Admiration For The Saviour

The Child of Namyrur

Taemin ran for at least three minutes before he felt his lungs aching for oxygen and his legs giving up on him. He stops mid-way; bending down to his knees to catch his breath and glances behind in hope Minho wouldn't be in sight. The sun is beating relentlessly this afternoon and Taemin squint his eyes in defiance. He can't see for certain if Minho is still there or not but he is certainly not going back to him. It's only now that he realizes he forgot to bring the Book of Law along.

"O well. It will fare." Taemin dismiss, his breath still slightly panting.

Taemin decides to continue the path nonetheless. A few moments later, Taemin reaches the town and the dread in his heart wells up at the sight. The path stops before a short and mossy stairs, heading up to a human sea of jolly every day’s business. Cheap grocery stall sellers yell for customers and commoners go about the town, some with rattan basket tucked under their arm to fill in the goods they obtained in exchange with shillings. Loud children with clothes all dirty from playing on the ground dash through the common people, laughing a midst the chaos playing before Taemin's streaked eyes. This is the poorer section of the Kingdom.

Sighing and grunting loudly to himself, Taemin decides to brave himself through the human sea. He holds in his breath. Just pass the town, there will be a stone bridge and a big arch at the end of it. The bridge leads to the Vawdrey City standing directly in front of the castle gate. That part of the Kingdom won't be so stifling, Taemin figures. So he dives in, managing to slip in between a fat, fish-smelling aunt and a greying-hair priest. Taemin found himself fortunately pushed towards the bridge. As soon as he rushes out from the human sea, Taemin releases the breathe he held in and walks across the bridge towards the Vawdrey City.

Clouds begin to form a wall before the sun and a cool shade blanket the province land. The streets in the City aren't crowded like the lower town but the citizen counts are still remarkable.

This is the centre of trade in the whole province built right in front of the stronghold. It is merchants most hailed commerce location and shoppers most sought after spot. It boasts the highest security. The City has also seen many winters. People who live here are free citizens, neither working as a Master's servant nor pitching the land for every day’s harvest to serve food on their dinner table. They have their share of fortune.

A distant merry sound of a minstrel and a flautist catches Taemin's hearing. He found himself walking among the citizens towards the sound. It is a beautiful city, rarely fancied for its landmark, the Bucking Stallion, Svadilfari, proudly propped in the City square's old fountain. No one knows when or who sculpted it. Legend has it the stallion used to be a magical being in the White Druid Land that belonged to a frost giant. Taemin stops before the fountain to study the ash-white sculpture, the musician duet at his side. He figures no one probably ever truly believes in the legend behind it. Magic is long forgotten. The stallion holds nothing besides its old stone and a lost beauty.

"How sad." Taemin mutters to himself. People of late have no strong faith in themselves that as every second goes by, the mythical talent within their grasp is fading without their own conscience. If practiced for good, magic can provide many benefits. Like grooming the Svadilfari with a snap of fingers. Taemin lifts his gaze to the sky, reminiscing on Namyrur Kingdom's flourishing time portrayed in his dreams before it turns into a nightmare of warfare, fire and death.

Taemin sighs. He decides to head back to the castle. Minho is probably looking around for his head to chop and show to his royal friends, saying things like 'This one here punched me!'

Taemin crosses the square and walks up the North Street that leads to the castle gate. He idly looks around, from neighbouring houses flower pots to the bakery shop that offers freshly baked baguettes outside for one shilling. Right across the shop is a larger building, its stone lighter in colour and of newer quality, signifying recent construction. Taemin fleetingly wonders what's inside until he passes by and sees neatly arranged tall shelves of books from the windows. He knows there's a library inside the castle too so this is probably a new one.

However, Taemin halts his steps when he looks closely. His eyes spot Tomas inside, sitting on a table alone. Tomas surrounds himself with leather books, inspecting one particular opened book with a piece of yellowing paper in his hand while he turns the pages with the other. Taemin found himself drawn to the old paper piece he is holding. He focuses his gaze, attempting to assess the fading illustrations.

Then it struck him. The familiar outline and the midnight blue hue of the illustration is undoubtedly the flag of Namyrur Kingdom, four circles of element entwined by leafy vine that unites in the middle. Taemin doesn't know where Tomas found it but it is definitely not good news.

