Dinner Date, Not

'The moment we stop being friends'

At past 8:30 in the evening, I found myself ringing the doorbell of Lee’s apartment.

It was the third bell when finally the door opened. In the narrow opening, Hongki’s head peeped out.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Uhm well— you—well you know—uhmm—“ I stammered.

Looking impatient he pushed the door close but before he could, I abruptly threw my weight against the door to prevent it from closing, “I was just about to ask—uhmm—is there any home works for tomorrow?” I couldn’t think of any excuse anymore.

“There’s none,” he once again forcefully pushed the door but I’m quite heavy you know.

“Kidariseyo!!! Stop pushing please, I just want to ask if you have already eaten?!” in my relief he stopped pushing but still didn’t open the door wide for us to talk peacefully.

“I haven’t. Waeyo?”

“Let’s have dinner at our place then.”

He thought for a while, “Are you asking me on a date?”

My face got distorted in disbelief. Date? What is he talking about?

He chuckled.

Wow! He actually could laugh. With that smile, no wonder he’s popular.

“That was the funniest face I’ve ever seen. We’ll chakamanyo I’ll just change my clothes.”

“Wait you don’t have to change? It’s not like a date!!!” I protested.

“Then you wouldn’t mind if I we eat dinner together and the only thing I’m wearing is a towel?” he smirked.

My mouth gapped. That was when I grasped that his hair was dripping and that’s why he didn’t open the door widely and that’s why he was forcefully driving me away. He just came out from the shower!

I turned my back to him feeling the blood rush to my face. “I’m sorry I didn’t realize you were—well I better wait for you inside,” I rushed to our apartment before I could immerse myself in embarrass even more.

I heard him chuckle as I walk away.

Babo. Babo.

~~

“Where’s your parents?” Hongki suddenly spoke up; he was at our living room, while I set the table for us.

“They’re at work right now. They’ll be here by midnight, maybe. What about you?”

“They’re at work too though they seldom come home. But that’s okay since I’m kind of used to it by now and I’m already 18 anyway. I can leave on my own.”

“Oh so you’re a year older than me?” I laughed.

“Call me oppa then,” his voice sounded serious but kind of sarcastic.

I laughed even more. “I’ll pay you if you manage to make me call you oppa, Hong—ki—ssi. Well for now, the food’s ready.”

I heard footsteps rushed to the kitchen and as I spun around from the sink, he was already seated in dinning table.

I took off the apron and sat opposite him.

“Jalmukesumneda,” he said as he dug in.

I watched his first sip with expectance. I was kind of nervous because of the fact that I lack culinary skills. Of all the things to comfort him why the hell invite him to dinner. Ji Yeon, babo ya? I don’t know for what reason but learning he had been so lonely in school for a damned cause I felt a sense of responsibility to make him feel like there’s still someone who wanted to make friends with him, not because of his face but because of whom he is.

 He suddenly stopped and looked at me with a sour face. “What the hell did you put in this?”

“W-waeyo?” I should’ve guessed this response but not this kind of respond. He can try to be gentle you know, I stammered as tears surprisingly formed in my eyes. I felt my lips quiver and my face turned red-hot. Somehow, the feeling seemed familiar.

He’s face was shocked as I thought it wouldn’t be. After a moment of him being stoned-on-the-spot, he started eating—hungrily. That time, my tears stopped in astonishment. I thought it was bad?

~~

“A-are you alright?” I asked as I knocked at the toilet’s door with guilt eating me up. “You shouldn’t have eaten all of it if it was that bad.”

“No it wasn’t bad. It’s just that my stomach can’t take a lot of food at the same time. That’s just normal right?” Hongki explained as he did his thing.

“Well yes but,” I sighed. “I’ll make you some tea then.”

~~

“Are you alright now?” I asked. We we’re seated at the living as he finished the tea I prepared for him.

“Yeah kind of.”

“I’m sorry I made you eat such.”

“No I should be the one who’s asking for forgiveness right now. What I said was the worst thing to say to someone who worked so hard in order to please me. I’m sorry.”

I couldn’t respond. The first time I met him, he was too stubborn but what I am seeing right now was the opposite. Maybe he is a good man after all.

“Where were you staying before you moved here anyway?” he asked out of the blue.

“Daejeon.”

“Near Gyejoksan?”

“Oh! How’d you know?” I asked in disbelief. Does he have a special ability or something?

Catching me unprepared, he smiled. A smile I’m sure I have seen before, a smile which was not only showed by his lips but also his eyes, the exceptional beauty of that smile. It reminded me of someone I have been longing for to see, my first friend, Lee Hongki. I mentally gasped as I realized, Lee Hongki? Is that why his name sounded familiar? Don’t tell me my childhood friend, Lee Hongki and this angel-like Lee Hongki in front of me is the same?

What happened next was just as unexpected as my apprehension is. He held my arms and pulled me into a tight hug. Then he whispered to my ear in very excited tone, “I missed you fatty-ah.”