Stress Reliever

Library

Libraries are the epitome of quietness. Having one stumble from a table across and heads will turn like mole heads on those 'whack-a-mole' machines. This certain library was really packed today. It's finals week you see. The students all stressed themselves to cram in the necessary knowledge for their specific exams. Well, Jonghyun and friends aren't the study type. He would always say "I'll ace this with my stock knowledge guys, don't worry" with that cheeky smirk before an exam, which then leads to him leaving the exam room with his head down, regretting his previous actions. Jonghyun is not a dumb kid, he just loses motivation easily but his procrastination skills in on top. The guy would play time consuming games with his friends.

Today, Jonghyun needed to study. That is why he's in the 'stupid' (as he would say) library in the first place. However, finding an available seat is a problem. Either a granny or somone from his college that he doesn't know is sitting where he wants to. Jonghyun scratched his head while he stared at the student that may leave. He looked pretty dumb standing there but he is determined to start studying from now on (again, as he would say). After 5 minutes that seems like 200 has passed and he finally spotted a lone chair that stuck out next to another student. Jonghyun power-walked to the towards the chair. When he reached the desk, he quickly sat down with a sigh of relief while he hugged his backpack. It was like a battlefield for him. This of course gained him some interesting looks from the people around him. Especially, this girl who giggled quietly when she saw Jonghyun having difficulty to even find a seat, in a library. Jonghyun noticed the girl's presence next to him and saw the suspect who laughed at him. She was a college student as well, but a senior due to the amount of advanced books that she had. This girl kept giggling to herself  even if the 'funny part' has already passed. Jonghyun observed the girl while he took out his books (only two of them) and study resources (a pen). He saw that the girl couldn't stop laughing to herself but all Jonghyun did was smile and with this, began his long, super long, studies.

 

30 minutes passed and Jonghyun had enough. The boy started procrastinating. First thing he did was play every game on his, just to get away doing anything, then he kept rocking back and forth on his chair. Jonghyun was not aware that the girl was looking at him while he played his game. Jonghyun felt someone staring at him so glanced to his left and locked eyes with the girl. Jonghyun did not expect her to be entertained with what he is doing. The smal shock caused Jonghyun to nearly falling on his back while he rocked back and forth. This small scene again, caused that girl next to him to shyly giggle between intervals of reading her notes. Jonghyun dismissed the girl's presence again after this encounter but he was getting intrigued with the girl's antics. She seemed playful he thought. Someone that could just have fun and not think about anything. Even though everyone was stressing out due to the exams, she still had time to laugh and switch between the serious mood to the animated mood. Something that Jonghyun wants to balance out himself. 

Jonghyun was now stealing glances at the girl as he pushed himself to study all the key terms for his english exam. "Lexis... lexical field... jargon...". Jonghyun was droning out of sanity as he was clearly oblivious of what the contents of his text book is giving to him. Jonghyun looked at the girl in between trails of thought as he was clearly getting distracted. Now he was caught. He saw the girl's full facial features as she placed back the hair that was covering Jonghyun's view behind her ear and that's when Jonghyun thought she was quite cute and he would certainly wouldn't mind to gettting to know her more. Her smooth brunette her fell in place as she flicks it back to elevate comfort. The way slightly opens as she mouths out words was cute to him. Her petite figure was very much Jonghyun's type. Jonghyun was just an audience as she was stuck in her studies.

Suddenly, the boy had an idea. He ripped a piece of paper from his blue notebook that has barely any notes inside. and he wrote a short, simple sentence. Then, he folded the piece and threw is with minimum force on the girl's desk. The girl got a small shock as the paper landed right in front of her. She looked at the potential suspect to her right which caused Jonghyun to quickly pretend that he didn't do such a thing. The girl knew it was that short guy next to her that threw the paper. She smirked at the sudden movement and finally opened it up which said

"Wanna get out of here?"

The girl was confused at first but decided to play along with it. She wrote back to the guy next to her that kept rocking on his chair which nearly caused her to die of laughter when he nearly fell. The girl threw back the paper. The landing was not the best as it hits Jonghyun's face and falls down on the table. Jonghyun quickly unwrapped the folds because he thought that she wouldn't actually reply to a random stranger in a library. Her reply was,

"Babo, study first mister!"

