Of Christmas Wishes... Part IV

Of Christmas Wishes and New Year's Resolutions

 

“This is our last song. Thank you so much for spending time with us tonight.” The guy with the guitar bowed politely. He had a very cute face with sharp features and short dark hair. The girl next to him was even cuter – with bright eyes that disappeared whenever she smiled – and she smiled a lot! Pretty much every time she looked at her boyfriend, her eyes turned into little half-moons; face glowing with love and the security of knowing that she was loved back. Hyoyeon felt pangs of envy but brushed those thoughts away hurriedly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unknowingly she has spent more than an hour in the park.

 

“Jagiya, your hands are cold. Hold this!”

Hyoyeon turned to her left at the couple who appeared to be in their mid-twenties. They were wearing matching couple sweaters and coats in Christmas colors. She smiled wistfully as the man placed a warm can of coffee in his companion’s hands, before linking arms together and turning their focus back to the performance.

A sigh escaped her lips and she could see her breath leaving her body in little white puffs. ‘So it’s still cold outside,’ she thought dully, ‘why does my heart feel so numb?’

‘You have suffered enough

And warred with yourself

It's time that you won…

take this sinking boat and point it home..’

 

The lyrics really touched Hyoyeon's heart. It was like the couple was indirectly sending a message of encouragement to her. She was on the verge of crying but sensing others sitting on the other end of the bench, she quickly blinked the tears away.

 

“Sunny-ah, we have been together since high school. You are my first love and I want you to be my last love too..”

“Sungmin oppa, what are you saying?”

The crowd was squealing at the thought of what was coming next.

Not wanting to take her attention away from this romantic moment, Hyoyeon distractedly moved her things closer to herself – making room for the newcomers. A person scooted closer.

‘Probably more people joining them’ she figured out quickly. The boy - Sungmin- was now down on one knee; this was the highlight! So, not removing her eyes off the couple, Hyoyeon picked her stuff up placing them on her lap.

The person moved even closer – like right next to her.

Hyoyeon frowned. ‘Aish, is this a ert? I am SO not in the mood for this!’ She decided to ignore whoever it was – after all, the proposal was almost over and she would go home right after.

“Sunkyu, Sunny, Sunshine.. I want to call you by only one name now – wife. I know I don’t make a lot of money as a musician and I don’t have a lot of luxuries to offer like the suitors your family has picked for you, but I promise, everything I do from this day on, will be to make you happy and comfortable. So, Lee SunKyu will you marry me, Lee Sungmin?”

The girl Sunny was now sobbing – as were many girls in the crowd. Hyoyeon felt her eyes watering too.

 

“Are you really going to cry, Kim Hyoyeon?” a soft whisper into the shell of her ear.

Hyoyeon jumped back in alarm and came face to face with a smirking Hyukjae.

 

“You almost gave me a heart attack!” she punched his arm but Hyukjae quickly shushed her. “Are you trying to ruin their happy moment? Behave!” With that, he folded his arms ignoring Hyoyeon’s indignant reaction and watched as Sunny jumped into Sungmin’s arms and kissed him on the lips.

The crowd hooted and clapped as the happy couple took a bow. Hyoyeon and Hyukjae both got on their feet as well.

============================================================================

“I’m going home now. I’ll see you later, Hyukjae.” Hyoyeon grabbed her things.

The area was almost empty now – the crowd having dispersed right after the newly engaged pair left. The lighting had also been dimmed and the chilliness returned to Hyoyeon. She hastily wrapped her scarf around her neck and shoved her hands into her pockets feeling them turn rigid and icy.

A tiny part of her wanted to remain with Hyukjae a bit longer but she shook those thoughts away. The only way to stop her feelings was to quit cold turkey. What’s more- he didn’t seem to care that she was leaving anyway. Hyukjae stayed seated on the bench, distracted with his own thoughts.

Hyoyeon turned around and walked away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey! You forgot something!”

Hyoyeon looked back and found Hyukjae holding a big red box with a golden bow.

“That’s not mine!” she was puzzled, “maybe, whoever sat on the bench before you left it?”

Hyukjae peered at the card, “I don’t think so! It says – to Kim Hyoyeon.”

Hyoyeon narrowed her eyes at him – his eyes were crinkling at the sides with a barely concealable grin. “What are you up to, Lee Hyukjae?”

“Fine, you caught me!” he chuckled happily, “it’s your Christmas gift. I bought it on the way here and was going to wait until Siwon’s party but I found you here so… let’s just exchange presents today!”

“But I don’t have your present yet…”

“That’s alright, open yours first.”

 

“But Hyuk…”

“No buts! Just take it.”

Hyoyeon felt her heart thump wildly. ‘Did he follow me from the café? But what about his date with Sung-mi sunbae?’

“Yah, are you taking it or not? My hand’s starting to hurt.”

Hyoyeon accepted the gift, her cheeks feeling flushed and warm.

“Open it!” His eyes were twinkling brightly.

“Right now?.. oh.. ok.” She untied the ribbon carefully and then lifted up the red lid.

 

 

 

 

*Bam*

Hyoyeon let out a shriek as a colorful jester sprung out of the box with a sign “JOKE'S ON YOU!”

“hahahahahahaha your face, Hyoyeon!” Hyukjae spurted out, unable to breathe properly, “You should’ve seen your face! Priceless!”

Hyoyeon bit the insides of her cheeks – disappointment, shock, annoyance, embarrassment – there were too many emotions going through her. Hyukjae, however, didn’t seem to notice. “Pranking you is always the best!” he exclaimed in a high-pitched tone while wiping tears from his eyes, “Sungmi noona helped me pick it out. Even she knew your expression would be the best!”

-and heartbreak.

“Haha, you got me Hyukjae,” she forced out a laugh as her eyes started prickling for the tenth time today. She desperately needed to let it all out and have a proper cry. “Good one! But I don’t have your present so I’ll get you back next time, ok? Good night.”

 

 

“Hey Hyoyeon, Are you really leaving?” his voice had finally returned to normal after all the laughing.

 

“Yes I am” she walked away without looking back, “Goodbye Hyukjae.”