Chapter 1.

Alwɒyƨ On ᗡuƚy

Always on Duty

Chapter 1

The school bell rang and loud cheers could be heard coming out of the classrooms. Students screaming in glee, teachers smiling. Jang Hae Mi and her group of friends are grinning from ear to ear, feeling rather excited for the upcoming summer break.

"Hey Hae Mi, so what are you going to do this summer?" Nara, one of her friends asked.

Hae Mi thought for awhile. "Probably working, as usual. We'll see. What about you guys-"

Fangirl screams interrupted Hae Mi so suddenly. They turned their heads and their eyes focused on the culprit.

"Oh great. The jjangs." Hae Mi muttered, with sarcasm dripping in her every word.

Her friends on the other hand, are squealing and blushing at the boys who are walking across the hallway, smirking oh so heavenly.

"Aren't they handsome?" Chae Rin squealed.

Hae Mi took one look at them and muttered quietly to herself, "Well they are handsome but they are arrogant jerks."

Her eyes locked with one of the guys in the group and suddenly, she felt that she was being pulled by his intense gaze. The guy broke the eye contact and walked off, leaving Hae Mi confused and flustered. The crowd of fangirls then disappeared as they trailed behind the kingkas. Hae Mi and her friends then continued with their conversation and walked out towards the school busstop. She waved goodbye to her friends who was boarding the bus, and went to take a seat at the bus stop. She glanced at her watch and sighed. Suddenly, her phone rang.

"Hae Mi sweetheart, could you wait for a little while? Umma got caught in a traffic jam. Go and wait at the nearby cafe, i won't take long."

"Ah, arraseo Umma. I'll wait at the usual cafe across the street. Be safe umma. See you then." Hae Mi hanged up and then crossed the street. She pushed the door of the cafe gently and peeked inside. It wasn't packed with students but it wasn't empty either. She then went to take a seat at the table near the window of the cafe.

"Oh Hae Mi ah! Waiting for your mum again?" A tall boy with hazel eyes asked.

"Oh Minwoo oppa! Ah yes. Waiting for my mum. She got stuck in a traffic jam." Hae Mi replied.

Minwoo nodded and took out his notepad and pen. "Do you want to have a drink while waiting? The weather is warm these days."

Hae Mi nodded in agreement. "One iced latte with whipped cream please."

Minwoo smiled as he carefully wrote her order down. "Alright. Be right back!"

Hae Mi smiled and nodded. Feeling bored, she took out her phone and texted her bestest friend.

'Hyo Jin~ How are you feeling? Better?'

A few seconds later a reply came.

'Ah Hae Mi. I thought you forgot about me ㅠ ㅠ I'm feeling better. How was the last day of school without me?'

Hae Mi chuckled silently.

' Truthfully it wasn't fun without you. How can i have fun when my bestest friend is sick? I wouldn't be a good friend, would i?'

Minwoo finally came to Hae Mi's table with her order on a tray. "Well, here you go, Hae Mi ah. Enjoy. Here's a cheesecake, it's on the house."

Hae Mi gasped and looked up, meeting her eyes with his. "Oppa, no, i can't possibly accept this. What about-"

"No, it's alright. Besides, this is my cafe, isn't it? So, it's alright. Eat up." Min Woo assured her and went off to the kitchen after giving her a wink. 

Hae Mi pouted and blew her bangs away. "Oppa is always like this." She muttered. 

"Did Minwoo disturbed you again, sweetheart?" 

Hae Mi turned to the voice and exclaimed," Umma! Finally you're here. Have a seat." 

Mrs Jang smiled and nodded, taking her seat in front of her daughter. "Minwoo gave you a cheesecake, didn't he?" 

Hae Mi nodded and pouted. Mrs Jang chuckled. "See, i told you he has feelings for you. Why can't you give him a chance?"

Hae Mi's eyes widened and her hands waved a big no. "Umma! Didn't we talk about this? I just... don't feel the same way as he does towards me." 

Mrs Jang could only nod her head. She lunged forward towards the plate of soft New York Cheesecake and took a bite. "Then you don't mind me having some, right?" 

"Umma!" 

Both of them laughed heartily and enjoyed their tea together. 

After the nice and warm tea, the pair went back home. Hae Mi went to wash herself up while Mrs Jang went off to make dinner for them. 

...

"Hmm~ Smells good, Umma. I am super hungry. What's for dinner?" Hae Mi asked, hugging her mum by the side. 

"Nothing much. Just Kimchi stew and fried rice. Can you set up the table for me please?" Mrs Jang asked, smiling.

Hae Mi nodded and went off to set up the dining table. Mrs Jang prepared the dishes and the pair settled down for a peaceful dinner. 

While chewing on the rice, Hae Mi commented on Mrs Jang's cooking. "This is the best, Umma. If only Appa was here. We would be a complete family right?" 

Mrs Jang immediately frozed and looked up. "Hae Mi ah. appa wasn't fated to live a longer life. We have to move on." 

Hae Mi nodded and continued eating. Mrs Jang then ruffled her hair and smiled. She scooped up some more stew and poured into her daughter's bowl. "Oh i just remembered. Have you found a job yet for this summer?" 

Hae Mi shook her head. "Nope, why the sudden question?"

"Your auntie needs workers for her resort in Jeju. You have a diver's and a lifeguard license. Go and apply for it. She will definitely bring you in. You can bring Hyo Jin along." 

Hae Mi pondered about it for a while and then nodded. "Alright. It would be fun anyway. I'll tell Hyo Jin later on when i drop by her place later on." 

"Great. I'll tell your aunite too. Movie night again?" Mrs Jang asked.

"Yeah. It's Friday and we always have movie night on Fridays." Hae Mi replied. She stood up, took hers and Mrs Jang's plate, and brought them to the sink. She washed the dishes while Mrs Jang cleared and wiped the table. 

"Alright Umma, i'll be going now. Sleep early okay?" Hae Mi advised, hugging and kissing her mother goodbye. She then put on her jacket and sneakers and walked out the door. 

"Stay safe, sweetheart." Mrs Jang replied, closing the front door only after seeing her one and only daughter enter the lift. 

 

 

 

 

Hey guys~ I know, i know. A new story again? Oh well. I can't help but to keep on thinking of new ideas. This story is dedicated to one of my friends, Hazirah. She's obessed with EXO these days so yeah, i decided to create a story just for her xD Chapter one is a short introduction, i know it's abit lame as some unimportant details were included. Oh well. Chapter 2 will be up around sometime this weekend? Stay tuned and remember to comment on this, or i won't update xD See you guys around~