Date [Sequel to Matchmaker]

Date [Sequel to Matchmaker]

 

You walked down the familiar busy road towards the matchmaker's house once again. Only this time, you were alone and dressed in a knee-length summer dress, cardigan, and a comfortable pair of flats. Your hands gripped the strap of your bag that was slung over your shoulder as you saw the house come into view.

You slowed your pace when you saw a familiar heir waiting in front of the gate with his hands behind his back and his eyes scanning the crowd.

Your heart started to thump in your chest as you took in his casual attire. He wore a plain white shirt under a stripped grey and white jacket, a thin matching grey scarf wrapped loosely around his neck, and a pain of dark blue skinny jeans.

'Even dressed normally he still looks like a prince,' you thought to yourself.

Jeongmin's eyes lit up when they landed on you and he gave you a soft smile. You returned the smile as he approached you.

"I almost didn't recognize you," Jeongmin laughed, coming to a stop directly in front of you.

You narrowed your eyes with a playful smile on your lips, "Is that good or bad?"

"Mmmm, I wouldn't say that it's a bad thing," he mused, "You just look different. I personally think you look prettier without the makeup."

You bowed your head down in an attempt to hide your now pink tinted cheeks, "Oh, thank you."

Jeongmin chuckled at your bashfulness.

"Shall we go?" he asked, holding one arm out for you.

You nodded your head and hooked your arm through his as he led you down the street.

---

"I like this one," Jeongmin smiled as he picked up a headband with a small white flower off of the table.

"It's pretty," you agreed.

For the past few hours, you and Jeongmin walked around the busy streets. The two of you would just talk about anything and everything and occasionally stop to look at the products of various street vendors.

Jeongmin turned you towards him by the shoulders with one hand, "Here, try it on."

You looked up at him as he carefully slid the headband over your head.

"It looks good on you," he grinned and turned to the old woman sitting behind the table, "We'll take this one."

You looked in a small mirror that sat on the table next to the other headbands and fixed your hair a little as Jeongmin paid the women.

You usually would have declined the gift, but after trying to do that a few times earlier that day, you figured that it would be useless arguing with Jeongmin about things like this.

After spending the day with him, you learned that Jeongmin wasn't the type to be afraid of spending his money. All day, he would shower you with small gift that he knew you secretly wanted. It wasn't that he was showing off his money, he did it with good intentions. As of that moment, he currently bought you lunch, a necklace for your mother, a jade pendent for your father, and the headband that was currently on your head.

Jeongmin turned back to you and was about to say something when someone's obnoxious laugh cut off his words.

You both turned to see a young man and girl walking down the street.

"Weren't they at the matchmaking ceremony too?" Jeongmin asked.

"Yeah, I think they were," you mumbled, suddenly remembering that they were two of the people that made snide remarks when you tripped a little.

You noticed how not only was the boy was dressed in expensive looking clothes, but the girl as well.

'Why would she go to a matchmaker if she is already wealthy?' you wondered.

You were secretly hoping that they wouldn't notice the two of you, but of course, they did.

"Oh, Jeongmin-sshi!" the girl said in an annoyingly high pitched voice.

Jeongmin gave them a polite bow and a smile.

"What are you doing here?" the boy asked, totally ignoring your existence.

"Just shopping around," Jeongmin said casually as glanced at you, "You both remember _______, right?"

"Oh, right," the girl said, a hint of disgust in her tone, "From the matchmaker, right?"

You nodded and gave her a small smile even though you knew she really didn't care.

"Are you two actually on a … date?" the boy asked Jeongmin in disbelief and leaned closer to him, "I mean, you can't be serious right?" he asked in a hushed voice, attempting (and failing) to keep his question from reaching your ears.

Jeongmin tilted his head to the side, confused with the tones of their voices and questions.

"Why, yes we are," Jeongmin deadpanned as he placed a hand protectively on your lower back, "And if you would please excuse us, we would like to get back to it."

The couple's jaws dropped as they watched Jeongmin lead you away from the two of them.

---

"This is my stop," you said as the two of you reached the arch in front of your home.

"Thank you for today," you gave Jeongmin a small bow.

"Oh, the pleasure was all mine," he smiled, "Let me walk to you to the door."

You nodded and led Jeongmin up the path to the front door of your home.

Just as the two of you stepped onto the porch, your mother opened the door with your grandmother behind her.

"Omo, ______-ah you're back already?" she asked.

You nodded your head and opened your mouth to speak when your grandmother pushed your mother out of the way and cut you off.

"And who is this young man?" your grandmother asked with a smirk.

"Hello, I'm Jeongmin of the Lee family," he gave both of the older women a deep bow.

"Why, hello, Jeongmin of the Lee family," your grandmother smiled, "You got yourself a good one, ______-ah."

"Grandma," you muttered between your teeth, giving her a look to stop talking.

Your mother shook her head and lightly pushed your grandmother back into the house before stepping out onto the porch and closing the door behind her.

"Thank you for bringing her home, Jeongmin-ah," your mother smiled, "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Would you like to stay forever?" you heard your grandmother ask through the door.

You silently groaned to yourself and Jeongmin chuckled.

"I would love to, thank you," he gave your mother another bow.

"Excellent!" your mother clapped and opened the door, walking back into the house.

"I see they already like me," Jeongmin teased, "Now I don't even have to get permission before I ask you to marry me."

You gave him a light shove and rolled your eyes, "Come on, I'm pretty sure my grandmother would like to talk to you some more."

Jeongmin laughed as he followed you into the house and shut the door behind him.