The Future

Key to Her Soul

Chapter Three: The Future

 

Fall, 1108 AD

            Twenty years have passed since the day Eunji and Donghae met. True to her promise, Eunji watched Donghae from afar, keeping him from harm’s way. She watched him group from a cute, chubby child to an honorable, obedient teenager to a strong, diligent man. Her love for the human grew stronger and stronger as years passed and she left like her chest would burst when she saw his smile.

            The fox smiled at the memories and sighed. She trotted to the edge of the forest and looked longingly at the village in the distance. Donghae, she thought, I miss you…

             “Noona!” called a sweet voice.

            Eunji turned around to find Luhan standing behind her. She smiled and leaped into his arms and snuggled him his warm embrace. Whenever she needed comfort, the human boy would be there to help her get over her misery. On the nights she was hurting the most, Luhan would curl up with her, trying to relieve her of her loneliness.

             “Shall we go see Hyung today?” he asked as he hugged the fox demon closer to him, rubbing his face in her soft fur.

            Let’s go, she whispered in her head, knowing that Luhan would be able to hear her. The boy smiled and gave her a kiss on the head before he started walking towards the village. Eunji sighed and pouted. To be completely honest, she was terrified of going into the village. Her fear of humans has yet to fade and every time she stepped was in the villages, she felt as she was surrounded by killers. It was her love for Donghae that made her come back again and again.

             “I’m here Noona,” Luhan reminded in a soft voice. “I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

            Eunji nodded and closed her eyes, resting her head on Luhan’s firm chest. I love you Lulu, she smiled. Thank you.

             “I love you too Noona,” smiled Luhan. “If it wasn’t for you, I’d be long gone… I would’ve never found love, and I would’ve never been so happy. Thank you.”

            A tear rolled down Eunji’s face and smiled. If it wasn’t for you… I would’ve never been able to live to today either, Eunji told Luhan. You know, I would’ve never taken your blood by force…

             “I know,” nodded Luhan. “I knew you wouldn’t hurt me… you reminded me of my momma… which was one of the reasons I gave my blood to you.”

            The fox demon smiled and sat up in Luhan’s arms to his face. Luhan laughed and kissed Eunji’s head again.

             They soon arrived in the village. Many people stared at Luhan, as they’ve never see anyone with a live fox in his arms before. Luhan ignored their curious looks and kept on walking. Eunji buried her face in Luhan’s chest and whimpered.

             “It’s ok Noona,” the human boy cooed softly. “I won’t let them hurt you. Besides, you have the power to decimate this village if you wanted to.”

            Eunji giggled at his last sentence and nodded. It was true; because she was the Demon Princess and thus shared Kyuhyun’s power, she had the power to terminate villages with as little effort as batting an eyelash. But, of course, she found no reason to destroy. Unlike her father and brother, she has lived a mortal life and knew how precious it was.

            Luhan stopped in front of a restaurant and looked down at the fox in his arms.

             “Can we get something to eat before we go see Hyung?” he asked cutely. “I haven’t had food in a long time and Father gave me a lot of money to use today.”

            The fox demon rolled her eyes, but nodded. Do you miss eating? she asked as Luhan walked into the restaurant. Not really, he answered back.  I was hungry most of the time as a child so I really don’t miss food that much… but I still like tasting it. Eunji giggled at his answer and nodded. Luhan stopped at the front desk and waited for the host to arrive.

             “Welcome sir!” greeted the host as he quickly made his way towards them. “My name is Kim Ryeowook. How may I serve you today?”

             “A table for two please,” said Luhan, “Is it alright I bring my fox in here as well?”

            Ryeowook eyed the snow white fox in Luhan’s arms and frowned.

             “She won’t cause any trouble, I promise,” the boy added. “Really, she’s harmless.”

             “Alright then,” nodded the host after a few seconds. “This way please.”

            He led Luhan through the restaurant, weaving through the tables. They passed a group of rowdy boys and Luhan felt Eunji tense up. What’s wrong Noona? Luhan asked. Donghae… whispered Eunji. He’s here…

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            It was Donghae’s twenty-fourth birthday and he decided to spend it with eight of his closest friends at the most popular restaurant in the village.

             “Chug it!” cheered Donghae as his best friend raised his cup to his lips. “C’mon Eunhyuk!”

             “Done,” declared Eunhyuk as he slammed the cup against the wooden table.

            He turned to his best friend and gave him smirk.

             “You’re turn, birthday boy,” he smirked.

            Donghae snatched the cup from Eunhyuk’s hand and turned to Hangeng.

             “Fill me up,” he told the elder.

            Hangeng shook his head, but took the wine bottle and filled the cup to its brim. Donghae smirked and raised the cup to his lips. He started chugging the sweet liquid, his Adam’s apple bobbing as the wine flowed down his throat. Donghae was almost finished chugging the drink when a familiar scent caught his attention. It was sweet and intoxicating, and Donghae found himself chocking on the last gulp of his wine. He slammed the empty cup down and started coughing.

             “Are you alright man?” Zhoumi asked as he reached over to slap Donghae on the back.

             “Yeah, I’m fine,” coughed Donghae. “Do you smell that?”

             “Smell what?” asked Yesung as he reached for Donghae’s cup.

             “Don’t you guys smell that sweet scent?” asked Donghae.

             “No?” answered Sungmin as he filled Yesung’s cup. “I think you’re drunk Hae.”

             “Awww, do we have a light weight here?” teased Heechul as he winked at the birthday boy.

             “No I’m serious,” defended Donghae. “I smelt thing… that’s why I choked.

             “Sure,” laughed Shindong as he took the cup from Yesung’s hands.

             “I’m serious Hyung!” pouted Donghae, causing the table to erupt with laughter at his expression.

             “Hae,” sighed Eunhyuk as he swung an arm around his best friend. “You’re too cute.”

             “And you guys are impossible,” Donghae groaned in response.

             “And that’s why you love us,” chuckled Kibum. “Happy birthday Fishie.”

             “Happy birthday to the cutest fish on Earth!” said Eunhyuk as he raised his cup.

            He drained the cup and gave Donghae a gummy smile.

             “Happy birthday Fishie Hae!” everyone cheered.

            Donghae smiled and raised his cup to meet theirs. As the conversations started around him again, the twenty-four year old couldn’t help but think back to what had happened earlier. What was that? he asked himself.. I swear I’ve smelt that scent before…

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

             “What is Hyung thinking?” Luhan asked he set Eunji down on his lap.

            He’s trying to remember when he’s caught my scent before, answered Eunji as she stared in Donghae’s direction.

             “Why don’t you change back?” suggested Luhan as a waiter approached their table.

             “Hello, my name is Henry and I—IS THAT A FOX!”  shrieked the waiter.

             “She won’t bite,” Luhan said calmly.

            To emphasize his point, he rubbed Eunji’s fur and kissed her head again. Henry looked nervously at Eunji before he turned his attention back to Luhan.

             “Anyways, a-as I was s-saying,” he stammered, “what would you like to order today sir?”

            As Luhan ordered their lunch, Eunji shied away in his arms. Henry’s little outburst caused most of the occupied tables to turn their attentions at their table. Although almost everyone had turned back to their own businesses, she was very aware of the burning stare that Donghae was sending in her direction. Her heart started beating furiously in her chest. Millions of questions popped into her head and different situations filled her mind.  Luhan, noticing his Noona’s inner turmoil, hugged Eunji tighter against him. It’s ok, Noona, he whispered. What’s the worst thing that can happen? The fox nodded and sighed softly. Hyung’s your soul mate Noona, the human continued. He’ll always belong to you.

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

             “Look at that kid,” smirked Eunhyuk as he pointed at Luhan. “Who the hell has a pet fox?”

             “Weirdo,” nodded Yesung. “Maybe he’s got a screw loose.”

            Heechul snickered and nodded. 

             “What do you think Hae?” he asked. “Hae?”

