he was just curious...

Noise Cancellation

 

Kangin often wonders about that student at the far back seat at the rightmost corner of the room, when you’re facing the entire class, why there’s always that black, classic headphone over his ears except in class of course. It was almost mandatory for him to wear them the moment the school bells signal the end of school. Kangin doesn’t have anything against him or his habit, he was just curious is all.

 

Shindong likes listening to music, he doesn’t have much problem with whatever genre he is listening to. He doesn’t want to keep himself on one thing when he knew music is as versatile and diverse as the people that make them. People knew that, they knew that Shindong has good ears and would occasionally ask him for his opinion – would Tchaikovsky blend well with a suspense-romance play? What song would most likely impress the music teacher? What’s your stand about people saying Mozart’s music can make babies genius?

 

Shindong has answers for almost each and every question and if he doesn’t he’d ask for some time, as for Mozart’s music in relation to making geniuses… he agrees that most, if not all, songs with sharp keys help the person to think or study while house music, with its monotonous, stagnant melody won’t be too helpful. For an expounded explanation, ask Mr. Google or Sir Wikipedia, he'd say in the least sarcastic way possible.

 

 

 

Kangin knew Shindong wasn’t a loner or an outcast, though whenever he sees him by himself with headphones on, as usual, he can’t help but think he looks more the part – only a bit, just a tiny bit cooler.

 

Shindong, as much as he thinks everything contributes to the birth of music, he doesn’t like certain sounds and he calls it ‘noise’. And that’s why he rarely goes to night clubs and whenever he does it doesn’t take him longer than an hour before he leaves. For his social health, he convinces himself.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Kangin saw a phone left on the table, he noticed that the owner was not too far yet and tried calling. It took him awhile though, he was surprised that Shindong didn’t have any headphones over his ears. Shindong didn’t turn however, and Kangin had no choice but to catch up to him.

 

Shindong felt slightly annoyed and curious as to why and who could be pulling his arm rather harshly.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled as he takes off one ear bud from his ear, gesturing that he didn't heard the speaker. He saw the person handing him a phone then he noticed his pocket being lighter than usual and put the two thoughts together.

“You left this,” Kangin said, slightly breathless.

Shindong took the phone, smiling apologetically. “Thanks Kangin.”

Kangin asked in a surprised tone, “You know my name?”

Shindong softly chuckled, “We are classmates,” he drawls as he looked as Kangin curiously, “But I didn’t know you work at the café. Does the school know?”

Kangin mentally slaps himself in the face as he tries to keep a cool front, “It’s my dad’s. I help when I’m free.”

Shindong nodded. “Well, thanks again.” and Shindong waves goodbye before taking his bus.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Kangin noticed that since the last time, Shindong has been a patron of their café, at least weekly. He also noticed that Shindong’s headphones are different, it’s white with teal accent at the edges. Since last time, they’ve exchange more words than they usually do – usual conversations in school. Still, they weren’t enough to give him the courage to ask about the headphones. And since last time, Kangin noticed he couldn’t take his eyes off of Shindong anymore, with or without his headphones he’d found himself stealing glances at the other. ! This is bad Kangin slapped his self mentally.

 

Shindong had noticed, for quite some time, a pair of eyes boring the back of his head, at times his side profile and other times his face itself. But this kind of stare don’t feel dangerous, more like inquisitive and interested so when he found out by chance from whom they came from he was surprised. Kangin was almost close to his pet peeves – noise – so when he knew he was the mysterious gazer it piqued his interest. He didn’t find an answer but he found himself being attracted to his classmate instead.

 

 

*~*~*

 

It was study period but Kangin was too tired to study any further, he felt that his brain would explode if he’d try to read one paragraph of anything or understand one more formula. He decided to escape to the library as some had, at least he could pretend that he’s thinking while stacking books in front of him. He was giving himself a pat for his brilliant idea as he strode to the farthest corner of the noiseless library when he noticed someone carry out his plan. It was Shindong and his black, classic headphones. He carefully drops his things on the table’s side opposite to Shindong.

 

 

“Tails,” he whispers before uncovering his hand over the other. He had flipped a coin to finalize what he was going to do – take the headphones off or not – just for a short time.

