Chapter 1

Touched by an Angel

For him, good and evil have always been a mystery.

Who decides what is good and what is not? How the line separating them is defined? The only thing he is sure of is that the two co-exists, complements to each other. But Donghae will never know which side he really fits in better.

“Hurry up, will you. We don’t have the whole day” the guy, dressed in all black, interrupts his thoughts, gesturing him to follow his lead. Quickening his steps on the luminous red bricked pathway, Donghae hears the other scoff blatantly “Stop spacing out. We Death Gods have other work to do than entertain fallen angels.”

Biting his lips in annoyance, Donghae follows closely, eyes fixed on the guy’s firm back, wondering how he hides his wings; assuming he does have one, just like his kind, soaring above. Lazily, his gaze diverts to the fully tinted glass building at the end of the trail, shivering silently at the thought of what awaits. Nervously rubbing his nape, Donghae tilts his head up, admiring the sturdy creatures spreading their wings proudly, gracing the grey sky.

Returning his gaze to the ground, he notices a thin layer of smoke simmering from the ground and sending the smell of roasted chestnuts into the air; slowly filling his nostrils. He doesn’t hate it, but the smell leaves a distinctive aftertaste; drying his throat.

He is awed over the new world he’s entering, but what catches his attention the most is the carefully decorated pathway, gleaming beautifully all the way till the end, as blooming red apple trees warming up the whole stretch of the walkway; contradicting the whole dim and murky set up.

It is a different world from where he came from, but he never expected the Underworld to look this sleek.

As if able to read his mind, his new acquaintance suddenly broke the silence “So, what do you think about our world?”

Turning around, Donghae carefully replies “Well, it is definitely different from what I imagined it to be.”

“It’s too dreary compared to your flashy world, ne?” the other adds bluntly, arching his thin eyebrows.

Shaking his head, Donghae quickly adds “On the contrary. I find black and red such a dynamic and vibrant combination. The world I came from, which is plainly white, looks so dull in comparison.”

The answer certainly surprised the Death God, but he quickly hides his approving smile with scorn “Well, you better not get used to it. This place is crowded enough, and we certainly do not need wannabe Death God to start flocking around.” Plucking two apples from the tree, he tosses Donghae one before sinking his pearly whites into the fleshy fruit “I’m Kyuhyun.”

Knowing that the other already knows him, Donghae replies with a nod, glad that the other finally warming up to him “Don’t worry; I’m just here to receive my punishment.

“Punishment? What do you mean?” he quirks his perfectly trimmed eyebrows curiously.

Donghae quickly changes the subject “It’s a long story. So, where are we heading?” he asks with his mouth full.

“Heechul is waiting for us. Most probably with your assignment” Kyuhyun’s steps seem to be quickening at the mention of the other Death God. Before Donghae could ask, Kyuhyun voluntarily offers “He’s the substitute leader, a snarky brat. You definitely should stay away from his wrath at all cost.”

“Substitute?” he touches his clean-cut chin, wondering where the real leader is.

He wants to ask further, but their path crosses with another Death God, smirking devilishly “So this is the famous fallen angel you’ll be babysitting.”

“ off” Kyuhyun hisses coldly.

“Well, at least he’s your type” he crosses his arms, flashing his mischievous grin.

Kyuhyun turns around ignoring the other “Come on Donghae, we should not be wasting our time with such lowlife creatures.”

Donghae quickly follows Kyuhyun’s lead, faintly catches the other retorts “Well, at least I’m a full fledged Death God.”

Kyuhyun flashes his middle finger to the Death God named Yesung and walks away, grumbling heatedly to himself.

Sensing the tense atmosphere suddenly engulfing them, Donghae follows closely, hoping his so-called new friend will not be giving him the cold treatment again. And it seems luck was on his side when Kyuhyun starts talking again “I hate that guy. Just because he’s a senior, he thinks he owns the world.”

“What did he mean by full fledged Death God?” Donghae swallows the last bite of the juicy apple, feeling nervous once again at the sight of the looming building.

