Janus, Part One

Janus: You're Not A Bad Girl

 

----------

 

“I need to talk to you. Can I see you?” A voice said on the other line.

“Sure,” Youngmin sweetly replied.

 

----------

 

“Meet me in 5 minutes.” She demanded.

“Yeah. Make it quick.” Kwangmin answered.

 

----------

 

“I am heading out.” Youngmin fixed his white tie on his way to the door.

“Where are you headed off to at this hour?” Jeongmin placed his AllRoman Newspaper on the table. He walked over to Youngmin and brushed stardust off of his shoulder. “Donghyun said he requested for you to study tonight. I believe you have a meeting with the royal family tomorrow.”

“We ARE the royal family,” Youngmin snickered.

“I mean the other royal family.” Jeongmin patted Youngmin on the arm. “We need to negotiate with the ‘others’ in order to assure the safety of our kingdom. As the rising Protector and Prince of Light, you need to be on your best behavior.”

“I am always on my best behavior.” Youngmin smiled. “I am just going to meet Ji Hyun and quickly return. It will not take long. I anticipate on studying quietly in my room before Donghyun even comes down to check on me.”

Jeongmin gasped. “Are you going to ask Ji Hyun to be your you-know-what?”

“My you-know-what? What would that be?” Youngmin asked innocently.

Jeongmin jumped up and down. “Your wife! You -”

“Shhhh!” Youngmin covered Jeongmin’s mouth. “You are too noisy. I do not want the servants spreading rumors in the palace.”

“Let us leave before we are found!” Two eaves dropping servants scurried away.

“Too late.” Jeongmin chuckled.

Youngmin sighed deeply.

“A Prince does not frown. Everyone in the royal palace already knows of your plan to be betrothed to Ji Hyun. The butlers are quite anxious, actually. They thought you were going to ask last week when you took her on that carriage ride around the City.”

Youngmin smiled at the memory. “I was initially going to but we were having so much fun that I forgot.”

“Well, you must not forget this time. The Queen is getting impatient as well.” Jeongmin nudged Youngmin.

“Mother knows of Ji Hyun?” Youngmin pouted.

“Who knows not?” Jeongmin pushed Youngmin to the doors. “Make haste! Let this night be shrouded with good intentions and eternal happiness!” Once Youngmin was out of sight, Jeongmin shut the doors. “The smile on that boy’s face! It is the smile of a King.”

Jeongmin sat back down on his chair and continued to read his AllRoman Newspaper. “‘The Prince of Darkness to have a new Princess’?” He read off the headline. “And here is the cold eyes of the Prince of Darkness himself.” He stared at the picture of the Prince of Darkness. “I still find it odd that the Prince of Darkness and my Youngmin look so a like. It is as if they are twins.” He tilted his head. “No, impossible.”

He turned the page. “‘The Heartbreak of Janus’? ‘Heart breaks bring out the Janus in the City’s men.’ What in all of Rome is that supposed to mean?” He thought for a second. “Well, when Venus dumbed me three months ago...” He frowned. “Aw, now I am sad.” He turned back to the picture with the Prince of Darkness.

“I wonder if this Prince has ever felt heart broken.”

 

----------

 

“Leave me alone.” Kwangmin rushed past.

“But I’m tryinna tell you the vision I had today.” Minwoo followed Kwangmin. “It’s about you and Ji Hye. And it ain’t lookin too good for the two of you. She told you to meet her, right?”

Kwangmin grabbed Minwoo by the collar. “How do you know that? Were you eavesdropping again?”

“I'm not an eavesdropper, I'm psychic! How many times do I need to remind you?” Minwoo pushed Kwangmin away. “Geez. You’re a cranky Prince of Darkness.”

“I’m going!” Kwangmin’s voice echoed throughout his palace.

“Don’t you wanna hear my vision?” Minwoo persisted.

“I don’t want to hear your stupid vision. Last time, you said that I was gonna step in a richly substance.”

“And you did. Horse poop is rich in calcium and nutrients.” Minwoo laughed.

Kwangmin glared at Minwoo.

“Ok, ok. No visions, I get it.” Minwoo backed away.

“Good.” Kwangmin walked out of the palace.

“Hope you have a terrible night!” Minwoo waved Kwangmin off.

“Where’s he going?” Hyunseong came up next to Minwoo at the doorway.

“Ji Hye demanded him to meet her.” Minwoo replied. “Hyung, I had a vision.”

“Bye.” Hyunseong walked away.

“Wait! Don’t you wanna hear it?” Minwoo followed him.

“I don’t wanna hear another one of your stupid visions. I don’t wanna repeat of the last time you ‘had a vision’.”

“I said I was sorry.”

“Say that to my butchered pet snake.”

Minwoo rubbed his tummy. “I did. He was delicious.” Hyunseong pushed Minwoo into the wall. “Geez, everyone is so cranky today.”

“If I listen to your vision, will you leave the entire palace alone for a whole day? We can’t have you running around telling visions to our guest of honor tomorrow night.”

“The Royal family of No-One-Cares-City is visiting? Why?” Minwoo whined.

