t w o - final

Indelible Tears

 

Having her as my sister wasn’t really a bad idea. It was what he thought back then. But time goes by, they had grown up together. People changed, feelings changed. He was afraid of it the most.

“Amber! Come and play with me!” Kibum waved his hand on the air. He came to approached Amber who was busy with her painting. “What did you draw?” he asked and took a look at her draw.

“It’s none of your business. Just continue playing and don’t bother me,” she said as she continued painting on her canvas. It was beautifully drawn. It felt like she had captured the baseball field and printed it there.

“Such a beautiful draw,” he complimented her artwork, as always.

“Thanks,” was all she could reply.

After years, her parents thought that she still couldn’t accept Kibum yet. It wasn’t like that. Even though her guiltiness toward him grew bigger, she just couldn’t let herself fall for him deeper.

“Ah!” she screamed as she felt something hit her head. It was his friends. They hit her with a ball. “Sorry! I didn’t mean to! It wasn’t on purpose!” one of them shouted from afar, didn’t dare to get near to her.

Amber said nothing and left the field with the canvas, brush and watercolor that she held.

 

He was also her protector. Because of obligation as the reason or no, he had to protect her. He was willing to do so.

“Hey freak.”

Junior High years were nightmares to Amber. The bullies of her new school would go after her because of her step-brother, Kibum.

The bully smirked. “Look at us,” she commanded. Amber stared at her shoes, didn’t want to argue with them. She was tired enough with their games.

“Ah… Our little Amber is getting afraid…” one of the bullies smirked. Amber raised her head and curved her lips into a smirked. “Who is afraid of whom?”

Nicole is her name. She pulled Amber’s hair to the left side. “Isn’t that hurt?” she asked.

“Unfortunately, I’m not that weak,” Amber answered. Yes, she wasn’t.

Nicole got irritate and was about to slap her. Amber’s reflex wasn’t fast enough so she closed her eyes immediately. She was waiting for the dirty hand to land on her cheek, but there was none of slaps that she received. Kibum was there to stop it.

“Don’t,” he said straightly. There was anger in his tone but he held it. He couldn’t just clench his fist and punch her on the face. She was still a girl.

“I-I-“

Nicole had a crush on him. She couldn’t ruin her image in front of him just like that.

“When I say don’t… just don’t.”

 

The more sweet treats he did, the more her feelings grew stronger. If she was given one wish, she would wish that she could turn back the time and let herself died with her parents, instead of met with her so-called older brother.

 “Amber! Let’s go with me! I have something for you,” Kibum said with a smile plastered on his face.

He linked his arm to her and dragged her to find out about his surprise. “Where are we going?”

He smiled upon hearing her voice. At least, she didn’t reject his invitation. She noticed that he was bringing her to a familiar place. It was the place that they used to play together when they were a little.

“I’ve missed this place,” she mumbled as they arrived at their destination. Kibum smiled. She remembered.

He told her to lie down, so she did. They were both lying next to each other, looking at the horizon. The sheep shaped clouds started to move and made a line. Amber chuckled. God’s creations are perfect. Especially him. Flawless. She smiled to herself unknowingly.

How could he miss it? ‘She was chuckling. Amber was chuckling,’ he said in his mind.

Later on, the sky started getting dark. Amber shivered. It was a cold night, she thought. Kibum covered her body with his coat. He brought one, for her.

“Seriously Kibum. What the hell are we doing-“

 

Firework.

 

She heard the bang of firework. She turned her gaze to the dark sky.

 

Happy Birthday, Amber!

 

It was written on the empyrean, with the stars as the glitters. Her heart began to race. She wet her cheek with the tears flowing down.

But he was there to wipe it away.

His lips that he just pressed on her cheek had removed the tears successfully. “Happy birthday,” It was what he said. He pecked her once again and ran away.

Amber was still speechless. She stayed on her spot without moving. “Amber Josephine Liu, I’ve baked a cake for you,” Key came back after running away.

 

So, he just took the cake that he baked, not running away.

 

Kibum started to cut the cake. He cut one slice and put it on the small plate. “Open your mouth. Oppa is going to feed you,” Kibum placed the cake in front of her face. He smiled. It was his purest smile.

Amber bit the cake unsure. It wasn’t like he was the worst in cooking. He is even the best. She was just speechless.

“Does it taste good?”

Amber swallowed it and nodded her head softly. That smile appeared again. She was glad that he always wanted to smile to her even though she only replied him with her cold stare.

“T-Thanks,” she stuttered. Her voice wasn’t as deep as usual. It was the sweet one.

