Sleep...

As I Watch You Sleep

Inspiration: Lullaby - The Spill Canvas


"Yobo..." She whispered as I brushed the hair away from her eyes.

 

"Do you have to go home already?"

 

I shook my head. "I'll wait until you fall asleep."

 

She brightened a little. "Really?"

 

I nodded, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

"Sleep, okay?"

 

She sighed. "I can't. I'm not sleepy yet."

 

"Do you want me to sing for you then?" I took one of her hands to mine and kissed it.

 

"Will you?" She looked up at me and I smiled, fixing her comforter around her as I sat more comfortably on the chair beside her bed.

 

I sang our song softly to her, and once again, I knew that she didn't tell me the truth entirely.

She fell asleep within minutes of my singing. So much for not being sleepy at all.

 

I smiled softly at her angelic image, how she looks so peaceful, so beautiful even with her eyes closed.

I caress her smooth cheek lightly, amazed at how I was so blessed to have met her.

 

╔══════════════════════════════════╗

"It's the way that you blush when you're nervous,

It's your ability to make me earn this.

I know that you're tired,

Just let me sing you to sleep."

╚══════════════════════════════════╝

 

I remember when I first met her, how I was struck so easily, how I didn't look at anyone else but her, how her pale cheeks rose with color whenever she caught my stares.

 

Those were the times that I believe; no girl could be more beautiful.

 

I stared at her pink lips, wanting to plant even the lightest of kisses on her but had to restraint myself from doing so, because I know she'd wake up in a second, she's a light sleeper, just like me.

 

There were times though; that I wish I could keep her dreaming...much like how she let me feel whenever I'm with her.

 

A dream that I never thought would turn into reality.

 

Yes, this is definitely the reality I want.

 

I thought of those lips again, how she would smile at my attempts at humor.

How that simple gesture of hers becomes the highlight of my day.

 

╔════════════════════════════╗

"It's about how you laugh out of pity,

Because let's be honest, I'm not really that funny.

I know that you're shy,

So just let me sing you to sleep."

╚════════════════════════════╝

 

 

"You have no idea, do you?" I whispered to her, her hand which was tightly wrapped around mine.

As if she was afraid I would go, that I would leave her the minute she drifts off.

 

 

╔════════════════════════════╗

"If you need anything, just say the word,

I mean anything.

Rest assured, if you start to doze then I'll tuck you in,

Plant my lips where your necklace is closed."

╚════════════════════════════╝

 

 

I stared at her beautiful face, my heart aching at the sight of such beauty.

Is this even possible? That I get to even witness this kind of magnificence?

I know she doesn't know the extent of my adoration for her, but it's fine...

I would use my whole lifetime proving it to her.

 

I remember how she was surprised when I confessed to her.

"Me? Are you sure it's me?"

 

"There's no one else." I said simply.

 

"But..." She shook her head.

"Me? Out of all the countless girls--"

 

"Don't speak anymore." I said and I walked nearer, backing her up in the walls of the empty hallway...

and proceeded to kiss all her doubts away.

 

"It's you. It's always been you."

 

I smiled at the memory, how she didn't question me much after that.

How my friends were surprised when I decided to stick with just one girl.

How I knew...that finally,

 

I made the right choice.

 

"Baby, what's wrong? Why are you just standing there and not having fun?" I took her by the waist, kissing her forehead.

 

"I'm fine." She said uncomfortably.

"I'd rather stay here."

 

"Why?" I was confused.

"You were excited for this dance, weren't you? We even went shopping for new dresses. Which..." I tilted my head, looking her up and down appreciatively.

"You look so beautiful on."

Normally, she would've blushed at such comments of mine and I would smile, taking that as my cue to hold her closer and kiss her.

 

But it was different tonight.

 

She looked down, seemingly awkward with the whole thing.

"What's wrong?" I led her to a nearby chair and made her sit on it and crouched down in front of her

.

"I...I'm sorry." She sighed softly.

 

"What are you sorry for?" I was really confused.

"Wait. You're not breaking up with me or something, are you?!" I panicked.

 

"No! Why? Do you want me to?" She looked hurt.

"Look at those girls...they are so much more beautiful. Even if I gave myself a makeover tonight, I still pale by comparison. I totally understand if you like them better, Jjong..." She bit her lip.

 

I was annoyed. "So that's why you're acting this way?!"

 

"I'm sorry. I'm just having one of my insecurity attacks...every girl has them." She explained unhappily

.

"How could you even have insecurities?!" I demanded.

"You're perfect! And I can't believe you would think that of me!" This time, I was the one who was hurt.

"Didn't you see how everyone's gazes were on you the moment we entered the room?" I asked quietly, pouting.

 

"They weren't looking at me at all." She shrugged, still sad.

 

"Okay. Then how about the fact that I can't keep my eyes off of you tonight?" I asked instead, cupping her face close to mine.

