::final chapter:: you smiled

Your Smile Is My Everything

::final chapter:: you smiled

Yeonhee who was sitting under a cherry blossom tree was leaning against the tree, her eyes were closed as she enjoys the cool yet warm wind. Yeonhee, a 19 year old girl who has never smiled since 4 years ago. Because of some incident that made her have bitter memories during high school, ever since she never once smiled. No matter how happy she was, she would always keep a poker face. But in reality, Yeonhee wants to smile, she wants to know how it feels when she smiles. But she's afraid. She's afraid to smile, afraid of what other think of her.

Four years ago, she was in year 10. She was the only victim of bullying in her school. Reason being was because she was an outcast. She was Korean while other students were all Americans. Yes, that's right. Yeonhee was a new transfer student from Korea to America. She had to move to America due to her parent's work. For her whole year in high school, she was bullied and made fun of. Every time she tried to talk, students would always say "Why are you talking?" or "Ew, don't talk. I don't want to hear your voice.". The same thing happens when she smiles when she gets good grade. Some may say "Ew, look at her smile. It's not even pretty." or "Why are you smiling. Smiling doesn't even suit you." and they'll walk away leaving Yeonhee hurt and making herself avoid other people. Even though she avoided the students, it didn't stop them from bullying her.

Yeonhee snaps her eyes open, upon remembering the bitter memories. She sighed and looked up, her eyes immediately following one person. That person was none other than Byun Baekhyun, a senior in his third year of his course. Everything about Byun Baekhyun, Yeonhee had an interest in him. Everytime she hears his name or is near him, her heart beats faster and she tries not to let her eyes wander off to him. There were times, Byun Baekhyun looked back at Yeonhee and locked eyes for a few seconds before Yeonhee looks else where and scurries off.

Byun Baekhyun, a 21 year old university student, studying in his third year. Although he is 21, he has an ultimate baby face, making him look younger. He has many talents, that being able to sing with a heavenly gifted voice, able to play any musical instrument, good at sports, so basically, he's perfect at everything. Boys evny his talents as girls swoon over him. Byun Baekhyun has been confessed by many girls but all were turned down politely, saying that he doesn't want to be in a relationship that will hinder his studies. He says that, however there is one, only girl that occupies his mind and that is Song Yeonhee.

Baekhyun doesn't know he is interested in her. But everything about her makes his heart beats faster, wanting to be near her and talk to her and get to know her better. But he never had the courage to do so, therefore he tends to watch her from afar.

"Why am I so interested in him? It's not like I'll ever talk to him." Yeonhee mumbles to herself, before opening an English book and started to read. The English book she was reading was Fallen, written by Lauren Kate. While she was reading and was so engrosed into it, she didn't realise that Baekhyun had approached her.

"Do you like reading English novels?" he asks, taking a seat beside her. Yeonhee looks up, startled by his prescence beside her. She could only stare at him, questionning him with her eyes that says 'who-are-you?' even though she already knows who Baekhyun was.

"I'm Byun Baekhyun. You?" Baekhyun introduces himself with a smile. Yeonhee had to bit the inside of to stop her from smilling. She had sworn to herself that no matter what, she would not smile.

"Song Yeonhee." she mumbled and turned back to her book.

"How old are you? I'm 21 years old this year."

I know that. You don't have to tell me. Your popular so you don't have to introduce yourself to me. Why did he even introduce himself to me?

"19." Yeonhee says before flipping a page. She was already three-quarters through the book. Baekhyun gazes softly at Yeonhee and smiles. Yeonhee sees the smile from the corner of her eyes, and again, she tries not to smile. Although Baekhyun was smiling, his eyes were sad. He had heard about what Yeonhee had gone through when she was studying in America, he had heard it from his mother. Baekhyun's mother was a friend of Yeonhee's mother, but Yeonhee herself doesn't know that. Deep inside his heart, Baekhyun loves her and he himself knows that he loves her. The way he gazes at her, he knows it all and is completely aware of his feelings for her.

Deep down in his heart, he's angry at the students who made Yeonhee like this. He wants to hear her talk more and smile more. He only wants it for himself only, he doesn't want others to hear or see her smile. He knows that he's selfish with his desires, but he can't help it when he's madly in love with Yeonhee. Baekhyun had promised Yeonhee's mother to make her smile again and he knows that it wouldn't be that easy.

"Why are you here?" Yeonhee asks, closing her book as she places a bookmark in the middle of the book. Although she didn't look at Baekhyun, she knew he was smiling. There was never a time Baekhyun never smiled. Putting away her book and zipping up her bag and sat up straight, narrowing her eyes at one particular person walking towards her. Her jaws tightened as she clenches her fist.

"Hello, Yeonhee. Long time no see." the male student said in English. Yeonhee however didn't respond at all but kept a cold poker face and just stared at him with pure hatred in her eyes. Baekhyun looks at the male student and at Yeonhee back and forth. And just by seeing Yeonhee's expression, he knew that Yeonhee was not happy to see him, seeing how her eyes were filled with pure hatred.

"Who are you?" Baekhyun asks, breaking the long silence between the two of them. The male student just looks at Baekhyun and smirks. Baekhyun had to take deep breaths to hold back his anger.

"I'm asking you a question here." Baekhyun tries again, clenching his teeth as his gaze pierces into the student.

"James. Jame Lee. Who are you?"

"Baekhyun. Do you know Yeonhee?"

Why is he talking to that bastard!?