 

He carefully treads to Shindong’s side, glancing left then right, making sure that no one was around as he executes his idiotic plan as he believes so. He gingerly slides the headset off Shindong’s head, a few dark locks misplaced as he successfully did so. “There’s nothing,” he mumbles, confused, when he hears not a sound when he puts the headphones over his ears. Has Shindong been hearing nothing all along? But Kangin could clearly see that it was connected to his Ipod, though it was faced down, so he flips it, perhaps it was just out of battery but it wasn’t.

 

“Curiosity kills the cat,” Shindong suddenly nonchalantly says and surprised Kangin making him jerk back, bringing the mp3 with him. Luckily, his reflexes were fast and he was able to catch it before anything else could happen. Shindong laughed softly when he saw the horrified expression Kangin had.

 

 

 

Shindong and Kangin sat across each other, the former letting his headphones hang around his neck for a change, crossing his arms over his torso, sitting laid back while Kangin sits with his back straight and tense as if he was an elementary troublemaker kid sitting in front of the principal, about to be scolded.

“I’m sorry I just…” Kangin starts with a mumbled apology, “I should’ve just asked instead of doing some ninja imitation,” he sighed feeling embarrassed and could do nothing but keep his head low. “But why?”

Shindong, amused, softly chuckles, they were still in the library after all. “I hate noise,” he answers off-handedly, “And even with nothing on, as long as I put them on, they still somehow muffle out voices. And it keeps people away.”

“You don’t like people coming to you?” Kangin asked with wide surprised eyes. “Well, they do seem a bit clingy.”

“It’s okay. Them asking for advices but as you say they can be a bit clingy.” He shrugs. Kangin nods. “But it seems to give an opposite effect on you,” Shindong looks at Kangin with suspicious, calculative eyes.

“So you’ve been watching me for a long time?” Kangin said a bit confident and copied how Shindong sat.

Slightly taken aback but still poised, Shindong leans with both elbows on the table, letting his arms cross at the wrist area and his hands dangle at the edge of the table, a smirk playing on his lips.

“When you’ve got a pair of eyes constantly on you, how could I not?” Shindong commented smartly. Kangin became stiff, he kept lock of Shindong’s gaze while he thinks of a comeback. Shindong heaves a sigh before putting his things inside his bag. “Now you know the mystery behind Shindong and his headphones, I wonder would you still keep on observing him.”

 

 

“Yes.”

 

It was just a meaningless question, almost like a joke to ease the sudden awkward silence but with the immediate serious answer, it caused another pregnant pause. Kangin was even surprised with himself. Suddenly, one of their classmates went over their table and told them study period was over and after getting their affirmative nods, he left without as much as look back. Kangin made a mental note to thank him for keeping things more awkward as it was already.

 

“Is it okay?” Kangin finally asked, as they slowly walked the aisle side by side.

“No.” Kangin thought his heart would break, he never even thought his heart would break. “Why should my boyfriend be watching me from afar when he could just stay by my side?”

Kangin stopped. “B-boy… f-friend…?” he whispers, surprised, shocked, stuttering.

Shindong looked back, and took a few steps back until he was side by side Kangin again. “Oh, sorry, if it’s too fast we could just be best –”

“No.” Kangin abruptly answered then composed himself. “But you’d be needing your headphones often, I can be totally noisy.”

“That’s okay I’ve,” Shindong’s eyes narrowed as he tries to search for a good word, “Accustomed myself to it.”

“But I go clubbing at least once a month, and I like rock music and…”

Shindong chuckles. “It’s okay, really.” Kangin sticks out his lower lip as he nod but the minute they left the library Kangin was ambushed by their classmates and almost caused them trouble for being too loud and Kangin was dragged away from Shindong no matter how much he protests.

 

 

Kangin though rough and has a husky-like tone of voice, he wasn’t harsh or threatening just playful and mischievous. And while Shindong tries to tolerate people though he hates the racket, Kangin is often times found at the center of it. He was about to replace his headphones over his ears and was even debating of using earplugs insead but Shindong stops, tucks his headset back in the bag. He shrugs, it wasn't the kind of sound he liked but it wasn't difficult - focusing on the one voice he finds himself at peace with and everything else unnecessary is cancelled out.

 

THE END.

 


 

a/n: so you might wonder if i'm advertising tokkiberry GS. yep. the shop's is celebrating it's one year of service to the AFFcitizenry. so as part of celebration they have this giveaway contest and i'm joining for the fun of it. and with inner hopes of winning something lol lol. Edit:giveaway done.