Chapter 1

Broken Wings

 

He broke his wings. So he kept on singing and singing, with voice muted, and always in silence.

 

He was once a rare talent, that boy named Kim Ryeowook. A mischievous being, honestly. He was full of laughter and jokes, terribly clumsy but always affectionate. But above all, everyone loved it when he sang.

From the first day he heard his dear mother sang, he always wanted to be the same. A singer, and ever since he was little all he wanted was to be the first in the world. He lived for the dream, for the bubbly and blue tune of music that colored his days.

The dream was supported by his flair. His voice was heavenly; the tune uttered throughout his mouth was so near to perfection.

People said, much often that one could imagine, how amazing his ability was. “Ryeowook’s a genius in singing.” Little did they know how much he must strive for the level of singing he was, and much more little did they care. Truthfully, Ryeowook didn’t mind. He loved it, his gift and keenness, and he kept on singing; for his friends, for his parents, and most of all, for himself.

 

One day, he lost his voice.

 

No one could really pointed out the misery he was going through. His voice was almost everything to him, and the lost of it might even make him crazy. The worst was people around him; those that keep telling him that everything was going to be alright, that he got other abilities that he could cheer on. Ryeowook knew though. His voice was beyond everything he got, and without it, he was pretty much useless.

Feed up by the endless talks, he moved to another school, far away from his old one. It seemed pretty hard to get into this school with his weakness, but his parents managed to talk sense to the principal so that he finally able to move on. His disability was kept hidden though, and it was just established that he was originally quiet.

Ryeowook thought then, docilely, how pathetic he must been. All other students that did not have any idea of his weakness thought of him of some kind of freak, as he did not talk at all. They thought he was cold, emotionless, when frankly he wanted to crack up and play with others.

All the laughter, the silly jokes that make no sense and stupid pranks, gone in a matter of second.

He traced the edge of the table as he walked passing them, making his finger dusty of whatever dirt left unclean, as he always did before. Except that now it was sad, it was no longer out of peacefulness inside of him he dust himself. Tears were pricking his eyelids, because now he could no longer hum along; not in cheerful or sad tone.

Right then as he cried, he met the boy with sweet, sweet, intoxicating voice. One special voice belonged to Cho Kyuhyun, the boy that ran to him with concern the moment tears rolled down his cheeks.

 

Then everything started to get better.

“That is the gym, and that is the physics laboratory,” Kyuhyun said, smiling. “I think you need to memorize this all, since we’re not from the same class. I’ll see what I can do for next year.”

Ryeowook could only wonder, what could possibly be in this boy’s mind? Being all friendly to someone like him?

“Next at this corner is the chemistry lab! You might not go here often, but you must remember where it is. The teacher is really scary and you just don’t want to mess with her!”

When Ryeowook didn’t respond at all, he stopped his steps.

“You should try to talk, you know, to anyone,” he said.

Ryeowook hesitates, but he figured out even if he would like to reply he could not. He kept quiet then, staring at the floor with worry written all over his face.

“Hey,” Kyuhyun said, startling him. “It’s okay if you’re not ready to. But at least smile, okay?”

He kept on talking, making Ryeowook confused. Why was he being so close all of sudden? Was it out of pity? Or was it because he was just who he was?

He was not ready for another change.

 

Kyuhyun spent his time with him, even more than enough. He told Ryeowook stories about himself, then about his friends and even teachers. He did more than enough to ease Ryeowook’s pain, because truthfully Kyuhyun never forced him to do anything out of his will.

Both tried to get closer then, well at least Kyuhyun did. He visited Ryeowook’s house at the weekend, bringing games and homework and anything that would end up piling in his room. But Ryeowook didn’t feel as sad anymore, finding this little relationship more than enough.

 

“Ah! This is my favorite section of the school,” Kyuhyun stated one day, as he transformed himself into a tour guide for the third floor, grinning wide. “The music room!”

It startled the smaller boy somehow, but he looked at the piano then, and he was attracted right away. To sing he usually played the piano, though rather messily. It fancy him somehow, so he strive to master few songs for the school festival. He sat on the chair and put his fingers on the keys and started playing.

“You played the piano? Whoa, it’s pretty good too!” Kyuhyun praised, genuinely amused.

Ryeowook looked at him, feeling smug somehow. He played his favorite song then, little by little though with some mistakes here and there. The music flow like the river, so clear and beautiful. Setting his soul free, giving him wings to fly beyond the rainbow, so high far up in the sky. Sending him through the rain of tears, through the blinding bright sun. It tempted him so much, the undoubted feelings, that he opened his mouth.

“…”

Then he realized his wings were broken.

His eyes widened again, body trembling as the realization hits him like storm. He buried his face in his hands and rocked back and forth, sobbing as he did so, the tears streaming down his face. He wanted to cry, so loud, so desperate, but none of his voice came out.

“Oh, God,” Kyuhyun looked at him in disbelief. “Your voice…”

It was crazy, what could happen within a day. Kyuhyun discovered his weakness, his missing voice, making Ryeowook felt so vulnerable. He kept quiet then, hands reaching out to hug him.

Ryeowook felt weird, felt unwanted. His voice was his best asset, and he lost it already. Yet Kyuhyun… He was there still.

That day, Ryeowook was sure he never loved anyone so much before. The way he thought that no one else could give the same impact, no matter how much he consider it never changed. It happened, just happened, how Ryeowook was grateful that Kyuhyun was there. An angel from heaven, one that came down only to protect him and him only, for the rest of his life.

 

And Ryeowook smiled.

 

 

 

 

 

But Lee Sungmin was another story.