Unexpectedly, Tomas lifts his gaze up, as if sensing eyes on himself and meets Taemin's gaze. Taemin's heart quickens and fear surges inside him in that split second. He looks away and hurries his step to find Onew.

But suddenly a loud shriek booms the street. He turns around, searching for the source of frightened murmurs and whispers of citizens. His eyes grow wider at the sight of a dying rider saddled on his horse, trotting up the silent street towards the gate. Streaked, Taemin follows the bleeding man into the castle.

The rider surprised everyone inside but the guards hurry to his help and pull him down from his mount. Knights from nearby bout grounds bolt to him, alongside Kai. Taemin watches as the panicking young prince holds the man to his chest, the soldiers surrounding him.

"Who did this to you?!" He asks worriedly. The rider struggles to speak and his body shivers in pain.

"The... the mountain bandits.." The rider barely narrates. "They have co-come.... and.. besieged the... East-Alben village... They ki-killed.." The rider coughs up blood and it drips down his chin like running tap. Kai's stricken face soon morphs into resolvement.

"Get my horse!" He orders one of the Knights that nods before scurrying away. He turns to another. "Call for the Royal Physician! See to it that this man is treated! And someone send word to the King!" Kai issues. He carefully lay down the injured man when he sees the guard return with his mount. A leather quiver loaded with arrows is buckled to the horse's saddle and a bow is hanged loosely on its end. He takes the reins and climb upon the brown saddle, taking the bow in his other hand as he did so.

"I'll be out to survey the bandits."

"Sire, that is too risky!" One of his man spouts.

"I've done this countless times. Need not worry for me." The Knight couldn't persuade him otherwise as Kai kicks his horse and it rushes out the castle gate in a frenzied run. Taemin watches as Kai disappears from his sight.

He turns around to find the Knights already carrying the rider under the orders of the Physician that had hurried out. Taemin sprints to catch up to them, hoping he could be of some help. They bring him to the empty infirmary and carefully lay him down on an examination table. Taemin peers inside from the window, his eyes fixated on the Rider's stomach wound. The Physician asks one of the Knights to get some water and shoo the rest out.

He tears open the Rider's cloth and grabs one of the gauze neatly arranged on a nearby sidetable. Taemin winces when the Rider let out a sharp, pained yell when the Physician presses the thin clothing on the wound to stop the bleeding that rapidly colourise the white material to a deep red. By the third blood-dampened gauze, the earlier Knight returns with a bucket of water. The Physician hurriedly cleans the wound as the Rider's laboured breathing begins to turn faint.

"How is he?" The Knight inquires, his face bearing the sign of worry for his comrade. The wound appears more visible as soon as a bowl of water is poured gently on the sensitive skin. The rider twitches in silent pain as precious blood continues to flow out his weakened body. The Physician's eyes focuses on the cut, his expression grim.

"A sword stab. Too deep..." He shakes his head. "I fear he will suffer. He may not hold." The Physician states to the Knight's dismay.

The Physician asks the Knight to leave and continue his duty for his presence isn't needed in the infirmary. The Knight complies, knowing the wise man has his rights. Taemin stays put behind the window, watching intently as the Physician applies an herbal concoction to disinfect the wound. The Rider grunts in pain as sweat beads roll down his temple, too tired to complain or resist. The Physician gets a small kit on a shelf and begins to sew the wound. As soon as he finishes sewing and dressing the wounded Rider with bandages, a guard comes by.

“The Prince needs you, Sir.” The Guard says. Taemin thanks the God and thanks Minho. For an overbearing Prince, he does the precise thing sometimes.

“I’ll be there in a minute.” The Physician answers. He walks to his shelf to grab his medicine sack and shoves in a couple of new bottled potions before he leaves, closing the infirmary door behind him. Taemin climbs in from the window, feeling glad for once that he has slim curves and a flexible body.

Taemin approaches the man on the table. He is fighting to stay awake, falling in and out of consciousness, assuming that if he blacks out, he’ll never wake up from his slumber again. Taemin gently closes the Rider’s eyes using his palm, bending down to whisper to the man’s ear.

“Do not worry. Have some rest.” Taemin cooed. “Sleep.” He whispers and quickly, the Rider loosen up, willing to relax himself and even out his breathing. Then, he stops trembling; his body goes limp and falls asleep. Taemin reaches down his palm to the bandaged wound on the man’s stomach. Blood red stains a circle spot on the bandage.