Jonghyun's disappointed look was present and obvious as he read the note quietly on his head. This led him to frown turn his head to the left for about  the thousand time and give the girl his popular dog-eyed look. He learnt this from his maknae friend, Taemin. His elaborate technique did not work as the girl just shrugged at him and she pointed two times at the two books that laid on the desk. She faced Jonghyun again and he was still looking at her. It caused her to mouth out the two syllables in 'study' and repeatedly point at his lonely books. Jonghyun only replied with a sad 'okay'. However, this did not stop his mission. He ripped another piece, now from his actual notes and wrote another note for the girl,

"You're distracting me"

The girl, had time to play around. She was already finished studying for the day anyway but she was just amused with this dinosaur looking guy sitting about 1.5 meters next to her. She got another note but now she was used to it and she happily opened it without hesitation.

 

The replies were second nature now. They started talking about their day and foods that they are craving that day. The exchanging of notes kept Jonghyun sane as he was about to break down from studying. She actually helped him with some study techniques as they passed each other notes. The girl also talked about how some stinky man sat next to her before him, causing Jonghyun to gag because he sat on the chair for so long. They talked through notes for a complete hour not actually considering the people around them. Jonghyun felt that she was like him. A happy go lucky person. Someone that would just go with the flow. He hated those uptight people. So he was pleased that she replied to his one stupid note to start it off. Jonghyun was excited to hang out with this girl that he randomly met at their library so he asked one more time,

"Hey, it's getting late. You wanna get something to eat?"

Jonghyun had double thoughts about his question. What if she thinks I'm a player? What if she is waiting for someone to pick her up? These butterflies ate up Jonghyun but then he realised that he already got this far so he just went screw it and he threw this one last paper. Hoping to get a good response.

The girl caught the note that Jonghyun threw to her. She was getting the hang of catching that small piece of paper as she kinda on the first few tries. She opened it up and saw his question. The girl thought it was fine and had no problems hanging out with Jonghyun. She didn't bother replying with the note and she just packed up her revision books and walked up to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun felt someone's finger that tapped on his shoulder a few times as he played tetris on the higher speed. He thought that it was a librarian at first, asking him to leave or something. But it was something better. Jonghyun looked up to the girl that he was talking to through notes earlier and there she was in front of him. He looked so small in front of her due to her standing up and him (being small already) sitting down looking up. So, he quickly stood up and smiled at her, being shy at first. The girl replied the action and he just laughed then his hands went to his blushed face. They were in the middle of the library still so they couldn't have a normal conversation. Jonghyun whispered,

"Hey, you're pretty cool"

to the girl and she replied with the usual "you too". Jonghyun then remembered his question and instantly brought it up.

"Um, so what's your reply? Are you done to eat something?"

Jessica nodded yes and she gave Jonghyun those smiles that would melt a person. Jonghyun was ecstatic. Without waiting for the girl to finish, he quickly placed his books back in his bag and faced the girl. The girl then asked something before they went out of the library.

"I still need to know your name before we go. You didn't ask my name too"

Jonghyun facepalmed himself because he forgot the essentials of conversation. Most of Jonghyun's reactions made the girl laugh with her hand over .

"Jonghyun. My name's Jonghyun. Your name?"

He finally got the question out that should've been asked at the start.

"Jessica. Call me Sica. This type of pick up that you did. I haven't experienced before."

Jonghyun wanted to laugh out loud due to Jessica's comment but people would be looking at him all funny again. He answered as he pulled Jessica out of the library.

"Noooo. I don't want to pick up a cute and smart girl like you. I tried to pick um.. you know.. a stress reliever. Yeah, that"

He joked as they walked around the campus. Jessica tried to smack his shoulder but Jonghyun instinctly flinched back. Jonghyun and Jessica stopped again due not having a next destination.

"What do you want to eat? Choose so we can stop freezing our asses off"

Jonghyun accompanied his statement with shiver. He had forgotten his jacket at home and he froze up due to that mishap. Jessica wanted to cover him up with her parka but Jonghyun retaliated as he said he didn't want to look like a pansy. Jessica was full of giggles with Jong and she didn't mind what to eat. But when she was asked, she answered,

"Ice cream!"

just to mess with him. Jonghyun's jaw dropped at what Jessica said. They stood outside campus in the negative temperature and it made Jonghyun froze up even more. Jonghyun was ready to deny but Jessica beats him to it,

"You asked me what to eat, so let's eat ice cream. No backing out!"

Jessica smacked Jonghyun's chest before she skipped away to the only convenience store in the food court of their campus.

 

"Give me that Cookies and Cream one, please."

