1

Too Little, Too Late

'Taemin ah.... are you alseep?'

'Yeonwoo? Is that you?'

'I'm scared oppa. I had a nightmare. Can I sleep with you tonight?'

'Of course you can my little love.' 

6 year old Yeonwoo climed into Taemin's bed. The Taemin you grew up with. The Taemin that piggy backed you from your parents funeral back home. That Taemin's heart was warm. Safe. Like your own personal heaven. 

'I love you oppa.' You said to the 7 year old boy that was holding you in his arms. 

'I love you too Yeonwoo. I always will. Even after we grow old and become shrivled up. I'll still love you. Always.' With those words you fell asleep.

*I'll always love you..............*

4 years later

'Owiee!! Wahh! Oww!!' You cried out loudly after falling of the monkey bars at a familiar park. 

'Yeonwoo! What happened?!' Taemin rushed over to you the 11 year old scrunched up his eyebrows worridly. 

'Oww! It hurts oppa It hurts alot!!' You cried tears falling from your face. Tears that broke Taemin's heart apart. 

'Let's get you healed my little love.' Taemin led you into your home and bandaged the scrape on your knee.

'There. All better!' You smiled brightly and tightly hugged him. 

'I love you oppa!' 

'I love you too Yeonwoo. I always will.'

8 years later

Your hands shook and your legs felt like jelly.

*This is it!* Yout hought. *12 years of horrible schooling. 4 years of trecherous high school and now it's all over!* You cheered to yourself. You heard the other people's names being called up by the old principle that stood on the side of the stage. Finally he reached the Kims. And then a name was called right before yours. 

'Kim Jong In!' You held onto your best friends' hand and gave it a little squeeze. 

'Congrats Kai!' You whispered happily. He flashed his trademark smile at you.

'You're next Yeonwoo. Don't trip over a wire. Or maybe your own feet.'

You hit Kai playfully as he walked onto the stage to recieve his highschool diploma. Then you were next.

'Kim Yeonwoo!' The principle said. You excitedly jumped from your seat and walked up onto the stage. Much to Kai's dismay you didn't trip at all and when you went to stand next to him he laced his fingers with yours. 

'Congratulations Yeonwoo. You've officially graduated from hell.' The two of you chuckled at Kai's joke. You waited patiently for the rest of the students to be called up while scanning the crowd for that one person. He said he would come. He said that no matter how busy he was with dance practice he would come. But when you looked out to every single one of the seats in the crowd he wasn't there. You pouted a bit and thought to yourself.

*He lied. Again. I hate you oppa.*

Kai's P.O.V.

*She's looking for him again. But he's not here. Taemin hyung said that he was busy with dance practice getting ready for SHINee's comeback. What a liar. He's out on a date with Sulli noona. Instead of being here for Yeonwoo. He chose Sulli over her. Lee Taemin you liar.* Kai's blood started to boiul and he clenched one of his two fists together leaving the other hand that held yours rest normally. 

*Kim Yeonwoo why are you so worried about Taemin hyung? Can't me being here with you be enought? Can't I be enough for you to be happy? I love you Kim Yeonwoo. I always will.* 

2 years later

Your P.O.V.

That day I cried. Alot. A bit too much. But he still wasn't there to consolidate me. Taemin oppa wasn't there. Because he chose her over me. It's bee like that for years now. I feel so empty now. Like I have to one. After Taemin's parents died I was his only family and he was mine. But now I've realized something. That in his heart I rank last. Maybe I always have. Maybe the words "I'll love you always" were just whispers I heard from the wind. He doesn't love me.

'*Taemin oppa...... I hate you.*

3 months later

'Yeonwoo! Yeonwoo ah! Wake up please I'm begging you don't die on me! You're a strong girl! You always were so strong now wake up!' Kai held onto your shoulders shaking your dead cracass back and forth. Just then some one barged into the room loudly and pushed Kai aside. Taemin slowly dragged his feet over your body. His eyes were with tears. 

'Yeonwoo ah.... Yeonwoo c'mon. Stop playing with me....' Taemin knelt down so his head was at the same level as yours.

