First snow

First Snow

 

“Ugh,” I groaned as I tripped over something on the street while I was walking from the store, where I bought medicine for myself.

I couldn’t saw, since I was blind from the time I can remember. I never knew how the sky looks like, what color is what and how people even look like. I always wandered in the never-ending darkness. It bugged me sometimes, when I tripped over something and couldn’t find what I lost, but going to special school, I gained some abilities to do things that I couldn’t do before; like walking alone, getting things myself, etc.

“Where is it?” I whispered to myself as I was searching for small bottle that rolled god knows where. I sighed and ruffled my hair.

“Did you lost this?” a sweet male voice suddenly asked from in front.

“Is that a bottle?” I asked as my cheeks turned lightly pinkish.

“Yeah?” he muttered. “Here,” he said. I put my hands in front and he gave it to me. I examined it and realized that it’s the right bottle.

“Thank you,” I smiled and tried to walk away, but a hand stopped me. “U-uhm, I-I have to go…” I said stuttering a little.

“You almost stepped on the road where cars are driving fast.” He said. My cheeks turned reddish as I smiled nervously.

“Thank you,” I thanked again and bowed.

“Let me help you,” he said. “Where do you live?” he asked.

“It’s few streets away, orange house.” I answered.

“I know where it is,” he chuckled and started walking, holding my hand tightly.

As we were walking down the street, my heart was beating fast, like I was running just few seconds ago. I bit my lower lip because I couldn’t control my feelings. It was the first time someone ever helped me with anything.

“We’re here,” he said as I heard that someone opened the doors.

“Rae Jin?” mom called me.

“I shall go now,” he said and released my hand, but this time I stopped him. As I felt his eyes on me again, I slowly put my hands on his face.

His skin was soft, like baby skin. He had short, a little wavy hair, which I found my cheeks turning reddish again. Then my fingers went to his jaw line and at the end, at his lips. He shivered a little as I touched his lips slowly and gently, feeling his breath on the palms. A smile appeared on my face as I held his hands.

“Thank you,” I said bowing and slowly walked towards the doors. Mom held my hands and helped me to walk inside the house, into kitchen.

“What were you doing with Kyuhyun?” she asked as I sat down.

“Who?” I was confused.

“Kyuhyun,” she repeated his name.

“It was Kyuhyun?” I was surprised. “As Cho Kyuhyun from Super Junior?” I asked.

“That’s right.” she agreed. “I was quite surprised when I saw him as he helped you to the doors.” She said. I was shocked, but more over surprised.

I always liked this group that is called Super Junior. They helped me to stood back up and face the world, one more time, because of their cheerful and happy songs. Even when Kyuhyun joined the group and I heard his voice I instantly grew to like him, even more than Siwon, who was my bias.

Why did he help me, a blind girl? I thought to myself as I was replying his face gestures inside my head, trying to picture him. Without knowing, a smile crossed my face and smiled till I fell asleep, thinking of him.

When I woke up the next morning, it was already 10am, mom walked inside my room, helping me to dress up, which was unusual.

“What’s wrong?” I asked as we walked downstairs.

“Shush,” she put a finger on my lips, preventing me to talk.

“Mom,” I whined under her finger and she still didn’t move it. After we came into kitchen, I felt another presence there. Sometimes, I really hated being blind, but I couldn’t help with it.

“Guess who’s here…” mom sat me down on the chair, right next to the person who came on the visit. He took my hands and I recognized him immediately.

“K-Kyuhyun?” I stuttered.

“Yes,” he chuckled and put one hand on my cheek. I felt they got hotter as he touched my jaw line. “Can I take her to the park?” he asked, with his face still turned to me.

“Sure,” mom answered, probably dying from happiness. My cheeks turned dark reddish and put my hand in front of me embarrassed. “I’ll tell dad that you went out, so feel free to go.” She added chuckling.

“Arraso,” Kyuhyun nodded and helped me to stand up. I slowly stood up and walked to the hallway with his help. Mom put shoes on my feet and jacket as well.

“Have fun,” she whispered in my ear and patted my back. Kyuhyun held my hand again and we walked outside the house, slowly and carefully walking on the road. After, what seemed half an hour, we reached the park, where he seated me on the bench and sat beside me, holding my hands tightly.

“I’ve heard from your mom,” he suddenly spoke, making me startled.

“What did she tell you?” I asked carefully, though I had an idea what.

“As a kid you had an accident, where you’re eyes got hurt, making you blind.” He answered. I bit my lip and lowered my head. To tell the truth, I don’t really remember what happened; I only know on what my parents told me.

“I see,” I chuckled and raised my head back up. I really wish I could see… I thought as I felt warmth on my face from the sun. Suddenly I became teary, remembering that I will never see again, since mom and dad are searching for eyes for 5 years already.

“What’s wrong?” he asked worried and touched my cheeks with his hand. I smiled sadly and wiped my tear away that escaped my eye.

“It’s just that … I want to see… I want to see the sky, my parents, snow, you…” I whispered as I couldn’t talk loudly. “I want to see … you…” I repeated even more quietly.

***

“Rae Jin, they found someone who can give his eyes.” mom run into my room.

“Really?” I squealed. She hugged me tightly as I smiled widely. I’ll finally be able to see. I thought and quickly a picture of Kyuhyun showed in my head again. I’ll be able to see him.

“The doctor said that we have to go in hospital tomorrow, so rest for today.” She said and patted my back. I nodded in agreement and bit my lower lip.

“I,” I suddenly started. “I want to call Kyuhyun and tell him.” I smiled.

