Under the Christmas Tree

Under the Christmas Tree

 

24th of December 2040, Seoul, South Korea

 

“Choi Ji Yong! Stop jumping around, please! Mommy needs to dress you,” I scholded my three-year old son who was like always, too jumpy to handle. “Ji Yong, Santa won’t bring you any toys if you’re not listening to mommy!” And as thought, the threat made him freeze on his tracks and return to my arms. “That’s my boy! Now let’s put on this nice clothes I bought for you. The car will be here soon,” I smiled at his frowning face as I pulled over his head the small, white shirt, preparing the black pants next.

“Mommy!” He called sweetly, making me go jelly as I picked him up in my arms. “Teddy, teddy!”

“Alright, alright!” I took the bownish teddy bear from the table and handed over to him. “Better?”

His face was priceless the moment he held tight the teddy bear to his face, rubbing his nose against the plushie. The honk outside drew my attention. It was time to go. I let Ji Yong down to take my fur coat and my purse from the couch. “Come, Ji Yong,” I stretched my hand to the little boy dressed fancy in a mini black suit. And hand in hand, we left the house and got in the black car.

Half an hour later, we entered the old building of the Minister of Defence. A lot of people dressed formal were already there, both men and women. I smiled at them and mind my own business. I had to find my seat in the conference hall.

Soon after everyone seated, the lights went off and the president appeared on the stage, causing everyone to clap. I followed asuit. President Lee Myung Bak started his speech, making everyone grow silent: “And we all gathered here tonight to praise those who have proved worthy in war, leading the army to victory without causing loss of lives, for those who gave their life out on the battlefield in hope that we will win. Which we did. So tonight, we’re here to thank them all and to repay for their great sacrifice and hard work!” And names were calles, men and women stepping on the stage to speak and/or to receive the medals offered by the presidend. “And now, I want you all to greed the man that made everything possible though his militar tactic and patience. Everyone, please welcome General Choi Seung Hyun!”

I clapped, watching amused how Ji Yong clapped as hard as he could.

Turning my attention back to the stage I saw how the president gave out the most valuable medal of South Korea, ‘The Dragon Medal’, to the man that was proudly wearing his green uniform.

“I have to thank to all those that fought alongside me on the battlefield and to those that aren’t here today as well,” the general began his speech. “They made this possible! And of course, I’ll dedicate this medal to all those who lost their life, but to my wife and son as well, for I couldn’t have won without their moral support! Thank you, Lina, Ji Yong!”

 

***

 

“How was I out there?” Seung Hyun asked as soon as we got in the car. It was already past midnight and Ji Yong was sleeping peacefully in my arms.

“You were great!” I leaned in to kiss his lips.

“I felt so nervous! I’m not made to speak in public at all!”

“Says the one that led an army,” I chuckled.

“Yah…” But the car stopped in front of our house, interrupting him. “Give Ji Yong to me!” He stretched his arms towards our son. And believe it or not, Ji Yong didn’t even move when I placed him in his father’s arms.

Once inside, we went up the stair to Ji Yong’s room and placed him in his bed after undressing him.

“He looks so much like you,” I whispered to Seung Hyun as we left the room.

“I don’t agree! He has so many of your features! You’re beautiful,” his hand suddenly caught mine, forcing me to fall into his arms.

“Y-yah…”

“What? Can’t I kiss my wife? Woman, I’m a man that has been to war! I haven’t felt a woman’s body next to mine for almost a year now! Do you’d better obey me tonight!” And he picked me up bridal style, carrying me to our bedroom.

“Obey?” I smirked as his hands began ping my dress. “You’ve got the wrong person, General Choi!” I rolled him over, causing him to fall on his back on the king sized bed. “I’m a general as well and I take no orders!”

I could see that he was trying his best to keep a straight face. “Yes, mam’!”

 

***

 

“Do you like it?” I asked Ji Yong when he looked at the huge teddy bear with sparkling eyes.

“I guess so,” Seung Hyun came from the kitchen just when Ji Yong jumped over the teddy’s tummy, giggling like a mad child. “Who’s that from?”

I turned to him with the small box in my hand. “Isn’t it from you?”

He shook his head. “Doesn’t it have any note attached to it?”

“Oh! Here it is!” I lifted it from the floor. After looking over the line wrote on it I passed it to my husband.

“Because I’m your best friend and you’re mine,” Seung Hyun read loudly. “Who is it?”

I smiled at the stained with blood bullet that was hanging on a silvery necklace. “Kwon Ji Yong…”

 

The End


 

At crappy as this might have seemed to you, I really, really liked this story! So don't judge it too harshly, alright? I'm still a bad author >///<

Comments are loved! Bye!