Rehabilitation

Lifeguard

 

The tall blond strode with a confident gait only few can pull off towards his usual spot by the high bench overlooking the section of the pool he was in-charge of, ignoring the flirtatious looks and whisper thrown his way by interested females eyeing him with predatory look in their eye.

Settling his long frame on the chair, he adjusted himself to as much comfort as possible on the plastic chair before the usual brooding look settled on his handsome back, a small scowl evident as he spotted his friend Chanyeol a distance away from him on identical high chair, his expression the complete opposite from his.

Whereas Kris was annoyed with this current job, Chanyeol was all sunshine-happy with it. Of course, the fact that Kris was unwillingly goaded into doing this job by the latter factored into his current mood… or rather, his mood for the past month that he’d been playing lifeguard to unsuspecting victims (mostly females who’d faked their distress just to get a chance with him).

Kris still couldn’t believe how his friend had used his prideful nature to jeer at his lack of interest to signing up as a lifeguard, teasing at his avoidance towards females and the need to hide his sculptured body from the world.

“You gay?” Lay’s insult had him taking the bait… and regretting his impulse for days to come.

“I don’t get how the girls are still attracted to you when you’re practically glowering the entire time on duty.” Baekhyun complained by his place beneath Kris’s chair, scanning the crowd that had steadily gathered around their work station.

“Because I’m good looking. But I’m more than happy to pass on the unwanted attention to you. I’m only here because of that stupid taunt.” Kris grimaced, gazing further out to the more deserted part of the pool where he spotted a group of girls around his age.

Though they weren’t as openly engross in staring at the various lifeguard around, he could still see most of them quietly checking the various lifeguard station… except for the girl who was holding on to the hands of a curvaceous female as though trying to float with her support, her face contorted with intense focus as she lightly peddled her legs in practice.

Despite having her hair matted to her scalp and her face free of artificial make up, she was a natural beauty. The lightly tanned skin gave her a slight exotic feel, allowing her to stand out from the crowd of typical pale Koreans while her determination added her appeal to him.

Shrugging his initial attraction towards the unknown girl, Kris tore his gaze away from the group before any eye contact could be made; making another sweep of the area with professional expertise. Yet his eyes unconsciously went back to the girl every now and then, watching as she listened to her friend’s instruction carefully before executing movements all amateur swimmers have to learn.

Once or twice, he caught himself smiling at the mistakes she made, causing her friends to laugh at her as she surfaced, spitting water everywhere.

“Yah, aren’t you getting down? Our shift is over!” Luhan hollered from beside Baekhyun and Jonghyun(who was there to relieve his shift), their brows arched.

“You usually are the first one to practically scramble down from your position to get away from this place. Why are you zoning out today? You’re the last, if possible.” Chen joined them, moving in the direction where eight other males wait by the locker area.

Kris tried not to take a final peek at the group but failed to resist the temptation when his head acted on its own and caused him to freeze for a millisecond when his gaze collided with large brown ones for that quick second before she broke it off when her face disappeared under water.

Snapping his head back, Kris lightly pressed his hand against his cheeks, hoping that no one saw the slight blush forming high on his face.

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung, Choi Sooyoung. That was her name, as he’d “by-the-ear” found out when he’d bumped into the red head—Tiffany, she’d introduced herself—when she and Chanyeol stopped by his station a few days ago, both linking arms as though they didn’t just started hanging out yesterday.

“Hey Kris, Fany here said one of her friend is interested in you.” His friend hollered, uncaring of the gaze thrown their way.

His face pinched in impatience, Kris climbed down from his place, slapping a hand over Chanyeol’s mouth before turning to look at the petite red head.

“Who?” Kris told himself he hasn’t hope for anything with that question; a normal response.

“See that girl coaching the brunette how to swim? That one.” Tiffany’s finger was aimed a few meters away from where he’d expected it to be.

“Tell her I’m flattered but I’m sorry. Anyway, that friend can’t swim?” His remark was casual, his intention anything but.

“That friend… Oh, you mean Sooyounggie? Yep, she can’t. And isn’t it ironic that she’s called Choi Sooyoung? She’s only picking it up for rehabilitation purposes.” As though realizing she’d revealed too much, Tiffany covered with a hand, clearly flustered.

“I won’t ask anymore, neither will I tell anyone else about it so ease up. Anyway, thank your friend’s interest for me and again, I apologize.” With a quick wave, Kris went back to his duty, dismissing the couple beneath him as his mind drifted to what Tiffany just revealed.

Rehabilitation? What happened?