"Yes. Of course!" James exclaimed as there was a small smirk plastered on his face as he looked down at Yeonhee who remained her calm expression even though she was mentally shaking with anger.

"I'm her friend in high school in America."

America? Yeonhee doesn't have any friends in America. Baekhyun thought as he looked at James and then noticed the smirk on his face.

"I don't believe that."

"Why is that?"

"Because if you were her friend. She would of responded to you and she wouldn't be looking at you with pure hatred." Baekhyun said casually as he stands up. Yeonhee look down at her watch, letting out an inaudible gasp. Yeonhee immediately got up, gathering her things and walks off, not even saying good bye to Baekhyun nor James. Of course she wouldn't say good bye to James, after all, James was the one who started the bullying when she first entered the class as the new student.

Baekhyun also left and went to his class leaving James standing there, laughing to himself. James stopped laughing and stared at the direction that Yeonhee went and smirks before leaving the campus before getting caught by the security guard, since he sneaked into the university.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Two weeks has passed and Baekhyun has been approaching Yeonhee more than ever. There were times Yeonhee would just walk the opposite way of Baekhyun but Baekhyun would always find a way to find her. Yeonhee practically gave up avoiding Baekhyun and just allowed him to do whatever he wanted. Yeonhee had also found out from her mother that he was a family friend.

Even though Yeonhee tried not to smile when ever Baekhyun was near her, which was very difficult to do. Yeonhee was again alone at the cherry blossom tree again. Although her course has finished, she decided to visit the school. Yeonhee was born as a very smart girl with the highest IQ level, hence she entered university and studied in high school at the same time in year 11. Her course only took three years and now she's finally graduating. Upon taking volunteer jobs, she managed to get herself a job as a patisser. Right now, she is currently the youngest patisser for Sukiyaki, a Japanese-Korean cake franchise.

Yeonhee sighs and leans back against the tree. Her eyes darted to the side and she immediately thought of Baekhyun.

Why... Why am I thinking of him? Why is Baekhyun occupying my mind?

Yeonhee's eyes immediately stared at the figure in front of her, tilting her head to the side, trying to figure out who the person approaching her was.

"Excuse me, are you Yeonhee?" he asked.

"Yes. Who are you?"

"Oh I'm sorry. I'm Park Chanyeol, Baekhyun's friend. Baekhyun has told me to give this to you." Chanyeol handed over a square box to Yeonhee and walked off after biding good bye to her.

Yeonhee strares at the square box, questioning herself what it could be. She opened the box due to her curiosity of what was inside the box. She stares at the bracelet that was inside the box.

Why would he give me this?

She took out the bracelet and a small note fell out. She picked up the note, and stared at it for a long time.

Where have I seen this note before? It looks so familiar...

Yeonhee opens up the letter and read it.

Dear Yeonhee,

It's me Baekhyun oppa. Ah! You must be wondering why I'm giving you this letter.

You may not remember you but you and I were really close when we were young.

I'm hoping you remember this note color. When you were 5, you wanted this type of note book,

so I bought it and gave it as your 6th birthday present. That time, I still remember your bright gem like

smile. How I wish to see your smile again. Your mother has told me what happened during your transfer

time in America. It must of been hard for you.

Oh, about that James guy, don't worry about him. I already took care of him, he won't be bothering you any

more. I hope you'll talk to me more.

Baekhyun.

Yeonhee stares at the letter, her heart beats faster after reading the letter. 

Does he like me?

"No.. that can't be. Otherwise he wouldn't go this far..."

"Yeonhee~!" Baekhyun hollered as he came running to her with a big smile plastered on his face. He came to a halt in front of Yeonhee, his hands placed on his knees as he slightly pants. He looks up with a smile. "Did you get the bracelet and the letter inside it?"

Yeonhee nodded but said nothing else. Her mind was still occupied with thoughts of Baekhyun liking her. Baekhyun studied her expression and decided that it was time to confess his feelings. He sat down across her, just a meter away from her, he smiled while looking at her big doe eyes, long eye lashes and her baby like features.

"Yeonhee-ah, do you want to hear me sing a song for you?" he asked, hoping she would say yes.

Yeonhee nodded without second thoughts or hesitations, which allowed Baekhyun to have a big smile on his face. Opening his mouth to sing, his sweet voice surrounded them as she closed her eyes, leaning against the tree listening to Baekhyun's heavenly voice. Baekhyun opened his eyes, still singing, while singing, he smiled upon seeing Yeonhee's beautiful smile. Without her knowing, he took out another note and wrote on in and placed it on her lap underneath her hands.

Baekhyun finished singing the song as Yeonhee still has her eyes closed, as she fell a sleep. With a smile, he brushed away her bangs and leaned in, kissing her gently on the lips. He pulled away.

"I love you." he whispers before leaving her since he was late for class.

Half an hour passed since Yeonhee fell asleep. She woke up with a start and glanced down at her hands. She tilts her head as she holds up the note. She lets out a gasp when she saw what it said inside.

Yeonhee-ah, I love you.

While singing, I opened my eyes and suddenly, like a rainbow, you were smiling.

A really beautiful smile that captivated me ever since I met you when we were young.

I love you.

Baekhyun.

Unknowingly, Yeonhee smiled as she gazed at the note softly. Watching from far was Baekhyun who too was smiling.

"Keep smiling. Because your smile is my everything and it means a lot to me." Baekhyun whispers to himself.