Elevator

Elevator

You sit in your dorm room alone with your legs swinging off the bed. The quiet Saturday night you had imagined was disrupted by the party across the hall. Though you never cared much for parties you were still bothered over the fact that your best friend slash roommate, Jin-Hae, was invited. She didn’t even consider your absence, but you try to not let it get to you. You roll your head towards the glow-in-the-dark solar system on the ceiling than you catch a glimpse of the half-finished manuscript. It was a project of you started six months ago but has since been collecting dust on your desk. Even as it taunts from where it rests you fight the urge to work on it again. You have to think about it no longer because Lady GaGa’s “Bad Romance” pulses through your walls for what seemed like the hundredth time.
“That’s it.” You jump out of your well-worn pajamas and into a plain white t-shirt, jeans, a denim jacket, and a ruffled red scarf for fun. Walking towards the stair case you pass by the tall windows in the hall and catch a glimpse of the gloomy, grey sky. You decide bringing along an umbrella isn’t such a bad idea and run back to retrieve yours.

***

After running through a wind storm you stand in front of the library elevator, waiting to ride up to the top floor, also known as the quietest floor. Most students preferred hanging around the biology area where all the books with pictures were. Jin-Hae once made you tag along to one of these gatherings and as a result you lost all interest in biology. Another person comes to await the arrival of the elevator.  His hair hung in his eyes as he had his nose stuck in a book but it didn’t hide his pure skin and flawless features. Before he can catch you staring the bell dings and the elevator doors open. You reach for the number five button but his slender finger beats you to it.
“I got it.”
“How did you know I was going to the top floor?” The corners of his lips curve upward but his eyes remain glued to the pages of his book.
“You’re a regular. I see you there often.” His head jerks up, giving you the opportunity to finally catch a glimpse of his face.
“Not that I’ve been watching you or anything.” Without realizing it you giggle.  He lets out an awkward laugh as well. The countdown to the 5th floor almost barely reaches 10 seconds before the elevator jolts to a stop and the lights flicker. You groan.
“Great.”
“What’s wrong?” He asks with the face of a lost child.
“We’re stuck. It’s probably a power outage.”
“O-oh, so the lights won’t be working for long huh?” You nod without noticing the worry in his voice.
“Since we aren’t leaving anytime soon, I’m ________.” He squeezes your extended hand lightly.
“S-suho.” You swallow a giggle that would’ve been completely inappropriate considering the situation the two of you were stuck in.

***

Between your angry ranting and Suho calmly listening, you fall asleep. When you wake up he nearly scares you to death, sitting in a corner of the now dark elevator with the light from his cellphone screen lighting up his face.
“How long was I asleep?” Suho checks his wrist watch.
“Two hours and 37 mintues.”
“That long?” Suho nods.
“I guess that’s what late nights thinking about--stuff will do to you.” Suho smiles and then turns his attention back to his book.
“That must be one hell of a book.”
“Sorry?”
“You’ve been reading it nonstop for, according to you, two hours and 37 minutes.”
“It’s…good.”
“Can I see it?” You take it from Suho before he gets the chance to answer. You don’t even get to the synopsis after being entranced by the book cover. Half of women’s face is visible, all features loosely detailed except for the eyes: large, round, deep-chocolate brown, and lush lashes. The odd thing was it felt as if you’d seen such eyes before.
“It’s beautiful and hand drawn?” Suho smiles nervously.
“Yeah, I wish I had drawn it.” Since you no longer had anything to say about the cover you proceed to reading it. After a two and a half chapters Suho clears his throat matter-of-factly.
“Sorry. I don’t mean to ignore you.”
“You hate it don’t you? The book?” You shake your head.
“Why would you think that?”
“You’ve been scowling at the pages for two chapters now.” You laugh.
“Contrary to your assumptions this book is amazing! If I the author were here I would kiss him!” Suho’s face goes blank and even in the dark you could see his cheeks redden. When he doesn’t say anything you return to reading. After another chapter you get an extreme headache.
“Okay, enough reading for the night. How long have we been in here?” Suho nervously examines his watch.
“Three and a half hours.” You knock your head back against the metal wall. You pick up the book again, unsure of why you simply didn’t check the cover for the author whom you had previously expressed he desire to kiss. Scribbled on the cover are the initials S.H. Your eyes trail from the book to a sleeping Suho and then it hits you. S.H. Suho.
“Oh my—“ Suho’s eyes flutter open.
“What happened?” Before your mind can stop your body, you lunge yourself at the unsuspecting Suho and kiss him.
“I said I would kiss the author if he were here didn’t I?” Suho smiles.
“Even if it weren’t me, I’m not stopping you.” Suho leans in but the elevator doors suddenly fly open.
“Now you rescue us?!”