Looking across the expense of the pool to the furthest corner where Sooyoung was attempting simple strokes from the female, Yuri, Kris couldn’t help but think that she looked just as healthy as any other person.

He shouldn’t be intrigued by Sooyoung. Kris didn’t even know her personally, yet his attention on her was constant enough to even scare himself.

Shaking his head out of this silliness, he turned his head pointedly in the other direction from where Sooyoung was before carrying out his duty proper.

 

 

 

Kris made his last round of the pool, taking time to strode past the whole arena, finally understanding why being the last guard on duty was a dread to everyone. Thank God for the mini coach he’s driving now as he made his round. Kris didn’t think he’d finish it on foot if he ever wants to get home before midnight.

Preparing to pull the cart away from the normal pool, the distant splash of water had him snapping his head back, the cart coming to an abrupt halt.

It wasn’t unusual to hear the sound of water in this place. It’s a water theme park after all. But splash he heard was unlike the calm swish of water common after closing hour; it sounded more like a struggle-with-water splash.

His keen gaze did a quick scan of the pool before Kris spotted a flailing hand by the deeper part of the pool. Instinct took over as he dived in without hesitation,  his lean body cutting through the water clear, reaching his target within seconds as he held those slim arm captive, pulling her head out of the water for oxygen to get through her.

Wiping his face with a hand; clearing his vision, a jolt went through him when his gaze connected with those that he’d been spying on for the past two weeks as she coughed violently against his chest, her body weak in the water, flowing naturally against his own.

Pulling himself together, Kris looped an arm around her neck, holding her head above the water before carefully swimming them back to the edge, lifting her easily over before exiting the pool himself.

“You okay? What happened?” He finally asked, watching as she gave another few quiet cough to clear any remaining water.

Breathing in deep, she tested out her vocals before throwing him off again with her voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine now, thanks to you.” Soft, mellow, refined. Those were the only words to describe the tone.

“May I ask why are you still in the pool after closing hours?” Kris carefully kept the accusation in his tone absent when he would have used it on any other person without a second thought.

She blushed, a pretty tinge to her high cheekbones before looking away from him.

“It’s silly, really. But I guess I owe you this since I’m not supposed to be here in the first place and I’ve caused you trouble.” She sighed, biting her lips before blurting out.

“I wanted to make sure my back is better by tomorrow. So I thought by swimming for a longer period, it’d be better for me. I kind of hid behind that boulder when it was time for everyone to leave. I know I shouldn’t do this, but I need to show the doctor that I’m fine.”

“And how did you almost drown?” He inquired softly as she winced at his question.

“I think I overstrain myself. Instead of getting better, I think I pulled a nerve at my spine. That moment of pain sort of knocked me unconscious for a few seconds.”

Kris was carrying her in a swoop of his arms, his long stride taking him to the cart in moments before he turned it to the direction of the entrance, intent on getting her to the hospital when a quiet laugh, which eventually turned to a full blown chuckle, had him getting the cart to a quick stop by the staff area.

“I… I’m sorry. I don’t mean to mock your action. I’m grateful, really erm…”

“Kris. Kris Wu.”

“Kris. But I experience this once in a while, when I overstrained my back. I got a spinal injury a month back during a car accident. It took a while before I could fully move and my therapist advised for me to take up swimming to strengthen my back. This is why I’ve been here with my friends quite often. Oh, I’m Sooyoung, by the way. Choi Sooyoung.” She reached out a hand, shaking the hand he’d left resting on his thighs on her own initiative.

Kris decided to keep mum about knowing her name already.

“I’m fine now so you don’t have to send me to the hospital or anything. I’ll be there on my own tomorrow anyway. No difference in waiting a few hours. Thanks again for saving me. It’s like you’re my personal lifeguard.” Sooyoung grinned, waving her joke away as she prepared to get off the cart.

“Sooyoung ssi.” Kris called out as she turned back with a small smile on her face.

“What time is your appointment tomorrow?” Sooyoung arched a brow.

“I’ll go with you… you know, to make sure you’re really fine. I don’t like being lied to.” He blabbered, this time being the one to blush at his uncharacteristic behavior.

“You really don’t act like how you appear to be. It adds to your appeal. Anyway, you don’t have to carry out your duty as a lifeguard to this extent, but if you want to, sure. I don’t like going alone anyway.” Sooyoung shrugged, telling him the details and thanking him once again before leaving.

Watching her retreating back, Kris had to wonder if she knew the real extent of his intention to be her own personal lifeguard not just in the sense of professional work, but out of it as well.