Chapter One

Nerd Club

 

Everyone was having a good time. Eunji was hosting tonight and it wasn't any less than the other sleep overs. All the girls were extremely privileged so it never mattered who hosted. Their houses were the finest in every aspect: land, exterior, interior. What else could be expected of the top class at Yeoksam High School? They were the rich of the rich.

The seven girls had gone through most of the standards set for their sleepovers: try on each others' clothing, watch a recent movie, talk while eating light snacks and using facial masks. All that was left was the midnight game. Eunji, being the host, had the privilege of drawing from the purse of games; it was decided that the girls would attempt truth or dare that night.

They sat around in a wide circle with their plush pillows and goose filled blankets beside them; after the final tradition, they would sleep. Their truth or dare was filled with giggles and careful questions with side ways glances. 

"Okay, last one of the night!" Taeyeon assured the girls. They were tired but none of them would sleep until given the okay from Suzy. Taeyeon was powerful in her own right and could make menial decisions in absence or approval of Suzy. She could overtake Suzy if she really wanted to, but being a leader didn't sit well with her; it had so much responsibility and she was a kid--on the inside, at least.

It was Lizzy's turn and her victim would be Yoonhee. Lizzy was cute girl, always cheery. She didn't mean harm; Lizzy just wanted to get to sleep she blurted out the first thing that came to mind when Yoonhee chose dare.

"Okay, why don't you," Lizzy paused to let out several giggles,"go join those losers in that club." All the girls leaned back in confusion and Lizzy's eyes widened after realizing her mistake. She quickly elaborated.

"NERD Club! I remember Ms. Kwon talking about it one day. Right, IU?" IU, her real name Jieun, rubbed her eyes tiredly and nodded in consideration. 

"It's some sort of weird study group. I think there's only, like, two members." The girls bit their lips and searched through their knowledge of designer brands and names of cute boys to recollect about a club that mentioned perhaps once in their entire lives. It only when Suzy's face lit up that NERD Club became the least bit relevant.

"Lizzy! You're a genius," Suzy called out with an elated expression before turning to Yoonhee,"Yoonhee, you should do it." She turned to Suzy with a confused look, as did the other girls. No one knew what Suzy was getting at and they needed to find out soon because not being in the loop was dangerous. 

As if she predicted the reactions, Suzy laughed merrily and continued on,"You see, our dear Yoonhee will go join those stupid nerds and report back every month. It'll be fun, I promise!" From there, nothing else mattered. Suzy wanted Yoonhee to give herself up to losers ten thousand social classes below them and that is exactly what would happen. None of the girls would question her and Yoonhee surely would not go against the leader's commands.

Besides, everyone was so sleepy.

So after Suzy melodically rambled on about the plan, all the girls struggled to stay awake and take mental notes at the same time. Finally, at one in the morning, everything was finalized more or less and they could rest. 

 

"Oh my gosh! Look at these dark bags!" Tia whines as she put on her makeup. She was a good distance away from Suzy, so she could complain without worry. However, IU and Eunji weren't so lucky and brushed on the powder quietly. No one would risk letting Suzy catch wind of their ungratefulness. 

As the girls all got ready, Eunji's maids and cooks worked on breakfast. It was barely a hard time, all the girls ever ate was low fat, low calorie, high protein, and other high-low combination foods. It wasn't as confusing as it sounded; egg whites and soy milk were two regularities. By the time the seven waltzed downstairs, the food was laid out and ready. Breakfast chit chat consisted of quiet chuckles and subtle compliments.

The girls were not late to school despite their extended beautifying and breakfast times. Of course, it wouldn't matter if they were late or not regardless; all their fathers were top contributors to the school. They were the reason there were no uniforms; they were reason lunch was favorably edible; they were the reason the disciplinary system was flawed. However, despite all the power the girls had, their grades could not and would not be touched by their fathers, but this is not to say they hadn't found other ways to cheat out the grading system.

They all rode together in two separate black Hyundai Equus Limousine cars. Lack of space was mainly the reason they needed two, and the girls didn't want to ride to school in "stretched out" limousines. Suzy, Taeyeon, and Lizzy rode in the first car while Eunji, IU, Yoonhee, and Tia rode in the second. It was no mistake how they organized themselves. Taeyeon and Lizzy were both upperclassmen while Suzy was the leader; the rest were year two's excluding Tia, their youngest member. 

Promptly, the seven girls arrived in front of the school gates. Each one gracefully exited their respectful vehicle and began a supercilious walk toward the school halls. People parted for them to walk without having to look, though almost everyone did anyway. Who wouldn't look? All seven girls walking as if they were super models, gracing the hallways and the everyday lives of the students; it was a blessing.