“Marr fro in nuwh.” Taemin says soothingly. In present language it meant ‘You are too young to die.’

“Fe ec artur.” He adds. ‘Be strong.’

Taemin possesses no such power that heals a dying man. But his Kingdom’s language has a beneficial consequence if used by those with great innate ability. His folk and brethren believed that through words, one’s will can be strengthened or bent. The language died among many today, its virtue unharnessed. But perhaps there’s still hope. Taemin holds his faith in his power. It’s not much to offer, but at least he tried.

Taemin leaves the infirmary by the front door, glancing sideways to see if anyone is looking. Instead, his eyes catch the sight of Tomas Elyot marching into the castle, a book tucked under his right arm and his black coat trailing behind him. Taemin’s heart lunges in surprise but he quickly regains his composure and decides to tag along.

It isn’t an easy task to stalk silently. The Royal Commissioner is an alert man and twice he glanced behind as if sensing a looming existence tailing him. Taemin plays it safe by picking up a large vase along the way to cover his face. When Tomas strides upstairs, Taemin’s steps come to a halt as a group of servants pass by. Taemin watches with panic as distance grows between him and Tomas. As soon as they lapse, the young warlock resumes his steps hurriedly towards the stairs. Before he climbs up, he notices a familiar brown head from the hall to the left, talking to a few Knights. His heart quickens.

“Five hells.” He mutters to himself as he sprints up the stairs before Minho sees him instead.

The corridor seems a little dusty here and unlike the other halls, not many come to pass. The windows are left open and pools of warm sunlight stream onto the stone cold floor. Taemin grasps a glimpse of Tomas’s black coat as it disappears on the second door from where he stood. He puts down the vase he was holding next to the stairs and tiptoes quietly to the door.

The inside located rows of dark-wooden shelves, thickly coated with dust and old webs. Long forgotten books of ancient writings lined chronologically on each shelves, reaching further into the room as far as Taemin’s eyes can see. Two clay urns are filled with yellowing scrolls of many sizes and on the wall behind the reception desk displayed a large map of the whole Kingdom. That only desk is full of books piling one another and the old reception lady closes the manuscript she had in hand and puts down her quilt to greet Tomas.

“I expected to see you in the morning. Where have you been?” She inquires, smiling pleasantly. Taemin figures he’s an old friend of her.

“Forgive me, Elinor. An acquaintance of mine dropped by at the City. I went to retrieve the item he fetched for me.” Tomas says, flipping open the book he had to a particular page, revealing the piece of paper he had in hand earlier. Taemin squirms at the sight.

“Oh is this the banner of Namyrur?” She scans the paper decisively. “It’s beautiful.”

“I tried to figure it out. The new library didn’t have records on it.”

“Hmph, I wouldn’t bother to go there. Romance and poetry works are all Heather had featured. For grief, I tell you. And she was such a good assistant too!” Elinor fumes.

“I figured as much, but then again I’m having quite a struggle in figuring this Kingdom out. Knowledge on them is like soot. They are there but you can never seem to catch them no matter where you look. I got to take every chance.”

“Oh Tomas, you never change.” Elinor says. They share a brief smile.

“So, the task at hand, what have you whisked for me?” Tomas hints, his face bearing interest.

“Not much, I’m afraid. But if you’re willing, I have something to show you in the record room.”

“By all means.” Tomas quickly agrees and Elinor leads him further into the library, towards the said room.

Once they are distant enough, Taemin creeps in. He skulks towards them, ready to eavesdrop on Elinor’s findings about Namyrur Kingdom. However, his steps delay as he passes by each shelf. Oddly beautiful and peculiar paintings decorate the walls between the shelves and Taemin found himself drawn to study them, his mouth slightly agape.

As he walks pass the fourth shelf, Taemin gazes into a painting that illustrates a very old man cradling a baby in one hand and the other, pointing his forefinger up to the highest row of books on the fifth shelf. Tears are painted at the corner of his eyes and his expression shows nothing but pure hope and despair. At one glance, his tears seemed to gleam alive and Taemin ceases his steps to chance another look. He reckons it his eyes playing in the light, and his sight wanders to where the painted old man pointed.