            But Donghae didn’t answer; he was too focused on the fox in Luhan’s arms to pay any attention to his friends. There was just something about that seemed so familiar. The way she shied away in the boy’s arms reminded him of—

             “YA! Earth to Lee Donghae!”

             “What?” demanded Donghae as he shook his head. “Yeah Hyung?”

             “You ok?” asked Heechul as he pressed his hand against Donghae’s forehead. “You just zoned for the past couple of minutes.”

             “I’m fine,” said Donghae as he pulled back.

            He watched the younger boy share his food with the fox, using the same chopsticks to feed himself as he used to feed the fox. Isn’t he afraid he’ll get sick? Donghae demanded. That is so unsanitary!

             “Ew,” commented Hangeng as he watched Luhan feed Eunji. “That’s just nasty.”

             “And people scorned at us for sharing a cup amongst ourselves,” sneered Heechul. 

             “Look, he’s talking to it now,” scorned Yesung. “He’s either mentally ill or high on drugs.”

             “Just look at him,” nodded Zhoumi. “No one in their right of mind would be like that.”

            Donghae nodded and continued to stare in Luhan and Eunji’s direction. The younger boy was holding on to the fox like a mother would to her child and Donghae found that fascinating. The way they interacted was as if they were in love. Wait what? Donghae demanded as he shook his head. That’s disgusting! is NOT acceptable Donghae. What the fuc* are you thinking?! He quickly pushed the though aside, but continued to watch them. There was just something about the fox that captivated his attention. Maybe it was because her fur wasn’t like all the white foxes he has seen throughout his life. Maybe it was because the way she acted just like a cat would. Or maybe, it was because she reminded him of Dongji. Whatever the reason was, Donghae wanted that boy’s fox and he wanted it now.

             “I want that fox,” Donghae said suddenly, his proclamation startling his friends.

            Without another word, he stood up and made his way to Luhan’s table.

             “YA! LEE DONGHAE!” Eunhyuk called after his best friend. “That moron…”

            He started to get up but Shindong grabbed onto his arm, not letting him move another inch.

             “Just let him be,” commented Shindong. “It’s his birthday. Who knows, maybe that kid will give him the fox.”

            Eunhyuk shot Shindong a “you’re-crazy” look, but sat back down.

             “This is going to be interesting,” laughed Sungmin as he sipped at his wine.

             “You said it,” smirked Heechul. “Let’s see what Fishie will do.”

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            Their food quickly arrived and Eunji stared at the strange dishes in front of her. She cocked her heard to the side and curiously sniffed at the food.

             “Don’t worry Noona,” Luhan laughed as he picked up the pair of chopsticks and used them to pick up a piece of meat, “you’ll like it. After all, this was my favorite dish as a child.”

            He put the food in front of Eunji and smiled.

             “Say ‘Ah,’” he told her.

            Eunji wrinkled her nose, but opened , letting Luhan feed her. A burst of flavor exploded in as she chewed the piece of food and she found herself enjoying it.

             “Is it good?” Luhan chuckled as he grabbed some food for himself. “Mmm, it’s still as delicious as I remember it.”

            It’s delicious Lulu, nodded Eunji as she swallowed the last little bit of meat. The human smiled and nodded.

             “Want more?” he asked.

            The fox nodded and rubbed her head against his chest.

             “Alright, alright,” he laughed. “I’ll get you more.”

            They were almost finished with their meal when Eunji caught sight of Donghae getting up from his tabling and making his way towards them. Luhan, whispered Eunji. Donghae… he’s coming here!

             “It’s ok,” Luhan whispered as he hugged the fox demon close.

             “Excuse me,” Donghae said as he approached their table. “Is there anyone sitting here?”

            Luhan shook his head and motioned for Donghae to sit down. Donghae sat down and took a deep breath. Again, that familiar scent filled his nostrils and he stared at the fox in the boy’s arms, realizing that she was the source of the intoxicating fragrance.

             “Hyung?” Luhan asked. “Are you ok?”

             “I’m fine,” answered Donghae.

             “What do you need?” asked the younger boy.

             “I want your fox,” said Donghae, getting straight to the point.

            As he expected, the younger boy gave him a startled look and hugged the fox closer to him.

             “I want her,” he stated again.

            Luhan started at Donghae,  not knowing what to say. Let me go to him, Eunji whispered. NO! Luhan objected. Father will skin me alive if I don’t bring you home! The fox let out a soft growl and rubbed her head against Luhan’s neck. Please Lulu, she begged in a sad voice. Please?

            Donghae watched the silent battle between the fox and the human and a strange sense of jealousy hit him. When the fox rubbed her head against the human boy’s neck, a feeling of déjà vu flooded his brain and he was pulled back into the depths of his childhood. He saw himself back along the river close to the edge of the village with Dongji in his arms. He remembered the way she smelt, that delicious scent that intoxicated his soul and the feeling of her soft fur under his palms. Donghae’s eyes clouded with tears as he remembered how he had to give up something he had loved so much.

            Eunji, noticing Donghae’s pained expression, nudged Luhan’s arm with her nose. Please Lulu, she begged again. Daddy won’t mind, Noona promises. Please, just let me go. He needs me. Luhan looked up and found himself looking at Donghae’s tortured face. He let out a soft sigh and nodded, his arms loosening around the fox. The things I do for you, Noona, he sighed. Go. Eunji smiled and rubbed her head in his chest. I love you Lulu, she whispered. Thank you.

             “I’ll let you have her,” Luhan said, breaking the silence, “but you have to promise me to take very good care of her.”

            Donghae looked at the boy with a surprised expression. He didn’t expect the boy to comply. Slowly, he nodded, his eyes still glued to the fox in front of her.

             “That’s all I need then,” sighed the boy. “I’ll miss you.”

            I’ll see you tonight, Eunji reminded Luhan as he handed her over to Donghae. Besides, you always have a piece of me with you, and I’ll always have a piece of you in me. Luhan gave Donghae a sad smile and stood up. He waved Henry over and slapped a small handful of gold coins from his pants pocket into the waiter’s hand.

             “Keep the change,” he told the surprised waiter.

            Luhan left the restaurant without another word, ignoring the curious glances he got from Donghae’s table. At that moment, there was nothing more he wanted than to be in the security of his lover’s arms. Sehunnie, he cried as he exited the restaurant. What have I done?! Tears started streaming down his face as he broke into a run, trying to get as far away from the village as possible. He didn’t stop running until he was well outside the village and he only stopped because Sehun had caught him in a tight hug.

             “You did the right thing Lulu,” comforted Sehun. “Noona belongs with Hyung, you know that.”

             “Then why does it feel so wrong to let her go?” Luhan wailed. “I’ve never felt so wrong in my life!”

             “You did the right thing.”

            Luhan gasped as he recognized the Demon King’s voice. He pulled away from Sehun and gave Kyuhyun a bow.

             “F-father,” he whimpered.

             “You did the right thing,” Kyuhyun sighed. “Don’t worry about it son.”

            The human nodded, but continued to cry.

             “Let’s go home,” said the Demon King. “Eunji said she’ll see us tonight.”

            With a soft pop, Kyuhyun disappeared. Sehun wrapped his arms around Luhan again and rubbed the crying boy’s back.

             “It’s ok,” he cooed. “C’mon, let’s get back to the castle.”

            Luhan nodded and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he was standing in Sehun’s room.

             “I miss her,” he pouted. “I missed Noona so much.”

             “I know,” sighed the demon Prince. “You’ve never been without her for more than thirty minutes, I know Lulu. But Noona belongs with Hyung, just like you belong with me. Let her be happy for once. She has suffered so much just to be with Hyung. Let her taste the fruits of her labor.”

            The boy nodded, but hugged Sehun tighter.

             “What would I do without you Sehunnie?” he asked. “I’d die without you.”

             “Yeah, literally,” teased Sehun.

            Luhan immediately frowned and pulled away.

