-1-

Catch my breath - Kai twoshot

I always had myself, I always put my family first. For it was my upbringing, I was not the central part .. not important. It was my father's needs first and foremost, then maybe my older brother, my mother and then me.
It had always been like that  and I had slowly got used to this treatment, the continuous isolation.
I was outgoing in school. I was sociable, laughing at jokes, hanging out with people and would sometimes show up at a party or two. But I really had no real friends, no, I didn't fully trust anyone. Never anyone to call in the middle of the night or have a food fight with. (I had seen it in a drama and it looked incredibly funny)

My interests did not stick out much either, I liked to dance but was not overly talented, had a decent ability to play football and spent many hours in front of my PC or a magazine. In short, an ordinary young teenage girl.

My dad wanted me to be a doctor or something like that to bring respect to my familys name. My brother was training to become a lawyer. Urk. He was so stiff and boring in their plain suits and back slicked hair.
I still remember how he used to push me down in the mud, or blame me when he painted on the walls.
A smile crept up on my lips at the thought of the distant memory.
"Hey Jin-ah!" A male voice came from far away, almost in a drawn-out moan. You spun around and was met by a running Kai.

Except for Kai, Kai was in this part of my life, the most important thing to you.


Kai was as old as you, an outstanding dancer and one of the most spontaneous and the most mischievous person you knew. You had recently become friends with him because one of the school's dance classes you shared. He was the first real friend you had.
Not to mention that he looked good and would soon become part of a new rookie band (!)
Not that you had any chance at a romance, but you wholeheartedly enjoyed his company.
"You are very fast today, I waited for you by your house. I think you dad wanted to kill me."
You laughed lightly, Kai however was right your dad was murderous when it came to you and the boys, even though you explained what's up with you and Kai's friendship.
"Sorry, I thought you wouldn't meet up with me today."
"I meet you up the everyday, Pabo." Kai reached out and ruffled your hair, you pulled yourself away with a girly whimp.
He was at least 15 centimeters longer than you and always had the upper hand in these situations when you were trying to tousle his hair - your arms were just not long enough, and he was far too smooth.
"Cheater .." You stuck out your tongue at him and crossed your arms over your chest, but he just smiled and put his arms around your shoulders and supported his chin on your head.
"Let's go!"
"Like this? .."
"Yes .. Now walk."
You walked, clumsily, because Kai disrupted your balance and was quite the extra weight.

"Kai.. This will take forever.."
"I don't mind."
"But school starts in 15 minutes!" You pouted, you rarely missed out on school, Kai on the other hand did a few times but even so his grades were perfect. Life could be so unfair sometimes.
Kai got to do what he loved, he danced when he felt like it, he wasn't attached to any family promises and were about to live his dream as an idol.

You sighed and Kai noticed, letting you go of his embrace but when he did you kinda wanted him not to.
"Listen, -" Kai spun you around so you faced him and he had one of those smiles on his face, telling you something bad was coming up.
"Let's ditch school, get some ice cream and go shopping, yeah?"

You lowered  your eyebrows in a confused expression, you didn't really want to ditch .. It would just give you even more trouble in the long run and you had an important project that you needed to work on, then it was these tests -
"Jin-ah! For me? Will you do it for me? Yeah?" Kai dazzled you with an all-idol smile and a gleam in his eyes you've never seen before.
You found yourself to nod and almost regretted the decision at the second.
Kai, in the other hand was overjoyed and took your hand in his.
"Wonderful, now we go and buy ice cream .. I feel a bit hungry because I didn't eat any breakfast."

Once inside the glass bar where Kai impatiently devoured his chocolate and melon ice cream and you sat and slowly ate on your mint ice cream.
"You look awful." You commented when Kai looked up at you, face full with icecream.
"What?" Just at the right corner of his mouth had a piece of chocolate ice flowed down and the lower lip, he'd also spilled a little melon ice cream.
"You are unbelieveble." You sighed.
You took your napkin and bent you over the table and wiped gently around his mouth, his full lips.
At another table in the glass bar sat two young girls and watched you, and when you wiped away the ice cream they started to make weird sounds and one said, "I wish I had a handsome boyfriend like that .."

You froze in your movement and looked at Kai with hot cheeks, you pulled yourself back immediately and began to eat with very large appetite and was unusually focused on your ice cream.
Kai looked to the girls' direction but they were now engaged in another discussion and then back at you, you looked quickly up and then down again. Why did tose words make you so nervous?
Kai, however, was much more forward and not nearly as conservative as you, and said, loud and clear.
"Jagiya, don't you  want to feed me aswell?~" Ugh, That aegyo flirtacious voice would haunt you forever.
You looked up, totally red around the cheeks. You could almost feel the burning heat.
Kai laughed well at you but you rolled your eyes and stood up.
"I told you this was a bad idea, now let's go back to school." You stood up and looked down at the sitting Kai and corrected the mustard yellow uniform.
"Oh, come on, I just joked with you .. If you don't want to be here we can go to the mall .. And I can buy a cheap dress for you, we can't walk around in our uniforms all day .. Then it becomes pretty obvious that we are ditching school."
"A cheap?" You asked, curious.
Kai nodded, "If I want to spend money, I do it on the good looking ones, you're just mediocre .. so cheap."
You drew your lips into a straight line and rolled your eyes.