There, sited a thick book bounded with a faded brown leather. The book among it are slithered with dust yet this one collected none and there is no name engraved on its side. It immediately seizes Taemin’s interest. He glances once to where Tomas went. His heart toughens and opt the appealing book instead.

Taemin comes within reach of the curious book and grabs it carefully. He feels a tingle in his palms that creeps to the back of his neck as the elderly book rests upon his hands and his heart tugs in thrill. He unclasps the brass locks and flips open the book.

‘ RE WYRIN ISOL ‘ is boldly sketched on the first page. Taemin’s eyes grow wider at the words, recognizing his mother language. It translates to; ‘THE BOOK OF SPELL‘

His breathing fastens as his heart quickens in both exhilaration and anxiety. In the softening daylight, Taemin turns over the pages as if the parchments are fragile leaves and his eyes scan the phrases with disbelieve.

What is a book like this doing here? Taemin thought. Then, his hand stops at a page as if a hollow presence within him has been looking for it. The young warlock reads the old words with concentration.

‘Give your sincere vow and promise the lives of which you hath chosen for the Dead Land and its Deity. Upon your own hands that promises a life for Him, must the cursed blood spill on. Otherwise, He will come for you instead when your Time withers. Fret not for betrayal as the Deity is as absolute as the sky spans over your Lord’s head.’

Below the vindication, written the vow that Taemin and Onew had engraved in their minds.

“The child will see it done...” He mutters to himself.

Taemin understands completely now. His Father bestowed immortality on both him and his guardian, Onew hence the Deity of the Dead Land can’t welcome them until the promise is accomplished. Moreover, Taemin now knows that Nairn Kingdom will have to perish under his responsibility and no one else. That is the vow and the Deity will have none of it tarnished or disregarded.

Which brought Taemin’s mind to another notion. The book has made it clear for him. If he wants to see the promise done by killing Minho, he will have to make sure no one else does before him. He groans inwardly. Taemin is more than grateful that he found the book before anything worse happens, but this makes it harder because he now knows he can’t leave Minho to die by himself. He’ll have to protect him until time dawns on his chance to kill the Prince himself.

Taemin wants to stay and read more but he hears the conversation between Elinor and Tomas drifting nearer. Panicked, Taemin closes the book and quickly puts it back. His better judgement tells him to retrieve it but he doesn’t want to alarm the two older people about the book’s presence. He feels the last tingle on his fingers as they leave the brown leather. Taemin is determined to return and sneak the book to safety.

Taemin was ready to sprint out the library but he comes frontal with Tomas and Elinor who gaze upon him with both surprise and wonder.

“My, what are you doing here child? Are you looking for something?” Elinor asks. Tomas’s stare on Taemin is unwavering and he fidgets in dread. He feels raw and vulnerable, like an open book, as if one look from the older man can uncover a hundred years of secret he upheld.

“No. Um.” Taemin fumbles for words. “Excuse me. I have the Prince waiting.” He mumbles before he is questioned and swiftly makes his way out the library, down the stairs and across the hallway. He glances behind to see if anyone is following before he let out a deep sigh when finding none.

“Ugh.. How do I sneak it out?” Taemin grumbles to himself, leaning sluggishly on the wall. He will have to find a way to deal with Tomas, Elinor and ultimately the Prince Minho. He rests his head on the window frame, attaining a newfound ache from all the hard obstacles he’s facing and sighs again.

Taemin tosses his gaze out the window, surveying idly on an eagle on flight in the sky before his eyes drops to the castle grounds. He snaps up as he sees a familiar man rides pass the big gate.

Kai has return. This time, he bears tidings.

 

~o~

 

Thereafter, the court is summoned. Several Knights, the Physician, two Royal Advisors, men of the Counsel and a few servants are present, filling the left and right flanks of the throne seat, where King Changmin rests on. Quiet chatters fill the dull room. Taemin stands near Minho, who glared at him when he arrived. Servants of the Royal Household are customarily part of the court and when their Masters are called, they are to abide the calling as well. Thus, the young warlock is sought here.

“We’ll have to talk, Taemin.” Minho whispers as he crosses his arms, resent obvious in his low voice. “Don’t ever assume you’ll get away from me.” Taemin grits his teeth.

