Gone

Murder With A Cute Name

  The first week of prison life made Taemin feel alone. Zico, the blondie roomate of his, suggested several ideas to take the lonliness away. "I've felt your pain too, and it'll take time to get adjusted." he said. Time. Time for what? He was a still a baby practically and had so much left to live for. How could Zico possibly understand anything he felt? Death at 17? He hadn't even kissed anyone yet. Never been on a date or a party. All of this was cut so incredibly short.  Who had actually killed his family was the real question. No matter how much he thought, the only thing that could come to mind were those red sneakers that were soaked in blood. No voices, no faces. Nothing. He knew he hadn't killed his parents, but the evidence said different. The blood of his family members spattered on his shirt, his fingerprints on the furniture and murder weapon. Here he had no recollection of what happened, so they slapped the guilty verdict on him due to "insanity."

 

 It just didn't add up. None of it did. Who was the boy in the red sneakers?

 

 "Hey, sourpuss. How long are you planning to lay in bed like that?" The muffled voice of his roomate brought Taemin back to his senses. It took him a moment to realize that he was still stuck in this room with the lonely white walls and plain looking furniture. A meloncholy sigh left his chest as he forced himself to sit up and peer over the bed. Just recently, a new shipment of "goodies" had come into the prison and that included Zico's request for colored paper. He was sitting calmly on the floor surrounded by what seemed like hundreds of paper cranes. Contrary to his looks, Zico was a gentle soul. Taemin still wasn't sure how he'd made it into death row with the kindness he showed. On the streets, Taemin may have avoided him if neither of them were in this predicament. Blonde dreadlocks just screamed 'I'll pop a cap in your .' kind of attitude.

 

 Taemin slid out of bed, straightening his orange jumpsuit before settling onto Zico's lower bunk. The older male turned his gaze from his activity and playfully swatted at Taemin's leg, "That didn't mean taking over my bed." he scoffed with a low chuckle. The boy in orange simply sighed and flopped back into the scratchy sheets of Zico's bed, inhaling the familiar smell of his companion that he'd come to enjoy. He traced his finger over the red band that marked him as a death row inmate. Zico got up from his spot on the floor, surrounded by the many cranes. "What's up with you? Breakfast not settle well with you or something?" he asked, patting the boy's hip. Taemin chewed his bottom lip for a moment, gazing at the many cranes Zico had left on the floor. He just didn't understand.

 

 "How can you be so happy now? I don't understand that. You're going to die in what, less than a month and here you sit, making paper cranes on the floor of your cell and acting as if nothing is going to happen. Why? How are you so happy?" Taemin asked, a shudder running through his body.

 

 For a moment, a pregnant silence filled the room. Only the sound of inmates wandering about in the Commons could be heard. It was rare to hear this, even at night.

 

 "Well.." Zico began, "Optimism, I guess." he replied. "I'd like to think that this.. this isn't happening. Perhaps I'm dreaming and... I didn't really harm someone. I'd like to think that this isn't permanant. That, one day I'm gonna walk out and see my family again as if this never happened. Why, sit and ponder over when and why you'll die then just live out the rest of your days as if each were the last. We might be in this hell hole, but what's so wrong with that? At least we have each other, right?" he continued. Taemin could hear the sadness in his voice. He was just as pained as Taemin. Scared even. Sitting up a bit, Taemin patted his friend's shoulder, unsure of what to say. Zico paused, the tears threatening to fall at any moment. His adams apple bobbed as he swallowed hard, ".... One month from now I won't be here. I'll be gone. And you'll be alone all over again. They won't give you a new roomate until you get close to your date of death. I won't be here anymore and someday you're just gonna have to be a big boy Taemin and learn to stop crying. This is your fate and there is absolutely can't do anything about it. You can cry and sob and bawl all you want. They don't care if you're a baby or if you've got a friend. You're only here to wait. Just cargo on a ship."

 

 Taemin swallowed softly, trying to keep the tears from forming. Only a week had passed and he'd already grown so close to his friend. It never occured to him that he'd have to say goodbye, forever.

 

"That's not fair.." That was all Taemin could muster to say, "That's not fair... I can't say goodbye to you. Ever. They won't take you from me... I-I won't let them...." he said, shaking his head. He took his friend's arm and hugged it tightly, holding it close. "I'll never say goodbye..." he whispered.

 

Zico brought a gentle hand to the top of Taemin's head, combing his fingers through his hair softly. "We all have to say goodbye eventually Tae... It's a part of life. Think of it more as a... see you soon? I'll be gone and--" Zico paused to wipe his tears, "--and you'll join your family and me not long after. We'll see each other again Tae."

 

 The small boy shook his head. Zico didn't deserve this, and neither did he. He wouldn't let it happen. "I'll save you then. I know I'm innocent, and once I get out I'll be heir to all the money my parents left behind. I'll prove my innocence and with that money,  we'll get out together, and you can show me all the things you've been telling me about. I have a psychology test coming soon and I'll be able to speak with a therapist. I can get them to do a re-trial. I mean, I am of some importance right? My father knew some of these men." Taemin said, the confidence rose in his voice.

 

 "You-- You'd go that far for me?" Zico asked, his eyes wide with astonishment. Taemin wiped a tear from his eye and flashed his friend a cheeky smile, "Of course. What are friends for? They stick together through thick and thin. And when we get out, we'll take those paper cranes you've got stored up and free them in the river. They'll be free like we will be."

 

Zico returned the smile. It too, was almost sad. It gave him confindence yes, but he knew the neither of them would escape.

 

After all, nobody had ever successfully left death row before.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Short filler for you all. I've only just come back into writing so I'll need some time to figure out what'll happen next. 

I cried a little writing this chapter tbh..