The search

The Man who never Dies

So Eun stumbled over to the kitchen where her mother was making tea.

"Umma?" So Eun held onto the kitchen table unsteadily, wiping away her tears. Her emotions were still caught up in Daehyun's life story and she couldn't snap out of it. It felt like deja vu, hearing everything.

Mrs Kim turned around and she raised her brows at her daughter. She blinked a few times as she took in her daughter's appearance and bit her lip in concern. "So Eun, have you been crying?"

So Eun wiped her cheeks again. The thing about being too fair was that when you cried, it was exceptionally obvious.

"Just..a little emotional." So Eun mumbled, wringing her hands. "Daehyun told me a story that was really touching."

Mrs Kim's brows rose higher. Daehyun telling a story? Wow. But she couldn't help a little smile when she thought of how Daehyun was finally making a move. Talking to her daughter and moving her with words, not bad of a strategy, she concluded.

"What story was it about anyway?" Mrs Kim asked, interested as she dipped the tea bag into the water.

So Eun shuffled on the spot. "About...a curse. A pair of lovers where the guy can't ever die and the girl always does. About how the guy has to live centuries and centuries to try save her from dying." she felt tears welling in her eyes once again. "A story like that."

Mrs Kim nodded. "That sounds really sad." she sighed softly. "If there was really a guy like that, it would be really hard on him don't you think? Imagine living so many years, centuries, you say? It must have been lonely."

So Eun nodded. Exactly. She glanced up at her room where she knew Daehyun was still in, and she let out a little sigh. Oh Daehyun...

"Anyway," So Eun snapped out of it. "I just wanted to ask where the phonebook was. I need it, umma."

"Phonebook?" Mrs Kim tapped her chin trying to recall. "I think it's in the storeroom. I can get it out if you want it. Why do you need a phonebook anyway?" she put down her cup of tea and moved towards the storeroom.

So Eun followed after her mother, biting her lips. "Nothing. I just need it."

-----

Daehyun sighed as he watched So Eun squint at the tiny words printed on the phonebook, looking through every one.

So Eun really lived up to her words. She said she would help him find his fiance and she was really doing everything she could to help.

However, little did she know that whatever she did, she would never find the girl Daehyun was talking about. Because Kim Sohyun, Daehyun's fiance, she didn't even exist. The girl So Eun was looking for was right there in the reflection when she stood in front of a mirror.

She had dragged him off after school ended that day, trying to help him find which Kim Sohyun was his Kim Sohyun.

"Wow." So Eun frowned as she poured over the book. "There is a total of 107 Kim Sohyuns living in Seoul itself. If your Sohyun lives out of Seoul, there might be thousands of Kim Sohyuns we have to find." she bit her lip.

She felt a little depressed at the thought of it but she didn't want to give up. The love story of Daehyun and his fiance was too beautiful, So Eun HAD to help them.

Even if she felt a little unsettled at the prospect of Daehyun loving someone else.

"I told you, I don't need your help." Daehyun muttered. They were sitting at the park bench again and So Eun was trying to pick up the number of Kim Sohyuns they had to find. "I can find her myself."

"If you could, you wouldn't be staying in my house doing nothing productive!" So Eun huffed. "Daehyun, don't you want to save her? You love her, don't you?"

"More than anything." Daehyun looked away, sighing softly. "I love her too much, but so? If she didn't love me, it would be for the best."

"She doesn't even have a chance of loving you if you don't even find her." So Eun cried out, frustrated. "Daehyun, you're being uncooperative. We have to find your Kim Sohyun before it's too late, right? Come on."

Daehyun let himself be dragged off as So Eun pulled him towards the bus stop. He sighed softly, rubbing his temples.

The only thing he could do right now was to go along with So Eun's plan, disappointing her every single time she tried to find Kim Sohyun. He hoped she would give up soon.

 

 

 

Daehyun and So Eun stood in front of an apartment house, hesitating slightly as So Eun nudged Daehyun. "Yah, ring the doorbell."

"Why should I?" Daehyun retorted. "You're the one who dragged me here. I didn't want to be here."

"Excuse me?" So Eun frowned. "One minute your this passionate lover who wants to save his girl and now you're being a wet blanket. How annoying. A Kim Sohyun lives here, you know. Maybe she's the one! You just need to see her face and we'll know. Oh?" she tugged at his sleeve.

Daehyun sighed when he saw her expression. He couldn't say no when she looked like that.

He nodded and So Eun brightened, running over to ring the doorbell. They waited a few moments anxiously till an ahjumma opened the door. She peered at So Eun and Daehyun with raised brows. "Who are you looking for?"

"Uhm is Kim Sohyun at home?" So Eun finally spoke up when Daehyun never said anything.

"Sohyun?" The ahjumma raised her brows. "What do you want with my grand daughter?"

