Strangers

Something Beautiful

 

"It's okay, you're not alone."
She gazed at the boy as he crouched before her, listening to the sweet echo of his words. It calmed her, although she wasn't sure why. For a moment, she had no desire to cry, she actually believed the words of the stranger, as odd as they were.
But just as quickly as the feeling of company had come, it passed away and she once more sunk down. A pain arose in her chest as she held back a small cry, knowing that although physically she had company, mentally she was alone.
Upon seeing the melancholy look return to the girls eyes, the boy sighed and sat back on the floor. He wondered if he would ever be able to get through to the girl whose troubles blocked any sense getting to her. But he knew from past experience it wasn't impossible to totally block out hope.

"The doctors here are really good." He assured, simply making small conversation but picking topics that would convince the girl not to worry.
However as the girl looked up at him, an unreadable expression on her face, he caught himself wondering if the girl could understand the words coming from his mouth. It wouldn't be the first time he'd tried to make conversation with someone who didn't know how to speak English. He was after all in a hospital, and people of all races and cultures came here for a select few reasons. Jobs, visits or treatment.
"If the doctors are good why do people die in hospital." Her reply came with a stray tear, shocking the boy as much as it relieved him. If she couldn't speak English, he wouldn't have known if he should leave her or stay, not being able to help. But the mixture of accents in her voice assured him that although not from England, she'd been speaking the same language as him for some time.
While giving a warm smile, he found himself stuck on how to answer her question. The boy hadn't expected her to reply in such a way and her doing so had caught him off guard. "Some illnesses don't have cures yet. But they still do as much as they can to help."
"Trying your best doesn't always work." She gave a harsh reply, but didn't mean it. Worry had caused her to only want perfection. Only perfection would mean her mother would be okay. It was the only way her treatment would turn out right and someone doing their best didn't always mean it was enough.
"If you can't do your best then why try at all, right?" Her gave her a understanding look as he talked, convincing her he wasn't trying to make fun of her. "My names Oliver, by the way."
"I don't see how knowing your name helps my mom." When the girl saw Oliver had been taken back by her choice of words, she shook her head. "I'm sorry. It really isn't your fault so I shouldn't take it out on you."
Oliver simply nodded and pulled the cap on his head further down to cover his eyes more. Apparently his body's condition could be judged through the state of his eyes. If they drooped and looked tired, it meant he was unwell. As he couldn't see himself, he worried over it. Being weak was one thing he was, but he didn't like other's knowing.

Together they sat in silence, both absorbed in thoughts to do with similar things. They knew equally as much about each other, yet those things were small. He knew her mother was ill, and she knew his name. But neither could help the other with the little things they knew.
"Naomi."
Oliver looked towards the girl, simply thinking she was talking to herself. Finding the girl was looking at him, he realise the word spoken was addressed to him, yet the reason behind it was unknown.
"My name. Naomi is my name." He nodded at her but otherwise knew not how to react or reply. What kind of reaction was she after, anyway?
As the operating room's door opened besides them and a man dressed in sterilised, white clothes stepped from inside, Naomi's eyes lit up with hope. It was the thing Oliver knew would never leave anyone and during his time here he'd seen nearly everyone he encountered share the same look. Once. He's like to witness the feeling of hope at least just once.
Two pairs of eyes wondered over to him as he sat on the room. Naomi had already stood, wiping the tears from her face after doing so. The words that were about to be spoken had nothing to do with him, and knowing this he stood and smiled before turning. "Good luck Naomi."


"She's okay..."
Naomi sat on the bench outside her mother's hospital room. She repeated the words over and over as she smiled to herself, grateful for the work of the doctors and nurses that had helped her.
Yet even though she'd been authorised to see her mother, she still found herself alone. Too scared to see her mother's sleeping body incase of something going wrong, she stayed where she was and shivered slightly due to the cold winds the swept through the ward.
She couldn't face her mother alone, the fear ate her alive as she worried about the condition of her parent but was anxious about seeing her so weak and helpless.
Could that have been why she stood from the hard bench and walked away from the room? She silently wondered around the white building and looked for the only person she knew. Unsurprisingly, no one was around to question her or shock her as she walked around a corner. But with each corridor she walked through, the hope of her finding the boy shrunk.

"Naomi?" A voice she slightly recognised rang through the hospital and she smiled at her name before turning to see the boy it had come from.
At first Oliver was shocked, he hadn't expected to see anyone around while he walked. Especially not Naomi, whom he'd expected to be sitting with her mother. But there she was, walking towards him with a twinkle in her eyes and smile playing on her lips.
"Oliver she was okay! You were right after all! Thank you so much!" He smiled at the change of attitude the girl sported while she clasped his hands and smiled brightly. Yet he questioned how he'd helped her. Maybe it was the fact he'd kept her company when she needed someone the most.
"That's great! I told you didn't I, everything would be okay."
Naomi's smile grew before turning into a frown as she looked towards the floor. "But I'm too worried to see her. What if it isn't alright after all?"
He gave her a questionable look as she let go of his hand. Never had he met someone worried about entering the room holding their ill family member. But never had it been a girl who was alone and afraid of everything.
"Then..."
"Come with me please! I need to see her, but there's no one to assure me it's okay. I've never been optimistic about things like this, so when I'm alone I don't know what to do." Her voice was pleading and the truth within it dripped from each word she said. He almost worried she's burst into tears once more from the pressure of not knowing what to do, and finding himself not wanting to see her cry, he nodded and took her hand once more.
"Don't worry. I won't leave you alone."


--
I think this chapter is longer than the other one. Hopefully you all like this chapter, I worked hard.
Sorry about not getting this out earlier but I got distracted, things didn't really go as I'd planned and I kind of forgot about my original fics for a while.