Realization

Sad

 

Encircling his arms around your waist, he pulled your closer until your back was pressed flat against his chest. Giggling, you squirmed until you were slouched just enough to be comfortable. Feeling his chest rumble from chuckling, he kissed the top of your head. Tracing his hand down your right arm, he stopped once he got to your hand. Lacing your fingers together, he brought your hand to his lips and left a chaste kiss there. Letting a content sigh escape from your lips, you rested your head on his chest and looked up at him.

Giving you an eye smile, he leaned closer until his lips were resting on your forehead. Crinkling your nose, you closed your eyes and let out another giggle. Relaxing his chin on top of your head, he wrapped his arms tighter.

“Daehyun! I can’t breathe!”

Laughing he loosened his grip, only a little, afraid that you’d disappear from his arms.

“Sorry, I just love you so much!”

 

Opening your eyes, you groaned once you realized that you woke up once again.

Sad.

That’s all you felt. Every fiber of your being, every thought, every emotion was just….sad..

Glancing at the digital clock resting on your nightstand, you groaned when it read 1:00AM. Sitting up, you threw your legs over your bed and stood up. Shuffling around your room, you looked for your house slippers. Once you found them, you stuffed your feet inside and stood up.

Making your way toward your kitchen, you opened the refrigerator door and grabbed a bottle of water. Unscrewing the lid, you brought the bottle to your lips and downed half of it. Looking at the counter top you sadly smiled and started to remember how it used to be.

With your legs wrapped around his waist, you forced him closer to you. Using his hands to support himself he smiled and kissed you. Short, sweet and simple, how you always liked them. Chuckling, he leaned in once again closer and closer. Feeling your heart beat pick up, you squeezed your eyes closed.

Shaking your head, you placed the half drunken water bottle into the fridge and you walked back toward your room. Entering the hallway, you looked to your left glancing into your living room. Looking at the couch, you leaned against the wall.

 

“I love you.” He whispered and he played with your hair.

Lying on the sofa in his arms always did feel right. It was times like this that you enjoyed the most. Just basking in his presence was enough to keep you happy.

”I love you too.”

 

Wiping an escaped tear, you your heel and made your way toward your bed room.

 

“I’ll never leave you.”

“Stop.” You mumbled to yourself, walking faster.

“You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“Stop.” You yelled, covering your ears.

“I want to be with you forever.”

 

Screaming, you slammed the door to your empty room. Sliding down your door, you took a deep breath. Recalling all the memories and all the lies had your head spinning. Being blinded by the tears cascading down your face, you quickly wiped them away and forced yourself off the ground.

Dragging your feet to your bed, you sat down and your dry lips. Unable to keep your strong façade up any longer, you broke. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you bent over and sobbed.

You felt each cry torture your body.

After what seemed like hours of crying, gently you laid yourself back in bad. Wrapping the covers tighter around your body you took in a shaky breath, feeling another round of self-pity come back. Squeezing your eyes shut, you buried yourself deeper into the comfort of your bed.

 

“I’m the other woman. That’s why you’re breaking up with me?”

“Please… Don’t tell her.”

“That’s all you can say. After everything, don’t tell her?!”

Refusing to meet your eyes, hid grip on his bag tightened.

“This will be less painful if you just let me go.”

“I thought you loved me.”

“I love her more.”

Feeling your breath catch in your throat, tears started to pour down your face. Those four words. Who knew they could break you so easily. You watched as he walked out the door, never to return into your life again. You wanted to run after him, but something seemed to pin you to the ground.

 

Letting out a shaky sigh, you looked at your clock to see that it was 3:00AM in the morning. “Great.” You mumbled to yourself, turning over until you faced the window. Watching the rain drops thump against the window, you reached for your phone.

Looking at the picture in the background, you smiled. Daehyun’s arm was around you while you kissed him on the cheek. Glancing up, you saw that the rain seemed to be falling harder than it was earlier, taking a deep breath, you opened your contacts and found his number.

Same name, same heart. Pressing the call button, you rolled onto your back and pressed the phone to your ear.

“Hello?”

Hearing her voice, your heart seemed to break all over again.

“Who’s calling me so late at night, babe?”

You heard him say over the phone.

Hanging up quickly, you threw your phone across the room. Sitting up, you pulled your knees close to your chest and covered your mouth. Feeling the hot tears flow down your face once again you thought to yourself:

What hurts more? To be the other woman or to never know there was another woman.