Chapter 3

Touched by an Angel

 


“Again, you want me to do what?” Donghae exclaims aloud, dumbfounded by the given tasks. Everything feels so foreign to him.

“I always knew angels are airheads. But I didn’t expect them to be this dumb” Kyuhyun seethes in dismay. “Listen carefully. All you need to do is, turn yourself into human form, and let the soul possess you. He’ll then use your body to complete his last wish.”

Donghae’s thick brown mob ruffles as he shaking his head back and forth like a child “But, why?”

“You can’t expect a wandering soul wanting to leave this world without a deal, do you?” Kyuhyun says in his signature smugness, scanning The Eye as he speaks. “There’s a reason why they refuse to leave the world. Mostly, because of unfinished business, and even to some, maybe regrets.”

Then, the smiling guy next to Kyuhyun interrupts “I don’t really ask for much. I just wish for one last show.”

“See, he’s such a nice and helpful soul” Kyuhyun fakes a smile, and pats the guy on the back “How should we call you, again?”

Beaming excitedly, the soul replies “I’m Yunho. Some of my friends called me U-know.”

“Great” Kyuhyun extended his hands out “I’m Kyuhyun and this ungrateful brat is called Donghae. I’m sure we’ll make a good team.”

“Hold on” Donghae interrupts “I have not agreed to it.”

“Excuse me, we are not here to get your consent” Kyuhyun hisses indignantly “Especially since my is on the line, thanks to you.”.

Yunho shakes his head “It’s okay. Why don’t you think about it first? It is your body, and I do need to borrow it for few practice sessions, before the actual performance as well. Besides, I’m not going anywhere.”

Kyuhyun clasps Yunho’s hands “You’re such an angel.”


******************


It’s already the fifth day, and Donghae still has not decide whether to take Yunho’s wish or not. He did try to talk to other souls, but, just like what Kyuhyun mentioned, no one wanted to leave the world without a deal. And there have been many crazy offers as well.

Wandering aimlessly, he reaches the end of the west wing, feeling lost once again.

He’s about to turn around, when he heard a familiar voice, coming from one of the rooms.

As he walks in, passing by nurse who were too busy gossiping with each other. As he walks further, he realizes it actually a small ward, playfully designed with colorful ‘Get Well Soon’ cards and handmade posters in crayons, posted on a bulletin board. Scanning the notices and announcements, his eyes caught a picture of familiar face, smiling softly, on the organization chart. He reads the name quietly, Lee Hyukjae.

“Doctor, doctor, can you read to us one more story?” a small, girly voice speaks, follow by other happy shrieks; caught his attention.

Donghae cautiously follows the source of it. Then he hears the soothing voice he has been longing to hear again “Sorry, I can’t. I’m meeting up with an old friend today.”

“Eh?” whines and cries fill the room.

Peeking from outside, his heart beats faster at the sight of the young doctor, sitting on a huge chair at the corner, with a little girl on his lap and few more kids sprawling happily on the play mat.

“Okay, okay. I promise, I’ll be reading 3 stories tomorrow” he pats the little girl’s head, adoringly. “I haven’t seen my friend for so long; he’ll kill me if I miss tonight dinner.”

“Is it Doctor Ryeowook?” a boy with a broken arm asks.

“Of course not” another boy replies “He was here yesterday, duh.”

Donghae approaches them, settling next to a little girl in a pink dress. He’s invisible, creepily stalking the doctor, and glad of it.

“Joonnie is right. It’s not Doctor Ryeowook I’m meeting. This friend of mine is not a doctor. He’s a music engineer” the young doctor quickly replies before the two boys fight with each other.

“What is a music engineer?” the girl next to Donghae asks softly.

“They make music. They don’t sing but help singers make beautiful music. And my friend is one of the best” he replies with a warm smile. Donghae burrowed his brows at his statement. “Well, I better move on now” he gently picks the little girl up and places her on the floor with her friends “I can’t be late tonight.”

Donghae quickly gets on his feet and walks to door, waiting as the doctor bids the children goodbye.

It takes awhile for the guy to get away from the clingy children, but Donghae notices the warm and loving light, flickering in his eyes. A small smile slowly spreads on his own lips.

Walking next to the doctor through the lonely corridor, Donghae observes the man closely, trying to figure out, why he’s so taken by him. Somehow, he really feels like he has met him before, the exact same feeling he felt towards Siwon.

As they step into an empty elevator, the door is suddenly held forcibly open by a girl “Doctor, I was looking for you.”

Hyukjae nods politely. Donghae notices the subtle change on the man’s expression, greeting her softly, yet impassively, “Victoria-ssi.”

“I told you to call me Vic, right” the girl leans closer, invading the other’s personal space.

Donghae is hit with the weird urge to interfere. But sadly for him, he’s technically not there.

“So, have you thought of daddy’s proposition?” she asks, staring straight at the young doctor.

“Yes” he replies curtly, eyes fixed on the elevator’s door.

She edges closer, tilting her head slightly “And?”

“I’m not taking his offer” the doctor tenses, clearly not ready to discuss over the matter with her..