“There’s a certain number of souls that a Death God needs to collect to become a full fledged messenger” Kyuhyun replies nonchalantly. “And I’m relatively new in this soul collecting business.”

Donghae nods attentively, blurting out “Is that the reason you don’t have wings.”

Kyuhyun laughs heartily at his bluntness “Who need wings, when you can drive expensive ride instead.”

“Eh?”

“Enough chatting. We’re here” Kyuhyun quickly cuts in, slightly shoving Donghae to move forward

Tailing Kyuhyun closely, Donghae feels his heart beat a tad faster as he set his first step on the glass staircase, feeling so small. With long strides, he climbs to the top, enjoying the soft breeze grazing his skin.

“Welcome to The Death God Realm, the Under World” Kyuhyun announces impassively, entering the building with such an air of authority. The other Death Gods turn around, staring at the new, out of place guy, who seems too busy admiring his new surroundings.

Donghae gushes in awe at the rich silver and gold interior, at every corner of the hall “This is amazing.”

Pulling Donghae’s sleeves, Kyuhyun leads them to the centre of the hall, to a golden elevator door. As they stepped directly in front of it, the door opened smoothly. A petite girl dressed in red leather suit smiles sweetly at Kyuhyun “Haven’t seen you around.”

A small, knowing smirk appears on Kyuhyun’s defined lips, gesturing Donghae to step in “Things have been crazy lately.”

The girl chuckles to herself before pointing to the bronze buttons “Of course. So, where are you taking your new friend?”

“Top floor please. We’re here to see Heechul” Kyuhyun takes a step back, leaning away from the girl.

She nods politely and pressed 666 as soon as the door shuts.

Donghae hopes it to be a long ride; enough for him to gather his courage. Unfortunately the elevator door opens with a thud, almost in a blink of an eye. Donghae feels his stomach flip.

Kyuhyun pats the girl’s shoulder slightly, before pulling Donghae out of the confined space into a narrow corridor. His eyes wander again, noticing a huge door at the end of the long pathway. The floor was eerily quiet, with only their footsteps echoing blandly.

“She’s sweet. Are you guys seeing each other?”Donghae asks conversationally, an attempt to hide his nervousness. It’s not working though, as he stumbles with his words.

“Her ‘other form’ is not sweet at all. And for the record, we don’t do relationship” Kyuhyun denies with a straight face, ending the conversation instantly.

As they neared the door, a guy clad in grey double ed suit, seen leaning on the door frame. With his expressionless eyes, he stares at both of them “You guys are late.”

Donghae rarely forgets a face and he’s absolutely sure Kyuhyun is the first Under World messenger he has ever met. But for some reason, he finds the other beautiful stranger, familiar.

“He got lost” lying has always been one of Kyuhyun’s specialties; slapping Donghae’s back roughly, flashing his trademark smirk “So, is Heechul in a good mood?”

Ignoring Kyuhyun’s question and his supposed dazzling smile, the guy pushes the heavy door open, revealing an artistically designed office; completed with solid wood table, dark brown leather sofa, mini bar and a small library. In a corner of the room, guy was sitting comfortably on the leather couch, sipping a mysterious looking cocktail.

“So, this is the infamous guardian angel, throwing the Angel’s Realm protected by Kangta and Zhoumi duo in chaos” he carefully places his drink down, eyeing Donghae up and down, before gracefully signals Donghae, to sit next to him.

Bowing slightly at the man he assumed known as Heechul, Donghae then settles across the guy. At a glance, he looks harmless, but Donghae could clearly see the devilish glint gleaming from his eyes.

“You look so tense. Relax. Anyone who could drive Kangta and Zhoumi crazy is a friend of mine. Any drinks?” the guy asks earnestly, snapping his fingers to the other “Siwon, can you get our guest, a drink.”

“It’s okay. I’m good” Donghae quickly adds, averting his gaze anxiously, trying not to freak out.

