PROLOGUE.

One Day

PROLOGUE.

"Yah! Jeongminnie!" Shouted an 8 year old JiHyun excitedly. The boy turned to the direction of the voice only to have a wide smile spread accross his face. Bounding over to the girl his heart started to beating faster.

"Took you long enough!" The girl teased. The young boy just rolled his eyes, still smiling.

"What do you want to do today Hyunnie?" He asked. It was summer, as kids they could play all they wanted without a care in the world. Of course, they weren't going to let the hot summer days pass by them like a gust of wind. They wanted to make the most of it, together.

Currently standing in the middle of a park that they visited frequently, JiHyun put her finger to her chin. "Hmm, I want to eat ice cream." She concluded, after a short while.

"Arrasso, let's go!" Jeongmin said whilst taking the girls hand in his and starting to walk off. After a few minutes, they reached their favourite ice cream shop, 'Peace, Love and Ice Cream'. They entered, hand in hand and walked to the counter.

"What flavour are you going to get, oppa?" JiHyun asked whilst staring at the list in front of them. "I think I'm going to have... passion fruit!" She exclaimed, pointing to the the pink-y coloured ice cream in the display refrigerator.

"I'll have the same then." Jeongmin decided with a small smile. "Ajusshi, may we have two cones of passion fruit ice cream, please." The boy asked politely. The Ajusshi was a kind old man who frequently served the two kids as they had become regulars over the summer months.

"Of course you can Jeongmin, are you guys enjoying your summer?" The old man asked whilst scooping up the ice cream.

"Ne!" They replied in unison, causing him to chuckle. He placed the ice creams on the counter for them before saying:

"You kids come here so much it's a wonder your parents have any money left... say, how about I say these ice creams are on the house today as you are such sweet and polite children." The kinds stared at him before shaking their heads.

"Ajusshi, we can't let you do that! You work so hard, you deserve the money." JiHyun said with a pout. The man softened at them, although they were so young, they seemed to already understand some of the world around them.

"I insist, you are young, you shouldn't be worrying about an old man like me." He said seriously with a hint of pleading present in his voice. Seeing the man's expression, they nodded and flashed him smiles.

"Thank you, Ajusshi! Please look after yourself well and don't skip meals." Jeongmin said before the two were ushered out the door by the chuckling man who was saying things such as 'I will' and 'get outside and soak up the heat, it's summer!'.

They walked back to the park and sat on the grass whilst enjoying their ice creams. Chatting away for the whole afternoon, they were just comfortable in each other's presence. If they were older, people passing by would probably mistake them as a couple.

Both kids didn't understand the feeling that was starting to burn inside them, they didn't understand the importance of each other's company until the horrible day two years later...

______________________________________________________________

The now 10 year old JiHyun sat on a bench in the same park waiting for Jeongmin who had told her that he needed to talk to her in the evening. He had avoided her the whole day and of course, she couldn't understand why. Wondering how long he was going to be, the girl leaned back on the bench with a sigh. Why couldn't he have spoken to her earlier? What was so important that he had to talk to her now?

Snapping out of her thoughts, she felt a figure standing in front of her. She looked up to see a Jeongmin, but he wasn't wearing his normal smiling face, which concerned her. He stood uncomfortably, pursing his lips with tears in his eyes.

"Jeongmin, gwenchana?" She asked worriedly, standing up and reaching out to him. The boy moved back away from her hand and shook his head. Disappointment shot through her body as her hand fell limp at her side. "What's wrong?" She asked again.

"You." The boy replied, looking into her eyes. A dumbfounded look quickly found it's way to the girls face. "Ever since we met, I feel like I've had to look after you, you're a burden." He spat. Flinching at his words, tears started to form in the poor girls eyes. "You're annoying, and you look terrible, why do you think you have no friends!? I can't understand why I wasted over two years of my life spending time with you, I could've been out making friends instead of being stuck with you!" He shouted with venom. Tears spilled from her eyes as each word felt like a knife getting jabbed into her back. JiHyun tried to mumble a 'I'm sorry' but it came out too broken to understand. "I don't want to look at your hideous face, anymore! Don't talk to me again." He finished.

If the girl hadn't been crying so much she would've been able to see all the hurt and guilt that flashed in his eyes every time he said one of those sentences. Feeling crushed and dejected, the girl looked down at the ground and bowed slightly to him before turning around and walking off. Whilst watching her retreating figure, Jeongmin finally let his tears fall as he too, turned and walked to the house that would be his home for one more night.

By morning, when JiHyun work up with puffy red eyes, Jeongmin and his family were gone. She was alone. Yes she had her older brother and parents but their company wasn't the same as his. No one else's could make up for his.

Within months, the once bubbly girl had become quiet and unsociable. She buried her head in school books to try and forget him, but it was futile, there would always been a lingering attachment to him. Deciding that she didn't want it to happen again, she blocked herself off from people other than her family. As she moved up grades in school, she became more intelligent and even less talkative. She didn't want to see Jeongmin again, if she did, it would only bring up their happy memories together.

She really was:

Isolated and broken.

______________________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

HI EVERYONE, SO HERE'S THE FIRST CHAPTER, IT'S JUST THE PROLOGUE OF THE STORY, I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED IT... EVEN THOUGH THE SECOND HALF WAS SAD.

I REALLY WANTED TO SHOW YOU GUYS HOW INTELLIGENT THE KIDS WERE FOR THEIR AGE, BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE AND YEAH... YEAH, I'M RAMBLING NOW...

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

THANKS!

- CHIBBLES-IMNIDA