Jonghyun dug through the assorted selection of ice cream in the fridge, shaking as the cold artificial wind blows at his face. He was relieved that Jessica didn't want anything expensive. He was a broke student and the 'cheapness' seemed natural and cute. Jonghyun was a er for 'cute'. His friends always have the time to annoy him about it too. Jonghyun passed the ice cream to Jessica and they both walked up to the counter.

"Thanks for this Jong"

That's what she calls him now. Jonghyun started to feel the relationship grow with this girl and he was obviously glad. He also changed his bad opinion about ice cream in winter. Thanks to this girl. The two just kept on talking and talking. Not caring about the time and the people around them. Jessica would sometimes make these silly faces that would make Jonghyun crack up and he would reply in the same manner. It took quite a long time, but this introduction was worth it. If he had not went to the library and sat on that old man's stinky seat, he wouldn't have met this amazing girl. Jonghyun thought about how he would've certainly regret if he didn't pass those childish letters to her. These thoughts crowded his mind as they converse about anything they want without judgement.

Jonghyun finished his ice cream before Jessica, which suprised the other girl. He stood up from his seat, motioning that he had to leave.

"Hmm, It's getting late now. My roommate will kill me if I don't go home. Your dorm is just near right?"

Jong looked at his clock while he scratched his head. Jessica stood up as well. Still latching on the half-eaten ice cream. She looked let down about what Jonghyun said. She had too much fun to stop now. She is his stress reliever.

"But I thought we're going somewhere else? You said!"

Jonghyun didn't expect her reaction and he quickly laughed it off to not show his melted inside.

"Tomorrow okay?"

Jessica wouldn't budge.

"Come on. You don't want me to get in trouble right?"

Jessica just looked down at the grey cement.

"You're a little kid aren't you?"

Jessica finally showed signs of response. A slight flinch when Jonghyun took his hands and placed it on her shoulders to reassure her that there's still time another day. Jessica was stubborn because she felt that she would go back to her boring and dull life of going to the library and just study. Every, single day. She was tired of that lifestyle. She wanted a change for the exciting life and this was a start. With Jonghyun helping her. Jonghyun lowered his head (only a little bit because of his already short height) to get eye contact with Jessica. Jessica closed her eyes and tilted her head slighty to the side. Jonghyun laughed at this sight.

"Yah, Sica. You watch too many dramas"

Sica slowly opened her eyes and Jonghyun was still quite close to her. A mere 30 centimeters was close enough.

"I'll see you tomorrow okay? In the library, same time, same place. You go home and rest. It's been a long, long day"

Jonghyun tapped Jessica's shoulders as he said this on each syllable of the sentence. Finally, Jessica agreed. She slowly got her belongings together to get ready to go home.

"Thanks for giving me those notes, you babo. I had fun though" 

she smiled. Jonghyun clutched his bag behind his back and replied

"It was my pleasure. Have a good night okay?"

Jonghyun asked so many questions just to assure himself that they will meet again. Both of them are children stuck in adult bodies as they kept playing around. Jonghyun decisively readied himself to go but before he could, he shocked Jessica with a peck on the cheek. It was a quick one. A playful one. The type that can be easily down but deeply meant. Jessica just blushed red as Jonghyun pulled back. He looked around the surroundings taking in what he just done. However, those butterflies quickly vanished. He took Jessica by the shoulders again and shook her a little bit to get her back to earth. The girl dazed out. However, Jonghyun really had to go so he said one last thing,

"I wasn't trying to bag a cute and smart girl, I'm trying to bag the cutest and smartest girl ever..."

Jonghyun slapped himself with the failed pick up line and he started to walk away facing Jessica with smiling eyes along with frantic waves that would create a blurring illusion. Jonghyun let out a loud "Sica! You're pretty!" as he started to pace harder back home. Jessica looked on to Jonghyun's frame that quickly disappeared and giggled at Jonghyun's dumb (as she would now say) antics.

Jessica stood on that same spot for about 5 minutes, letting the event that just happened sink in. After, she lit up. Each step back home was acompanied with a light skip. She whistled to her favorite song as she reached the front door of her dorm. She knocked on the door due to her forgetful self, leaving the keys behind.

After 3 loud knocks, the door opened. An even smaller, petite girl looked at Jessica and observed her before letting her in. She noticed  Jessica giggling for no reason and that girl knew exactly, that something amazing happened to her friend.

"You better tell me about something worthwhile or else I will kill you for waking me up"

 


That's it, I changed the end because the one I wrote in class was cheese peeze. It was bad basically. But this seemed rushed as well because I had work today. hmm. However, here is something for deprived JongSica peeps.

Goodnight. :)