Killing Ants

Killing Ants

Do Kyungsoo has a less than conventional hobby. Killing insects. Ants especially. He would stomp on them, flatten them with his palm, drown them in water, basically torture them and watch them die.

 

Needless to say what spawned this hobby was the fact that Kyungsoo was special. When most boys his age liked playing soccer or just roughing it out in general, Kyungsoo and his overly scientific brain liked morbidity. No, he wasn't into violence or anything physical. He was interested in the more technical aspect. That was why biology was always Kyungsoo's favourite subject, because he got to dissect rats and frogs and various other animals in a precise and methodological manner.

 

Still, nothing could compare to killing insects. Although Kyungsoo was morbid, he was not into gore. He loathed blood. Blood was messy. Blood was a pain to clean up. Blood was low-class. To Kyungsoo, mastering the highest state of killing was not to leave a single trace behind. Insects were then a superb alternative. They were bloodless and didn't leave a mess (unless you counted a select few which spurted juice when you squashed them).

 

This hobby was naturally shocking to many. It was precisely because of this (coupled with a couple of other reasons) that contributed to Kyungsoo being a permanent outcast. Kyungsoo remembered the day where he was labelled as a social reject as clear as crystal. It was the first day of middle school and Kyungsoo had been eager to make a good impression.

 

Everything was going well. Kyungsoo had successfully managed to make small talk with a few of his classmates, some of which looked like potential friends. That is, until the teacher had asked them to introduce themselves and give one unique fact about themselves. Most kids went with something safe, like maybe their favourite colour or one character trait or their favourite book. Kyungsoo, not so wisely, had decided to announce his hobby.

 

"I'm Do Kyungsoo, and I like to kill ants. Well actually I like to kill insects in general, but ants are the best." For a minute the class was so silent that you could almost hear a pin drop. Then, as though on cue, the entire class burst into uproarious laughter. "That's, uh, an interesting hobby." His teacher had blanched. Afterwards she had mentally shoved him into the must-avoid-at-all-costs category amongst her students and avoided talking to Kyungsoo at all unless absolutely necessary.

 

Kyungsoo remembered how upset he had used to be. But in retrospect, maybe it wasn't so bad after all. And Kyungsoo liked to think that it was an impressive feat to possess a hobby that elicited a variety of responses from whoa it's so cool to excuse me are you mental.

 

Okay. So maybe most of them were on the mental side. The one who thought it was cool was a certain gangly giant by the name of Park Chanyeol who seemed to be made up of nothing but smiles and teeth and awkward and was currently Kyungsoo's best (and only) friend. Needless to say he wasn't any higher up the social ladder either. They had nothing in common and Kyungsoo hardly remembered how they came to be friends. But now, they were comfortable looking out for each other in school.

 

Kyungsoo didn't need to be popular. He didn't need to be liked. He was happy to remain an outcast. It meant nobody disturbing him from whatever he felt like doing. He was satisfied with his current life.

 

But all that was set to change.

 

-

 

"So you're saying that I have to go find this Do Kyungsoo person, is that it?" Jongin asked once more, raising an eyebrow. "Somehow, he doesn't sound like one who will solve my problems."

 

He was doubtful over the ant-exterminating abilities of this senior. Jongin had recently been plagued with an ant infestation in his house and he had been sleepless for days because he always worried that somehow, the ants would crawl onto his bed while he was sleeping. He had tried to search it up on the internet but all it rewarded him with was a huge number of disgusting images of piles and hordes of ants which made Jongin's blood crawl. And so he decided never to google the term "ant infestation" again. Feeling troubled he had come to Sehun for advice. Sehun always seemed to know everything.

 

"You don't know? That guy is a freakshow but he is also a terrific ant killer. He's the only one who can help you, otherwise you'd probably have to call in a professional pest exterminator. And they don't come cheap nowadays," said Sehun.

 

Jongin still looked doubtful. "Do. Kyung. Soo." The name rolled off his tongue. Jongin mindlessly traced his name over and over again on a piece of notepaper with a pencil. He often did this when he was contemplating something.

 

After a while, Jongin ce more to Sehun. "Wait, how did you know about this guy?"

 

"He was in the same class as me in 7th grade. It was freaking hilarious." Sehun's eyes narrowed a little as the corners of his mouth twitched up in reminiscence. "Do you know that he actually announced to the whole class that he liked killing ants? We laughed tons about it. That guy is really weird. His eyes are like they can read into the deepest depths of your soul," Sehun declared dramatically, "I was always a little afraid of him."

