Of Christmas Wishes... Part III

Of Christmas Wishes and New Year's Resolutions

                                

Hyoyeon blinked a couple of times, unable to voice a proper reaction while Hyukjae just stood there – watching … until slowly, a cheeky grin made its way across his face. The sides of his eyes crinkled and he stuck his tongue out slightly, pointing his index finger up – “Mistletoe!” The grin then turned into a full blown smile - all gums - and he ruffled her hair lightly.

Realization colored the girl’s pretty brown eyes. ‘What else were you expecting, pabo!’ So, mustering up all her strength she pushed him away.

The boy stumbled backwards into a display of coffee mugs causing a commotion. Luckily, he managed to steady himself and the display at the very last second. When he looked up, all he could see was the bell on the door swinging away merrily - signalling her departure.

She was gone.

 

“Order number 72? Please come to the counter. Order number 72.”

Hyukjae looked down at the receipt in his hand - there was a brief moment of hesitation - but he eventually turned and headed to pick up his order.

 

‘Stupid Hyukjae! Even stupider Hyoyeon! Why did you let him do that? Why do you always let him do that, you fool.’

Mild curse words were leaving Hyoyeon’s mouth along with foggy wisps of air as she trudged home. The streets weren’t as busy now so she walked at her own pace – replaying what had taken place a little while ago and imagining the 100 different ways she could have reacted and saved her pride. But when it really came down to it – she never could. It was her fault, honestly!

Hyukjae is a famous Casanova around their college. But she actually knew him before he developed this persona so when he started becoming a ladies’ man, she was at a loss on how to react. Her crush – the friend she had secretly liked for so long – now had a line-up of girls vying for his attention. And he was only too happy to indulge in his popularity; flirting and dishing out compliments liberally like Santa handing out presents. Not that it changed who he was as a person – which made it all that much harder for Hyoyeon to move on. He continued to be an amazing friend – always there to cheer her up when she was down or just provide company on boring days. But every-time some other female was on the scene, he would pick on and tease Hyoyeon or ignore her – depending on his mood.  Just like today, here he was on a date and he still managed to make a fool out of her.

Hyoyeon sighed at what she was doing to herself. "This ends now…" but quickly changed her mind. "I mean.. tomorrow!’' After all, she had liked him for so long, she needed at least a day to let go of him.  ‘I hope Seohyun hasn’t thrown out The Notebook DVD like she threatened… and that ice cream better still be in the freezer too or else little maknae is going to get it from me when she comes home! No.... maybe I should drop by the convenience store, just in case. Or should I get soju instead? I’m sure I can clean up any evidence before Seohy—‘

Something stopped her in her tracks. It was the sound of a lone guitar with two voices – a girl and a boy – coming from somewhere near the park. She stood completely still and listened. The blended harmony, though mellow, had an unexplainable power filling the air with a sense of magic. And a strange feeling overcame Hyoyeon - like she really could feel Christmas and the love and hope all around her. 

Hyoyeon changed direction and walked towards the beautiful melody.

 

She followed the sound to the quiet end of the park. A small crowd was gathered around the singing couple. The streetlamp and their pure affection for each other illuminated their faces. This was love.

 

The air was still chilly but somehow the beauty of the music and the warmth radiating from the contented crowd seemed to take away the bite of the cold. Hyoyeon loosened the scarf bundled halfway across her face and drew her still warm mocha to her lips, letting the liquid warm her insides too.

Gazing around, she self-consciously realized that almost everyone was coupled up. There was an invisible line dividing her from them. So settled down at the far end of one of the benches – away from the hugging, smiling, kissing pairs - and quietly smiled to herself. 

‘Next year.'

 

 

Next Christmas she will return her with a boyfriend of her own. She is going to give up this pointless one-sided love business and find someone who will reciprocate her feelings.

Next Christmas, Lee Hyukjae will be a name like any other.

 

 

Merry Christmas dear readers. apologies for the general iness of this chapter. i am writing it in semi-drunk on turkey and eggnog stupor. i made a goal to have this up by Christmas but i should probably have waited. Apologies also for the not so perfect happy ending. hope you still enjoyed reading. thanks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

p.s there will be an epilogue or full fourth chapter