“We need to determine the borderline of our two cities and talk about ‘combining our power to save the world’ and .”

“I could pretend that I had a vision that the compromise would be the end of the world, literally.” Minwoo suggested.

“That’s terrible!” Hyunseong exclaimed. “I love it. But this is the meeting will determine whether or not Kwangmin is fit for King so we can’t mess this up for him.”

“Are you sure? It’d be fun to screw this up.”

Hyunseong paused. “Yeah, it’d be fun to see him all upset. If we screwed up his chance of being King, he’d run around breaking everything in his path.”

“Doesn’t it sound like a nice plan?”

“Definitely.” Hyunseong shook his head. “But no. Kwangmin promised me anything I want if I don’t interfere with his meeting tomorrow.”

“He didn’t promise me anything.” Minwoo smirked.

“Don’t be a bad boy.” Hyunseong and Minwoo laughed.

“So, want to hear the vision now? It’s about Kwangmin and Ji Hye.”

 

----------

 

“Hello, love.” Youngmin greeting Ji Hyun. He hugged her tightly.

“Hi. I apologize for calling you to meet me at this odd hour. Am I a bother?” She peered up at Youngmin.

“Never.” He placed her hand at the crook of his elbow and they gracefully walked down the streets of the City.

“Youngmin, I -” Ji Hyun started to say.

“How was you day, my Goddess of Beauty? Enjoyed, I hope. I have great news to share with you once we arrive at our usual spot.” Youngmin tugged her along.

“Youngmin...” Ji Hyun said again.

He looked at her. “What is wrong? You looked distressed.” He hugged her. “You can tell me anything, love.”

She hugged him back. “I am sorry.” She hugged him tighter.

“What for, dear?” Now he sounded distressed.

“Nothing.” She grabbed his hand. “Let us go. I am famished after a day at the salon. Mother insisted that I pretty myself up for the bright future ahead of me; what ever that means.”

“Bright future huh? Let us see where your bright future is headed after this delightful cup of coffee.” Youngmin opened the door to their favorite coffee shop, designed exactly like the royal palace. “I stepped out of the palace just to enter another palace. My life sure is boring.” He joked.

Ji Hyun did not laugh.

The waiter served them their usual drinks. “Augh.” Youngmin’s drink tasted odd. They must not have been able to purify the water in this coffee this late at night.

“You said your mother brought you to a salon today?” Youngmin filled in the silence.

“Yes.” Ji Hyun nodded.

“Did she say anything more of your supposed ‘bright future’?”

She thought. “I do believe she said that I must look fit to be Queen.”

“She said that?” He smirked, amused. “What are your thoughts on that speculation, dear?”

“I think nothing of it.”

Ouch.

“Why do you say such hurtful things?” Youngmin forced a smile. “Should you not be ecstatic to hear such news? Your mother wishes for you to be royalty. It is every girl’s dream. Is it not?”

“What is the use of royalty? Looking fabulous all day while the City grows old and useless. I prefer to do my own good by living and just simply live. Nothing beats the perfection of normal. I-”

“Nonsense!” Youngmin gasped. “What is going on in your head? Did you forget who you are talking to? I am the future King of this City. You must be in a ratched mood to say such things about me.”

She blinked. “But I am in a rather cheery mood.”

“Blasphemy!” Youngmin stood up. “How dare you. You. You.” He sat back down. “Ji Hyun... Do you hate despise royalty that much? If you do, just say so, love. I will turn down the crown and give up my eternal life, if you say so.”

“You would do that for me?” She asked, touched.

“Of course.” He kissed her hand. “I love you, Ji Hyun. Forever and ever. Do you love me as well?”

She hesitated. “I am sorry.”

“Sorry?”

“I mean, yes. Yes, I do love you, Youngmin.”

“So do you wish for me to give up the throne?” He anticipated her answer.

She watched him twitch in nervousness. “No. You were born to be King. I refuse to stand in the way.”

He let out a relieved sigh. “Are you sure?”

“Very.” She smiled. “The thought of you under the King’s crown sounds most delightful.”

“And you under the Queen's crown sounds much more exquisite.”

“You say such odd things, Youngmin.” Ji Hyun lightly punched his arm. “Why bring up the crown that exists upon your mother’s head?”

“Because that very crown will sit upon your pretty head soon enough.” He made her stand up. “Come. Let us take another stroll. The air is very delightful this night.”

She quickly held his arm.

“Again with the silence.” He whined.

“I am just thinking.” She said quietly. “To chase away such bad thoughts, mind telling me a happy story?”

“Happy story? I have not yet told you the story of my childhood, have I?”

“You promised me you would the night we went on a carriage ride.” She responded.

“Then, I shall show you that I am Prince of Promise.” He nudged her. “When I was young, I carried around a crown, for I knew I would be King.”

“You are an only son. Of course you would be King.”

“Quite frankly, I had this inkling that I was in the shadow of someone stronger. That I would not be able to enjoy my coronation. This is not part of the story I wish to tell you but you seem interested.”