 

Jongin chuckled. Sehun could be a little overimaginative sometimes.

 

"Just make sure he doesn't find out your deepest, darkest secrets," warned Sehun, keeping a straight face.

 

"Sure," Jongin replied equally seriously, all the while trying not to smile.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo was killing ants as usual when he felt a pair of eyes boring into him from behind. This wasn't the first time it happened. Many a time had curious passers-by stared at him, probably wondering why a lunatic who killed ants was allowed to wander unguarded around town. It had happened too often, sometimes even accompanied by unfriendly jeers and hoots. So Kyungsoo had learned to ignore them. He continued flattening the ants with his shoe without missing a beat. The stranger could stare all he liked. Kyungsoo didn't care.

 

"Hey, what are you doing?" The stranger opened his mouth to ask. He seemed genuinely curious. , ignoring him didn't work. Resisting the urge to sigh, Kyungsoo turned around to face a dark-skinned boy with full lips and a perfect jawline. He was admittedly good-looking. Stuffing his hands into his hoodie, Kyungsoo wondered why the boy, of all people, would be talking to him. He looked like one of those popular kids who could have a load of friends without even trying. Although he didn't want to admit it, Kyungsoo was jealous of the boy, and he didn't even know him.

 

He must have zoned out for quite a while, because next thing he knew the tanned boy was poking him.

 

"Ow! What was that for?" Kyungsoo shouted, rubbing his arm.

 

"Sorry, you weren't answering." How polite, Kyungsoo thought. He still didn't want to answer the boy though, so he just glared at him, hoping that he would get the idea and go away.

 

"Hey! Stop ignoring me." The boy frowned.

 

"What do you want?" Kyungsoo asked gruffly. Why can't he get the hint and leave? I don't want to answer him just to get laughed at. This whole scene was far too predictable to Kyungsoo.

 

"Were you killing ants?"

 

Kyungsoo sighed. Looks like he won't be getting out of this one. "Yes. Duh." Then he braced himself and waited for that look to cross his face. But it never did. Instead, the boy cocked his head to one side, seemingly interested. Kyungsoo thought that maybe he was hallucinating.

 

"So, you enjoy this?" The boy awkwardly waved his hand to indicate Kyungsoo and the ant nest he was working on, along with the small pile of dead ants beside him.

 

"Would it be weird to say that I did?" Kyungsoo shrugged. Maybe now he'll leave and stop asking questions after he sees what a freak I am.

 

"That's really interesting," Seeing Kyungsoo narrow his eyes, the boy hurriedly added, "I meant it as a compliment."

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes wide because although that wasn't the first time that people had said that, it was the first time that it wasn't negative. Kyungsoo's eyes, already large, appeared now to be on the point of bursting out from his sockets.

 

Wow. His eyes are really no joke, Jongin thought. On anybody else it would have looked creepy but on Kyungsoo it just seemed adorable. Jongin frowned. Where did that thought come from?

 

“Uhh, okay? Now do you mind because I still have ants to kill." Kyungsoo began flattening the ants again. Surely such a good-looking (Kyungsoo hated to admit it, but yes) boy would have time better spent elsewhere than talking to a weirdo who kills ants. Why waste his time on me?

 

"Oh crap I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Jongin." Jongin smiled. Kyungsoo swore he must have been living in a hole for the greater part of his life because somehow that smile was the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. But pretty smiles didn't fool him.

 

"I'm Kyungsoo." If Jongin was gracious enough to introduce himself, Kyungsoo might as well return the favour. Even though he didn't really want to.

 

"I know." Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. He knows my name? Wait, is this guy some kind of creepy stalker or something? Kyungsoo shivered.

 

“Sehun told me about you," Jongin said, as if it was sufficient to explain everything. Obviously not. Kyungsoo had a million question marks popping in his brain but he kept quiet. Sehun... Yes, he did remember Sehun. He was one of his classmates in 7th grade. Tall, quiet, mostly expressionless. He had ignored Kyungsoo, just like the majority of his classmates. Thankfully, he didn't bully Kyungsoo in any way either.

 

He remembered talking to Sehun once. Sehun had stared at his eyes the whole time, like he was frightened of him. It was funny to think about now, that the freak who everyone ignored was actually feared by someone. But that was then. Sehun wouldn't give two ticks about him now.