             “Sehunnie is a ,” he pouted, making Sehun burst into laughter.

             “And Lulu is the cutest person to walk this earth.”

            The Demon Prince pulled Luhan back into his arms and sighed happily.

             “Don’t know what I’d do without you either Lulu,” he whispered in the human boy’s ear. “You’re so precious to me.”

             “I love you Sehunnie,” giggled Luhan. “More than anyone or anything!”

             “Even Noona?” asked Sehun in a hopeful voice.

             “Well,” winked Luhan, “only because I can do naughty things with Sehunnie.”

             “YA LUHAN!” growled Sehun as he picked Luhan up in his arms. “You’re so not going to be able to walk after I’m done with you.”

            He laughed darkly and smirked as he whispered,” And Noona won’t be able to save you this time, so don’t even think about it,” in Luhan’s ear, making the human’s eyes widen.

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

             “I really think that kid had some mental issues,” Zhoumi commented as Donghae returned to their table with the fox in his arms.

             “I still can’t believe he gave you his fox,” said Eunhyuk with a bewildered expression. “He was holding on to it like he was in love with it.”

             “Hey Hae, so how did you get him to give it to you anyways?” piped in Heechul.

             “I dunno,” shrugged Donghae. “I just asked him for her and he said that as long as I took very good care of her, I could have her.”

             “Are you sure that animal isn’t diseased?” asked Hangeng as he looked at the fox in Donghae’s arms. “I’m pretty sure animals aren’t THIS immobile and quiet unless they’re very sick.”

             “But if it was sick,” argued Donghae, “why would he have fed her with the same chopsticks he used to feed himself?”

             “Like Hyung said, the kid’s got mental issues,” suggested Kibum

            Eunji growled at his comment, startling everyone at the table. She narrowed her eyes at the boys around her, her blood boiling. No one, absolutely NO ONE could criticize her Luhan like that.

             “Donghae, I really think you should get rid of it,” said Eunhyuk in a slow, cautious voice. “It looks mad.”

             “She’s probably mad because you guys were dissing her owner,” said Donghae as if that was the most obvious answer. “I’m pretty sure she was quite attached to him.”

            He was greeted by unanimous silence from his friends. They just sat there, blinking at him with confused expressions on their faces

             “You should’ve seen the way they were interacting when I asked him for her,” he added. “It was like they were having an internal battle or something.”

            Again, he was greeted by confused looks.

             “Ok, forget I said anything,” he sighed.

            Donghae reached for the wine bottle, but Eunhyuk stood him.

             “I think you’ve had enough to drink for today,” he sighed. “Let’s get something to eat.”

             “Hey Henry!”  he called, turning his attention to the waiter. “Get us some bulgogi!”

             “Yes sir!” nodded the cute boy. “I’ll get that ready in a few minutes.”

             “Cute kid,” Zhoumi said to himself.

             “Awww, does our Mimi have a crush on the cute little waiter boy?” teased Heechul.

             “Shut up Hyung,” growled Zhoumi as his face turned beet red.

             “He does!” laughed Heechul. “Awww, our Mimi has grown up!”

            The table erupted in laughter and Eunji rolled her eyes. Idiots, she sighed. Why? Noticing her annoyance, Donghae scratched her behind her ears and kissed her head.

             “Not your type of people eh?” he chuckled softly.

            To his surprise, Eunji shook her head as if she understood him and purred. You’re drunk Donghae,  he told himself. Animals can’t understand human language. He looked down at the fox in his lap and sighed happily. For some reason, he just felt complete now that she was in his possession. Eunji sighed happily too. For the first time in twenty years, she was back in her soul mate’s arms again, and this time, she hoped she would be able to stay in his embrace forever.

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            It was well after midnight when Donghae and his friends decided to leave the restaurant. They were all inebriated beyond imagination but still, most of them had the good sense to pay for a carriage to take them home. Donghae, however, decided to walk home since his house was relatively close by.

             “I’ll be fine,” Donghae told his friends before they left.

            With Eunji still in his arms, Donghae slowly made his way home. Although he was completely wasted, he was still able to walk straight, due to Eunji’s help. The cool fall breeze ruffled Donghae’s hair, spreading his scent everywhere.

             “Yum,” smirked a voice in the shadows. “This one’s going to make a nice meal.”

             “You’re right Unnie,” laughed another voice. “This one does smell delicious.”

             “I call dips though,” said the elder one. “I want to taste his sweet blood first.”

            The demons closed in on the unsuspecting Donghae and wrapped their arms around him.

             “Where are you going gorgeous?” the younger one whispered seductively in his ear.

             “You smell delicious,” added the elder one as she cupped his face

            The elder one pressed her lips against Donghae’s neck and her canines grew. But when her teeth touched Donghae’s skin, she heard a loud growl. She immediately backed away and the smile on her face froze.

             “I, I, I’m sorry Princess!” she gasped as fell to her knees in front of Donghae.

             “Wh-what?” Donghae slurred. “What are y-you talkin’ ‘bout?”

            Leave, Eunji hissed. Find your meal elsewhere. Jessica nodded and quickly got to her feet.

             “Let’s go Krystal,” she hissed at her sister.

            Krystal nodded and the two sisters were gone within a split second, disappearing into the night. Donghae shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair.

             “I’m hallucinating,” he told himself. “Augh, I’ve got to get home… C’mon baby.”

            He hugged Eunji tighter against him and started walking again, thinking that the interaction with the demon girls was just a figment of his imagination. Eunji sighed and snuggled deeper into his embrace. Oh Donghae, she sighed. You are so clueless…you have no idea how close you were to death tonight… Eunji rolled her eyes and sighed again.  Oh screw the walking, she groaned. This is taking too long! Picturing Donghae’s little cottage, she teleported the two of them into Donghae’s bedroom.

             “Wow,” commented Donghae as he looked around. “How the hell did I get here so fast? I don’t even remember opening the door.”

            He yawned and laid Eunji on his bed before he shrugged off his clothes and lay down on the bed next to his fox.

             “Come here,” he whispered to Eunji.

            Eunji trotted over to Donghae’s chest and he hugged his arms around her, burying his face in her soft, white fur.

             “You smell so good,” he moaned. “God, why do you smell so good?”

            Eunji laughed and nudged Donghae’s face with her nose. Donghae moaned softly and sighed. He closed his eyes and quickly fell asleep, using Eunji as his pillow. Oh Donghae, Eunji sighed. You are NEVER getting drunk again… I don’t like you like this… She nudged her mate’s head and sighed softly as a soft glow began to surround his body. Donghae stirred in his sleep as the Eunji’s powers slowly started to rehydrate his body, relieving him of the massive hangover that he would have gotten the next day.

            Please don’t drink so much next time, sighed Eunji as the glow started to fade away. You would’ve died tonight if I wasn’t there Donghae… She left out another sigh and pouted. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you died… again…

             “Hmm, Dongji,” Donghae murmured in his sleep. “My Dongji…”

            His arms wrapped around Eunji’s body and he hugged her close. The demon’s heart melted and she shook her head. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn’t stay mad at the human lying on top of her. She kissed Donghae’s forehead and smiled. What am I going to do with you? she asked herself. As gently as she could, Eunji shifted Donghae’s head off her body and onto his pillow.

            I’ll be back soon, she whispered to the sleeping human. She gave him a final kiss on the forehead before conjuring up a protective bubble around him, shielding him from any dangers that might appear while she was gone. Eunji gave Donghae one last look and smiled. Closing her eyes, she quickly teleported back to Kyuhyun’s castle.

            The familiar aroma that filled the castle greeted her as she opened her eyes.

             “You’re home,” remarked a voice in the darkness.

            Eunji gasped as the owner of the voice scooped her up in his arms and nuzzled her face with his face. Daddy, she pouted, you scared me! Kyuhyun laughed and kissed his daughter’s head, smirking as he did so.

             “I’m not called the Demon KING for no reason, sweetie,” he smirked. “Did you miss me?”

