Chapter 3

I Don't Need A Man

It's Saturday. I wake up in a start because of a bad dream and find out it was still six in the morning. I can’t remember what the dream was. I just remember that it involved a man… coming closer to me. A man. I don’t need another man in my life. Please. Brothers, father, bestfriends, and brothers’ friends was enough. Enough right? I don’t want or need another. Oh, my head hurts. So is my stomach.

I stepped out of my bed and stalks out of my bedroom toward the bathroom on the end of the corridor where my other two brothers’ room are to find it already occupied. Oh God. Early In the morning and the bathroom is occupied. I knocked on the door and no answers. I knock harder. “Oppa!!! Come out! I need the bathroom!” I shout as loud as I can.

“I’m not done! Wait!” Joong Ki Oppa’s voice, I recognized, yells from inside the bath room.

“Jakeun Oppa!!! Hurry up!!!” My stomach is starting a riot on its own. “Pleaseee!”

“Not done yet, honey! Another half an hour,” he yells back.

“Argh!” And with that I kick the bathroom door and flee downstairs. I knock over my first brother’s room and hit the door with my head in process. He sit up in shock by the noise. He, still topless and only in his pajama pants, stares at me in trance while I storm to his bathroom. “Emergency!” I yell to him before barging in to his bathroom.

I go back to his room when I finish doing my business and find him cuddles back to his blanket. It is still cold here, he didn’t turn on the heater. Silly. So I went to his bed side and pull the bed cover higher to his chin. He opened his eyes half lidded and smile. “Omma..,” he says.

“It’s me, Oppa…,” I smile back. He missed Omma so much. I can’t remember Omm. I was only five when she passed away, turned Appa into a workaholic. “It’s Hyo Na…,” I say while caressing his face.

He blinkes a few times before he put his hand on my head and start caressing it. “Sure, it’s you. What was I thinking?” He sighs and then taps a space on the bed and opened the bed cover. I know what he means, so I climb the bed and snuggle in his arm. We’ve been doing this a lot of time, since I was little. Every time I scared of rain or thunder or basically afraid of sleeping alone, I will climb on his bed and sleep there while cuddling in his arm. And every time he misses our mom, he will come to my room and sleep next to me. My second and third brother says he got a mental disorder. He did not care. Neither do I. But as he got older… I grow some concern.

“Oppa…,” I whisper.

“Hmm?” he hums while he closed his eyes and hugged me tighter.

“Dong Won-ie Oppa…. Why haven’t you got yourself a girlfriend?”

“Hm?” He opened up his eyes and meet mine. “What are you talking about?”

“No… It’s just, I met Jakeun Oppa’s girlfriends from time to time when he brought them home. I also met some of Magnae Oppa’s girlfriend from his high school time and middle school. Why haven’t you brought anyone home? Why haven’t you introduce me to any girl? Could it be…? You… that?” I raise my eyebrow. I’ve been wondering about this for quite awhile. I mean, if he really is that, I can’t do anything. But I’ll take him for whatever he is. He’s my brother after all.

“What are you talking about? What is that?” he asks and grimacing his face.
“You know… umm… gay?” I grin .

He sit up immediately and glared at me. I almost can feel the heat radiating from his anger.

Uh-oh, I release a monster. “No! No! Oppa! I was just kidding! Of course you’re not that!!! I was just wondering!” I wave my hands quickly. “You know, my imagination is a little wild.”

He takes a deep breath and looked at me in disdain. This is the first time ever he looks at me like that. This is really scary.

“I just want to find a girl like Omma,” he says finally and relaxes his back on the bed.

“Like Omma? People said I look like Omma. You’ll marry me, then?” I joke, he laughes and I rest my back next to him.

“You silly girl. I obviously won’t marry a nosy girl like you, who can only barging into my room early in the morning to use my toilet,” he pinches my cheek. “Though you do look a lot like her.” He smiles again, he's not mad again. Phew.

“I do?” I smile back. I heard other ahjummas around the house kept saying that. But hearing it straight from the person she raised and loving her is different. I feel close to my Mom, even if I don't remember her much.

“You do,” he nods. I smile wider and he caresses my head again.

“Tell me more about Omma...,” but it seems that I have to wait, because right at that moment the door bell rings. I look at the clock and it's still 7 in the morning and it is Saturday. Who comes to someone’s house early in the morning? And what for? “I’ll get that.” I tell him and went to the front door grumbling.

The door bell rings again. Have patient please? You have to eat patient three times a day, or no one can stand you. Like me now, I cannot stand you, whoever you are that standing outside my lawn. “Yes?! Who is it? Do you know it’s still 7 and it’s Saturday? No visit allowed.”

The man outside my lawn chuckles as I saw in the monitor. Who is it? I’ve never seen that face before. “Sorry, I’m looking for Seo Il Woo. Is he here?”

“Oppa is still sleeping. Come back at 12 maybe?” I said and it just made him smile wider. Okay, what's with that smile? It looks… uh… cute? No no… impossible. No boys are cute, cute are for dogs, or ponies, not boys. I shake my head.