“Trust me, you’ll want me to. There’s a lot more in me than you expects.” He retorts, careful not to let anyone else hear. Minho sniggers a little.

“I expected to see my bearer act like a bearer and he turns out to be a real clotpole. Care to enlighten me more?” Minho teases. Taemin ignores the Prince and the lighted torch of irritation in his heart as his eyes wavers to Onew, who stands quietly beside the King, hands clasp to his back and expression stern. Onew never fails to capture his respect. In contrary, he holds nay a faintest gem of admiration for Minho and that will serve well. The Prince is to die in his hands after all.

Presently, Kai strides through the open door and stands in the middle of attraction. He had took off his gloves and held it in one hand and the other hand on his hip. The court immediately quietens.

“What news, Jongin?” The King inquires.

“East-Alben is not fallen. The village is held captive by the bandits. They came down from the mountains in the cover of the night when they learnt news of Lord Junsu’s death.” Kai explains, naturally surprising everyone.

“Whom did they heard this from?” The King asks further. Kai’s lips pull into a grim line.

“Source is unknown, Your Highness.” He replies. “I rode up the Glen and went around the back hills to observe. They comprised of about a hundred and half brutes. All are seasoned and armoured.”

“Hrm, not nearly as much as we faced before.” King Changmin utters, rubbing his chin as his left elbow rests on the arm of his tall seat. “Who is leading them?”

“A man named Tabard.” Kai answers. Then, with a more soothing tone, he imparts; “People are frightened, Your Highness. They are begging for help. None of those farmers and cobblers can match with Tabard’s men. I saw them cower in defeat and misery as the day dwindles. They may be marching to a neighbouring village as we speak.”

“I’m well aware of that. The bandits have the courage of a hen. They’ll never stay away from the villages but they’ll never come for a fair duel within castle walls.” The King expresses, maddened.

“Very well. Minho.” He calls and his eldest son walks to stand next to Kai and bows slightly, eyes meeting his. “Ride with your Knights to meet them. Take Tabard in imprisonment, his acts are treason. When will you be ready?”

“One, two hours max.” Minho responds, earning a nod from the King.

“Jongin, gather a unit of archery. I want you to ride up the Glen again and wait by the forest. Hold fire unless reinforcements are needed.”

“Right away, Your Highness.” He bows. When none dared questioned the King’s wise decree or question his authority, the herald by the door announces the court dismissal immediately. Onew’s eyes follow Taemin who walks out the door. The mahogany door closes right after the last member ambles out.

The Knights claim Minho’s attention and they confer with him as they move urgently through the hall. Taemin catches the Prince’s eyes for a brief moment and knows he has to follows suit, but he glances to Kai instead who was about to pace the opposite hall.

“Kai.” He calls nonchalantly. The sounds of the taller man’s boots die down and he turns around to meet Taemin in the eyes.

“Taemin. What’s the matter?” He asks, pacing nearer. The young warlock let a soft smile graces his lips.

“Are you still upset?” He asks and Kai’s gaze drops to the floor, letting out a sigh.

“Is it that obvious?”

“Let me see, not that obvious than a certain Master Jongin that provided me a lodge the night before, feigning innocence when I mentioned it during the banquet.” Taemin states wittily and Kai chuckles a little.

Kai had been dispirited today, mostly because no one really cared that Lord Junsu is gone now. He always saw the Lord as a figure to admire, to respect and to aspire for. It hurts Kai to see him forgotten so effortlessly. But it didn't dawn on him that Taemin would kindly notice his downcast enthusiasm.

“I’m sorry.” He mutters.

“No, I should say thank you instead.” Taemin speaks. “Thank you, Kai.” A smile spreads on Kai’s lips.

“You’re welcome.” They share a tender look at one another for a moment, a small spark of happiness playing in Kai’s gut. Then, reminded at the task he had in hand, Taemin excuses himself.

“Your brother’s probably looking for me.” He says and began stepping back.

“Oh. Um.” Kai his dry lips. “Send my regards to him. Tell him, good luck.” Taemin nods twice at him before turning his heels.

“Oh yeah, one more thing.” Taemin turns to find Kai, still rigid in earlier position. “Minho probably hasn’t told you. But, he cares for you a lot more than you think.” Taemin gives away cheerily, surprising the lad. He turns around and hastens his steps towards the Prince’s side.