            The fox nodded and rubbed her head against Kyuhyun’s throat, earning another laugh from him.

             “I missed you too,” he told her, “but I think someone else missed you even more. The poor child came home crying.”

            Is Lulu ok now? Eunji asked, feeling sorry that she caused her favorite boy so much pain.

             “Oh, he’s more than ok now,” winked Kyuhyun. “Well, at least emotionally. Physically, I don’t know if he’ll be able to walk for a week though.”

            Eunji mentally facepalmed and rolled her eyes. Really Daddy, really? she growled. The Demon King just laughed in response. Sighing, the fox leaped out of Kyuhyun’s arms and her body erupted with a blinding light as she hit the ground.

             “You are such a troll, Daddy,” complained the fox as she regained her human form.

            Kyuhyun chuckled again and pulled Eunji back into his arms.

             “You know you love me,” he purred in her ear.

             “I’ll always love my Daddy,” Eunji smiled as she hugged him back. “My Daddy is the best.”

            The Demon King smiled and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he hugged his young daughter close. Although he once had romantic feelings for the young demon, only fatherly love now remained. Eunji belonged to Donghae. End of story. There would be no ifs, ands or buts about it. Even if he wanted to, Kyuhyun wouldn’t be able to change that fact, so he moved on.

             “I love you too, Baby Girl,” the Demon King whispered back.

            He gave Eunji a final squeeze before letting her go. The Demon King wanted to say more, but was interrupted with a high pitched squeal. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as he recognized Luhan’s skinny figure run, or rather, limp to Eunji’s side.

             “NOONA!” the boy called. “I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!”

             “Lulu,” Eunji beamed as she wrapped her arms around the human boy’s body. “Noona missed you so much too. How are you feeling?”

             “Huh?” asked Luhan. “What are you talking about Noona?”

             “Your bum?”

            Eunji ruffled Luhan’s disheveled hair and looked at his wrinkled clothes.

             “Did you have fun?” she added with a wink.

             “Noona!” Luhan exclaimed as his entire face turned red.

            He buried his face in the crook of Eunji’s neck and pouted. Smiling Eunji reached down and smoothed her hand over Luhan’s lower back, relieving him of his pains. She then turned to Sehun and gave him a disappointed look. The Demon Prince awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck with his hand and looked away, avoiding his sister’s eyes. Kyuhyun snorted and rolled his eyes in response to his son’s reaction.  Man up Sehun, he chuckled. You did what you did. There’s no point in being embarrassed about it. You know your sister won’t judge you. Still, Sehun kept his eyes glue to the floor and chewed on his cheek nervously. He knew that his sister was extremely protective of Luhan and if she knew what he and Luhan were doing only moments before, she would probably have his head on a platter.  Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and snorted at Sehun’s response.  He turned his attention back to Eunji and Luhan and a devious idea popped into his head.

             “Hey Luhan,” he smirked. “Why do your wrists look so raw looking?”

             Bingo, he thought as Eunji’s eyes grew wide. She pulled Luhan’s wrists to her face to examine the damage and her face face contorted with worry. From the corner of his eye, Kyuhyun could see Sehun trying tomato red. He smirked and waited, mentally laughing as he did so.

             “What happened Lulu?” Eunji asked as she stared at the angry flesh. “A-are those rope burns?”

             “N-no Noona,” Luhan answered in a shy voice. “Sehun and I were just playing around… we were just having some fun…”

            Eunji frowned and sighed softly. She brought Luhan’s rope burned wrists to her lips and gently kissed them. Soon, soft, baby pink skin replaced the angry red flesh and Eunji smiled in satisfaction.

             “Does it hurt anymore?” she asked softly.

            Luhan shook his head and wrapped his arms around Eunji’s waist, reburying his still tomato red face back in her neck.  She turned her attention to her blushing brother and frowned.

             “Sehun,” she reprimanded in a disappointed voice. “You know how fragile Lulu is. Be a little more careful next time, alright?”

             “Yes Noona,” Sehun nodded. “I’m sorry.”

             “Come here.”

            Sehun slowly made his way to his sister’s side and half expected her to smack him in the head for hurting her baby. But instead of doing that, Eunji held out an arm and pulled him into her embrace.

             “Now that I’ll be gone, you’ve got to take care of my Lulu, Sehun,” she whispered in his ear. “Please take care of him for me. I know you love him as much as I do, so can I trust you to always keep him safe?”

             “Of course Noona,” Sehun nodded, “but why do you sound so negative? It sounds like you’re going to be gone forever…”

            Eunji didn’t reply; instead, she just hugged the two boys in her arms tighter and closed her eyes. Deep down in her heart she knew that she would have to someday leave them forever, but she didn’t want to freak them out too early. When Eunji pulled back from the embrace, she gave both Sehun and Luhan a kiss on the forehead.

             “Be good,” she told them.

             “We will,” Luhan nodded.

             “Good,” she nodded. “It’s getting late. Why don’t you two go rest?”

             “Why?” whined Luhan. “You just got here Noona!”

             “But I’ll be back soon,” she told the pouting human, “promise.”

             “Pinky promise?”

            Eunji giggled and nodded, hooking her pinky with Luhan’s. Since Luhan basically died when he was brought to Kyuhyun’s castle two thousand and ten years ago, he never actually grew up like everyone else did. Sure he physically grew up, but his mind was more or less still the pure and innocent mind he had when he was eight years old.

             “I wouldn’t lie to you Lulu,” she smiled. “Now go to bed.”

            Luhan nodded and tugged on Sehun’s hand.

             “C’mon Sehunnie,” he said, “Noona needs to get back to Hyung and we need to…”

            He blushed and looked away. Kyuhyun let out a loud laugh and shook his head. Eunji smiled at the boy and sighed.

             “Go finish up,” she smiled. “Don’t forget to close the door and have fun.”

            She gave the two boys a sly wink and giggled as Luhan hid his face in Sehun’s chest. Sehun blushed and with a pop, disappeared with Luhan in his arm. Seconds later, the sound of a door slamming could be heard. Eunji laughed and turned to face her father.

             “When did you get so evil?” Kyuhyun mused.

             “I only learned from the best,” the fox demon replied.

            The Demon King rolled his eyes and pulled his daughter into his arms again.

             “I’m going to miss you a lot, Baby Girl,” he whispered in her ear. “This place is going to be a lot quieter without you. Be careful out there, alright?”

             “Yes Daddy,” Eunji nodded. “I’ll be careful.”

             “Call me if you need anything and I’ll be there in a flash.”

            Eunji nodded again and pouted.

             “Go,” Kyuhyun commanded as he released Eunji from his arms. “Donghae’s waiting for you. Knowing him, he’ll probably get into more trouble in one hour than you can get into in one millennium.”

            The fox demon nodded and gave her father a peck on the cheek before she pulled away.

             “I’ll be back soon,” she promised.

             “Go.”

             “Bye Daddy.”

            Without another word, Eunji disappeared, leaving Kyuhyun all alone. He stifled a smile and sighed softly. I wonder what it’s like to have a soul mate, he sighed, what it’s like to have that attraction to some that makes someone want to suffer through Jiyong and back just to see them again… The Demon King laughed to himself and shook his head. It’s for the best that I’m single, he told himself. I can’t take good care of my forest if I have something more important on my mind. Forever alone it is. At least I have the kids for entertainment…

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

             “Dongji,” Donghae moaned in his sleep. “Come back… no … let me have my Dongji.”

            He tossed on his bed and groaned loudly. It was always the same nightmare night after night. One way or another, Dongji would always be ripping away from him in the end.

             “She’s mine… Please don’t take my Dongji away from me…”

            Tears began to flow out of his closed eyes and soft sobs tore at his chest.

             “N-no… please… she’s mine…”

            More tears flooded out of his eyes and onto his pillow, soaking the cotton to the core.