“You’re his magnae dongsaeng, right? I’ve heard a lot about you and your hate of disturbance,” he smiles again. “Now, Seo Hyo Na-ssi… I have something to do with your Il Woo Oppa, please let me in. We need to finish a project which due Monday.” He waves me some book in his arm and I huff before I open the gate for him. I open the front door waiting for him to climb up some stairs to reach the front door. I stand there crossing my arms on my chest.

He stand before me and smiles. My first impression is… tall. This person is tall. Taller than any of my brother. Maybe a little less than Taek Yeon, but still. Tall.

“Who are you and how do you know my name?” I ask him straightly.

“I told you I’m a friend of Il Woo and he talks about you a lot,” he says again.

“Name?” I was wondering if he will say 'my name is Il-Woo’s-Friend'. What a pity.

“Kim Soo Hyun,” he says before flashing that smile again. What is this? Is he trying to hold his laugh? Is he laughing at me? I don’t like this guy.

“What are you smiling at? What are you laughing at? I don’t like to be laugh at. You should know that”. I glare at him.
He shakes his head but smiles wider. “I understand.”

“Okay, get in. I’ll wake Magnae Oppa up for you,” I say, pointing at the sofa and go upstairs without looking back. I bet he’s laughing again. Humph.

I knock my third brother’s door with a back. “Oppa!!!! Magnae Oppa!!!! You have a guest!!!”

I put my ear on the door and hear a grumbling voice. “Five more minutes,” he says.

That’s it. I barge in, door unlocked. No one’s locking the door in this house. It’s a rule my oldest brother made since my second brother almost burned down the house when he locked himself in his room and doing some kind of things with his friend using some candles. So yes, no door locked since that day. I barge in and find him still sleeping on his bed.

“Oppa, your friend’s coming,” I say, shaking his body up.

“Which friend?” He asks half sleeping.

“Kim Soo Hyun-ssi. He said that’s his name.”

“Soo Hyun-ie? Why would he come early in the morning?”He asks again, starting to wake up.

“He said you have to finish some project,” I grabbed a t-shirt that's lying on the floor and throw it at him. “Wear some clothes when you get down. Why is every male in this house sleep with no clothes on? What would you say if I sleep with no clothes on?”

“No!!!” I heard two different yells. One from my third brother and another one from the corridor, where my second brother already looking stylish.

“I won’t! It’s cold even with clothes on.” I closed my third brother’s door, leaving him wearing his t-shirt on. “And where is my handsome Oppa’s going to? It’s Saturday,” I cling my arm in his arm.

“Work,” he says. “I need to finish some shots.” He ruffles my already messy hair.

“Why?” I walk down the stairs arm in arm with him. “Why can’t you just stay home? You can take me to Lotte World or Everland. You haven’t take me there for a couple of years now… since you’ve been always recognize everywhere.” I cling to him tighter. We walk past Kim Soo Hyun who just nods to my brother as we walked to the front door.

My brother nodded back. “Il Woo will come any second, Soo Hyun-ah,” He put his arm around me as if showing me off to the guy. “You’ve met my sister?”

“What? Wait? You know Magnae Oppa’s friend? How?” I look at the two guys. “I don’t even know him.”

“Oh, he comes often enough. I met him in the morning or noon when he comes over with Il Woo. You’re still in school,” he explains to me. I look at Kim Soo Hyun and he just smiles. I shrug. “Aish, be polite. He’s three years older than you!” He push my head down, telling me to bow at the guest.

“Ah.. Oppa… it hurts, my neck!” I hit his side with my palm repeatedly.

“Say hello,” he says again.

“Hyung... it’s okay. You’re hurting her…,” I hear Kim Soo Hyun’s voice.

“It’s okay Soo Hyun-ah… be polite and call him Oppa,” my brother says again.

I grit my teeth, looking at the floor. Damn, being the youngest is no fun, I’m telling you. “Annyeong Haseyo, Kim Soo Hyun-ssi…,” then I pull up my head but he held it still. “Oppa! I did what you told me to do! Let me go!”

“I said call him Oppa…,” he says again.

“Hyung…,” I heard Kim Soo Hyun’s voice sounds a little worry. “It’s okay.”

“Soo Hyun Oppa…, how are you?,” finally I able to pull up my head, and I shoot my brother a hatred look. How could he. Doing that in front of a guest. But he just smiles to me innocently. An actor's fake smile.

“From now on, you call him Oppa, and call Choi Daniel ‘ssi’, okay?” he says and ruffles my hair.

I hit his hand and throw it aside. “I don’t want to! I’ll keep saying Daniel Oppa!” I stick tongue out and then I run back to my room, I run into Il Woo Oppa in process. “I hate Joong Ki Oppa!” I tell him.

“What?” but I already running back to my room when I hear him saying. “Now Jakeun Hyung, what have you done?”