'This isn't funny. We're not kids anymore! Kim Yeon woo!' Taemin broke down in tears when Kai slipped a piece of paper into his hands, keeping a different one for himself. Taemin looked up to Kai questioning his action. Instead of answering him Kai just turned his back and walked out of the room into the lonley halls. He opened the neatly folded note, gave it a look, and then closed it without reading it's contents. Kai closed his eyes and gave a long sigh. 

*I couldn't tell her. I didn't even get the chance to tell her how much I loved her. She just left.* Kai thought. *Because she didn't love me. Because she's never had those feelings for me. Never. Ever. He walked over to a trash can and held your not over it. But no matter how hard he tried to let go.... he couldn't. 

*I'll read it..... then throw it out.* Kai thought then he started.

Yah.... Kim Jong In. You were about to throw my letter away right? Shame on you! Kai chuckled a little to himself. *Of course she'd be able to predict my actions. She always have been able to read my mind like an opened book.* 

Anyways.... are you sad? Maybe you are. Maybe you aren't. I'm sorry Kai. For not telling you. We were just so.... happy together. How could I go and ruin that? I'm sorry. To me our friendship was more important than my sickness. No matter how much it hurt me when I was around you. I was able to bear it. Because in this life Kai, you were my strength. My power. And the reason I wake up every morning. And.... There's something else I'm sorry for. For not telling you.... how much...... you meant to me. Do you mind if I tell you now? Here I go. I'm only going to say this once. This letter is going to be the only copy to my confession to you so keep it safe. Kim Jong In... I.... Kim Yeonwoo...... Loves you. With a half of my heart. Your eyes, your smile, your dancing, your velvetly seductive voice I love it all. Your mad expression, your crying face, and the insults you throw at me with all the good and bad little things in between. Kai I love them and I love you. But there's someone else. He's the other half of my heart. Maybe you can guess who he is. He was my childhood friend and guy you saw me love all my life. You must want to know the reason why me and you weren't a couple before I died. He was the reason. Because he was too important to me. I couldn't choose you Kai but even though I didn't I still want you to know that I'll love you. Forever. Even after this sickness kills me. Even after I die I'll love you. 

                                                                                                                                                                          Signed : Kim Yeonwoo

Kai looked at your letter for a moment and then started to break down crying.

*She loved me. She really did love me! Yeonwoo ah..... why couldn't you tell me this earlier?! If you did then you wouldn't have been so lonley in this suffocating hospital! You wouldn't have been alone when you died.*

Sometimes love slips through your finger tips without you even noticing it. And then it becomes too late...... To have it again..... Simply.......Way......

Too Late.  

Taemin heard Kai sobbing from inside the room. He held your cold hands and the tears soaked the crevices of your fingers. The note you wrote for him was crushed in between his tightened fist until they gave him a paper cut that made him remember your last written words to him. He slowly opened the folded sheet of paper like it was as delicate as a snowflake. 

Oppa.... Kai must have given you this note right? Or did the nurse give it to you because you were here first after my death? Are you sitting next to my body? Am I pretty? I've always loved when you told me that I was pretty. But these days you've been to busy with Sulli noona to think of me at all. I missed you oppa. I missed the love of my life. Did you ever love me Taemin oppa? Because I loved you. Alot. You were just too dense to notice pabo. I hate it. I hate that I loved you. I hate that I loved you so much I let Kai go. I hate you. But i love you too oppa. Don't worry this isn't a letter to put you through a guilt trip. Just take my death as a lesson. Don't let things that are small seem insignificant to you. I love you oppa. I did when we were little and I still do now. 

                                                                                                                                                                             Signed : Kim Yeonwoo

Taemin's hands trembeled as he regretted all the pain he put you through. He had always loved you. Sulli.... his his stupid jealously tactic but you never seemed to show any jealous reaction. 

*We would have been so happy. It's all my fault Yeonwoo ah. You've loved me all along directly saying that you loved me. I was too dense to knotice the romance behind your words. All..... those little things. I'm sorry.... my little love* 

Things past by too fast in life and you missed the little details. But just remember, little things make a difference. Love is no exception.