Kai stares at Taemin’s figure growing further, the boy’s golden braid bouncing on his back. He let a small smile adorn his lips. “Thank you, Taemin.”

 

~o~

 

Taemin flings open the door to Minho’s room; the loud sound echoes around the vast room and surprises Minho by his bed. The young warlock scurries to his side.

“Sorry I’m late!” Taemin says breathlessly. Minho flicks his forehead. “Ow!” He hisses in pain and covers his temple. He supposes this is a small payback for the punch he gave to Minho’s now slightly bruising lip.

That’s it?” Taemin asks, earning a questioning look from Minho. “I mean, I punched you.”

“You needn’t remind me of that.” Minho exclaims as he turns around to grab his armour placed on his bed and hands it over to Taemin who grunts as the heavy piece weigh him down. “Here. You’re coming with me.” Minho declares.

“What?” Taemin asks in doubt.

“You heard me. I’m bringing you along to East-Alben.” Minho simply repeats, his eyes boring into Taemin’s with complete frankness.

“Why should I?! I have no skills in a battlefield!” The young warlock argues.

“Exactly why. Tis your punishment. Perhaps, next time, you’ll reconsider before you decide to punch your future monarch.” Minho replies to Taemin’s dismay. The Prince walks away from him, leaving him still gaping over the absurd idea.

“Wait, Minho! What do I do with these?” Taemin solicit, gesturing the heavy armour in his arms. Minho turns around smugly.

“Polish it, idiot.”

 

~o~

 

A few hours later, Taemin found himself riding beside the insufferable Prince along the grassless path of a green field. The Knights of Nairn follow behind closely, the sound of their armours and the horses’ shoes thumping the ground making a tune of battle march.

Taemin doesn’t want to admit it, but he does feel a little uncertain and nervous for the battle that will ensue. Apart than that, he’s quite grateful for the ride because Alastor needed an exercise. The day is a little bit cloudy, to Taemin’s taste and the wind blows gently to his face. But it still isn’t enough to lift his spirit or remove the edge off of his curling toes.

Minho glances to his bearer’s direction. He heaves a sigh. “Don’t worry so much, Taemin. I don’t expect you to wield a sword. Nor will I leave you to die in the hands of the bandits. I’m much too chivalrous to do that just because of a pathetic punch.” He states, paying no heed to the offended look of Taemin.

“Why, that’s so kind of you. Tho I’m rather surprised that you’re not going to use me as a human shield. I thought that is the service I have to provide. I’m sure nothing less befits Your Mightiness.” Taemin replies sarcastically.

“Well, I’m sorry to break it to you but I don’t think I need one of skin and bones to be my shield. And definitely, not half my strength. But I could do with someone to look after the horses while the Knights and I battle. I don’t fancy walking back.” Minho says casually. Taemin’s inside twitch at his words.

“I told you. There’s a lot more in me than you expect. You shouldn't treat me like a frail maiden. I can fight as well as any man can.” Minho smiles to this.

“I’ll keep that in mind. But it’s a little waste if that ‘a lot more in you’ will be the last of you today. I’m sure you’ve never faced grubby foes like bandits before. I've been in your place. I know how nerve-wrecking it is to find yourself riding to a battle. The first time is always the hardest. I may have said this is your punishment but I never wish you to die. So heed my orders.” The Prince utters in a calm voice, eyes meeting Taemin’s surprised orbs and an amiable smile poised on his lips. A spark of awe and guilt surge within Taemin.

“Why would you care so much? I’m just your servant. You sacked the last one serving you because he couldn't dress armoury properly. And I’m pretty sure I’m no better.” Taemin claims, reminded of the earlier bickering they had when he tried to put the garbs correctly.

“Father did ask me to settle with you.” Minho gives Taemin a long, profound look. “I gave him my word I would.” He tells. The Prince props his horse to a faster trot, leaving Taemin behind to gawk on his reason.

You never wish me to die and you haven’t fire me because you want to keep your word? The young warlock reflects in an inner turmoil. He tries to collect himself and let out a sigh. Why would he hesitate? He can’t afford to hesitate. Everything comes down to him. Minho’s words should not affect him. Those words are not genuine.

In next to no time, they arrive to an abandoned post and the East-Alben village is distinguishable in the North. Minho climbs down from his horse and his men follow him.