 

They cleaned the plates, forks and the knife that he used to cut the cake. They let themselves enjoyed the night under the dark sky.

“Amber…” he called.

“What is it… oppa?”

 

For the first time, she called him oppa.

 

“I have a wish and you’ve to fulfill it,” he said under his breath.

 

Her heart felt like stop beating at the moment. It felt like he was going to tell something that she didn’t want to hear.

 

“When I die, don’t come near my body, because I may not be able to wipe your tears anymore.”

Amber’s mind wasn’t there at the moment he said it. She started to think further. What does he mean?

“What are you trying to say?” Amber asked bravely.

“Never mind. Let’s just go home, shall we? Mom and dad are waiting for us,” Kibum held her hand tightly and led her to their house. Jessica and Sunggyu were in the living room, with a medium-sized of chocolate cake.

“Amber! Kibum! Where were you going?” Jessica asked in panic as she saw them entered the house. Kibum smiled. “We were celebrating her birthday. And mom, I’ll go and rest first,” Kibum said and stared into Jessica’s eyes. Jessica nodded as she knew what he meant.

“So Amber, happy birthday! My daughter has grown up,” Jessica said and clapped her hands proudly while Sunggyu gave Amber a hug.

“Be a good girl, smart and success in the future. Always love your family,” Sunggyu patted her head. He was proud of her. Even though Amber was happy because of her parents, her heart still felt uneasy. Was it because of Kibum’s words?

Amber tried her best to look happy during her birthday celebration with her parents. But her mind wasn’t there. She wanted to ask them but she was just too afraid to face the truth.

“Mom, dad…” she took a deep breath before she started. “What is it, sweetie?”

“Never mind,” Amber decided to keep shut. “Mom, dad, I will sleep first. It’s so late and I’m kind of tired today,” Amber reasoned. Jessica and Sunggyu agreed and let her to go to her room since she had school the next day.

Amber went upstairs to her room. She opened the door and stepped in slowly before she closed it again. She threw herself on the bed and staring at the ceiling.

Her breath was really heavy. She couldn’t control it. Her heart was going to stop anytime soon. “What is this feeling? Why am I so nervous?” she thought.

“I bet he just said it randomly.”

 

Next week was Christmas. The day that Amber hated the most. Christmas just reminded her of her mom and dad’s death. “Why did they leave me?”

No one is going to answer that question. She felt stupid for asking that question the whole times. “Mom, dad, I hope you are okay,” Amber whispered.

Amber walked to Kibum’s room. She knocked on the door and called him for dinner. Kibum answered shortly and went downstairs with her.

“Do you have any plans for Christmas?” Jessica started.

“No. How about Amber and Kibum?” Sunggyu asked. Kibum shook his head and Amber really didn’t want to celebrate Christmas.

“Mom, have you prepared my clothes?” Kibum suddenly asked. Amber gasped but she didn’t show it. Where is he going?

“Yeah. Just rest well. Your flight is at 9 in the morning,” Jessica said uneasy. Sunggyu sighed. Amber was the only one who didn’t know.

“Where are you going?” Amber asked, almost whispered to him.

“I’m just going with my friends for a vacation to Singapore,” Key smiled. He assured her that it was just a vacation. “Like I care,” Amber muttered. She became a big liar.

Since that day, after his leaving, Amber hasn’t seen his face anymore. She was wondering. She has asked neither Jessica nor Sunggyu but they said Kibum was on vacation.

1 month for vacation? She thought.

She decided to meet his closest friend. I hope he isn’t going to tell something bad.

“To tell you the truth, Kibum isn’t going for a vacation. He is having a treatment from a doctor in Singapore.”

The moment Jonghyun mentioned ‘treatment’, the timed had stopped. Her face got darkened.

“He got cancer,” Jonghyun said softly. Kibum had mentioned to him about his sister and not to tell her anything about his illness, not until he was gone.

“Why didn’t you tell me since the first?” Amber asked with anger, but still as calm as the wind that blew them. “…I’m not allowed,” Jonghyun whispered.

Amber walked home. Her eyes were looking at the street blankly. Her body was shaken a bit with her heart couldn’t stop beating so fast. Her hands were trembling and she felt that her legs got weaken. But she still tried to stand still. She couldn’t be that weak.

She held back the tears. He had said his last wish and she have to fulfill it. At least, she could make him happy with it. ‘No crying, Amber,’ she thought and looked up to the sky. Her tears were indelible. No one will wipe it for her. He wasn’t there to do it.

“Mom, dad, Kibum oppa, you got to live happily in heaven.”

 


 

Hope you like the ending ._.