 

There was no more conversation for the rest of the period. Jongin had probably sensed that Kyungsoo wasn't in the mood for conversation, so he just quietly sat there and watched, legs crossed, elbows on his knees, leaning forward contemplatively. Kyungsoo was secretly curious why Jongin stayed for what was so interesting about killing ants? Nobody treated it as a big deal except Kyungsoo himself.

 

After god knew how long, the last ant was squished by Kyungsoo.

 

"Damn, no more ants left." Kyungsoo stood up and stretched. He turned around and his eyes darted over to a certain boy sitting not more than a few metres away.

 

"You're still here?" Kyungsoo asked incredulously. To say that Kyungsoo was surprised was an understatement. He was absolutely mindblown. He had assumed that Jongin had left soundlessly sometime during his ant-killing rampage.

 

"Yeah," Jongin answered simply. Kyungsoo waited for him to elaborate and tell him that no, he wasn't watching Kyungsoo kill ants because that would be the most boring thing to do on earth and that he was perhaps just sitting there because he was tired and wanted some rest. Kyungsoo winced a little at the lame explanation that he concocted. Obviously Jongin would have a better reason for sitting there. But he just stood up and made to leave.

 

"Wait!" Kyungsoo shouted before he could stop himself. Jongin turned around.

 

"What is it?"

 

"You... What were you doing all that while?"

 

"I was watching you." Jongin said it as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Kyungsoo thought that maybe it was time to get his ears checked because no way did he just hear what he did.

 

"Watching what?" Kyungsoo asked again, just to make sure that he had heard it wrongly.

 

"You."

 

Or maybe not.

 

"Wait—what, I mean, why—" Kyungsoo spluttered. He was actually lost for words. Kyungsoo was never lost for words. This wasn't a good sign.

 

"It's interesting," Jongin remarked quietly. He gazed at Kyungsoo thoughtfully, which made him uncomfortable and squirm all over. What did that mean?

 

Before he could ask any more questions, Jongin had already turned around and left. Leaving Kyungsoo alone to ponder about why Jongin said that and what he meant.

 

He was still wondering when he got home, ate his dinner, finished his homework, and lay in bed. Try as he might, he simply could not figure out why Jongin had said that. Did he mean it as a compliment? Or maybe it was just an observation. Like looking at something red and saying "This is red." But why had Jongin then chose to observe Kyungsoo, of all people? And surely if Jongin was observing Kyungsoo he surely wouldn't have found it interesting because Kyungsoo was the most boring person ever. Maybe Jongin was referring to the action of killing ants, not Kyungsoo himself. Then it would make much more sense. Kyungsoo finally decided that Jongin was just making a comment on the absurdity of Kyungsoo's hobby. Yes, that's it. That was all he meant. Nothing more.

 

Yet something still gnawed at the back of his mind. It was that look that Jongin had when he said that. Kyungsoo couldn't quite place it.

 

Kyungsoo replayed the scene over and over in his mind. And all his previous conjectures fell apart. He found that he wasn't at all sure what Jongin was trying to say.

 

"It's interesting."

 

What the heck did that mean?

 

-

 

Kyungsoo had finally managed to convince himself that the remark was nothing of importance. It was okay really, he figured, because Jongin in all probability he wouldn't see again. They went to the same school, yes, but Jongin was a junior. Kyungsoo had remembered seeing him around once or twice, nothing more. And certainly he wouldn't come back again.

 

Kyungsoo started having serious doubts about his usually accurate predictions when barely ten minutes into his daily ritual, he saw Jongin walking down the sidewalk and waving. He probably is waving to someone else, not me. So Kyungsoo ignored him.

 

He felt a heavy arm sling across his back.

 

"Why did you ignore me?" Jongin asked, confusion evident in his face.

 

"Um... I didn't know you were waving to me." Kyungsoo stared at Jongin in disbelief.

 

"Who else would I be waving to? Nobody ever comes to this particular stretch of road," Jongin pointed out, and Kyungsoo remembered that that was why he picked it as his ant-killing spot in the first place. He suddenly felt a little faint.

 

"Then why are you here?"

 

"I've come to ask you a few questions. Why do you like killing ants?" Jongin asked, perplexed.

 

"You... wouldn't understand." He was right. Nobody ever did understand Kyungsoo's morbid interests nor his scientific mind. They just thought of him as a weirdo and Kyungsoo didn't bother to correct that impression. Why try when people wouldn't even care anyway?