             “Please…”

            That’s how Eunji found him when she arrived back in his room.

             “Oh my poor baby,” she whispered softly. Forgetting to change back into her fox form, she got on the bed with Donghae and wrapped her arms around Donghae’s head, cradling it against her chest.

             “Dongji…my Dongji…”

            Eunji’s heart started to beat erratically and she hugged Donghae closer against her. It was good to know that ever after more than two thousand years of separation, Donghae’s heart still belonged to her.

             “I love you Donghae,” she whispered as she closed her eyes and gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead. “I fell in love with you when we were pups and two thousand plus years later, I still love you.”

            Donghae moaned softly and swung an arm around the demon, trapping her in his embrace. He rubbed his face against her chest and smiled.

             “Stay with me…” he murmured.

            Eunji giggled and nodded.

             “I’ll stay by your side for the rest of eternity,” she promised the sleeping human.  “You’re mine and I’m yours.”

 

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            When Donghae woke up the next morning, he felt like he was being smothered in bliss. His entire body was covered with a blanket of warmth and for the first time ever, his nightmare ended up being a wonderful dream. At first, it started out like all his other nightmares, but in the end, Dongji was back in his arms again, making it so beautiful. He closed his eyes again and sighed softly. If only if that happened in real life, he thought to himself. I want my Dongji…

            He rolled on his side and came face to face with big, ominous blue eyes. Startled, he let out a gasp and jumped, almost falling off his bed due to the commotion he caused. The fox shot up and it stared at him with alerted eyes.

             “Sorry,” Donghae mumbled sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to scare you too. I…I guess I wasn’t expecting you to be so close.”

            He held out his arms to his new pet and smiled at her. Almost instantaneously, the fox trotted over to Donghae and lay down next to him, her face nuzzling his. The human laughed at the tickling sensation and closed his arms around the fox, hugging her close.

             “You’re so soft,” he whispered, “and you smell so good too.”

            He closed his eyes and inhaled her sweet scent. Eunji purred softly and rubbed her face against Donghae, enjoying the feeling of his mate’s hands on her back. Although she often received this kind of affection from her demon family and Luhan, Donghae’s touch was just different. It made her senses heighten and reach nirvana. To Eunji, his touch was like a drug; she just couldn’t get enough of it.

             “So,” Donghae said after a while, “what should I name you?”

            He rubbed area between Eunji’s ears and chuckled as she purred in satisfaction.

             “You remind me so much of Dongji,” he sighed. “I wonder how she is… she’s probably dead by now…”

            Donghae’s face fell and he pouted. Eunji frowned and rubbed her head against Donghae’s neck, trying to cheer him up. A part of her desperately wanted to tell him who she was, but deep down, she knew she couldn’t. After all, Donghae was still a human; he was raised to fear demons with every ounce of his soul. Eunji sighed softly and lay back down on the bed. She looked up at Donghae with her big blue eyes and pouted.

             “What’s wrong?” Donghae asked as he frowned at Eunji.

            Eunji looked away and Donghae shook his head.

             “You don’t like me talking about other girls, do you,” he asked. “Ok, we’ll forget about her for now. It’s only you and me.”

             Donghae lifted Eunji off the bed and placed her on his chest as he rolled back on his back.

             “We still need a name for you though,” he told the fox. “Help me think of one.”

            Eunji shook her head and cocked her head to the side. Donghae laughed and nodded.

             “Of course you can’t help me think,” he laughed. “You can’t talk. Guess I’ll have to do that on my own.”

            To Donghae’s surprise, Eunji nodded and he swear he saw her smile. But foxes can’t smile, he protested. I’m hallucinating… it’s way too early to be thinking… He closed his eyes and sighed. The demon shook her head and laid her head down on Donghae’s bare chest. She heard Donghae’s heart beat steadily under her and she felt a wave of happiness wash over her. To her, that sound was the most beautiful sound in the world because it meant that Donghae was alive and with her. She felt a tear roll down her face and spread its moisture on Donghae’s chest. More droplets soon followed, creating a wet spot on the human’s skin. Donghae felt the wetness on his chest and frowned

             “What’s wrong?” he asked as he cradled Eunji in his arms and sat up. “Are you hurt?”

            The fox shook her head and rubbed her head against his chest.

             “Baby, don’t cry,” he whispered. “Whatever it is, I’ll take care of it.”

            He kissed the top of Eunji’s head and gave her a smile. Eunji nodded and his chin, her heart singing with happiness.

             “C’mon,” he told her, “let’s get some breakfast. I’m starving.”

            Donghae gently set Eunji back on his bed and stretched. He rubbed the back of his neck and yawned as he made his way to his closet to get dressed. Eunji gracefully hopped off Donghae’s bed and waited as he got dressed and cleaned up. When he was done, he picked Eunji up and headed out the door with her in his arms. The bright morning sun greeted them as they stepped out on the streets.

             “Let’s go get some noodles,” he suggested.

            Eunji nodded and snuggled in the human’s arms as he made his way to his favorite noodle stall.

             “Ajumoni!” he called as he sat down at his normal table. “Your favorite customer is back!”

             “Donghae-yah!”

            A middle-aged woman waved at Donghae and quickly excused herself from her other customers.

             “What brings you here this morning?” she asked.

             “I missed your noodles Ajumoni,” Donghae replied with a smile. “No one makes them as good as you do.”

            The middle aged woman laughed and shook her head.

             “You’ve always been a sweet talker,” she laughed. “What kind do you want today?”

             “I’ll just have the beef please.”

             “Alright,” she nodded.

            She was about to turn away when she noticed the fox in Donghae’s arms.

             “Donghae,” she asked in a cautious voice, “why do you have a fox in your arms?”

             “Oh, I got her for my birthday,” Donghae replied. “Do you want to touch her? She’s really, really soft!”

            The woman was about to answer his question, but one of her other customers called for her, making her excuse herself from Donghae. Oh Donghae, she thought to herself as she walked away, you’re too cute. I wonder when you’ll ever grow up…

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            Back at Donghae’s table, Donghae and Eunji were waiting patiently for their food to arrive when someone tapped Donghae’s shoulder from behind. The human turned around and a bright smile broke out of his face.

             “HYUNG!” he called.

            He gently set Eunji down on the bench and stood up to give his older brother a tight hug.

             “I’ve missed you so much Hyung!” Donghae whispered. “How’ve you been?”

             “I’ve missed you too squirt,” Donghwa said as he hugged his brother. “Sorry I couldn’t make it to your birthday celebration yesterday.”

             “It’s ok Hyung,” Donghae smiled. “You’re here now. Sit with us!”

             “Us?” asked Donghwa. “Is there someone else here with you?”

             “Of course,” nodded Donghae.

            He turned back around and picked Eunji up in his arms.

             “Hyung,” he said, “say annyeong to my pet fox.”

            Donghwa looked down at the fox in his brother’s arms and his eyes narrowed. Unlike Donghae, he clearly remembered the “pet fox” incident from when they were younger and he sensed that there was something strangely familiar about the fox in Donghae’s arms. Eunji shifted uncomfortably under Donghwa’s scrutinizing glance. She knew that he recognized her and she didn’t know what to do.

             “Hyung?” Donghae asked. “What’s wrong?”

             “Oh, nothing!” said Donghwa as he shook his head. “I was just admiring how pretty she was. Does she have a name yet?”

             “Not yet,” answered Donghae, still oblivious to everything going around. “I’ll decide later though.”

            Donghwa nodded and sat down on the empty seat in front of his brother, his eyes never leaving Eunji for a second. The resemblance was just too similar. No fox can sit so still or act so tame either, he thought to himself. He continued to watch Eunji and smiled when he saw her look away from him as if she couldn’t meet his eyes. What are you? he demanded. Suddenly, an idea popped into his head and he called to his brother.

             “Hey Donghae, can I see your pet?” he asked.

             “Sure Hyung!”

