Lost Eternity

Lost Eternity

 

“Still daydreaming, Jonghyun?”

I look up at Onew-hyung’s voice; he sits down next to me, slinging an arm over my shoulder, “Why do you look so glum?”

I stare downwards, locking my fingers as I replied softly, “You know why, hyung.”

Onew’s bright countenance changes; his expression becoming more serious, more sympathetic as he grasps my arm tightly, “You can’t keep on thinking about that, Jonghyun. It’s not healthy, and all of us are worried for you. Even Taemin!”

Even the maknae? I look up, my eyes meeting Taemin’s. Too quickly, he looks away. My lips curve into a bitter smile, “Even the maknae’s worried about me now. Some hyung I am.”

“When a person spends a whole week locked up in his room, weeping and barely eating or drinking, it’s hard not to be worried.” Key sits down on my other side, “Seriously, she’s not worth it, all right?”

Not worth it? But I loved her. I loved her, more than I’d loved anyone else in my life.

I force a smile, “Yeah, sure. I’m fine now, honestly, so there’s no need to worry about me.”

Both Onew and Key nod, but neither looks convinced.

Minho came over, glancing at his watch as he spoke, “We should go now, or we’ll end up being late.”

I stand up, slinging my bag over my shoulder, when Key suddenly grabs me, “You know what, why don’t you stay here tonight. We can tell them that you’re sick, so you couldn’t make it.”

I smile gratefully at him, taking his hand off my shoulder, “Kibum, I’m really fine. Besides, it’s Fany’s birthday, and you know what she’s like when it comes to birthdays. She’ll kill me for not turning up.”

“…I’m sure she would understand.” Taemin murmurs quietly; the maknae’s eyes are sympathetic as he gazes at me, “I’m sure they’d all understand.”

There is a brief pause as all four of them stare at me. Taking a deep breath, I force another smile. It seemed that I was doing that all the time, nowadays, “I said I’ll be fine. It would just look weak, not turning up.”

Minho nods, understanding, but the others still look worried. They always seem to be worried around me, ever since that night.

There is a sudden beeping noise, and everyone jumps. Then Onew laughs in relief, “It’s just my phone.” He checks it for a moment, “Manager-hyung’s downstairs, let’s go meet him.”

The others file out of the door, but I hesitate, staring down at my finger.

The ring. Our ring.

Unable to help myself, I laugh bitterly. Why was I still keeping it on my hand? It was worthless, now. Meaningless, now that she’d probably thrown hers away.

So why is it so hard for me to just take it off?

I bit my lip, my left hand hovering over my right as I deliberated.

I hadn’t seen her since that night. What would she think, if she saw me still wearing it? That I couldn’t let go? That I was a fool, clinging hopelessly onto the past?

My fingers clench around the ring, as I prepared to pull it off.

“Jonghyun, let’s go! Hurry up!” Key’s voice calls from outside.

“Coming!” I call back, as I hurry out of the door before locking it and joining my bandmates in manager-hyung’s car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car screechs to a halt, as Key jumps out with a wild yell. There is a general laugh as everyone sees the diva Key making one of his grand entrances, but I am grateful. I manage to get out of the car quietly, sneak to a quiet corner and sit down on a bench before anyone notices me.

Or perhaps I hadn’t been as inconspicuous as I thought. 2PM’s Wooyoung and Taeyeon-noona are making their way towards me, arm in arm. I bite back a sigh at having to face Wooyoung-sshi. Or perhaps it was the thought of being faced by another happy couple that hurt.

Taeyeon’s eyes are filled with the same sympathy I’ve seen in those of so many others, and she gripped me by the shoulder, “I’m so sorry, Jonghyun.”

“It’s not your fault, noona. I’m fine, anyway.”

Taeyeon hesitates, as if wondering what else she could say, when Wooyoung-sshi speaks up, “Taeyeon-ah, can you let me speak to Jonghyun-sshi in private?”

Taeyeon stares at him, mouthing something that I cannot tell. But he just laughs, “Relax, I won’t bite him. Now go on.” He gives Taeyeon-noona a little push towards where Fany and the other SNSD members are.

My eyes narrow slightly. Not all the SNSD members. She isn’t there. And neither, I notice, as I look over all the people Fany had invited, is he.

“Looking for Jessica and Taec?” Wooyoung asks.

I cough uncomfortably, “Is there something you need, Wooyoung-sshi?”

“…I figured he wouldn’t be likely to say this to you, so I’ll say it in his stead. I’m sorry, Jonghyun-sshi. Sorry about what Taecyeon did. I should have watched him better, told him not to do such an thing-”

“It’s not your fault either. It’s no one’s fault, really. Except fate. Maybe. But thank you for the thought.” I interrupt him, “And you don’t have to worry about me. Because I’m really fine. I’m moving on.”