 

"Just tell me. I'll try my best." Jongin gave a small smile of encouragement.

 

"Well... I hate everybody. And I want to kill people." Kyungsoo squashed a fat black ant that was crawling forlornly along the sidewalk. "And since it's illegal to kill people, I kill ants." Kyungsoo shrugged. He said it in the most serious tone possible, and it amused him to see Jongin's eyes widen in a mixture of shock and horror and... was that wonder?

 

Kyungsoo was amazed at how gullible Jongin was. He had just told a big fat lie and Jongin couldn't even tell.

 

"But why? Are you unloved?"

 

Kyungsoo snorted. "You could say that."

 

Jongin was confused. He was trying to grasp the fact that there actually existed people in this world who hated everybody else. Kyungsoo couldn't help it. He laughed.

 

"Look, I was pulling your leg. I don't hate everybody. I have friends, okay." Technically, that was true. It was just grammatically incorrect.

 

Chanyeol, no matter how tall he was, could only count as one friend at most.

 

Jongin scratched his head. "So then, why do you kill ants?"

 

"I... have my interests in different areas. I'm very morbid, actually. Like right now, I can actually envision myself making an incision in between your aorta and your vena cava, then digging out your heart..." Kyungsoo laughed as Jongin winced. It was not a very pretty picture that Kyungsoo had painted in Jongin's mind.

 

"Sorry, I'm just joking. Don't mind me. I get carried away sometimes. You're not actually a very good specimen to dissect anyway." Kyungsoo laughed.

 

Jongin was deliberating whether to be happy or sad at that last comment when Kyungsoo continued.

 

"But tell me. Why are you here? And why did you sit there like that yesterday? I mean, if you don't say anything it creeps me out cos it makes me think that you're a creepy stalker when actually I'm being delusional, because why would anyone stalk me?" Kyungsoo laughed, a little self-deprecatingly.

 

"Okay, so actually I have a favour to ask," Jongin admitted.

 

"I knew it." Kyungsoo looked victorious. He was right! Jongin was treating him so nicely for a reason.

 

"Like... I have this problem at home..." Jongin scratched the back of his neck, embarrassed to go on. Kyungsoo nudged him, so he took a deep breath and continued. "I have an ant infestation." Kyungsoo tilted his head to the side, waiting for Jongin to elaborate.

 

"It's really bad. I mean, I squish one and then there comes a... a herd of them swarming at me and then I douse all of them with water but the next day I still see dozens of them running all over my chocolates and bread and cookies and just... asdghjhjgl. I can't seem to get rid of them." For once Jongin had lost his cool exterior and became an incoherent mess, rubbing his face with his palms. Kyungsoo just stared at him dubiously. Jongin seemed to suddenly realise what he was doing, and let out an awkward cough before composing himself.

 

"Long story short, I need your help," Jongin pleaded.

 

Kyungsoo smiled. "Well, seems like you've come to the right person. I know practically everything there is to know about ants." That was not a lie. However nobody seemed to want to know about Kyungsoo's comprehensive knowledge in that area (he'd tried telling Chanyeol, but he complained that Kyungsoo was giving him nightmares). He wanted someone to share it with, so when Jongin asked, Kyungsoo was more than happy to oblige.

 

"Okay, firstly, you shouldn't go about killing ants that way, unless you want to attract more of them. Ants emit pheromones to communicate with fellow ants. When you squish one, the dead ant emits an attack pheromone which sends the whole lot of them into a frenzy. That's why when you crush an ant the ants around it start swarming around and going in circles," Kyungsoo explained.

 

For the first time in his eighteen years of existence Jongin started questioning his own sanity. Was this guy really lecturing him about the proper way to kill ants? Even in his wildest dreams Jongin wouldn't even have imagined that such a day would come.

 

For the rest of the period, Jongin listened, captivated. To be honest, he wasn't so much interested in the contents of what was said as the person who was saying it.

 

Before he came, he had expected to see a complete nutcase. Well, after yesterday, Jongin came to a conclusion that Kyungsoo... was indeed a nutcase. But not a complete one. Sure, he liked killing ants, which was kind of an unconventional hobby, but hey, that didn't mean anything. Lots of people had weird hobbies. And as Kyungsoo lectured on about the various things that Jongin had to do to get rid of his ant infestation, the latter found himself unwillingly drawn towards Kyungsoo's lips, which were rather full and tended to form interesting shapes as he spoke.