            Donghae passed Eunji over to Donghwa and smiled as Donghwa gently petted Eunji’s soft fur.

             “Isn’t she so soft?” he asked.

             “She is,” agreed Donghwa.

            He leaned in and nuzzled her head with his lips. To any outsider, it only looked like Donghwa was giving Eunji affection, but in reality, that was the last thing he was doing.

             “What are you?” he hissed in her ear. “And what do you want with my brother?”

            Eunji felt Donghwa’s hand on her neck and gasped.

            Don’t, she begged. Donghwa’s eyes flashed with alarm as he heard Eunji’s voice loud and clear inside his head. Demon! he gasped. He looked up at his brother, then back down at the fox in his arms.

            Don’t tell Donghae, Eunji pleaded. Please, trust me! She raised her paws and leaned against Donghwa’s chest. He’s my soul mate… Then, using her powers, she pulled Donghwa into the depths of her memories and made him experience everything though her eyes. When Eunji decided he had seen enough, she pulled him back out and stared at him with her big eyes. Please? Donghwa blinked a few times and opened his mouth to say something, but all his words were caught in his throat. He looked at the tiny fox in his arms and managed to nod. Thank you, Eunji whispered. Thank you. She rubbed her head against Donghwa’s neck and his face. Donghwa took a deep breath and patted Eunji’s head.

            Donghae frowned at the scene in front of him. Every fiber in his body was growling in jealousy. Eunji noticed her mate’s anger and smiled. Thank you, she whispered one last time to Donghwa before she jumped down from his lap. She walked over to Donghae and leaped onto his lap. Donghae’s arms collapsed around her the second she landed on his lap and he hugged her close.

            Donghwa watched his brother interact with the fox and felt his heart ache. There was no denying that the demon was telling the truth, as he could visibly see the love between the fox and the human. He smiled at the two and got up.

             “I’ll see you around Hae,” he said to his brother. “I just remembered that I need to do something.”

             “Okay Hyung,” Donghae said absentmindedly. “I’ll see you around.”

            Donghwa left without another word, leaving the lovers to be with themselves.

             “I don’t like it when you’re like that with other men,” Donghae told Eunji as he hugged her. “You’re mine and no one else’s.”

            Eunji nodded and purred. As much as she didn’t want to upset Donghae, that had to have been done. Donghwa needed to see her past or else he would’ve never believed her.

             “You’re my Eunji,” Donghae whispered without thinking, “always my Eunji.”

            A swell of happiness flooded Eunji’s soul and she closed her eyes. And you’ll always be my Donghae, she whispered back.

             “Eunji…”

            She knew that wasn’t the human Donghae talking; it was her Donghae, the one who died for her who was speaking. Against all odds, he was still there, deep inside the human one.

             “You’re mine, forever.”

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, but Donghae’s love for his pet fox never faded. He spent his days with Eunji. She became a part of Donghae, never leaving his side for more than a few moments, even when Donghae was at work. Since Donghae was a scholar, he spent most of his days at home, either studying old texts or perfecting his skills in the four arts: music, chess, calligraphy and painting. As he studied, Eunji would always hop onto his desk and watch her mate work, fascinated by what he could do. Often, Donghae would look up from his work and find his pet staring at it in awe.

             “Pretty, isn’t it?” Donghae asked as he set down his paint brush.

            He looked down at the fox he had just painted and smiled. The fox he painted wasn’t like the traditional foxes that he had painted before but more like a fox formed by smoke.  Its body was formed by intricate, curvy lines and gave off a mysterious vibe. Satisfied, Donghae stood up and yawned, his muscles sore from being cramped up for so long.

             “C’mon Eunji,” he smiled as he held out his arms.

            For some reason, when the name first rolled off of Donghae’s tongue, the fox responded to it. And since it perfectly suited Eunji, who was both graceful and smart as the name suggested, it just stuck.

             “Let’s go get some fresh air.”

            He smiled as Eunji leaped off his desk on into his arms and he closed his eyes as her down like fur tickled his skin. Donghae had half expected that Eunji’s fur would grow coarse as she grew older, just like every other animal, but it never did. If anything, it had grown softer. Whatever the reason, Donghae loved it. He opened his eyes and smiled at his pet. Eunji melted under her mate’s affectionate gaze and she leaned forward to nuzzle his face with her nose. Donghae laughed and kissed her face before he started making his way towards the front door.

             “Where do you want to go?” he asked Eunji as he walked out of the house.

            Eunji nuzzled her nose against Donghae’s neck and purred softly. The human laughed and nodded.

             “The river it is,” he said.

            Donghae had long accepted the fact that Eunji could understand him. He knew she wasn’t an ordinary fox but didn’t want to destroy his image of her by investigating the reasons why she was so different. As a scholar, he has seen too many men get ripped apart because of their curious minds.  Donghae didn’t want to lose his Eunji so he carefully buried his curiosity in hopes that someday, Eunji will reveal her secrets to him on her own.

            Their walk to the river was a peaceful one. The sun was setting beautiful as they arrived at the river. Donghae gently set Eunji on the ground and watched her disappear in the reeds along the river bed. He knew she would never leave him so he was comfortable with whatever she wanted to do.

            The reeds rustled softly as Eunji trended though them and a wave a memories hit Donghae. Dongji… Donghae thought reminiscently. I miss you… The rustling got louder and Donghae frowned. He knelt down and bushed the reeds to the side, wanting to see what was going on in there. Déjà vu smacked him hard in the face when he saw Eunji waiting for him. She cocked her head as if to say “remember me?” Donghae felt his heart rate start to accelerate and he could hear his heart thumping in his ears. He blinked stupidly and opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

            Donghae reached out and pulled the fox back into his arms. He closed his eyes and rubbed his face against her fur, just as he did twenty years ago. Her intoxicating scent filled his nose and everything became crystal-clear to Donghae.

             “You’re my Dongji?” he asked even though he knew the answer.

            He felt his pet nod and he smiled.

             “Took you long enough to tell me though,” he pouted. “I was missed my Dongji.”

            Eunji whimpered and Donghae’s face as if to say she was sorry. The human laughed and hugged her closer in his arms. He turned his head and kissed her forehead and smiled.

             “But I’m still glad you told me.”

            He stood up and groaned softly as the blood rushed to his legs. His legs ached from the lack of circulation but that didn’t matter; his heart was singing and he felt like he was riding on Cloud Nine.

             “I love you so much,” he whispered to pet. “No matter what your name is, you’re still the same to me; you’re my baby.”

            Eunji closed her eyes and rubbed her head against Donghae’s neck. She was a little apprehensive of pulling off that little stunt, but now that she has done it, she knew she had made the right decision of telling Donghae who she was.

             “So,” began Donghae as he started walking back to the house, “what should I call you now?”

            The demon responded by rubbing her head against Donghae’s neck again. She knew that in the end Donghae would know what to call her so she wasn’t worried. Donghae smiled as Eunji rubbed against his neck and ran his fingers through her fur.

             “Do you like Eunji or Dongji better?” he asked.

            Again, Eunji just rubbed her head against the human’s neck in response. Donghae nodded and turned to kiss his pet’s nose.

             “Eunji it is,” he decided. “It suits you more… you’re already a part of me, so I guess that just makes Dongji a little repetitive, don’t you think?”

            The fox purred in satisfaction and nodded, tickling Donghae’s sensitive skin. She was practically glowing with happiness and Donghae could feel the euphoria pour out of her body.

             “You’re too cute,” he whispered to his pet. “I love you so much girl.”

            He placed a kissed on Eunji’s head and chuckled as she his neck in response. As long as I have you, he thought, I don’t need anyone else.

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

            That night, Donghae couldn’t sleep. There was something tugging at the back of his mind that he couldn’t put a finger to. Eunji was already sleeping, or so he thought, and he didn’t want to disturb her slumber. As always, his arms were around his beloved pet, caressing her soft fur. She looked so still, like a statue. The only thing that showed she wasn’t dead was the fact that her body was rising up and down as she breathed. Donghae smiled as he watched her sleep and slowly leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her head.