Naturally, the girls broke off and headed for their respective classes one by one. Yoonhee hitched her designer saddle bag up on her shoulder when she felt the grip slipping and entered her classroom with disdain. Yoonhee didn't have any of the seven to talk to in here; though there were girls that were close enough in social class that she could fraternize with, she would not go farther than polite chit-chat. Most, if not all, would use a newly acquired friendship with one of the seven to move up. Everyone was so greedy and everyone was so careful in her world.

Yoonhee daintily placed herself in her seat and allowed a practiced smile to appear on her face. It would be three long hours before she could reunite herself with the other six. It was no coincidence they all had the same lunch period.

 

At lunch, Suzy had come with more exciting details of Yoonhee's expedition into the world of loser. She seemed overly enthused, even to curious onlookers who strained their ears in vain of catching conversations, and the girls did not know why. Sure, Suzy cared for them, in the way a master would to dogs, but she never bothered to go through so much work unless she had a reason. That reason was clouded in opaque purple mist, however. Regardless of all their confusion, no one would speak up. 

Suzy had gone through all the trouble of collecting the club information; she even filled out the application form for Yoonhee. All Yoonhee had to do was to show up today at the club meeting. She took in all the information with a open acceptance, but inside she was upset. Even more so when she knew there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. Yoonhee had no power over Suzy, especially now when she was practically being ostracised.

When the lunch bell indifferently rang, everyone rose and walked back to class. The second half of Yoonhee's school day wasn't absolutely dreaded. She had classes with IU. IU had long hair that reached her mid-back and a pretty face. Yoonhee knew enough about her to know she deserved to be one of the seven, but other than that, IU could be a stranger. Of course, they talked and joked with each other, but real depth never appeared in their eyes or conversations. They were both pieces on the board and that could not extend any farther without eliciting response of the others. Everyone had to be at a harmonious relationship, no two closer than the others. 

The teacher had conveniently placed the two next to each other when he assigned seats so they conversed at a mild pace, keeping mind to take notes. One thing Yoonhee did know specifically about IU was that she was bright. It was not taboo to be smart, but showing such intelligence was dangerous. A girl could become a greater threat and then blink out of the top class without remorse. Yoonhee was not sure for the other girls, but she knew IU was playing dangerously. She, too, was at hand with swords; Yoonhee liked learning and reading but would never near a library for the life of her.

During a short break, IU and Yoonhee were untouchable by those lower as they conversed.

"I'm so tired. Today's lesson is hard," IU whined cutely. She did it for show, for her image. To these statements Yoonhee replied:

"Right! I miss the other girls." Their talks must be careful and only about safe subjects; no one knew who could be listening. But today there would be slip ups.

"I miss them, too. But what's gotten into Suzy lately?" IU spoke carelessly and she realized it as soon as she said it. Yoonhee's eyes widened and she quickly giggled and touched lightly touch IU's arm.

"Right," Yoonhee exclaimed with much more cheerfulness than before,"She's just been so lovely lately! Wouldn't you say?" IU nodded fervently and smiled, grateful for her quick thinking. The two calmed down a bit when ears in the room perked down disappointedly; for the rest of the brief recess, they only talked of shopping and celebrities.

At last, classes ended and the final bell sounded off with a dismissing scoff. IU bid her goodbyes first and then quickly walked away to her purple Porsche. Yoonhee could not yet escape the never ending stares, though; she had a club meeting to attend


Words: 1,701

Now, there's really no need to read this unless you truly want to; they're just my thoughts. Perhaps not matters of great importance. 

I've completely revamped my writing and this chapter (amongst my threeshot) is an example of this. Hopefully, it pleases? 

There are some parts, I feel, that are only blatant to me since I'm the author. It's okay to not understand everything. Actually, there are some things in there that can only be understood if you really thought about it. They might not be super important, but they are hints. Hints to what? I don't know [insert troll face here]. I do know. But I can't tell you.

I'm put off by the fact there are barely italicized or bolded words. I'm leaving a lot to be interpreted and it's frightening that some dialog or scenes might be washed away. 

I found it very hard to write a few scenes. Most fanfics on here are based around the unpopular girls. No one (and I use the phrase loosely, as there will always be someone) writes about the Populars. So I had little prior experience to write how they converse and interact with each other. These girls are cruel, they are mean--even to each other sometimes. But when other fics aren't focusing on how the popular girls are bullying the innocent main character... what are they doing? (I mean, the popular girls, not the fics... that was a horrible sentence.) We don't know what they're doing! Gossiping? Plotting? How should I know!? I hope I showed the intricate web in which they reside....

I'll end my tangent here...

Oh, but if you're curious as to when the boys will appear: don't get your hopes up, they won't come for a long time.