Deciding to leave the place, Kai paid for both and you took off.

Kai took once again a hold of your hand while you walked down the street. You looked at him, but his gaze was fixed forward and a smile played carelessly across his lips.
When you looked down towards your intwined hands you felt your pulse steadily increased it's beat. You pulled back your hand and got Kai to stop with an uncomprehending expression.
"Is there something wrong?"
You shook your head and biting yourself in the lip before you secured your facade with a smile.
"I-.. My hands itch .. But come on, quickly!" You pressed your hands against his back and pushed, he seemed skeptical of your answer but gave in when you pushed him forward. In the end you two ran half the way to the mall and came up sweaty, out of breath and very warm.
"Ah .. Kai, why are you so fast .. And how can you have such a good condition?"
Kai smirked and took a deep breath.
"I dance every day, unlike you who just sit inside all the time."
"I do not!" You defended yourself but added in a whisper "..just five days a week .."
"I heard that, and you're right. But come on, let's go look at some clothes .."
Kai pulled you into all kinds of shops and you tried almost everything possible. Silly stuff, expensive ones and cute things.
It was wonderfully liberating, fun it was very seldom you did something like that, and the liberating feeling it gave you felt almost addictive.
You laughed and smiled like never before and Kai seemed to enjoy the time too.
"Here .. Try this!" Kai gave you a dress, like the other three you've tried this one was quite short. It had a light pink lace blouse with a brighter pink skirt that had white dots, the skirt was held up by a braided belt in light brown. It was over all very girly, but really pretty. Quite expensive.
"You want me to try that on?" You said, sceptical and fingred along the fabric as Kai held up the dress.
"Yes, Now do it .." He pushed you to the changing room and patiently waited outside.
"It looks horrible .." You said from inside the room, looking at yourself in the mirror. You were quite thin, but felt so insucure in the lack of fabric. It had a tiny bit of cleavlege too and you felt like you needed to cover up.
"Sillyness." Without any thoughts of you Kai opened the door and saw you there in your dress, at first was his quiet so you assumed that it actually looked as awful as you thought and crossed your arms.
"I told you .." You muttered under your breath but Kai shook his head.
"It actually fits .. you."
You raised your eyebrows, "Really?"
He nodded.
You twirled and look into the mirror again, seeing Kai checking you out from behind.

"Then I'll guess you'll buy it for me?"
"Eh?" Was his first reaction but then he remembered and slowly nooded.
"Ah, It's so painful to pay for your stuff, do not you have any money of your own?"
"Of course I do, but I do not want to spend them and besides, you said you would buy me a dress .. So .. Do it."
"In one condition, .. Because it is expensive .."
"And what is that ..?" You asked, eyes still fixed on the dress.
"You call me oppa for the rest of the day .. Or no .. the week."
You spun around again, looking at Kai with the fiercest look you've had, but he continued smiling.
"Fine." You said, closing the door before him.
Kai went to pay for it and explained you wanted to use the dress immediatly and wanted a bag for your uniform, the cashier smoothly arranged with it.
Kai bought a simple loong sleeved shirt in black and dark blue and a simple pair of black pants with a belt to it.


"This was nice ..oppa.." You said as both of you wandered through the park, your uniforms in each bag. After buying the stuff you left the mall for some fresh air outside.

You two were also sharing a blue slushi drink.
"Ah. It's good." You said and handed it to Kai after taking a sip. He drank greedily, almost spilling out the blue contents over his new clothes.
"Aish .. This boy .. Aigo you will have a brain fr-"
"BRAIN FREEZE ... aaaaiiisshh." For the hundreth time this day you rolled your eyes at his actions.
He was like a giant baby.

"Let's sit down and it'll pass." You sat down on a bench, the bag at your feet and took the drink from Kai's hands as he held his eyes closed and made diffrent facial expressions.
He looked very funny and you couldn't help but laugh at him.
"Why are you laughing? It hurts.. Ah, Give me a kiss Jin-ah! To relieve the pain, Ah. .come on now." He got closer and closer and jokingly made kissings sounds and pouted his lips at you.

You screamed and immediatly got up with a laugh at the silly man, But he didn't give up and got up as well so you ran but he chased after you with your bags in the hand.He soon catched you, taking you in his embrace from behind you shared a laugh together before calming down and he turned you around to face him.
"Jin-ah?"
"Yes..?" You said with still a little laughter in your voice.
"I .. I like you."
And like someone had an power button on you the laughter faded out and was replaced by a serious face.
"What.."


You looked blankly up at him, met his steady dark brown eyes that looked appealingly at you. His arms were still around your waist in a closed grip and he seemed fully serious.
But you did not believe it.
"I'm sorry Kai .. I.." As soon as he knew that you hesitated he let go and watched you go back a step.
"You do not like me?" He asked, with a hint of a slight shake in his voice.
What would you answer? Yes .. or no? But that was not true, you liked him. You admired his dancing, he looked up to his ambition, dored his
appearance and loved his free personality.
"I do." You simply answered even so the huge question.
"Then .. Let me hold you." As you did not move, he took the step that separated you two, put his arms around your waist and bent slowly down to place his lips against yours.
Then he kissed you gently and slowly. It was a wonderful first kiss, a wonderful day.