            Eunji opened her eyes and looked at Donghae with a curious expression, confused as to why he wasn’t asleep yet.

             “Go back to sleep,” Donghae whispered. “I’m sorry I woke you up.”

            The demon closed her eyes again, but didn’t go sleep. In fact, she had never gone to sleep in the first place. The only reason she closed her eyes in the first place was because Donghae told her to. For the past two hours, she just lay there, listening to Donghae’s thoughts. She knew that in the back of his scholarly mind, the logical part of his brain couldn’t wrap around the fact that she was Dongji, as the life span of a fox was only a mere two to three years, and twenty years have passed since the day Donghae had “found” her. But of course, that part of his mind was overshadowed by his love for her and thus, it was pushed to the back of his mind, which was the reason he couldn’t sleep. Eunji wanted to help her mate, but there was only so much she could do. She could give him hints or bits of her memories, as she did with Donghwa, but ultimately, he would have to be the one to piece it all together.

            Donghae sighed softly and quietly got off his bed. He pulled the blanket over Eunji’s body and gave her a final kiss before he slipped on a robe and left the room to go to his study. Striking a match, he lit the lantern hanging over his desk and turned around to face the wall of mounted book shelves. He pulled out several books and started reading, not wanting to waste any precious time.

            After an hour of reading, Donghae gave up. The information wasn’t sticking and he sighed in frustration. He stood up and placed the books back in their respective positions. As he turned around, his arm hit a book and sent it tumbling to the floor. Donghae let out another frustrated sighed and bent down to pick the book back up. His attention was immediately caught by the carefully drawn fox in the middle of the page. Intrigued, he brought the book back with him to his desk and started reading.

            From the shadows, Eunji watched Donghae read, hoping that she’d done the right thing. With a sigh, she vanished in thin air only to appear at her father’s castle seconds later. She climbed up onto her old bed and laid her head on her paws, pouting.

             “What’s wrong, Baby Girl?” the Demon King asked as he suddenly appeared next to her.

            Kyuhyun picked his daughter up in his arms and kissed her head. Eunji sighed and snuggled against him.

             “In the end, everything will be ok,” the Demon King reminded. “And if it isn’t ok, it’s not the end.”

            Eunji sighed and nodded. She stared up at her father with her big blue eyes and a soft whimper escaped . Daddy, I’m scared, she confessed as she rubbed her head against Kyuhyun’s chest.

             “Don’t be,” he whispered. “There’s no reason why you would be scared. No matter what form he takes, Donghae will always be your soul mate. Somewhere deep down in his soul, there will always be a piece of his past life in there. He belongs to you and no one else.”

            The Demon King smiled and patted Eunji head before gently setting her back down on her bed.

             “Go home,” he told her. “The little trouble maker’s waiting for you.”

            Eunji nodded and rubbed her head against Kyuhyun waist. I love you Daddy, she whispered.

             “I’ll always love you too,” Kyuhyun whispered back. “Go.”

            Will you tell the boys I love them? Eunji asked.

             “Of course,” nodded the Demon King, “Luhan’s going to through a fit when he finds out he missed you, but he can it up.”

            Eunji giggled and smiled. Shall I go see them before I leave?

             “Only if you’re not worried about having your eyes scarred for life,” Kyuhyun winked.

            The fox giggled again and hoped off the bed, making her way to the boys’ room. She slipped in the room through the slightly ajar door and hopped onto the foot of the bed. The sight in front of her melted her heart and she felt like she could burst with happiness. Under the large, fluffy blanket lay the boys, their limbs tangled with each other’s as they slept. Sehun’s arms held Luhan in a protective, almost cage like manner, ready to protect his lover against all the elements at any given moment. Their bodies radiated with so love and compassion that Eunji felt like she could be happy forever just by watching them. A thin layer of moister covered their bodies, suggesting that vigorous activities had occurred not long along. Can’t keep our hands off of each other, can we? she giggled. Not wanting to disturb their peaceful slumber, the demon quietly hopped off the bed and made her way out the door.  They’re made for each other, she thought as she slowly walked back to her room.

            She found her father exactly where she had last seen him and trotted over towards him. I’ll be going now Daddy, she said as she hopped onto his lap. I’ll be back soon. Thank you for everything. Kyuhyun smiled and hugged his daughter tight, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead as he did so.

             “Go,” he whispered in a gentle voice. “Your little human needs you.”

            Eunji nodded and Kyuhyun’s chin before she hopped off his lap. She walked a few meters then looked back at Kyuhyun as if she didn’t want to leave.

             “Go,” the Demon King encouraged. “It’ll be ok.”

            The fox nodded and with a barely audible pop, disappeared. Kyuhyun smiled and sighed. Good luck my daughter, he whispered. I know you’ll be able to do it…

tumblr_mibwk0weY61s3opnto1_250.png

             “Demon,” Donghae gasped.

            The book in his hands slipped from his hands, making a loud shuffling sound as it impacted with the ground. Donghae felt his legs buckle from under his weight and he too fell to the ground.  She’s a demon, he repeated to himself. Eunji’s a demon. He blinked several times, trying to comprehend the situation at hand. Suddenly, everything made sense; how Eunji could understand him, how she was still alive after twenty years, it was all coming together now. But if she’s a demon, Donghae wondered, why am I still alive? The book clearly stated that demons are bloodthirsty creatures that can and will massacre a village just for fun… The human shook his head again and slowly got up. With his heart pounding hard against his chest, he decided to get some answers from Eunji herself. A part of his brain screamed “this is suicide!” but Donghae pushed the thought away. If she really wanted to kill me, she would’ve done it already, he rationalized. There’s no reason to be afraid. But still, by the time Donghae reached his bed, his entire body was shaking in fear. He took a deep breath and slowly counted to ten in his head. This is it, he told himself.

             “Eun-Eunji,” he called in a shaky voice. “Are you awake?”

            In the darkness, a pair of bright eyes appeared, and although Donghae was waiting for them to appear, he still jumped about a foot when he saw them.

             “S-sorry,” he stammered. “Y-you scared me.”

            A soft whimper escaped his pet’s throat and her eyes closed, making her disappear back into the darkness.

             “Eunji?” Donghae called again, this time in a stronger, more controlled voice.

            Silence.

             “Eunji?”

            Again, silence. Eunji had never ignored him like that before and Donghae felt his heart sink as he realized why Eunji wasn’t responding to him; she was hurting because of his words. Guilt washed over him and he felt his heart ache. Lee Donghae, you are a fuc*ing moron, he told himself. Shoving all of his fears out the window, Donghae reached over and hugged his arms around Eunji’s tiny body. He pulled her towards him and cradled her in his arms.

             “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I didn’t mean to hurt you…”

            He closed his eyes and hugged her tighter against him. Another whimper escaped Eunji’s throat and Donghae felt his heart shattering into millions of tiny pieces at the sound.

             “I’m so sorry, Baby,” he repeated. “I’m so, so sorry. Will you please forgive me?”

            Eunji nodded in response, but the tears still gushed out of her eyes. She had mentally prepared herself for Donghae’s response but nevertheless, it killed her to see him tremble in fear at the sheer sight of her. It felt like her heart was ripped out of her chest and repeatedly being stabbed by a dull knife. If losing Donghae the first time hurt like hell, she couldn’t imagine how much pain she would feel if she lost him a second time.

             “I’m sorry.”

            Donghae brought his lips to her forehead and gently placed a kiss there. He sat down on this bed and slowly lay down with Eunji still in his arms. His arms tightened around her and he closed his eyes, his heart still aching.

             “I don’t care anymore,” he whispered. “You’re my Eunji and that’s all that matters.”