 

"—and so, the queen ant explodes and dies along with your ant problem. However if you manage to find the ant nest, pour boiling water over it. It sounds sadistic and cruel, but really, you just want to get rid of them, so it doesn't matter what method you use. They're all going to die anyway."

 

Kyungsoo paused. How long had he been rambling on for? Twenty minutes? Thirty? Kyungsoo didn't care. He had found a willing audience, albeit one with no choice, but he had someone to talk to and that was all that mattered for the moment.

 

"Lastly, the proper term for a group of ants is a colony or an army, not a herd," finished Kyungsoo calmly. Jongin widened his eyes. You've got to be kidding me. He even knows about all this?

 

"Go home and try it out. I guarantee it'll work. If not, I'll go fix it up personally." Kyungsoo assured him with all the air of confidence of someone who knew exactly what he was doing.

 

"O-Okay." Jongin managed to stutter.

 

-

 

To Jongin's utmost surprise, Kyungsoo's advice worked. He would never have thought that oatmeal was lethal to ants but the results of a few days effort proved him wrong. Ant appearances gradually lessened and Jongin did not have to keep all of his food in ziploc bags any longer. Resulting in him dancing around his kitchen in glee, which caused his parents to exchange worried looks, but Jongin didn't care.

 

Jongin was more than glad for Kyungsoo and his help. (And also to Sehun who introduced him.)

 

Jongin continued showing up regularly after that. Sometimes Jongin would consult him on the advantages and detriments of various ant extermination methods, to which Kyungsoo was more than happy to tell him. Sometimes, he would bring a book over and read quietly while watching Kyungsoo out of the corner of his eyes, mouth crinkling up into a smile every now and then when he subconsciously thought about how cute Kyungsoo looked. His mouth was set in a permanent line of determination, as if he wouldn't give up until every ant within sight was dead and buried. Not that he actually buried the ants though.

 

And Kyungsoo, although unwelcoming at first, gradually warmed up to him. Who wouldn't, when Jongin was polite and considerate? He offered tissues to Kyungsoo for cleaning up after every single ant massacre. Most importantly, he actually asked Kyungsoo questions about ants, and sometimes other animals. Kyungsoo of course welcomed him.

 

But despite all that, Kyungsoo had an underlying worry. To others, Kyungsoo had always been a mystery. The weird, socially awkward outcast who nobody really bothered about. And Kyungsoo liked it that way. He was good at solving things. Puzzles, riddles, people. He was used to figuring people out. Yet Jongin was one puzzle Kyungsoo couldn't solve. And Kyungsoo didn't like it one bit.

 

For someone who could read people like an open book, Kyungsoo was finding it more than difficult to read a certain boy. Which is why Kyungsoo felt extremely uncomfortable. He was supposed to be the enigma, not Jongin. For one, why had Jongin made small talk with him during the beginning days of their acquaintance? Kyungsoo, with his creative imagination could think of a million reasons why but none of them seemed to make any sense. And since Jongin's ant problem was solved, he should have left by now. Why bother hanging around?

 

Unless...

 

But no. That was impossible.

 

-

 

It didn't take Jongin long to realise that he was in love with Kyungsoo. It didn't take him long to come to terms with the fact either. Jongin didn't quite understand it though. Why he had fallen in love with a boy with owl eyes and a deceptively innocent face that masked a vicious killer inside. He didn't know what had attracted him to Kyungsoo at first, when they weren't even anything alike. Despite Kyungsoo's undeniable weirdness, Jongin had fallen for him.

 

"All I know is that love works in mysterious ways," said Jongin one day to Sehun.

 

"God, look at you. You're like a lovesick puppy." Sehun made a face. "And I thought you had higher standards than that."

 

"How is Kyungsoo not a reflection of my high standards, may I ask?" Jongin retorted, and Sehun forced himself not to laugh. He chose not to point out that it might be because Kyungsoo was a murderous social outcast with eyes as big as oranges because he knew that Jongin wouldn't give a damn about these and would probably ruffle Sehun's hair and laugh instead.

 

When Jongin first admitted his feelings for Kyungsoo Sehun was more than shocked. He was absolutely horrified.

 

"After I warned you about him, you go and fall in love with him? What the heck are you thinking?" Sehun had then proceeded to shake Jongin violently by the shoulders.

 

“Oi! Stop it! I'm being serious." Jongin whacked Sehun's hands away.