"You know that you're perfect to me, right? Who cares what everybody else thinks? I told you that all you needed to do was look into my eyes and you'll see how I meant every word."

 

She finally smiled, probably seeing my point...and the truth.

That night, I didn't let her out of my sight.

 

"If you could only see yourself right now..." I whispered, as I watched her sleep with endless fascination.

"No one looks as angelic as you do." I finally kissed her cheeks softly, unable to resist.

 

"No one."


╔═══════════════════════════════╗

"It's those pills that you don't need to take

Medicating perfection, now that's a mistake

I know that you're spent,

Just let me sing you to sleep."

╚══════════════════════════════╝

 

 

She shifted a little in her sleep and I felt her hands lose their grip from mine a little.

I let her slip into a comfortable position and once again, I held her hand as she dreamed...

 

Hopefully, they were dreams about me. About us.

 

Her hands...I stared at them.

Her beautiful, soft, delicate hands that I can't seem to let go.

 

Sure, in our school, they had always branded me as a player, the one who always knew what to do with the girls, but with her?

She was the only one who made me hesitate with everything.

She was the only one who made me change my outfit three times, making me late for school, just because I wanted to impress her.

She was the only one who made me feel so tongue-tied by merely looking my way.

She was the only one who made me want to commit.

The only one who made me ask for permission before I do what I want.

 

Before, I used to be so carefree. I would hug, I would kiss, I would hold hands without any hesitation at all.

 

But her...she made me want to secure her permission first.

That I wanted her assurance that it would be okay to hold her hand, to kiss her cheek, to hold her close, to have her fall asleep in my arms.

 

"Is it okay?" I asked again, in a whisper, as I held her hand tighter.

 

"Is this okay?" I asked, a million questions going through my mind until I finally settled on one.

I imagined her nodding to my request, her smile lighting up her face and my heart thudding in my chest.

 

"Because if I had my way..." I murmured, afraid to wake her up with all of my words, my sentences, my love.

 

"I wouldn't want this moment to end anymore."

 

╔══════════════════════════════╗

"It's your finger and how I'm wrapped around it

It's your grace and how it keeps me grounded

I know that you're weak,

Just let me sing you to sleep."

╚══════════════════════════════╝

 

"I'm sorry if I'm disrupting your dreams, yobo. It's rare that I get to tell you how I feel. Especially because I'd rather show it to you through my hugs, my kisses, my caresses, but maybe..." I closed my eyes for a second and pictured her bright, happy face.

 

"maybe expressing it through words won't be so bad too."

 

╔════════════════════════════╗

"If you need anything, just say the word,

I mean anything.

Rest assured, if you start to doze then I'll tuck you in,

Plant my lips where your necklace is closed."

╚════════════════════════════╝

 

I watched on, seeing her smile in her sleep sometimes, seeing her shift, hearing her murmur my name...

It was all so beautiful.

All so magical.

 

I have no idea that sleep itself, can make me fall in love with her even more.

 

I looked at our hands laced together, how she perfectly filled the gaps in between my fingers, how she so easily fit in my arms when I pull her into a cuddle, how my height (I don't wish to be taller anymore) was just enough so that when she leans into me, I can place my chin above her head, and she at turn, can hear my heartbeats perfectly.

How her lips seemed to mold perfectly into mine, making every kiss feel like the first time.

How she would ultimately be my weakness and how she always tell me that I'm the one she gets her strength from.

How I want her to be the mother of my children and how she wants me to be the one to take her hand in front of the altar.

 

How I just knew, that we were made for each other.

 

╔══════════════════════════════════╗

"While you were sleeping, I figured out everything

I was constructed for you and you were molded for me

Now I feel your name, coursin' through my veins

You shine so bright, it's insane, you put the sun to shame."

╚════════════════════════════════════╝

 

"I'm sorry. But for these reasons alone..." I smiled at her, even though she can't see it.

"I am not leaving you."

 

I shook my head.

"You can't get rid of me at all."

 

I caught sight of the clock in her bedside table and I smiled, let go of her hand gently and stood up, stretching a little.

 

It's time.

 

"Yobo," I whispered.

"I love you."

 

Then I went to the other side of the bed, climbed in next to her, fixed the comforter around us and dimmed the lights a little.

 

I felt her shift again as she feels my presence beside her and she puts her arms around me in a tight hug.

I scooted closer, holding her just as tight, knowing I had woken her up a little, and kissed her forehead as I whispered the last of my song in her ears.

 

╔════════════════════════════════════╗

"If you need anything, just say the word,

I mean anything.

Rest assured, if you start to doze then I'll tuck you in,

Plant my lips where your necklace is closed."

╚═════════════════════════════════╝

 

Her eyelids fluttered open as she pulled me down to her.

"I love you too."


 

Hope you liked it! <3