“We’ll walk from here! I want sixty of you march through the forest quietly and set up an ambush! The rest, stick with me!” Minho shouts to the soldiers. He glances to his manservant. “Stay here, Taemin.” He expects the boy to argues, like every little thing he does before. But Taemin keeps his lips shut; a gleam of approval in his eyes and gives a curt nod at Minho. He gives the boy one sceptical glance, but decides it’s a waste of time.

Halfway there, Minho spares another glance and turns around to find the boy. Taemin is patting his horse’s head gently and the mount seems content to his actions. His golden hair shines below the Sun’s luminosity and his fair skin stood out amongst the blurred surroundings. It never occurred to the Prince that a mere servant could look so disconcertingly eye-catching. He shrugs it off and continues his march.

Taemin glimpses to Minho’s back. “Good luck, My Lord.” He smirks cynically.

 

~o~

 

Meanwhile, upon the hill, awaited Kai and his unit. He watches over his brother, fast approaching the enemy lines alongside his Knights. Tabard makes his way in front to greet the Prince, his grimy appearance draws a distinction with Minho’s fine armour. They exchange a few words. Kai raises his hand in air, signalling his unit to load their arrows and hold.

Shortly, the Nairn people and the bandits clash in a rage fight. From afar, harsh grunting and sword spars heave up. Kai’s eyes follow his brother’s swift and proficient movements, making sure no harm come to him from an unexpected side.

But then, at the corner of his eyes, he spots a thin body and recognizable golden hair wading carefully among the men. He avoids attacks blown to him with hesitant but flexible reflexes and deal tricky blows like pricking fingers to eyes, sharp slaps to reddening cheeks, stepping on toes with a jump and feeble kicks to crotches.

Kai tilts his head in confusion. “Taemin?”

 

~o~

 

Taemin runs as fast as he can, getting out of a mob of bandits that tried to damage him. Brown dusts fill the air, raised from feet glides of the men. The deafening holler and metal clanks quickens Taemin’s heart and flusters his nerves. He looks around for the Prince as defeated bodies began to drop to the ground.

There, locking swords with Tabard himself is Minho. Taemin makes his way to his superior hurriedly. When he sees that Tabard’s henchman is about to harm Minho’s vulnerable back with a mace, Taemin stops his steps with alarm.

“Mirdhtheat!!” He spells furiously and the man is tossed fiercely to a tree on his back. “No one kills him other than me!!” Taemin shouts in the air, which got Minho whirling about to glimpse at him.

“What the- Taemin?!!” He yells and Taemin stops his cry of victory. The Prince pushes Tabard away. “What the hell are you doing here?!!” Minho asks, stomping angrily towards the young warlock as he waves his sword to defend.

“You didn’t seriously expect me to stay there, did you?!” Taemin replies. I mean, I need to kill you, Taemin silenced in his mind. Minho’s jaw drops in disbelieve.

“Really, Taemin?! Your stubborn little head couldn’t tell apart between noble commands and vile ones?! I asked you to stay there because it’s safe! Not strutting here, barely surviving attacks!!” Minho scolds while Taemin tries to focus his mind on grasping a sword lying on the ground behind the Prince to stab him without breaking eye contact.

“Who says I’m barely surviving?! I said I could fight! And I will do so at the risk of my own life!” Taemin replies. Minho wants to argue again but instead, he pulls his surprised servant to his chest when he saw a sword was raised to split Taemin in two. The sword hits the ground in his place and Minho stabs the man, who grunts in pain before heaving his last breath. Taemin’s eyes widen in astonishment. He looks up to Minho again.

“You saved me.” He murmurs, still rendered in surprise. “W-Why?” Minho gazes at him with slight fume, but there’s sincerity behind those deer eyes.

“I told you. I gave my word.” He says, and then loosens his grip on Taemin. The young warlock felt safety wane a little. Tho still somehow caught out, Taemin notices Tabard fast approaching Minho’s back.

“Look out!” He pulls the Prince away from the dangerous margin. Tabard’s attack misses. But he hadn’t a chance to recuperate as a fast arrow pierces his left abdomen from behind.

Minho and Taemin stares at the wounded man, now in pain on the soil, with Taemin still gripping on Minho’s wrist. The Prince’s gaze snaps up to the hills, searching for a glimpse of his treasured brother, but finding him well-hidden amongst sea of trees. “Jongin..” He breathes out a sigh of gladness.