 

"But why? Why?" Sehun asked, perplexed. And Jongin couldn't explain it. How do you explain someone's perfection by putting it in words?

 

"Wait, you think he's perfect? But... he's so weird! And just... argh!" Sehun had complained. Jongin had no choice but to assure him that no, he was not insane and yes, he did indeed like Kyungsoo, including his weirdness and everything.

 

"Can you imagine when people ask you to introduce your boyfriend? You can say 'This is Do Kyungsoo,' and it's painless enough, but what if they ask you about his ambitions? What he likes to do? 'Kyungsoo likes to kill ants. He's a very good ant-killer. He helped me with the ant infestation in my home once.' Can you say that? Would you say that?" Sehun shrieked, causing Jongin to flinch momentarily.

 

Oh yeah. Jongin had not exactly thought of that. But he shrugged and assured Sehun that he'd work something out soon.

 

Sehun, though still not exactly pleased with Jongin's choice of crush had to admit that he did not entirely disapprove of it. Simply because Jongin had changed. He'd become happier, and was less quick to get into a temper. Oftentimes Jongin would burst out into random bouts of laughter, while a bewildered Sehun asked him what was so funny. To which Jongin would sometimes start detailing to him every single moment with Kyungsoo that day, or sometimes he would just smile blissfully and whisper "Kyungsoo" like it explained everything.

 

Just like how Sehun had tactfully put it, "You're a goner for him."

 

"If you like him so much, why don't you just ask him out already?" He couldn't put up with it any longer, and asked. Jongin looked absolutely horrified at the idea.

 

"But, you know, I don't know what he thinks yet. What if he's not interested?" Jongin couldn't help but think of all the possible outcomes of what might happen.

 

Scenario #1: Kyungsoo accepts gleefully, and they kiss.

 

Scenario #2: Kyungsoo keeps quiet.

 

Scenario #3: Kyungsoo gets upset and cries.

 

Scenario $4: Kyungsoo slaps or punches him.

 

Scenario #5: Kyungsoo stuffs ants in his shirt.

 

Scenario #2271: Kyungsoo glares at him murderously while stuffing him with oatmeal— wait what?

 

Jongin shook his head vigorously. It must be due to his recent lack of sleep. He lowered his voice a little. "Y'know, as much as I like him, I can't help being a bit scared of him. He jokes about dissecting me and cutting me up with a surgical knife! And he does bring a lighter with him all the time..." He shivered.

 

Sehun couldn't help being a little amused at Jongin's reaction. "How do you know he doesn't like you back?"

 

"Well... I can't tell actually. He's always so neutral, so calm and composed... Even if he has any feelings I doubt he would let on." Jongin said sadly. He just wished that Kyungsoo would give an inkling as to what he felt so he wouldn't be so unsure of himself now.

 

"Then just give it a shot. You won't know until you've tried, will you?" Sehun handed him a penknife. "Here. It's for protection. Just in case, y'know, anything really happens."

 

Jongin laughed. "Thanks. But I won't need it."

 

-

 

Kyungsoo would hardly have liked to admit it, but he was fast getting used to Jongin becoming a regular part of his life. More than it was necessary, at least. Kyungsoo didn't know why he was so eager for Jongin to come when the first day they had met, he wanted nothing more than Jongin to leave. Kyungsoo despised himself for being so fickle-minded. But Kyungsoo couldn't hide his feelings, so he had to admit that maybe, he did feel the tiniest bit of something for Jongin.

 

Squashing yet another ant, Kyungsoo surreptitiously stole a glance at his watch for the sixth time in ten minutes. Nope, he totally was not pining for a particular boy with bronzed skin.

 

"Just admit it already, you like him!" Chanyeol's voice had boomed out more than once, earning loud shushes from Kyungsoo. "Just like I like Baekhyun." Chanyeol continued dreamily. His words were met with Kyungsoo's annoyed denial every time. Chanyeol had snickered and said that denial confirmed his love even more to which Kyungsoo promptly replied that he would like to punch all his teeth off.

 

Chanyeol had said no more then. But that incident hadn't shut his mouth up at all.

 

"Face it. The guy actually shows interest in what you do and he doesn't treat you badly. And he doesn't judge you too. He's one in a million. If I were you I'd have fallen head over heels for him already." Chanyeol slowly ticked off the reasons why Kyungsoo should go out with Jongin on his fingers, while Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at every single one of them.