“Why not? You’re such an amazing surgeon. Don’t you think you’re wasting your talent being a pediatrician?” she frowns deeply.

Perfectly on time, the door opens with a loud thud. Donghae quickly rushes out, staring at the two. The doctor steps out as soon as the girl did, bows to her and replies firmly “I love being a pediatrician.” As he turns around and walks away from her, Donghae heard him mumbling under his breath “It’s the only thing I can do for him.”


**********************


“What the are you doing here?” Kyuhyun demands, not bothering to come down from his flashy sport car, not that others can see it. “You are supposed to work your in the hospital.”

Donghae grins apologetically “I was. Then, things got out of hand, and… Well, here I am.”

Kyuhyun shakes his head in disbelief “I know he’s cute, but stalking the doctor won’t do you any good.”

“I’m not stalking” Donghae barks defensively “I just feel something bad is going to happen to him, and, he’s such a good person, thus I want to help out. Let’s just say, it’s an angel’s instinct.”

Kyuhyun heaves a sigh, pushes back his sunglasses. “Yeah right. I call that occupational hazard” he says nonchalantly. “You do know that we are not allowed to fall in love with their kind, right? It’s the first rule for all Divine messengers.”

“I’m not falling in love with a human” Donghae stammers.

“Sure. Then take it as a reminder” waving slightly as he speeds off.

“I’m not, falling for him” Donghae shouts after Kyuhyun, feeling frantic and alone.

Kyuhyun’s words hit him hard.

He used to adore humans, looking over them with his best intention. But in the end he realized, they are just humans. Greed, selfishness and hatred are part of their characters. And he got tired of them.

“But he’s different” he mumbles, staring at The Eye’s screen; ‘Human?’ 

“Sir, you forgot this” a woman voice interrupts his thought. Turning around to the direction, Donghae smiles at the sight of the doctor; shopping bags on both of his hands.

The doctor bows apologetically, shuffling his shopping bags for more space. Then accidently one of it fell to the ground, revealing a small beach ball which rolls away.

“Eh~” he wails, quickly chasing after it. The ball bounces on the pavement and rolls to the busy road. Everything happens so fast in a blink of an eye.

Only then Donghae realizes that the doctor is too focused on his chase, to notice the incoming car “Watch out!”

Rushing to guy, Donghae grabs his arms roughly and pulls him back; honk from a speeding car blaring loudly. They fumble to the ground; shopping bags scattering on the pavement.

“, where’s your eyes? Are you trying to get yourself killed?” Donghae spits.

In a shocked state, the young doctor blinks vacantly. Then with a shaky voice, bowing slightly in Donghae’s direction, softly says “Hmm…thanks for saving me.”

“Eh?” Donghae exclaims, surprise he’s being seen by the doctor.

Only then he realizes, few seconds ago, in reflex, he pressed the ‘Human Form’ function, right before he rushes to save the other. Feeling guilty for shouting at him, Donghae averts his eyes, slowly edging away, mumbling nervously “Hm. Sure.” But as he transfers his weight onto his hands, to get on his feet, Donghae winces painfully “Ouch”. There’s a small wound on his palm, something only human can feels.

“Eh, you’re hurt” the doctor quickly gets on his feet and grabs Donghae’s hand.

Donghae quickly pulls it away and holds his hand behind his back “Just a small cut. It’s okay.”

“Of course it’s not” the guy replies sternly, stubbornly pulling Donghae’s hand for inspection. “I’m a doctor and I would not accept a wound inflicted by my own carelessness, to go untreated.”

Donghae blinks at him, not knowing how to respond.

“I have a first aid kit in my car. At least, let me clean the wound for you” he says gently, watching and waiting for Donghae to agree.

Heaving deeply, Donghae finally nods in agreement, following the doctor to his car.

As they reach the car, the doctor quickly opens it and tosses the shopping bags to the back seat. Then, he pulls out a small box; gesturing Donghae to sit at the front seat. Donghae watches in amazement, as the doctor skillfully set his tool aside, treating Donghae thoughtfully.

“I’m, Lee Hyukjae” he says quietly, carefully applying a white bandage, over the afflicted area.

“I know” Donghae blurts out.

The doctor looks up instantly, staring at Donghae’s flustered face “How did you know? Have we met before?”

Donghae panics, looking around for a sign. And he’s in luck “From your name tag” he pointed at the lanyard, hanging on the rearview mirror.

Sighs in relief, the doctor smiles shyly “For a moment, I thought you were a stalker.”

“Why? Do you get stalked regularly?” Donghae nervously asks.

A beautiful laughter erupts from the other guy “Not really.” Then, he paused and looks at Donghae “Aren’t you going to tell me your name?”

“Just call me Donghae” he replies.

“Okay. You can call me Hyukjae, then” Tucking in the edge of the bandage, he says lightly “There, you’re good as new.”

Donghae nods politely “Thanks. I better go my way now.”

“No, you’re not” he replies “I’m treating you dinner.”

“Eh~” Donghae exclaims, anxiously ruffling his own hair, hoping Kyuhyun is not somewhere near.

 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Sorry for not updating this fic since last Dec. 

Other pairs been occupiedmy muse :)