Lies.

Wooyoung’s face isn’t so sure, but he just nods, “I hope you do. Find someone else, Jonghyun-sshi, and be happy again.” He claps me on the shoulder, then leaves to find Taeyeon-noona again.

I exhale deeply, collapsing back onto the bench. Leaning my head back, I close my eyes. At last. Blessed peace.

There is a sudden cheer from behind, and I hear Key shouting, “Come on, guys! Now that everyone’s here, let’s gift our Fany with a birthday song!”

There is laughter as everyone shuffles closer around Fany and the birthday cake. With a small smile, I push myself up and walk over to join them.

And that is when I see them.

Hand in hand, walking towards the crowd, looking like the perfect couple with their blissful smiles.

I thought we were meant for each other.

She doesn’t even see me; their eyes are completely focused on one another. Tiffany shoves her, “Yah, Jessica Jung! Stop looking like a bunch of lovebirds absorbed in your own world when it’s MY birthday party!”

She laughs, but her eyes don’t look away from his, “Sorry, Fany, but I can’t help it, when my boyfriend’s such a good-looking guy!”

The words are like a dagger, stabbing straight into my heart. I nearly double over in agony. I thought I’d cried myself dry of tears, but seeing them together again, the tears cannot help but come to my eyes.

You said we’d be together. That we’d grow old together. Why did you lie?

My eyes are dazed, and I can barely hear them as they sing the birthday song for Fany. All I can hear is the words she had spoken that night, those words that had brought my world down around me.

“I’m sick of you! I’m sick of your over-protectiveness, sick of you constantly hovering around me! I don’t love you anymore, okay? It’s Taecyeon-oppa whom I want to be with now, so just leave me alone, Kim Jonghyun!”

Before I know it, the song is over, and the crowd is breaking up again. I stumble back to my corner, blinking my tears away. I nearly make it.

“Jonghyun! I thought you weren’t here!”

I force myself to turn around to face Tiffany and her bright smile; it fades slightly at the sight of my expression, “Jonghyun, are you all right”

“Fine.” I manage to choke out one word, but the sadness in me is rising, almost spilling over.

“Fany, Taec and I have to leave now, we left your present on-” Jessica’s voice stops abruptly as she catches sight of me.

Fany spins around, alarm written over her face. She shoots me a panicked glance, but I have composed myself.

“Hello, Jonghyun.” Taecyeon’s voice is deep, and his smile unpleasant. But I ignore him. He doesn’t matter. It is Jessica whom I look at, my gaze almost accusing.

You promised you would be with me forever.

“It’s been a while, Jonghyun.” Jessica forces out the basic pleasantries as her eyes scan me. They stop on my fingers, noticing the ring, and her eyes flicker back up to meet mine. I look down at her fingers.

She is not wearing her ring.

You broke your promise. You lied to me.

Her smile is fake, almost plastic, “Well, I’ll see you guys next time. Come on, oppa.” She pulls Taecyeon away, her eyes not meeting mine.

There is a long silence as Tiffany’s eyes travel from me to Jessica, and then back again. She coughs uncomfortably, “Oh, look! I see Wooyoung-oppa! I…um…I’m just going to say hi…” She zooms off.

Key comes over, his expression concerned. He must have seen the exchange. He claps me on the back, “You all right, Jonghyun? Do you want to head back?”

I manage a nod. My throat doesn’t seem to be working properly anymore.

He glances around, looking for the other SHINee members, and waves them over, “I’ll bring Jonghyun back first, he’s…he’s not feeling so well.”

Onew stops him, “It’s all right, Key. I know you want to party. I’ll take care of Jonghyun.”

There is a pause as Key hesitates, looking down at me. Then he nods, “Thanks, leader.”

Taemin leans over to me, “Just go home and rest, okay, hyung? And get well again.”

I smile at the cute maknae, ruffling his hair. Onew takes me by the hand, as if afraid that I am too fragile to walk, but I do not protest.

As we get into manager-hyung’s car, I pull the ring off, and let it fall. I watch as it hits the ground, the impact too soft to be heard.

Enough. I am moving on. I may have lost an eternity with you, but that doesn’t mean I have lost happiness forever. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

...This seems a bit overkill now that I read it over once...Anyway, here's the oneshot! I hope you readers enjoyed it. I was a really angsty mood when I wrote this, having just finished watching You Are the Apple of My Eye. >< I had a hard time writing through my tears. 

Essentially this is written from Jonghyun's point of view, about how he copes with meeting Jessica for the first time after she breaks up with him. Also, it's hinted in the story that Jessica was cheating on Jonghyun with Taecyeon. I tried to end it on a hopeful note, so that it wouldn't be too angsty, and I think I managed to pull it off...

Oh well. Once again i hope you readers enjoyed this oneshot, and remember to comment on how you found it!