            You really don’t care? asked a small voice in Donghae’s head. Startled, he gasped quietly, but nevertheless, he answered. I don’t care. Whatever you are, deep down, you’re still my Eunji. To affirm his statement, he rolled over on his back and laid Eunji on his chest, just above where his heart was located. It’s yours, he told her. Eat it; play with it; do what you want with it. It’s yours.

            Eunji laid her head against Donghae’s chest, listening to the rapid beating of his heart. She felt it quicken as she pressed her head against Donghae’s chest but it soon slowed to its normal pace.

             “You really do love me, don’t you?” the human whispered in realization. “But…the book said demons don’t feel love. Aren’t you supposed to kill me for my heart?”

            I’ve waited over two thousand years to hear your heart beat, Eunji stated in a soft, sad voice. I’d rather go through Hell and back again than to never hear this beautiful sound again.

             “What? You… waited thousand years to hear my heart beat? Why?” Donghae demanded as he tucked his head forward to frown at Eunji.

            Because you’re my soul mate, the demon answered, her words resonating with pain.

             “What?”

            This time, Donghae wrapped his arms around Eunji so she would fall off and sat up completely. He stared into her bright blue eyes, his brown orbs full of confusion. Eunji sighed and pouted. Are you sure you want to know everything? Donghae thought about it for a minute and nodded.

             “I want to know everything,” he decided.

            The fox smiled sadly and sighed again. It’s a long story, she warned, and it’s a sad one too… Donghae closed his eyes and brought Eunji’s body to his face. He rubbed his face against her soft, sweet smelling fur and kissed her face. I want to know everything, he repeated. I want to know our history. The demon smiled and nodded. She closed her eyes and using her powers, pulled Donghae into her memories, showing him everything she’s ever known.

            When she had revealed everything to Donghae, she pulled him out of her memories and quietly waited for his response. Like Donghwa, Donghae stared at her, not knowing what to say.

             “You… you suffered all that, just be to with me?” he choked out when he finally found his voice.

            Eunji nodded sadly and sighed. Donghae let out a quiet puff of air and he hugged her closer against his chest.

             “I’m sorry I made you wait so long,” he whispered. “I must’ve been one hell of a moron for not coming back to you sooner.”

             “And now that I’m here,” he continued, “you’ll never have to worry about me leaving ever again. There’s no way I’m going to ever let you suffer all that again. I want to stay with you for the rest of eternity.”

            Donghae closed his eyes and pressed his lips against Eunji’s neck. As he did so, Eunji’s gold tinted fur started to glow, something that only happens when she reached the highest level of joy. Her Soul Key emerged from her body and dangled from her neck. Donghae felt the key as it materialized from Eunji’s chest and he opened his eyes. Curious, he touched the key and gasped quietly as it started to glow. The stone in the middle of her Soul Key bow glowed as if it was a star, spreading its rays of light everywhere.  The key started to glow brighter and brighter and Donghae had to cover his eyes with his arm to shield himself from the bright light.

            The second that Donghae’s arms removed themselves from her body, Eunji felt her body start to change into her human form. She bit her lip, a little worried about how Donghae would react; after all, he has never seen her as in her human form, ever. Her Soul Key started to dim to a bearable brightness and glowed heartily against her chest.

             “Donghae?” she asked in a quiet voice.

            Donghae removed his arms from his face and gaped at the woman in front of him. Tentatively, he reached out and touched her face.

             “Are you my Eunji?” he asked even though he already knew the answer.

            The demon nodded and bit her lip, scared of what he was going to say next. But instead of saying another, Donghae tipped her chin up and captured her lips with his. His arms wrapped around her body, pressing her body against his, as his hands caressed her long locks. Eunji felt her head become light and she instinctively wrapped her arms around Donghae’s head. The human smiled through the kiss and deepened it, causing Eunji to gasp softly and thus giving him entrance to . Passion burned in the human’s soul and suddenly, it felt like the hole that has always been missing in his soul was finally filled. You’re the missing piece to my soul, Donghae realized. Please, let me be with you for the rest of eternity. The demon felt her heart start to beat rapidly and a strong wave of emotions hit her hard. Do you really want to stay with me? she asked. Why wouldn’t I? he responded. I’m yours, just like your mine.

            By the time they broke away from the kiss, they were both a little breathless. Donghae lay down, taking Eunji him. He closed his eyes when he felt Eunji’s head rest of his neck.

             “Are you sure you want to stay with me forever?” Eunji asked again.

            Donghae nodded.

             “You’ll have to give up your life for me,” the demon warned softly, “you’ll have me , but you’ll have to watch everyone else you love die while you never age…”

            A prang of pain struck Donghae’s heart at the thought of losing all of his friends and family, but he nodded again.

             “You suffered all that for me,” he whispered, “I’ll be the worse person to ever walk this Earth if I let all your blood and tears to waste.”

             “Are you sure?” the demon asked. “When I give you my Soul Key, there won’t be a way to reverse this. Think hard Donghae. I don’t want you to live an eternity suffering.”

             “I’ll only be suffering if you’re not by my side,” was his answer.

            Eunji’s throat began to burn and she felt the tears come to her eyes. She felt her Soul Key start to detach itself from her neck and make its way to Donghae. The long, silver chain unlinked as the key floated towards Donghae. The gem in the middle of the key bow changed from a vibrant blue color to a passionate red color and started to glow brightly as the key slowly entered Donghae’s body. The human let out a soft gasp and his heart started beating faster and faster. When his body had completely absorbed Eunji’s Soul Key, he felt its chain slowly slither around his heart and close his. Donghae squeezed Eunji’s hand in fear, but nevertheless, held still as the chain slowly locked the Soul Key and his heart together. When the chain finally linked itself back together again, Donghae felt his heart beat start to slow until it finally stopped beating. It resumed back to its normal pace shortly afterwards, but from that moment on, it was like he had reached equilibrium.

            Donghae let out the breath of air he was holding and looked up at Eunji. She looked at with a shy expression and he smiled.

             “What’s next?” he asked.

            Eunji bit her lip and leaned in, guiding Donghae’s head to her neck.

             “You need my blood to complete the bond between us,” she whispered. “Just bite. Don’t worry; it won’t hurt me.”

            The human nodded and opened his lips. His teeth clamped down on Eunji’s neck and soon, he tasted her blood on his tongue. Unlike human blood, Eunji’s blood tasted as sweet as her scent. It was delicious and intoxicating and the more Donghae tasted, the more he wanted. He bit down harder, earning a small gasp from the demon.

             “Sorry,” he apologized as he quickly detached his lips from Eunji’s neck. “I… I got carried away.”

            Eunji smiled at her mate and shook her head, her wound quickly disappearing as her body healed itself.

             “It’s supposed to be intoxicating,” she explained. “That’s the reason we don’t usually give our Soul Keys away. It’s too dangerous for the demon…”

            Donghae’s eyes grew wide and he gawked at Eunji.

             “Then why did you give yours to me?” he gasped. “If it’s dangerous… God, I shouldn’t have done that… what if I—?”

            Eunji leaned in and silenced Donghae with a kiss.

             “I gave mine to you because I trusted you to not take enough to kill me,” she whispered.  “Love is the most powerful force in the world; it will overpower every other force, even when they’re all combined. You love me, and that’s all the information I need to share with you everything I have.”

            Donghae smiled and hugged Eunji close, feeling her warmth radiate from her body.

             “So, can we stay together forever now?” he asked.

            The demon nodded and felt tears come to her eyes. Finally, after over two thousand years of pain and suffering, she would finally be able to stay with her soul mate, and this time, she would be able to stay with him for the rest of eternity, just like she had always wanted.

 


And so there you have it. I, KatyMikayla, just completed a short story... of course, it was just about 21,000 words.. but still~ xD Better than the over 100,000 words I have for Slave and 40,000 for Betrayal xD

OH~ And I almost forgot: Memories will be up... sometime... this year xD lmfao. so stay tuned :D It'll probably mostly be about Hunhan... since they're the ones "growing" the most during the last 1000 years xD