Kris's new life

Of Friendship and Trouble

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today is the day. The day for Kris Wu’s new life. New life. That’s supposed to be a good thing, right? Well, not for Kris Wu’s ed up life.

 

 

 

“Kris, congratulations because you’ve made it until the last day of this program. We hope you’ll stay clean after this. If you have problem, you can visit us anytime here. Here, you can ask for advice at our counselor.” The head of the rehab centre smiled proudly at me and shook my hand. I smiled back and nodded at him. “Thank you, sir.”

My friends who I met here hugged me and bid goodbyes.

As I was hugging one of my friends, I looked up and saw my family at the parking lot. I grinned at them. God, I missed them a lot. I haven’t seen them for like a year. Yoona, my noona, grinned back at me and jumped up and down while waving excitedly at me. I chuckled a bit; she’s still childish as ever.

Dad slung an arm around Mom’s shoulder and smiled proudly at me. My smile faltered when my gaze went to Mom; she pushed Dad’s hand off her, couldn’t hide her frown as she saw me and went inside the car.

This is the downfall of Kris’s new life. He will lose her beloved mother.

Yoona noona and Dad smiled apologetically at me. I picked up my luggage and went to them.

“I’m so proud of you.” Dad patted my back a bit awkwardly.

“My tower dongsaengie~ I miss you!! Huhuhuhu~” Noona cried dramatically and wrapped her arms around my neck. I laughed and hugged her back.

“Did you get taller? Why you can reach your arms around my neck?” I asked after we broke the hug.

“The power of high heels.” She smiled smugly and wiggled her right feet a bit, showing off her red, shiny high heels.  Dad and I chuckled at her childishness.

After putting my luggage into the back trunk, we went inside the car.

“Mom.” I greeted her stiffly, bowing my head slightly.

“Hmm.” Mom just grunted as response. A huge pang of pain stung my chest at Mom’s cold response.

Dad sighed and started the car, driving back home.

Noona took my hand, slightly squeezed it in reassurance.

“I’m okay.” I mouthed at her. She just stared at me, knowing perfectly that I’m totally the opposite of ‘okay’. I gave her a fake smile and turned to stare into nothing at the window.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the maid, or what I usually call her comfortably, *imo gets my luggage to my room, I stared around the house weirdly. Dad already went to his office room while Mom to their bedroom.

“Are you searching for something?” Noona asked.

“Where are all the other maids? I thought we have like 4 of them. Why I only see imo?” I raised my eyebrows. “Did Mom give them a day off? Wow, Mom never let them rest anyways.”

 Noona sighed and was about to answer my question but we suddenly heard Dad’s shouting to someone.

“What? I told you I don’t have any money anymore! What?! Sells my cars?! Are you crazy?”

We both looked at Dad’s office room. Noona sighed again. I stared at her “Explain?”

“Dongsaeng-ah, Dad’s broke. His company shares went down and they have a lot of problem in the company. Dad’s already fired 3 of our maids. Mom’s only letting imo stays here because she didn’t have any relatives anymore or place to stay at.” Noona sighed for the umpteenth times and massaged her temples, rambling like crazy. She talked too fast when she’s tired or facing problems. She looked at me and said “We’re broke, Wu Fan.” I stay silent for a bit, speechless. This is all too much for me to process. Mom’s being distant. Dad’s broke. I thought today was going to be the happiest day of my life.

“I’m sorry you have to come back home, seeing all this trouble.”

“No, it’s not your fault. Everything will be okay.” I said, giving her a small smile. She nodded and smiled “Yeah. Everything will be okay.”

But we both know that’s only words of reassurance. Words will take you nowhere.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hurry up, Wu Fan! Our relatives are already here!” I heard Mom shouted.

“A minute!” I shouted back. I was standing in front of the toilet bowl, staring at the familiar pills that I used to take before the program. I found it in my CD case, the place where I usually hide these things. I fought the temptation to swallow that thing that ruins my life.

I quickly throw it into the toilet bowl and flushed it. I sighed in relief. I snapped out of my dazed when I heard knocking at the door.

“Wu Fan, what are you doing in there?” I heard Mom’s voice. I quickly get out from the toilet.

“Nothing, Mom.” I mumbled. “Let’s go.”

“You are not taking drugs again, right?” Mom stared at me in suspicions.

“Mom.” I muttered out in shock. “After you threw me at that rehab centre do you think that I would do such things again? I’ve changed, Mom. Can’t you see it? Do you have so little trust on me?” I asked in disbelief.

“Wu Fan, I was just-“ Mom started but I cut her off. I’m so annoyed with her never ending suspicions towards me when I’m alone for a long time in my room. Heck, she didn’t even let me locked the door at night when I’m sleeping. What if some burglar or some woman-freak come at me and try to me in my sleeps? Ignore my imaginations. I’m just saying ‘What if?’

“Forget it. Just let’s go and meet with our so-called-long-distant relatives.” I muttered the last part only enough for me to hear while rolling my eyes and went downstairs.

 I give my aunt and uncle a smile and bowed at them.

“Annyeonghaseyo, aunt and uncle.” The both hugged me.

“How have you been?” She asked, her voice loud than usual.

“I’m good.” I answered, smiling.

“WHAAAT?!” She leaned her left ear towards me.

“I AM GOOOOOOOOD.” I answered in louder voice. My aunt is a little bit deaf. No, seriously, I meant that as literally, not joking. After an accident that took away her hearing sense, she’s now using a hearing device to help her to hear well. But in my opinion, that device is not helping at all. She’s still talk as loud as ever.

“OOH, THAT’S GOOD.” My aunt nodded. I heard my only cousin, Sunny laughed at our comical conversations. I just glared at her and she stuck out her tongue in response.

“This is so popcorn-needed-show” I heard her mumbled, still snickering.

“Aigooo, you are so handsome and tall now. You are looking so mature too. When you are 10, you used to cry like crazy when Sunkyu steal your power ranger toys. Do you remember?” My aunt grinned. And honestly my ears are a bit hurt because she talks too loud.

“I did??” I furrowed my eyebrows in confusions. “Oh yeah. I did. Aherherher.” I laughed awkwardly. Honestly, I don’t even remember anything -.-