"Grand...daughter?" Daehyun and So Eun chorused.

"Halmeoni!" a girl of around four years old came running out of the house. "Halmeoni I want to eat cookies." she tugged on the ahjumma's pants.

"Sohyun, wait a minute. I'm talking to someone." the ahjumma picked up the girl. She eyed Daehyun and So Eun with raised brows and So Eun glanced at Daehyun. Daehyun cleared his throat. "Sorry, I got the wrong house." he muttered.

He grabbed So Eun's hand and quickly pulled her out of there. So Eun stumbled after him and scratched her head. "Could that little girl be the Kim Sohyun?"

Daehyun shot her a look. "No. I know how my girl looks like, even if she's young alright. That little girl is cute but she's nothing compared to my girl." he muttered.

So Eun sighed softly as she followed after him. Disappointment that they didn't find Kim Sohyun. Envy, that some other girl out there had Daehyun's ultimate affections.

She fell in step with him as she flipped through the phone book again. "Another Kim Sohyun lives near here. Let's go find her." she dragged him off again.

Daehyun shook his head as he followed her, rubbing his temples. "Aish."

-----

The two of them had visited a total of four houses that day. A four year old Kim Sohyun, a halmeoni Kim Sohyun, two teenage Kim Sohyuns in their early teens.

Daehyun had denied every one of them as being HIS Kim Sohyun and his emotionless expression never changed when he saw the girls. So Eun held hopes that they found HER every single time, but it wasn't.

So Eun felt like they were finding a needle in a haystack. How was she supposed to know how Daehyun's Sohyun looked like. She could look like Kim Taehee or even Jung Juri. She really had no idea.

"How am I supposed to help you find Kim Sohyun if I don't even know how she looks like?" So Eun finally asked when Daehyun and her returned home. She followed him into his room and plopped onto his bed, hugging his pillow.

Daehyun sat on his bed and pushed her away, snuggling into the soft covers. So Eun let out a huff and sat at the foot of his bed, lying down and resting her head on his knee. Daehyun jerked but So Eun rested her head there stubbornly.

He sighed and let her stay there, playing with the ends of her hair subtly.

"Can't you draw?" So Eun asked. "Draw how she looks like. At least so I know how to find her. I know girls over 18 will be out of the picture but it's still hard you know."

Daehyun let her soft hair slither through his fingers. "I can't draw well." Lie.

"Try?" So Eun murmured. "Or describe. How does she look like, exactly? Was she very beautiful? How was her personality like?"

Daehyun gazed at her tenderly as she closed her eyes, positioning her head more comfortably against his knees. "She's beautiful, of course." he murmured. "At least to me. I think in today's standards, with plastic surgery, make up and things like that, the standard being brought up by girls like SNSD, she's considered above average but not stunningly beautiful." he admitted honestly while gazing at her features.

"But she's beautiful to me because she doesn't cover her face with makeup, because her smiles are bright and pretty." Daehyun's hand hovered above her face. "She has eyes that twinkle with mischief, an attractive character personality. She's witty and smart when she wants to be and even though she's no muscle man, she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself because she's wise beyond her age. But then I like her small laspes of vulnerability because then I know I can protect her."

Daehyun retracted his hand, gazing at her sleeping face. Was she really asleep?

"I love her so much." he whispered. "Too much, that's why it's hard to avoid her. That's why every time she dies, I feel like I died  as well. I love yo-"

He faltered when So Eun moved on his lap, his heart thudding hard. She groaned slightly and turned to her side, hugging his leg. "So envious." she murmured, wrinkling her nose. "Envious..."

Daehyun leaned over to inspect her. "So Eun?" he whispered. "Are you awake?"

So Eun didn't say anything as she continued sleeping, hugging his leg tighter. Daehyun reached out to smooth her hair and he let out a small sigh. "You gave me a heart attack." he muttered.

*I love you.* Daehyun kissed his finger tips and pressed his fingers to her forehead. *Please live on this time.*

 

 

 

------

Okay I realized a lot of you are talking about how I said the larger the wound, the faster it heals. Perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough.

Realize I say "faster" which means rate. It isn't the actual time taken to heal the entire wound, but the rate at which it's recovering.

For example wound A is twice the size of wound B. The total time taken for wound A to heal is still longer than wound B even though it's larger. Why?

Taking into consideration that when wound A reaches the size of wound B, the rate of healing will also slow because now the wound is getting smaller. This means that the time taken for wound A (Ta) to heal is the time taken for wound B to heal (Tb) plus the time taken for wound A to reduce to the size of wound B (Ta-b).

This only means that Ta is NOT double of Tb BUT it is still larger.

The larger the wound the faster THE RATE in which it heals, however as it gets smaller, this RATE will reduce.

Perhaps I should draw a graph.... xD