“Kyuhyun, make yourself useful and get me The Eye” he orders blatantly, pointing to the wooden table at the other corner. Mumbling to himself, Kyuhyun rushes to his task and returns in an instant, holding a thin device.

“I have your files here” he picks the device and starts clicking it. Seeing Donghae’s curious stares, he stops and explains. “The humans call this the iPad. We call them The Eye; information at your fingertips. Are you guys using these as well?”

Donghae shakes his head “I’m sure Zhoumi has one, but since Kangta is against any sort of technology, calling them the devil’s work, I don’t think we’ll be using such gadgets anytime soon.”

”It’s not a surprise. I can’t understand how Zhoumi can stand him.” Again, Heechul lifts his drinks and slowly sips it dry “Anyway, Zhoumi has sent your files yesterday, but I prefer to get the full story from you. Will you share with us?”

Feeling cornered, Donghae breaths deeply, looking at the other expectant faces “I used to be a cupid. But for some reason my memories were erased, and they repositioned me as a guardian angel instead, assigned to ensure the peace and tranquility in the Angels world. I’m mostly in-charge of schedules and meetings. Everything was good at first, but after years stuck in the same job, I got bored and start doing things my way.”

“But that was not the reason Zhoumi sent you to us, right?” Heechul interrupts with a smug expression, signaling Kyuhyun and the guy called Siwon to sit with them. Kyuhyun sits next to Donghae while Siwon settles next to Heechul.

Sighing silently, Donghae nods at the remark. “I hate humans. After years serving them, showering them with love, I find them full of selfishness, vengeance and hatred. I utterly despise them.”

It might be a grim moment of truth, for Donghae, but instead of empathy, Heechul laughs hysterically at the revelation “You belong here. I’ll be happy to draft you a contract to work with us.”

Fortunately for Donghae, the other guy takes over, tapping Heechul’s shoulder firmly “Heechul, that’s not happening.” Then he turns to Donghae and adds bitterly “We are not recruiting any Angels, even those who don’t appreciate their job anymore.”

“And I’m not here for a job interview either” Donghae barks defensively.

Siwon nods and a thin line spread on his lips “Good, coz we are not offering any.” He then stands and walks over to the ceiling-high book shelves, retrieving a small envelope from its drawer. “The reason we accepted your case from Zhoumi is simply to return an old favor. He believes that you’re a kind soul that got a bit lost. I’m not sure how his crazy mind really works, but he thinks we might able to help you. To tell you the truth, we don’t give a .”

He’s usually good at keeping his temper, but somehow the guy’s words hurt him inside. Glaring angrily at the guy, Donghae gets on his feet “And you know what, I don’t really need your help either.”

His voice strains, he wants to walk out, but Kyuhyun pulls him back forcefully.

Heechul, with the same haughty smile, walks to Donghae’s side and playfully circled his arms around him “Feisty. I really like you.” Then he holds his free hand out, requesting the envelope from Siwon “You have to forgive Siwon. He’s all work, no fun type. He’s the one who accepted your case from Zhoumi and now he’s acting all tough and cold.”

It doesn’t matter, he doesn’t care, staring blankly at the glass table in front him, he bitterly adds “I really don’t need anyone’s help.”

“Of course you don’t. But it would not hurt for you to listen to my proposal wouldn’t it? It’s quite simple. All you need to do is to assist 2 lost souls return to the afterlife” Heechul opens the envelope and pulls the so-called ‘The Eye’ out and places it on Donghae’s open palms. “You need to complete this task in 60 days.”

Eyeing the guy suspiciously “And, what do I get from it?”

“I’ll grant you one wish, anything within my power” Heechul paused dramatically “I can even retrieve your sealed memories.” Heechul flashes him his dazzling smile.

“And, if I fail?” Donghae hesitantly asks.

“You’ll be working for me” Heechul gingerly squeezes Donghae’s toned shoulder, noting the emotions he just aroused, knowing Donghae will soon be his new puppet.

 

********************** Stay tune for more *********************