o n e

Indelible Tears

 

A little girl curled her body into a ball. She cried quietly yet her tears were overflow. She didn’t dare to scream. She didn’t dare to do so else she will make the situation worst. The cars started coming to the spot where there were many stains because of the blood. The two bodies were lying on the asphalt weakly. Their eyes were closed.

The little girl became the spotlight. Two men came to her to comfort but she didn’t care. Her tears kept on flowing, staring at the two people, lying lifelessly. “Mom… Dad…” she whispered between her sobs. One of the men looked at her with pitiful eyes.

“It’s going to be okay, dear. We will do our best to save your parents. Where do you live?” he asked and patted the back of the girl. Yet, the little girl didn’t give any respond. She wasn’t even moving at all.

“What if she didn’t remember her address?” the man earlier asked.

“We can always check her parents’ identities,” the other man answered. They nodded their head and did some checks up. “We have to drive her home,” they agreed and told the girl to followed them. Since she knew that they were polices, she had nothing to worry about.

She looked outside the window for the last time and dropped a tear. “Good bye mom, dad… Please live better…”

When they arrived at her house, she ran to her room directly and locked it. “What happened with that girl?” one of them muttered. “Hey don’t be like that. She’s just 10 and she just lost her parents.”

“By the way Sunggyu, I have to go now. Captain Lee is calling me. He told me to give this work to you,” the guy who had comforted the girl frowned.

“Yah Woohyun! Don’t leave me here!” But unfortunately, his teammate left already. “I guess I’ve to wait for the girl to come out first,” he mumbled and sat on the sofa.

Sunggyu took his phone and dialed his number. He called his wife to inform that he couldn’t come home that day. “I’m sorry Jess. I’ve to take care of this girl first. I’m afraid she doesn’t have any family members,” he said through the phone.

“It’s okay. I hope she will get better soon. Take care of her well!” and with that Jessica hung up. Sunggyu put his phone back into his pocket and went upstairs. He went in front of the door that the girl went in. He knocked slowly yet she would never reply. Sunggyu gave up and decided to wait for her in the morning.

Morning came and that girl woke up late that day. She rushed to her bathroom to take a quick shower, brushed her teeth also washed her face and hair. She went down to the kitchen and found a guy.

“What are you doing here, uncle?” she asked in English. Her accent was really good. It seemed that she’s American. Luckily, Sunggyu knew how to speak English so he smiled.

“I won’t leave you alone, little girl. What’s your name?” Sunggyu asked in English too. “Amber. Amber Josephine Liu,” she answered shortly.

“Okay Amber. I will accompany you to your school and fetch you later, okay?” Sunggyu ruffled her hair and gave her a slice of bread.

“You don’t have to,” Amber replied and took the bread. “But who are you going home with?” Sunggyu teased. Amber just remembered that her mom was gone yesterday so she didn’t speak anything.

“Okay. You’ve agreed. Let’s go now, shall we?”

 

As they arrived at her school, Amber went out of the car without a word. Everyone was staring at her. She just used her straight face and walked to the class. One by one, the classmate told her that they felt sorry to hear about the news. Amber didn’t want them to pity her. She was strong, she wasn’t weak at all. She could endure the pain, it was what she thought.

She got up and hit her table harshly and caught her friends’ attention. “I don’t need your freaking concern!” she shouted at them and ran out of the class. She skipped one period.

She didn’t know that there was someone following her. She curled her body again and hid under a table in the library. She heard someone’s footsteps. She didn’t care. She just let out her feelings there.

“Hey Amber…” a girl smiled at her but Amber ignored her.

“You know that all of us are worried about you?” It was Victoria, the class president.

“They don’t have to worry about me. I’m perfectly fine,” Amber said coldly.

“If you were fine, you wouldn’t cry,” Victoria smiled. Amber got annoyed with the president of her class. “Can’t you go away?” Amber might sound harsh but she really needed some times to be alone. “Don’t worry. I will leave you alone. But don’t blame them if they care about you. We are all friends like? You should be happy when there’s a person that still wants to care about you. And it’s not your weakness. Don’t be childish, okay?” was the speech that Victoria told her. With that, she left Amber under the table, in her deep thought.

 

Amber dragged her feet to go out of the school. She found the police earlier, waving to her. She approached him. “What?” she asked.

“Get in,” Sunggyu said and pointed at the car. Amber got in and sat next to him. “So, do you have any family members beside your parents?” Sunggyu started the interrogation.

“No. They are all in the States,” Amber answered blankly.

“Then you and I have no choice. You have to live with me and my family,” Sunggyu sighed. “What?” she wanted to make sure that she didn’t mishear it.

“No you don’t mishear it. You have to live with me. You can go back to your house when you are 18. You are still too young to live alone,” Sunggyu explained.

Amber really didn’t want to live alone. She had no choice but to agree.

“Alright. It’s settled,” Sunggyu smiled brightly and drove off.

 

They arrived at a house. It was designed in a classic way. It was big enough for them to live together. “Who are we going to live with?” Amber asked. Sunggyu held her hand and smiled. He led her to the house. The house wasn’t only good from outside. But everything was so neat and clean inside. She was amazed too.

“Jessica, I’m home with Amber,” Sunggyu called. 5 seconds later, a beautiful woman was entering the living room, with a plate of chocolate cookies and two glasses of orange juice.

“Hi! You must be Amber right? I’m Kim Jessica. You can call me umma if you want,” the woman smiled warmly to Amber. Amber could feel the smile. It was as warm as her mom’s

Without she realized, she mumbled, “Umma…”

“Ah! That’s good Amber! Now, you have to meet your older brother,” Jessica went upstairs and knocked on a door. There was a boy in his cap stood in front of her mom.

“What is it?” the boy asked.

“You’ve to meet your new sister,” Jessica said and dragged the boys downstairs. “Her name is Amber. From now on, she’s your little sister! Treat her well, okay?”

The boy nodded. He didn’t really like her existence honestly. “How old is she?” he whispered to her dad. “She’s 10. She’s just one year younger than you,” Sunggyu said.

He didn’t want to disappoint his parents by his attitude so he smiled. “Hi! I’m Kim Kibum! You can call me oppa!”