 

"Plus, he's hot. That's the most important," finished Chanyeol. Kyungsoo scoffed. Since when was Chanyeol into giving relationship advice?

 

"You're shameless! Keep your eyes on your Baekhyun." Kyungsoo threw a punch at Chanyeol's shoulder, which he failed to dodge and therefore ended up wailing in loudly in pain. Kyungsoo continued without thinking. "If I went along and fell for every single person that doesn't think I'm a weirdo, wouldn't I have a crush on you?"

 

Chanyeol's face changed a little. "But that's just it. You did."

 

And then Kyungsoo immediately regretted what he had said. Why was I such a big mouth? Chanyeol and Kyungsoo had a sort of history. There was a period in time after they became friends that Kyungsoo, for some reason that was now unknown to him, started crushing on Chanyeol. It wasn't anything much though, and was over almost as soon as it had begun. Both of them were quite pleasant about it, but it was a mutually awkward event. So they avoided bringing it up as much as possible.

 

"Sorry. I shouldn't have said that." Kyungsoo apologised, voice quiet. Nobody said anything for a while. The tension was getting more and more awkward. Then Chanyeol laughed. His loud, obnoxious snorting laugh that Kyungsoo usually complained about but today, he was thankful for it.

 

"It's okay. So, what do you think of lover boy?"

 

"Stop calling him that!"

 

"But you're always flirting up a storm with him." Chanyeol chuckled. Kyungsoo resisted the urge to punch that stupid grin off Chanyeol's mouth.

 

"Okay, fine. Maybe in all probability I should fall for him. But you know what? I won't. That's that." Kyungsoo declared with a tone of finality that Chanyeol did not dare challenge. That conversation, which happened two days ago, was the most recent one they had on the subject.

 

Kyungsoo was feeling extremely murderous today for no particular reason so he built a fire and burnt all the dead ants, killing some live ones in the process. Kyungsoo always kept a lighter in his pocket. What? He needed it for days like these. Burning ants was an excellent way to destress.

 

He was indulging himself in the delicious crackling of charred ants so he didn't notice the arrival of a certain someone.

 

"Whoa, feisty today, are we?" A voice drawled behind him. Kyungsoo hurriedly doused the flame with water. The remains were a sight to behold. Burnt ants littered the pavement, scattered around patternlessly. A few ants which had been badly charred but were still alive were wriggling on the ground helplessly. Kyungsoo, pitying them, brought them to a painless end by squishing them.

 

At least they didn't suffer for too long.

 

"Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo didn't need to turn around to know who had came.

 

"Been waiting long?" Jongin asked playfully, swinging his arm over Kyungsoo's shoulder.

 

"Nope, I was so engrossed that I didn't really notice the time," lied Kyungsoo apologetically. Jongin, of course, readily believed him.

 

"You make me so sad." A pout formed on Jongin's pretty lips. Who did that fellow think he was, acting all lovey-dovey with him? Kyungsoo frowned. He was still his hyung after all.

 

Then, Kyungsoo realised with a start that he didn't acknowledge what his relationship with Jongin was. Were they acquaintances? Friends? Friends who argued about pesticides? Kyungsoo wasn't sure.

 

So Kyungsoo decided to consult Jongin.

 

"Jongin. Can I ask you something? Answer me honestly." Kyungsoo pushed Jongin off his shoulder and stood up, dusting off his school uniform as a matter of habit.

 

"Sure. Ask away." Jongin sat lazily on the sidewalk, hands and legs stretched out in all directions, eyes never leaving the sky.

 

Kyungsoo thought for a moment. He did not know how exactly to put it to Jongin.

 

"What is our relationship?" Kyungsoo finally asked. Jongin looked at Kyungsoo sharply. He wanted to laugh, but then he saw that Kyungsoo meant what he'd asked. His face was in earnest as he awaited Jongin's reply.

 

Jongin's face hardened imperceptibly. You don't know? You seriously don't know?

 

"Do we even have a relationship to begin with?" Kyungsoo wondered aloud.

 

And then Jongin got angry.

 

"Look." Jongin said gruffly. "I don't know if you're really stupid or you're just playing me."

 

Kyungsoo's eyes were so big they took up almost half his face. Jongin looked different from the usual playful boy. He looked fierce. And hot, Kyungsoo's inner voice whispered but Kyungsoo mentally smothered it with a pillow and left it to die.