The two of you stood like that a awhile before seperating, both blushing a bit but Kai was not a man to waste time and entwined your hands as soon as you were let go from his embrace.

"Well, I guess it was a good thing to ditch school today after all.." You looked up at him to see him smiling, you returned the gesture and both decided it was time to head home.
Kai followed you to your house, when standing outside your door he bent down to kiss you once again but was abruptly interrupted by the opening of the door.
In the doorway, stood you dad with your mom behind.
"Ah.. Mr.  and  Mrs. Choi.." Kai straighted himself up and bowed respectfully.
Your dad took no notice of you and glared at Kai, you mom on the other hand made an attempt to say Hello, but your dad stopped her.
"Is he your boyfriend?"
"Yes, I'm her boyfirend.."
"I did not ask you, boy." Your dad gazed towards you and you lowered your head nodding in silence.
"And you've been with him all day?"
You nodded again.
"Your school called.. They said you weren't attending class today, so you were out with this boy? Not caring at all about school, and your grades? Don't you want to be something when you grow up? This reckless behavious is not accepted. Get in the house, Go up to your room and don't come down for dinner."
You repeated the head gesture, feeling like bobbing dool empty with emotions. Kai grasped you hand, but you looked at him with pleading eyes and he unwillingly let you go. You mother laid an arm over your shoulder and followed you inside.
"I don't want you too see my daughter anymore, understood? She needs to focus on her grades, not boys.  Maybe later in the future son, not now at least. Now go home, and think over what you've done. Do not try to contact her anymore."

Without giving Kai an chance to defend himself, his actions and most of all you - your dad closed the door on him.

You watched him walk away with slouching shoulder from your window, whispering "I'm sorry."
You dad came in later that evening, lecturing you about your future, but you've heard it a thousand time before. The dress Kai had given you was stored away in your closet, you've heard your dad curse over it but didn't want him to throw it away.

That night you fell asleep crying.

The next day in school you did try to avoid Kai because you knew you would be in trouble if you didn't. But it was impossible, as soon as you stepped inside the gates of your school he was there, right beside you walking you to class as usual.
"They made me quit the dance classes. They called the teacher this morning."
Kai bit his lip, He felt like he was not enough and also felt responsible for what happened.
"I'm sorry."
You stopped in your steps, so did he. There was no need for an excuse.
"Don't." You said, forcing up a smile but it became sincere once you remembered yesterday.
"I had the greatest day of my life, And you gave it to me .. I can always practice at home .."
Kai nodded, the lost of words, all he really wanted to do was to take you in his arms and run away.

"I still like you." He got out after a moment of silence.
"I know.." You answered, "I do too.. But now you've seen my family. They don't approve so I have to-"
"Why? Why do you have to do what they say?"
You looked at him, irritated because he didn't understand. He already had his future secured, he was on his way to fulfill his dream.
"Beacause Kai, I need my family okay? I'm not like you, I just don't do stuff, I need to have things planned! You have your dream, and your on your way to reach it, I don't.. I.. need to listen to them, they know best. and.. and-"
You were sick of explaining these things, it was like this with all people. Why couldn't they just understand?

Kai was quiet and you too, both looking down on the ground lost in thoughts.
"I still want to continue seeing you."
"No Kai.."
"We can do it like Romeo and Jennifer.." He said nonchanlantly, but really did mean it. He'd seen the movie in their history class a few weeks ago and the though was appealing.
"Juliett."
"What?" Kai asked.
"It's Juliett Kai.. you are such a pabo." His mistake made you pull your lips up in a small smile.
You laid your hands on his chest and lightly leaned against him, his arms went around you and he rested his head on yours.
You closed your eyes.
"Let's do this.. Jin-ah, Like Romeo and Je-uliett.. Let's have this our secret."
Your thoughts whirled, you knew neither in or out. Was it right? What did you feel? There was rarely your feelings came in first place and you had some idea of how you would handle them.
"Okay." You finally said into his uniform, but he understood it and planted a firm kiss on your head, a smirk appearing on his self-righteous face.
This man was going to be your death, little did you know it wasn't going to be that easy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------

Really this is just a drabble, This came to mind as I listned to Kelly Clarksons new song, Catch my breath and some of her old ones.
So, If it feels like it sometimes doesn't fit, or it seems out of hand it's my fault completely because the full story is still in my head. Wait up for part two, which will be released in a few days. Hope you liked it!

I also have a Taoxyou oneshot here;
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/180007/helping-out-oneshot-taokrisyou-oneshot-you-exo-tao-cute-kris

aaand here is my KrisxYou one; http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/204247/fighting-for-love-oneshot-drama-you-exom-love-kris-dramaabuse
 

Both a little rougher and.. well let's say badass.


Thanks for reading!