Freefall

Freefall

"Damn, everything is so tiny down there," Luhan whispered, his voice full of wonder as his neck craned out the gaping doors to catch a better view of the vast expanse of ground that was thousands of meters below them. "Minseok, it's gorgeous up here."

The older man's only response came from the tightening of his death grip on the sides of the doors of the small plane, his eyes glued to some distant point right in front of him. Luhan chuckled softly, reaching out to lightly punch Minseok's tense shoulder.

"You don't have to worry, Minseok ! This is completely safe !"

Without moving a single muscle save the ones governing his mouth, Minseok retorted with a trembling voice. "It's still mind-boggling that you were able to talk me into this." The stubborn Minseok wasn't ever fond of admitting his weaknesses, but he had no shame in confessing his paralyzing fear of heights. There was no stable earth beneath his feet, keeping him up and steady. The thought of freefall, where you submit yourself helplessly to the overwhelming power of gravity, pierced every anxious nerve in his body with tiny pins and orchestrated chaotic operas within his racing mind.

"Come on, Minseok, it'll be fun !" The twinkles in Luhan's excited eyes sparkled like the aerial view of an evening in Paris. "It'll be like we're flying."

I can just sit my down in a damn plane if I want to "fly," Minseok's cynical mind snapped back, his nerves wearing dangerously thin as he struggled to calm himself. There was no turning back now at this point, and Minseok would never hear the end of Luhan's incessant whining if he refused to jump out of the plane with him. The situation wasn't made any easier when their pilot, Yifan, finally yelled for them to get ready to jump in the next two minutes.

With a heavy, yet shaky, sigh, the older man painfully forced his whole body to move forward slightly, his gaze reluctantly creeping down to the scene below.




"Minseok ?"




His eyes seemed to almost sag out of their sockets as they strained to observe the details of the ground so far away. His stomach lurched as his eyes began to dim, his light head swimming with a storm of erratic thoughts. Slowly, the ground seemed to seep away as if being further away from him by an enormous straw. With minds of their own, Minseok's eyes began to quiver, his vision blurry and quaking.


Minseok couldn't hear Luhan's worried questions over the sound of his thunderous, pounding heart that echoed and reverberated through his bones.

He couldn't hear the pilot holler for them to jump over the sound of the panicked, delirious voice shrieking hideously in his throbbing head.




"Baozi."




Minseok subtly felt his near-numb fingers detach from the side of the door as a pair of strong hands shifted his entire body around so that his back was towards the exit. Frantic, his eyes dashed straight up to the one who'd called his name, their noses centimeters apart. Having been holding his breath while he gazed upon the distant earth, Minseok couldn't even gasp, his throat resisting the tempting urge to constrict.

A pair of soft lips pressed against his own just before Minseok's mouth had a chance to fall open and exhale all of the stale air trapped in his screaming lungs. His lips, shredded and frigid from the blistering winds at this altitude, slowly melted under the touch of Luhan's similarly abused lips. For a moment, Minseok seemed to forget everything but the presence of his sweet Luhan, the floor of the plane beneath his feet transforming into a light, soft surface akin to one of the lithe clouds floating sleepily in the heavens. In that split moment of submission and bliss, Minseok didn't quite register that his feet had left the plane as Luhan leaned forward, pushing their connected bodies off of the plane and into the hands of the air.


Almost instantly, their bodies separated, but the younger man had managed to lock fingers with Minseok before they drifted too far apart. The two dropped through the air, their mouths silently agape with their shrill screams swallowed up by the thunderous sound of the slicing air around them. Luhan's gaze caught a bewildered Minseok with eyes that darted from side to side and a chest that heaved as the terrified boy tried to cope with the sudden drop. A soundless laugh escaped Luhan's lips as he tightly gripped Minseok's fingers, tugging on them.

Minseok's frantic eyes shot towards Luhan's, and their gazes immediately locked together like magnets slapped together. Luhan's mouth quietly moved, but Minseok was sure that he had heard exactly what the younger boy had said.



"We're flying, Minseok."



They continued to plummet down towards the earth, and the foreign feeling of falling slowly began to ebb away from Minseok's body, easing his nerves. His unwavering eyes slowly closed, and he imagined that gorgeous wings had sprouted from his back, allowing him to soar through the air. A new feeling washed over him, something he had definitely never felt when rooted to the ground for the entirety of his life.



Minseok felt free.

Free from his inhibitions.

Free from earthly troubles.

Free to enjoy all of these exhilarating things with the love of his life.



Minseok's eyes fluttered open, a smile stretching over his severely-chapped lips. Soundlessly, his mouth began to form words.


"Thank you, Luhan."


The angel in front of Minseok smiled serenely in response, which escalated into a wide, toothy smile as his fingers tightened their grip on the older man's. Luhan's eyes signaled to the string dangling from the bag upon his own back, indicating that it was time.

Suddenly alarmed, Minseok yanked one of his hands free, helplessly groping for the string upon his back, afraid to look down to look for it.

The rough surface of a glove grazed Minseok's wind-beaten cheek, and he immediately gazed back to the sparkling brown orbs adorning Luhan's face. Once more, Luhan's mouth gently formed a sentence.


"Just look at me."


Minseok's frantic hand gently slowed, crawling across the bag before his fingers finally curled around the string.

With a brilliant smile, Luhan nodded, dropping his free hand from Minseok's face to his own string. Somehow, Minseok's steel gaze wavered enough to see the final movements of Luhan's mouth.


On three.

1

2

3.



---

Oh gosh, I hope this wasn't too terrible. I just really wanted to write a light-hearted xiuhan story. ;___;

Thank you for reading !

Please enjoy and comment ! ))