Chapter 2

Broken Wings

 

He kept singing and singing, with voice muted, and always in silence. Wondering, if his wings would ever recover.

Now, someone else was there with his golden throne.

 

Sungmin, as everyone could see, was a hard working boy. The first time Ryeowook saw him was two month before Christmas. Ryeowook was supposed to go to practiced piano with Kyuhyun, yet there he was, singing the Christmas Song in Ryeowook’s version.

“It’s for Christmas Party,” Sungmin said. “My friend from another school gave it to me, said the owner moved out and left all his genius masterpiece. Crazy, really.”

Yeah, crazy. How RYEOWOOK’s masterpiece ended up at this school, in the hand of this boy, that just happened to meet him and Kyuhyun during practice. Great.

But Ryeowook didn’t say anything as he wasn’t able to. He wanted to say, you’re stealing what’s mine, but he just couldn’t. No. So he let it go, that masterpiece of his.

Their practice time collided, so that they always take turn, watching each other. Ryeowook realized that he sang pretty well, but to be a professional it was still long to go.

 

“I got that person’s recording!” Sungmin declared happily. “You guys should check it out, the girl’s a genius!”

Ryeowook looked at him, emotionless, as he came with a tape and the tape player. To be so honest he didn’t want to hear it, his old voice. One voice he had lost and probably would never get back.

“Is he always this quiet?” Sungmin raised his eyebrow.

Kyuhyun faked a smile. “Yeah, he’s just not so friendly,” he said, giving Ryeowook a reassuring squeeze. “So, play it. I wanna know the original.”

Sungmin put the tape player on the top of the table on the corner of the room. He pressed the play button then, a little bit jumpy and excited as he did so.

Beautiful, remarkable voice of Ryeowook singing was all over the room. It was pure and clear, so mesmerizing. One voice that was unique, beyond whatever description people said. It was attractively deceptive, one that can trembles on the edge this minute and then soft, bubbly, without even trying. Ryeowook’s voice truly peaceful, sending shivers down their spine.

And at those moments, Ryeowook could only hope his tears would not fall down.

 

“He’s great, isn’t he?” Kyuhyun said as they watched Sungmin sing. Of course, Ryeowook must admit. That guy did have a talent, a musical voice, but it was still not perfect. It’s not that Ryeowook underestimate Sungmin’s voice. But that guy’s voice sometimes get too creaky, and sometimes he sang wrong pitch and all. And Sungmin’s voice was always between loquacious and laconic, but never complete.

Still, Ryeowook was mute. It was mine. I can sing better than that.

But you lost your voice, Ryeowook, his inner goddess said.

“That guy never fail to amuse me,” Kyuhyun  added, smiling wide as if nothing could be compare to that.

Ryeowook looked at him, eyes pale and empty. The statement was clear and loud, even louder than his willing to gain his voice back. Never fail to amuse me. Then was he a failure?

 

He went to the doctor that day, asking for something nearly impossible. He placed the small card on the table and wrote. “I want my voice back. Anyhow. I need to sing at the Christmas Party.”

“Ryeowook… Listen, I know you’re a great singer, but please reconsider it,” the doctor said, sighing. “I might be able to restore your voice back, but even so your ability to sing would not be the same again. If you push it, you might even lose your voice forever.”

But Ryeowook didn’t care. He wrote again. “Just give me my voice back. I’ll deal with whatever happen later.”

The doctor wrinkled his eyebrow and smiled with doubt and pity. “Okay then. I’ll try my best.”

 

He kept singing and singing, with voice muted, and always in silence. For his wings were broken, and striving hard to bandage it was his only chance.

 

A week later, a letter came to Kyuhyun’ house. The sender was anonymous, but a simple request was made.

Listen to me for once.

 

 

 

 

I planned it to be two shot, but it seemed that I must stop here first...

Hopefully I can continue later... Enjoy!