First Step: The Encounter

One Step At A Time

Sunyoung sighed.

 

Her life had officially reached an all time low.

The interest of her dad’s debt was accumulating aggressively and piling up like a hard, solid snowball. However, it was not as if she could rely on her dad to pay off his debt, judging by how disorientated and distressed he had reduced to be, ever since the closure of their tteokbokki factory. She did not have the heart to blame him either, for she knew it very clearly herself that the factory was everything to her father.

Without its existence, it was no surprise that it would send the only pillar of her family stumbling and eventually crashing to the ground.

In one way or another, the current mental state of her father had also meant that only she and her mother would be able to go out to work. This explained why she was slogging her guts out, working in the cold winter at a roadside tteokbokki stall with her best friend, Lee Ji Eun. She was not much of a whiner, who would always go on grumbling about her unfortunate predicament.

In fact, she was thankful that Ji Eun was willing to help her manage the stall out of her own free will and was always there to give her the extra push she needed, to keep her going.

 

However, the fact that her mother had fainted at work due to over exhaustion, had become the last straw that broke the camel’s back. She has had enough of all of this.

Firstly, this would indicate that she would now have to work even harder to pay off the hospital bills. Secondly, this somewhat implied that she was the only one left standing in her family to pay off the debts.

Mind you, the loansharks were not exactly the kindest soul ever and they would not get off her back even if she was just a teenager. Yes, this was a selfish thought but you couldn’t blame her. She was only 20 and at times like this, she would be so tempted to leave the house on impulse and pursue a better life of her own. After all, today’s incident would not have happened if her mother had actually heeded her advice.

 

“Mum, are you okay?” Sunyoung asked, concerned.

“I’m fine.” Her mother coughed, with her voice barely louder than a whisper.

“Mum, I don’t want to nag at you but would you please just cooperate with me for once and stay at home for today?” Sunyoung urged and kept her eyes on her mother.

“Sunyoung, I said that I’m fine so quit your nagging. Since when did we switch roles? From what I remember, I am your mum. Not the other way around.” Her mother hushed, and left the house in a jiffy, rendering Sunyoung speechless.

Yeah right, now that you are sick, I am totally your mum instead.

 

Nonetheless, she did not want to leash her frustration on her perfectly innocent friend so here she was, poking the tteokbokki with nothing but rigour and fury.

Just then, a loud crashing sound jolted Sunyoung back from her train of thoughts. Before she could retrieve her sanity, there was a guy lying against her leg and he was visibly exhausted.

Okay, perhaps this marked the so called “all time low of her life” instead. She was beyond annoyed and all she wanted to do was to kick this guy back to his original position and far away from her sight. She was one to live up to her words and she meant it when she said she did not need any more spark of drama in her life.

 

Come on, just spare her for once and allow her to escape all this chaos.

 

With that, she shut her eyes tightly and took in a deep breath. Boy, was she happy when she realized the guy was no longer there and she could finally get back to work in peace. However, within the next second, she found out that it was only her wishful thinking and the guy had merely switched places to hide beside Ji Eun, who was terror-stricken.

Just as she bent down to shove the guy out of her stall, a deep authoritative voice made her freeze in place.

 

 

“Ladies, I’m sorry but by any chance, have you seen a guy with blonde hair and goes by the name ‘L.joe’?”

 


YOOHOO! Okay, I'm sorry that I took so long to update. The truth is I was having a hard time to decide on the storyline for this story. Anways, I have finally started on this. Firstly, I would like to thank you guys for all your lovely comments. Next, many thanks for subscribing even though I have only updated today T T

Okay, I would try to get the chapter 2 up soon so please do leave some comments below and let me know what you think of this story. Have an awesome day ahead! :)