The fellow bandits, realizing that their leader is fallen before the Nairn Prince’s feet, began to lose hope, drop weapons and flee from the scene. Awaiting them within the forest is none other than Minho’s ambush unit. Minho has took a measure to make sure safety is preserved for an extensive period, and judging by the bandits poor recruit, they are less likely to rise again. The Knights raise victory shouts.

Taemin glances down, and quickly retracts his hand from Minho’s wrist. The taller man seizes his hand instead, towering over the young warlock in close proximity. “You listen, and you listen carefully. As long as you are serving me, you share your life with me. I forbid you to risk your life on your own and if I want to keep you from harm, you will yield to my word.” Minho enunciates and Taemin just couldn’t tear his eyes in defy. “Now is that understood?”

Taemin gulps down. “Yes.” He murmurs quietly. The Prince backs away and began shouting orders to restrain Tabard and check for survivors. Taemin let out a sigh. Then he shoots a glare at Minho’s direction. “Insufferable.” He mumbles to himself.

Before long, they are all riding back to the Castle as the sun began to set and the sky changes from a grey blanket to a softer amethyst dye. When they arrive at the City’s arch, Minho instructs his men to continue their ride towards the castle with Tabard. He dismounts his horse and Taemin adhere to his wish to walk up the local streets as the young warlock pulls the reins of their horses.

Taemin observes how Minho greets his people and how people politely wave and bow back at him, their eyes evident with admiration. They see their Crowned Prince got the makings of a great King. Taemin found himself denying that, tho his heart at times agrees. It occurred to him that Minho is an obnoxious Prince at his first glance. His good impression once lost is lost forever. And he hopes it stays that way.

Once they reach the castle gate, they found Kai waiting for them. Taemin chances a quick glance to Minho, who his dry lips in falter.

“Welcome back, brother.” Kai says. “And Taemin.” He flashes a small smile to which Taemin promptly replies. Minho caught that small moment.

“I believe I have to thank you, Jongin. For saving my life.” Minho utters.

“Oh. No, please, I think Taemin deserves it more. Hadn’t he pull you away from Tabard, you could have got hurt.” Kai replies, gesturing to the boy who shows both surprise and joy. Minho sniggers.

“I saved him beforehand.” Minho and Taemin locks gaze. “We’re even.”

“Yes. Definitely.” Taemin goes along with, careful not to grit teeth at the taller man.

“The Court is waiting for you.” Kai informs. “You should hurry on.”

“Sure.” Minho agrees, expecting his bearer to follow suit but finding him hesitating. Kai takes the horses reins from Taemin’s hands.

“I’ll take care of the horses. He’s the only ride you have, right? Hurry along the Prince.” He offers and Taemin is glad for once that there is some decent royal around. He smiles gratefully.

“Thank you, Kai.” He cheerily says and stride towards Minho’s heels.

“You’re close with Jongin?” Minho asks, feeling oddly wary of their relationships as they walk towards the Throne room.

“Well, better than any other nobles here.” Taemin replies. Minho knows it’s strange to ask further, so he keeps his mouth shut. He reassures himself that the reason behind his suspicion is only because Taemin is his bearer and he is supposed to be devoted and close to him. There’s nothing special or unfathomable. He rests his case.

When the door to Throne room opens, Minho is instantly welcomed and congratulated by the counsel and the King. Taemin watches as he displays a grateful smile and confer with the people who gather around him. Then, Taemin’s eyes waver to someone else standing nearby the King; Tomas Elyot. What’s more, Elinor is beside him.

The young warlock steps back and eventually leaves the room, leaving behind the citizens of Nairn Kingdom that are unaware of Taemin’s existence. He hurries to the old library and acquires the book of spell. The tingle returns to his hand and Taemin’s heart electrifies at the mere thought of the future foreseen by the great mages of Namyrur. Taemin’s thought wonders to Minho, and he grins.

“The child will see it done.” He vows once again, rekindling his fervour.








~o~

A/N: Hey guys. I put up a long chapter to make up for the late update. Hope you guys like it. ^^
I'm planning to introduce a woman very dear to Minho in the next chap. I'll leave you guys to wonder who she is because I'm a cruel author after all. :p