 

"All this time, I was in love with you! And I still am!" Maybe it was due to anger, or maybe it was due to exasperation, but Jongin finally got those words that he'd wanted to say out of his chest.

 

Kyungsoo peered at him curiously, owl eyes looking him up and down. He didn't say a word. The silence was unbearable, and Jongin twitched uncomfortably. Maybe the way he said it was too fierce. He should have planned it properly, been more romantic, that sort of thing. Would it be too late to rush to the corner shop and buy some flowers?

 

"Y-You do?" Kyungsoo croaked uncertainly after a few minutes, wide eyes never leaving Jongin's face.

 

"Yes."

 

"Um... this is embarrassing but well, I actually think I like you too..." Kyungsoo admitted, blushing. He then desperately tried to rid himself of the blush because god, was it embarrassing but Jongin's grin just grew wider and wider.

 

Kyungsoo decided that his prediction skills were getting worse when much to his surprise, Jongin grabbed him and kissed him. And Kyungsoo didn't complain. Time stopped. He could taste Jongin's minty breath and he could feel his hands on his back and he could smell the slight perspiration on Jongin's forehead and most importantly, he could see Jongin's perfect face millimetres from him, and he liked it very much indeed.

 

Kyungsoo shifted his weight and Jongin took a step backwards. Kyungsoo was brought back to reality by a shrill scream which he was pretty sure would have made him deaf if it were just one decibel louder.

 

”AHHHH!" Jongin had stepped on an ant nest. A red ant nest, to be exact. He was now flailing around terrifyingly like a madman while red ants scrambled up his leg.

 

"Help me, Kyungsoo! Help!"

 

Sometimes Kyungsoo's hobby could be of use after all.

 

-

 

"I wonder what it would be like to retrieve your heart, beating and bloody, from your lifeless body... I love you so much I want to kill you and chop you up into pieces..." Kyungsoo murmured as Jongin trailed kisses down his neck. As Jongin soon discovered, Kyungsoo liked to be morbid practically all the time, and so he learnt to live with it. And as Jongin would learn later, Kyungsoo had particularly morbid fantasies as well.

 

It always somewhat disturbed Jongin to hear those sadistic words being uttered by such a nice boy who looked as if he could not possibly do any harm. But Jongin had long learned not to judge people by their appearances. Along with the list of many other things that Jongin had learned from his amazing boyfriend.

 

Such as the best remedy for red ant stings.

 

And of course, humility, sincerity, honesty and generosity. Along with a bunch of other virtues.

 

Chanyeol had somehow also managed to win the heart of the elusive Baekhyun by showing off his Transformers collection (it turned out that Baekhyun was a fan, too). Also, as Baekhyun later admitted, he'd had a thing for "awkward potatoes". Chanyeol couldn't be happier.

 

School days weren't mundane anymore for Kyungsoo. Not with Jongin constantly going to find him in the cafeteria for lunch and maybe to sneak a few kisses in between. Not with Baekhyun and Chanyeol constantly flirting up a storm in front of him. Not with Sehun, previously thought to have zero emotions, now constantly pining and whining for a certain doe-eyed boy named Luhan.

 

And maybe Kyungsoo could get used to it after all.


A/N:

OH MY GOD. LIKE WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK DID I WRITE.

KILLING ANTS. SERIOUSLY. I MUST BE NUTS. I WRITE THE WEIRDEST STORIES.

EHH. SORRY KYUNGSOO FOR MAKING YOU SOUND MENTAL. I'M REALLY SORRY ;_;

I think I got inspiration from that ant that I squashed a few days back. Coupled with my morbid imagination, and, kaboom! you have this retarded fic. Maybe this sounds weird as a oneshot and would have ended up better as a chaptered fic, but some chapters are too short and I'm too lazy to write them any longer. I think Kyungsoo is sort of modelled after me, I mean the part about his morbidity and stuff, cos yeah I am extremely slightly morbid but I hate gore which is really contradictory. And about the part where he lacks love. Yeah, that's me right there.

BUT NO LEMME GET THIS STRAIGHT FIRST I DON'T ENJOY KILLING ANTS. *sobs* why can't I ever write normal stories ;A;

My writing style is horrible. As usual. I'm super conflicted between the present and the past tense I couldn't decide which to write in and so in the end I chose past tense since it's my usual style. What's better to write in? Any tips? It seems to me like all the nice fics I read are in the present tense though.

I shall proceed to hide in a corner. Goodbye.