High? HIGH!: Chapter 1

High? HIGH!

 

IT WAS a fine Sunday morning and it’s the best day to go and have fun outside since it was your day off for this month. You woke up even before your alarm clock rang and were already making breakfast. Your plan for today- is zero. You don’t have one. An exasperated sigh escaped your mouth as you realized this.
“Maybe I’ll go shopping?” you tapped your chin as you thought. “I don’t have money meant for that!” you dropped your shoulders as you let out another sigh. You gazed for a while, still thinking of what to do until a cloud of smoke surrounded your place, startling you. You scurried towards the hot pan to at least save your apartment from burning, too. After cleaning up your mess, you ended up eating instant ramyun for the third time this month which you don’t usually do in China.
You remembered how lavish your life was back there. You needn’t even have to beg for what you want and your liking will be yours immediately. You lived a life of a princess. That’s how much your parents love their only girl.
But since you wanted this so-called freedom of yours, you just decided to run away from your family to Korea to live and work there alone. And now you’ve realized that what you did was wrong. So wrong you wanted to commit suicide from so much shame.
“It was true that you will only realize the importance of something once it’s gone…” you frowned. Now your appetite was gone. You felt sorry for yourself, especially for your parents…and to the ramyun which was barely eaten and was about to be thrown away.
 
YOU’VE been resting on your bed and staring at your ceiling for quite some time now. “Damn, this is so boring,” you grunted as you rolled to the side. You could see your cellphone on the coffee table beside your bed. Oh, how you wished that pretty Chinese guy that visited the Chinese restaurant you’re working at to call you. Your phone suddenly rang and all that fantasizing made you excited to pick up your phone. Have your wish came true in an instant?
“Luhan?!” you blurted out.
“Hello? Yanmei? My daughter, Yanmei?” You looked at your phone in confusion. “Yanmei?” The other line kept on calling.
A tiny prickle of guilt in your heart made you realize who the caller was. You bit your trembling lower lip for comfort before talking, “Mother?” You could hear the cheers from the other line. They were sighing in relief and some were shouting for you to come back. You could feel that your eyes were starting to get watery. The people on the other line continued to be lively until someone hushed them. You knew who it was. –It was you father.
“Yanmei,” he started with his deep and husky old man’s voice.
Now you’re ready to cry.
You tried to remain calm as much as possible for them to understand your ‘might be’ croaky voice, “Yes, father?”
 
“I’M HOME!” you casually called on the outside of your family’s traditional Chinese gate. You knew they couldn’t hear your call, but just for some fun, you did. You rang the doorbell once, twice, thrice. One of the servants opened it for you and the rest of the other men took your luggage to be carried back to your room, they all bowed before doing so. You could see the sparkle in their eyes. Have they missed you so much?
You looked around the scenery before you. Thanks to your father who sent you money to be able to go back home, you’re now safe and sound. Although, you’ve only been gone for two months, you really missed your home. “Such elegance…” you complimented. 
You, then, immediately went to the main family room to talk about the matter that made you instantly come back to China. It was quite a walk from the main entrance to your destination but you managed to arrive in shape. Your mother and father is just a screen door away from you.
“Ja~n!” you shoved the door open and showed them your biggest, happiest grin as you entered the room. You tried to look the same cheerful girl because you didn’t want to worry any of them on how you lived your life miserably in Korea.
Four pair of orbs rounded at your presence. You unconsciously flipped your hair and walked to sit beside your mother. “Chang Yanmei, to the rescue!”
Knowing you, your father smacked the wits out of your head before you could add another of your not-so-elegant acts. You yelped then gave him a glare. He motioned you to look on the other side of the table where a man and a woman sat. You knew straight away who they were. –Their one of your family business tough competitor. You immediately straightened up in the name of your family (although it was really late to do it).
Your mother gave you a warm hug before she started talking. She explained things softly and you just gave her nods as a reply. Your father followed the same flow.
“Why can’t I be of any help anymore?” you pouted. You’re talented in singing and entertaining. And that talent have always helped the business –traditional Chinese restaurant– does well.
“You were popular,” the woman commented. “But ever since you left, many other restaurants copied your skit. It’s too used now. Besides, in business, the top ones are always the pioneers of everything. We need a new one.” Lost, you asked how it became ‘we’ all of a sudden.
Outside, a rowdy group of lads interrupted your conversation. “Let go of me, peasants!” one male growled. You could see his physique through the shadows made on the door. He was tall and skinny. Surely, he’s scary looking since he managed to command and stiffen the other men.
The door was opened like how you harshly do it every time. It revealed a rather handsome and prince-like young man. He wore his clothes loosely and his orange hair messily but he pulled it off quite nicely. But you thought, “It must be because he was thrashing too much earlier,”
He squinted his eyes at you, “That’s Chang Yanmei? She’s nowhere near what her name means.” He sat right across you then smirked when you didn’t stop gawping at him. “Reality hurt you too much? Or am I just that handsome?” The older woman -other than your mother- scolded him for his rude manners. The guy just ignored her then muttered incoherent words.
And that’s the very short point when you couldn’t take it anymore. Adults shouldn’t be treated like that!
“For your information, stranger! Yes, I am Chang Yanmei and I am much more flattering and seductive than what you think! And don’t be like that to your elders!” you hollered with your right feet on the table and your fist pumped in front of you.
“Uh-huh. And I can see your flowery underwear. How cute.” His tone was full of sarcasm. 
You had another snap.
“Why- you!” You tried to tackle him but you were held back by your father. He apologized for your actions which made your anger rose further. “What the hell is happening here?!”
Your father took his time to calm you down before he started, “To save our business, you have to marry their son, Wu Fan. In line with that, once both parties businesses are merged into one, which was our plan from the beginning, making a Chinese restaurant and maid café. That way, both of our businesses will grow.” You thought it was a stupid idea, so you told them. Unexpectedly, this Wu Fan agreed with you.
“Please, Yanmei. Marry our son. We’ll do everything to save your family’s business,” his father begged. His mother nodded approvingly.
“It’s the only way, Yanmei,” your father added. His usually tough expression turned to a desperate one.
“Yanmei!” the older folks called desperately.
You had your freedom once. Yet, here you are getting tied to a man you just met. But what can you do when future of your family depends on it?

 


 

I thought I could make it as a one-shot... >_<;
Anyway, there'll be another one or two chapters left.
Please anticipate it!
So how do you like the story so far? :3
Don't forget to leave a comment.
A constructive criticism wouldn't hurt. ^^
Upvoting is nice. :")

-- ILoveRappers1104