“Arraso, I’ll call him.” Mom ruffled my hair and walked out of the room. I lied down on my bed and started thinking of the future already; my future with Kyuhyun and my family. An hour passed by quickly and the doors opened, hearing Kyuhyun: “Is it true?” all breathless.

“It is,” I smiled. He run to me and hugged me tightly, kissing me.

“I’m happy for you,” he whispered. Something bugged me. His voice was different, sadder, like something was preventing him to be happy.

“Kyu,” I called him and slowly pulled away. “Are you okay? What’s wrong?” I asked and cupped his face in my hands. Then I felt something warm and watery streaming down his cheeks. “Are you crying?” I asked.

“No,” he said and held my hands away from his face.

“Kyu, don’t lie to me…” I said knowing that he’s lying. “You know that I can tell if a person is lying or not…”

“I’m fine and I’m only crying from happiness.” He said and kissed my forehead. “I’m happy that you’ll be able to see the world around you.” He added whispering. I smiled and let him cuddle with me for the whole day as well as singing with his sweet voice, making me to fall asleep hundreds of times, until I was standing in the hospital.

“Are you ready?” the doctor asked. I quietly nodded, biting my lip, while holding Kyuhyun’s hand tightly. “Let’s go then,” she said and started walking.

“I’m going,” I said as I turned to Kyuhyun.

“Arraso,” he said and hugged me tightly.

“Wait for me, okay?” I asked. He didn’t say a thing. He kissed me on the forehead and released me as nurse helped me. “Kyuhyun?” I called his name as I suddenly got lost. I didn’t know where I am and who is with me.

“It’s okay Rae Jin, he’s outside the operation room.” a female voice answered. I smiled from relief and lied on the bed as I got a mask on my mouth.

“Count from ten backwards.” Another female voice said. I nodded and started counting backwards as she told me: “10, 9, 8, 7 … 6 …… 5 ……”

***

“When I’ll move the bandages, slowly open your eyes, arraso?” the doctor instructed as she was already slowly moving the bandages from my eyes. I nodded in excitement. I couldn’t wait to see anymore; to see mom, dad, people around me, sky and … Kyuhyun.

“Okay,” the doctor muttered as I didn’t have any bandages around my eyes. “Now slowly open your eyes.” She instructed. I nodded and did as she said. Slowly opening my eyes I started seeing light and when I fully opened my eyes.

As I looked around, I saw blurry pictures at first, which soon came zoomed. Seeing three women, from 20 to 50 years old, in the room a wide smile appeared on my face. There was a woman, in her late 40’s, standing next to me, looking at me with her straight hair, reaching her shoulders.

“M-mom?” I asked carefully. She smiled widely and nodded, suddenly hugging me tightly around my neck. “Y-yah, you’re suffocating me.” I chuckled, but hugged her back either way. After she pulled away I looked at doctor and nurse who were smiling at the scene.

“Where is dad?” I asked as I remembered that few people are missing.

“He’s working,” mom answered.

“What about Kyuhyun?” I asked again. I couldn’t saw him anywhere. Mom’s face darkened a little, but she still managed to smile, answering: “Work,” shortly.

“Aigoo,” I sighed and bit my lower lip. My gaze went to the window where I saw blue sky with clouds covering it somewhere. Slowly standing up, with the help of mom and nurse, I made my way towards window and put a hand on it, looking up into sky.

“It’s beautiful,” I smiled.

One year later

“Mom, I’m going on work!” I yelled from hallway as I put my shoes on. I’m working in cake shop, which is only few streets away.

“It’s slippery outside, watch out!” she yelled from the kitchen.

“Got it!” I yelled back and opened the doors making a wind that shivered to my bones.

I haven’t seen snow and this year is the first time I ever will. I can’t wait for it, seeing how it’s slowly and quietly falling down on the city and trees. But it isn’t the same anymore, since I didn’t see or hear from Kyuhyun after I walked into operation room. It bugged me a lot. I even went to SME, to see if he’s there, but they said that he’s not working for a time being. Even his friends, Super Junior, don’t know where he is.

But one thing I am happy about … just as I pictured his face, that’s how he looked like in real life. He was gorgeous and beautiful.

As I was walking down the street, I was looking around when I suddenly saw a familiar person in the park, sitting on the bench all alone. Slowly approaching him, I realized he’s wearing sunglasses.

Sunglasses in the winter? I thought to myself as I bit my lower lip. He had brown hair, and the same face as Kyuhyun. My eyes widened as I covered my mouth. Right when he stood up, a picture fell out of his pocket. He was slowly walking away, while I picked the picture looking at it.

There was a girl with boy, smiling from the bottom of their hearts. I recognized the boy and girl immediately; it was Kyuhyun and me. From the picture I looked after Kyuhyun as he was walking towards road, where cars were driving fast.

“Watch out!” I yelled and run after him, pulling his hand.

“Thank you,” he said, giving one of his sweet smiles, while bowing lightly. He tried to walk away, but I was still holding his hand.

“Don’t you recognize me?” I asked with broken voice. He looked back in my way, with his smile disappearing. “D-don’t you … recognize me … at all?” I repeated and fell on my knees as tears started streaming down my cheeks. He kneeled next to me and cupped my face into his hands, examining it.

“Rae Jin?” he asked, sounding surprised.

“Yes,” I nodded and looked at him. “W-why?” I stuttered.

“Because I love you,” he smiled and kissed my forehead. I looked at him again and then into the sky as white flies were starting to fall down. “It’s snowing,” he chuckled and looked up into the sky.

For the first time I can see the ones I love. For the first time I do what I really want to do. For the first time I can see with the eyes of the man I love...