chapter five

The Man in the Mirror

Chapter five - Realization

 

Chunji? Who the heck is Chunji?

 

Chanhee smiled awkwardly at the girl who was squirming under him.

 

“Uh, yes?”

 

The girl pushed him off, and he whimpered in pain as he stumbled into the wall, knocking his head.

 

“What are you all looking at?” The girl narrowed her eyes at the onlooking crowd, and they slowly dispersed while mumbling about what just happened.

 

Chanhee got up and turned towards the girl, who was now glaring at him.

 

“Care to explain?” She gestured towards the shattered mirror, which now revealed a crystal box that was concealed behind it.

 

“Uh, it was a secret room?” Chanhee chuckled nervously as the girl eyed him suspiciously.

 

“There's a secret room?”

 

“You didn't know?”

 

Chanhee gulped as the girl pondered his answers. First of all, the girl apparently mistook him for someone else. Secondly, it would be hard to explain his appearance if she probed him further, and she showed no signs of backing down.

 

“And what's with the suit? You hate wearing suits.”

 

“I was in a play?” He squeaked uncertainly, feeling uneasy as the girl scrutinized him.

 

“You refused to wear a suit for our play, remember? Hypocrite.” She snorted, and Chanhee shot her a small smile in return.

 

“Seriously Chunji, go change into your uniform and go home.” The girl sighed and walked away, leaving behind a very confused Chanhee.

 

She called me Chunji again, who is he exactly?

 

♥♥♥♥

 

Chanhee decided to wander around the building for a while, exploring and familiarizing himself with his surroundings. He soon realized that he was in a school, which perked him up greatly. He never attended school once, his father had engaged a private tutor to teach him whatever he thought was suitable until the Japanese rule began. Chanhee cringed inwardly as he recalled those times. It was a miracle that his family managed to survive due to their wealth. The Japanese didn't terrorize them as much as they expected, and Chanhee picked up some of the language due to the influx of Japanese propaganda.

 

He aimlessly strolled around the whole campus with absolutely no idea where to go. Chanhee thought of following the girl home, but later decided against it in case she caused a scene. He simply decided to spend a night or two in the school before making plans to find better accommodation. He explored every room he came across, scanning every corner and making mental notes of how suitable it was for sleeping in. Eventually, he settled for the gym since it was large and well-ventilated. Also, it had plenty of hiding space in case he was in risk of being discovered. Chanhee was about to settle down and conclude his day when a familiar, feminine voice floated into his mind again.

 

“Having fun in 2012?” Again, Chanhee heard her tinkling laughter as she spoke to him softly.

 

“Didn't I get rid of you when I left the damn mirror?”

 

“Why, do you hate me so much to the extent that you want to leave me already? Come on, we spent a hundred years together.” If the female was visible to him, Chanhee could vividly imagine her pouting at his words.

 

“Just asking.” Chanhee couldn't help but to groan, secretly wishing that she would shut up already.

 

“Cheer up Chanhee, it's not nice to sulk in a different century. You'll find out your purpose here soon enough, but for now, go out and turn right. Have fun!” The female voice giggled and faded away from Chanhee's mind. He grumbled and got up from his lying position, and dragged himself to the door. The day was about to end, and if Chanhee got discovered, he was ready to push all the blame to the pesky female.

 

Chanhee reluctantly turned into the corridor, walking briskly while hastily trying to see whatever it is that he was supposed to see. He soon found himself in front of the library, scoffing slightly at the lacklustre sight. His personal library at home was definitely better than the measly collection of books stacked sloppily on the old wooden shelves. Chanhee was about to turn around and head back to the gym when the next thing he saw sent him scrambling for cover behind a cluster of tables and chairs.

 

Two boys walked out of the library, their arms full of textbooks and messy piles of papers.

 

“I'll be going first.” The first boy nudged his companion, who kept his head down in a way that made it difficult for Chanhee to distinguish his facial features. He nodded and turned in another direction.

 

“See you tomorrow Chunji.” With that, both boys parted ways and Chanhee found himself reeling in horror when he saw the first boy walk past him.

 

So that was Chunji. It was clear now why the girl mistook Chanhee for him.

 

He was the spitting image of Chanhee; an exact replica of him.

 

Chanhee did his best to muffle his screams with his hands, letting high-pitched squeaks escape from his fingers.

 

Oh, hell. Maybe staying in the mirror was a better idea.

 

a/n: Really sorry that I took so long to put up this chapter OTL, I was working on my entry for a writing contest and I was dead tired with all the other work I had to do. x.x I'll try to update more often, but then school's starting soon so that might get in the way. T_____T Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter! ^^