Don't Get Mad

Don't Get Mad

“Who was that?”

“Just an oppa I know… Why?

“Nothing, just asking.”

“I’ve known him forever,” you continued, ignoring his response. “Remember when I told you about our old neighbors? He’s their son, they had to move when he was in middle school but he always kept in touch and now he’s back in Seoul running his own business.”

“Mm, is that so?”

You glanced at your boyfriend sitting on the couch, casually browsing through one of your magazines.

“Did I mention he’s only a year older than us? Isn’t it amazing? He graduated from Sungkyunkwan while handling his business at the same time. I’ve always known he’s smart since he was always the top student in school but to think of his success right now… It’s even more surprising that he doesn’t have a girlfriend,” you sighed in mock frustration while watching him carefully, “even my mom’s nagging at me to grab him while he’s available. So annoying.”

He sighed audibly, “stop it, _____.”

“Wae?” You asked, affecting innocence, “it’s true. He’s handsome, rich and such a gentleman. He can cook and he always knows how to treat a woman. It’s a wonder he’s still single… but you know, my friends say he’s been holding out for me. Isn’t that ridiculous? How can someone like him possibly li-“

He stood up suddenly, putting the magazine down, “I said stop it.”

“No.” You stuck out your jaw stubbornly, not caring that you probably looked a lot like a petulant child right now.

in his breathe, he closed his eyes, “Don’t…”

“Don’t what?” You challenged him, straightening to full height, arms folded.

“Dammit, ____, don’t get mad.” He warned through gritted teeth.

You exploded at his words; how dare he ask you to not get angry?

“Why? Just because you can’t doesn’t mean everyone else can’t either. I am mad Yongguk, I am already mad. Your girlfriend just out right flirted with another guy in front of you and you just stand there?!”

It was his turn to glare at you, “you did it on purpose.”

“Yes,” you exclaimed defiantly, “yes, I did it on purpose. I wanted to see if you actually have the capability to feel anything, but I guess not. You’re not a pacifist, Yongguk, you’re a coward!”

“I don’t have time for this.” He replied in a tight but quiet voice, moving past you towards the door.

“Oh yeah, that’s right. The fans say you’re cool so that’s how you’re going to be isn’t it? Too cool to get angry, no time to get jealous. No time for any events, no time to talk, no time for anything! Was there ever a time you wanted me in your life, Yongguk?”

SLAM!

——

The last of her words were swallowed by the sound of the door slamming shut but Yongguk had heard them nonetheless. He grimaced, banging his fist on the wall before stalking down the hallway and out of the building. All the way back to the dorms, he couldn’t keep them out of his head- was there ever a time you wanted me in your life?

The words alone had stung, but coupled with her tone- angry yet genuine, the question shook him up. Did she really think he didn’t want her? The thought made him even angrier and he scoffed; sometimes, he really didn’t understand women. Why did everything have to be so complicated? Why couldn’t she understand that it just wasn’t in his character to openly show how he really felt? The more he thought about it, the more agitated he got- why couldn’t she just accept him the way he is?

Yongguk turned and headed towards the practice room; he really needed to work out his frustrations.

——

You walked down the street soberly, umbrella in hand, thoughts entirely consumed by the events of that day exactly a week ago. You knew it was time to put it behind you- not just your fight but your relationship, difficult as that was. It hadn’t been the first time you’d fought but this time you felt the finality of it all. In retrospect, you had been totally unfair to him and in your anger you’d said some things you didn’t mean. Yet at the same time, you knew you couldn’t go on in this relationship if something didn’t change.

You weren’t clingy, nor were you demanding. And you definitely weren’t insecure; you knew Yongguk loved you- you wouldn’t be dating if he didn’t, but you also knew you couldn’t be in a relationship with a man who wasn’t comfortable showing you a little appreciation every now and then. You had expressed this to him or at least tried to since he would always shy away from any sort of confrontation or serious talk due to his peace-loving nature. That added to your frustration and you had turned to your last resort which landed you here, now, all alone.

Sighing, you headed back to your apartment, dodging puddles of rain water on the road.

——

Click

Yongguk turned to face the door and cursed, dropping the uninflated balloon in panic. He looked at the floor around him and cursed again in dismay- everything was a mess. Making a split decision, he pulled up the rug and started sweeping the stray pieces of confetti and broken balloons under it.

“Yongguk?” Your voice was no more than a whisper but he turned and stood at full attention after hearing it. You glanced around, taking in the sight of your living room. An array of pink and red helium balloons bounced softly about the ceiling, little pieces of broken ones littered the floor along with some shiny cuts of paper. Haphazardly arranged blocks of candles sat on the coffee table beside a basket of rose petals. There was a strange smell coming from the kitchen and you noticed that your kitchen utensils weren’t exactly where you had left them this morning.

“You’re home early,” came his quiet voice and you turned to blink at him.

“We managed to finish early today…” You stared at him, still stunned by his presence and the state of your home.

Yongguk stared back, hands curling into fists to keep him from hugging you- he never knew how much he’d missed you ‘til now.

He cleared his throat and looked away, “I um… I was trying to surprise you.” He sighed and continued, gesturing to the floor, “I know I’m not very good at it but-”

“Yongguk, please, you don-”

“No.” He cut you off, taking you by surprise.

“Let me finish… please.” It was almost a question and the hint of desperation in his voice stopped you.

“I was really angry with you that day… I thought you were mocking me, trying to make me do things you knew I hated, things you knew I couldn’t do,” he paused, taking a deep breathe.

“And then I got angry at myself- ‘why couldn’t I do those things you wanted?’, ‘Why couldn’t I make you happy?”

“Yongguk, that’s not-”

He held up a hand to interrupt you again, “and then I finally realized that’s not the problem. People can change. I can change. And I will, just…,” he took a step closer to you, holding his hand out. “If you would just give me a second chance… and maybe a third one after that, and more after that. If you would just know that I will try, that I’ll keep trying, even if… even if I can’t make it…,” he trailed off and dropped his extended hand.

You kept your gaze on him, vision blurring as tears formed in your eyes. Slowly, you nodded, any thoughts of leaving this man disappearing altogether.

“Babo… you can have all the chances you want,” you smiled shyly at him.

Swallowing loudly at your reply, he came forward and drew you into a tight hug, breathing a shaky sigh of relief into your hair, “I missed you.”

Pulling back, he wiped your wet cheeks with his thumb, “I love you.”

It was the first time you had heard the words from him and you couldn’t stop the fresh tears.

“I love you too,” you whispered as he leaned down to cover your lips with his own.