Hyukjae's confusion

Her broken heart

Hyukjae threw down his pen in frustration. The words for a sorry letter eluded him. The whole IU scandal, though blown over, still hung over him like a dark cloud.

Sure they had dated, but unlike what the photo indicated, there was nothing ual in the relationship. Not in his mind anyways. He had been awestruck when IU showed interest in him. Which fanboy wouldn't?! And thus their relationship began, with him fawning over her and her loving every minute of it.

What surprised him was how quickly he wanted out. What he had thought would be a fantasy come true turned into his worst nightmare. Her advances scared him, and slowly the relationship became a source of frustration. Frustration that the fan boy fantasy was nothing like he had dreamed of, or that their was much greater than he could have ever imagined, and finally realising that his true feelings for her were nothing more than brotherly affection.

And with that in mind, he had quickly ended the relationship. He could no longer lie to himself nor could he stand to see her fall for him even more.

She thought it was him needing to slow down, and was willing to give him time to consider. When he told her otherwise, she said, "you'll be back." No matter what he said to convince her that he perceived her as nothing more than a sister, she persisted. He entertained her calls and texts in an attempt to maintain their friendship. But as days turned into weeks, she became desperate, calling everyday and begging for him to take her back. Then it all stopped one day.

He hadn't noticed at first, as he had been busy with a new mv. It was not until the news reached him about the photo being posted that he realised. It didn't take him long before remembering their last conversation.

"Why haven't you answered my texts all day?"
"Aish, sorry, but i was busy with a new music video today..."
"Poor Eunhyuk oppa! But i didn't know that Super Junior was making a new music video!"
"No no, this MV is with SM dancers."
"Oh! I can't wait to see it! It must have been fun dancing with everyone. But I know for sure that Oppa was the best!"
"Always! But Hyo really stunned me, it's been awhile since she got to showcase her skills!"
"Hyoyeon-unnie?! But i thought this was just SM dancers?!"
"Hyo is one of the best dancers that I know! Much better than many male dancers."
"Oh... She must be very good then... Oppa, you must be so tired, go sleep!"

That's when he realised, IU had posted out of jealousy. He had not seen the photo until later, thinking it just was an accident, but when he did see the photo, he knew it was not at all an accident. What annoyed him was the most was the photo manipulation. She had intentionally cropped the photo, so that his left shoulder and oversized shirt were removed.

And because of that manipulation, he was sitting there, writing, scratch that, attempting to write, a letter to ask for forgiveness.

Hyo had been so pissed at him, and rightfully so, because he had never told her about IU and his relationship. As she was his best friend, she had a right to know. He had reasoned that it was because Hyo had been busy with her schedule at the time, but somehow they had managed to communicate at least multiple times in a week. She had ceased all communication with him, and knowing her, probably wouldn't even read his messages. Letters were the way to go write? Girls like that kind of stuff...

"Dear Hyo choding," was as far as he got.

Hyukjae's phone rang, and he was surprised to see it was IU calling. She hadn't answered any of his calls since the scandal, avoiding his inquiries about why she posted the photo. He hesitated but answered. She was sorry for the photo, sorry that it hurt his image, so would he please forgive her? She was calling now because she needed to make amends and also to let him know, she would no longer make a fool of herself. "Oppa, I know your heart lies with someone else, i have known since before we dated, so it would be foolish of me to pursue you any longer" "What do you mean?" "You and Hyoyeon...unnie. Oppa, i have seen you with her! You got upset when she called you Eunhyuk backstage but not once have you corrected me when i called you Eunhyuk in private! You always mentioned her when we were together, and you were constantly texting her too! I posted the photo only after i saw the maxstep video because i was so jealous! She looked so pretty and she was so good at dancing! She matches you so well! And you fit into her ideal type so well, and i know she has a major crush on you!" The line then went silent except for IU's sobs. Hyukjae didn't know what to say, "I... I never knew..." "It's ok, i accept it now. Goodbye oppa, I just needed to tell you I will no longer pine over you."