CHAPTER SIX

the Princess, the Amazon and their Men

 

 

HARUKA STARED AT DAIKI’S BACK. He was watching the scene below. She had wondered where he had gone and looked for him in the castle when she spotted him in one of the east porch. He was watching her twin Kyoumi practicing her sword skill on one of the empty clearing just under the porch.

 

Haruka hid in one of the pillars behind Daiki. He was leaning on the baluster. She could see her twin sister swinging a long double-edge sword identical to a Japanese warrior. She was wearing something like those of a traditional samurai.

 

Haruka saw her sister stopped and looked up. “How was it?” Kyoumi asked.

 

“Better than last time.” Daiki answered back.

 

“Honto ni?” Kyoumi asked smiling.

 

Haruka was sure that Daiki smiled back. “Hai.” He answered.

 

Haruka blinked and turned back. Tears fell from her eyes, a lump stopped in and her chest felt as if it was being squeezed by two boulders.

 

 

“HARUKA-SAMA,” Daiki called behind her. “Here is your painting materials.” He said.

 

Haruka didn’t look at him but gestured him to place the materials in the table beside her. She didn’t dare turn or speak. She was afraid that he would see her swollen eyes. She was afraid that her voice would tremble when she speak to him.

 

She faced an empty canvass, not sure what to put on it since her creative juices stopped flowing. However she tried, there was no other except for one image enters her mind. It was suffocating. She felt being choked with invisible hands whenever she sees it in the back of her mind.

 

She felt Daiki staring at her. He was probably waiting for more instructions. She gestured for him to leave the room.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat, Haruka-sama? It is already lunch time.” He asked.

 

Haruka shook her head. She was not in the mood for any food. She just wanted to be alone.

 

“Demo…” Daiki started.

 

“Get out!” Haruka said a little bit harsh. She knew Daiki was taken aback. She had never shouted at him but she couldn’t care anymore.

 

She heard the door closed and locked behind her. She clenched her fist as more tears fell from her eyes.  

 

 

“WHERE IS HARUKA?” Kota asked Daiki.

 

“She is in her drawing room. She doesn’t want to eat.” Daiki answered.

 

“What is happening to her?” Kota asked Kyoumi and Ryosuke who looked as confused as him.

 

“She has been serene these past few days. It was so unlike her.” Ryosuke commented while Kyoumi nodded in agreement.

 

“Maybe she’s in love.” Yuri commented earning him confused stares. “That’s just a guess.” He said and smiled at Kyoumi who played with her food and pretended not to notice.

 

Daiki gritted his teeth. It was the first Haruka had shouted at him. There was anger in her voice. He wondered what pissed her off. She was usually very energetic and happy. It was weird.

 

“Ah, Daiki-kun, take your sit and join us.” Kota said and invited him pointing at the empty chairs.

 

“Thank you, your majesty but that is inappropriate.” He answered.

 

“Oh, come on. No one would break your neck by joining us. That was so long ago.” Kota said but Daiki stayed standing up. Kota sighed. “I command you to join us.” He said.

 

Daiki smiled awkwardly and took a seat. Kyoumi who was beside him handed him a bowl full of rise. The attendants put more food in his plate.

 

Ryosuke was in the middle of telling a story about his escapade with a girl whom he met in the Gobi Desert while the others laughed at him.

 

“Ah, by the way, Daiki-kun, how was you and my sister? Did you have an LQ or something?” Ryosuke asked which made Daiki coughed at the seaweed that he was eating.

 

Kyoumi tapped his back and offered him a glass of orange juice which he gladly accepted. His breathing turned back to normal when he noticed that the rest was looking at him and waiting for his answer.

 

“You had an LQ.” Yuri said as if confirming what Ryosuke guessed.

 

Daiki shook his head. He glanced towards Kyoumi who was also looking at him. “I-I don’t know what you are talking about.”

 

“But aren’t you like lovers?”  Ryosuke asked.

 

Daiki felt that blood was drained in his face. “No, Ryosuke-sama. That is against the rules. I am a butler and she is my mistress.”

 

“Stupid rules,” Yuri shook his head.

 

Kota laughed at the comment. “Don’t tell me, you already have a special person? And she is not Haruka?”

 

Daiki stared at the king. He looked really young and handsome. He had a sweet smile though at this point that same smile was freaking him out. Is this a trap? He asked himself. Are they planning to kick me out? Did they find out what I did to Haruka?

 

After a long thoughtful moment, “Hai!” Daiki answered grimly.

 

It was then, Haruka walked in. She pulled a chair beside Daiki.

 

Daiki’s eyes opened wide. He was so taken aback that he wasn’t able to move quickly. It was after awhile that he realized that he should be serving the princess. He tried to stand up but she stopped him.

 

The servants came with her food. She ate in silence, not meeting anybody’s eye. The princes came back to eating and so did Daiki though he couldn’t bring himself to swallow any food. He glanced at Haruka. Her head was down. Did she hear him?

 

 

YURI SMILED AT KYOUMI WHO WAS GROOMING NIGHT. “Kyoumi, will you marry me?” he asked.

 

Kyoumi snapped at him. There was shock in her pretty eyes. Her long wavy hair was pulled aback in a loose pony tail. Her rosy cheeks tinted more as she heard him. She gripped the brush that she was using to groom Night in her right hand. was agape.

 

Yuri smiled more. He wanted to close their distance and purse those lips with his own. “I will be joining the Chaeronea.”

 

Kyoumi’s eyes opened more as she heard what he said. Fear crossed her eyes and lingered there. “Are you crazy?!” she snapped at him. “You could die in that stupid battle, don’t you know?”

 

Yuri’s heart skipped a beat. “I know.” He said.

 

“You are crazy!” Kyoumi exclaimed.

 

“It seems so challenging that I cannot stop myself from thinking about it.” Yuri said and leaned on the wall beside Night’s stable. He was aware that Kyoumi was staring at her. “If I succeed and I win, will you marry me?” he asked tilting his head towards her.

 

Kyoumi marched to him angrily and shoved the brush in his hand. “No!” she shouted at his face and then walked out.

 

Yuri stared at her retreating back and pouted. He gripped his chest. “Ouch!”

 

 

KYOUMI’S TEARS CAME FALLING DOWN. She ran as fast as she could, away from that stupid guy. “I hate you! I hate you! You are so stupid!” She kept muttering “BAKKERO!!!”

 

She kept on running, not sure where her feet would bring her until she bumped into something solid and as though her knees had given up on her, she crumbled down to the ground, shaking heavily.

 

A pair of hands held her shoulders and shook her. “Kyoumi-sama…”

 

Kyoumi looked up. The concerned eyes of Daiki greeted her. He was holding her steady. She sniffed and shivered then she found herself hugging him for comfort. “Daiki-kun, how can he be so stupid?” She asked miserably.