She nodded. “Yes, yes. Do go on. You have made me curious.”

“As you wish.” He patted her head. “I used to have these nightmares during my childhood. While everyone in the palace dreamt of wealth and happiness, I dreamt of anger and sorrow. Everyday, I would wake up screaming and my heart would ache for something I never knew I had. I still do not understand the meanings of these dreams.”

“Do you still dream of them?”

“Not quite. I have not dreamt anything sorrowful since you came into my life.”

She scoffed. “Youngmin, you need to think up better sayings. You are much too cliche.”

“But it made you blush, did it not?” He her red cheeks which made her blush even more.

“A-any who.” She turned away.

“Ji Hyun.” Youngmin said in a serious tone. She turned to him. “Tell me in your honest opinion, what do you make of me?”

“I do not understand...”

He faced her and grabbed her hands. “What do you make of me? Am I just royalty to you? A pauper? Common folk?”

“You are filled with a stomach of questions, tonight...”

“There are more questions to come. You fancy me, right?”

“Yes, I do fancy you quite a lot.” She giggled.

He remained emotionless. “And you know that I am immortal.”

“Yes, I am aware.” She said nervously.

“Have you ever wanted to be immortal?”

“I-”

“With me?”

“Youngm-”

He got down on his knees and pulled out a gorgeous diamond ring from his pocket. “Ji Hyun, will you marry me?”

Her surprised expression quickly turned cold. “No.”

 

----------

 

 

Kwangmin walked into the Darkness Lounge. The Lounge was filled with hot, sweaty teenagers that were too busy dancing to notice the Prince of Darkness. He scanned the club. He walked over to the bar when he spotted Ji Hye.

Kwangmin sat next to Ji Hye. She handed him a drink and he took a sip. “Augh. What the hell is this drink?”

“It’s beer.” She grinned. “Still can’t handle beer?” She laughed. “You’re not a real man.”

He took another sip because he was humiliated. “Now that I try it again, it tastes great.”

She rolled her eyes.

“So what do you want?” He asked, taking another sip.

“Nothing.” She ordered her own beer. “Just wanted to see if you’d come down.”

“What the. I freakin came down here to the Lounge because you were testing me?” He gulped down his drink. He tossed it in the trash can and glared at her. “You’re wasting my time.”

She placed her beer down and locked their lips together. She could taste the beer on his lips. He pulled her hips towards his and deepened the kiss. She followed along.

“Am I still wasting your time?” She mocked.

“Yes.” He yanked her into another deep kiss. “But I like wasting time.”

“I thought so.” She grabbed her drink and chugged it all down. “And that’s how you drink beer.”

“That’s pretty damn hot.” He dragged her onto a chair and they snuggled on it. “So why’d you wanna waste my time?”

“Do I need a reason?” She blinked up at him.

“Nope. But I demand one.” He squinted at her.

She hugged his waist. “I was just thinkin about you and I thought it’d be much more fun to see you in person.”

“For an evil girl, you sure are sweet.” He pecked her on the lips. “Y’know, Minwoo said he had a vision of us. He said something about our relationship not lookin too good.”

“That boy is cray.” She laughed.

“He is. Com’on, everyone in Darkness knows our relationship is the best.” He bragged. “You’re evil, I’m evil. You’re hot, I’m the best looking guy around. We both like bunnies.”

“You’re immortal and I’m not.” She said bitterly.

“Are you still mad at me about that? I can’t help it, babe. It runs in the blood.” He her hair. “If you want, you can be immortal with me.”

“Darkness Girl Magazine said not to fall for temptations of immortality.” She teased.

“That’s only because other guys promise stuff they can’t give. I’m not like other guys. I can actually give you everything. Including immortality. Just gotta say the right words.” He kissed her neck.

She pulled him out of the chair and dragged him onto the dance floor. They danced, drank more beer and other stuff teenagers of the City of Darkness do. They were having the time of their lives when Kwangmin came up with an idea. He shouted over the music. “Marry me.”

“What?” She couldn’t hear him.

He pulled her close and whispered in her ear. “Marry me.”

She looked at him, surprised.

“Give me your answer.” He demanded.

She looked down.

He tilted her chin up and kissed her. “Marry me.”

She kept her eyes closed.

He took it that she was shy so he pulled out the ring in his jacket pocket. “Marry me.”

She opened her eyes to the black diamond shining in her face. “I’m sorry.”

“What?” He couldn’t hear her over the booming music.

She tugged him by the arm down to the quiet VIP lounge. Once they arrived at the empty basement floor, Kwangmin pulled Ji Hye into another kiss. “Marry me. How many times do I have to frckn say it?”

She his neck, seductively. He gazed at her with his drunken eyes. “One more time. I want to hear you say it one more time.”

He did what she said. “Ji Hye, marry me.”

Just when he thought she was going to make a move, she shoved him away. “Never.”

 

A/N: Janus is such an amazing song that I couldn't help but write up my own storyline. Just waiting for the English subs for the other tracks in the album. >< Boyfriend keeps getting better and better. So proud of them!!! Congrats, Boyfriend, for your first, amazing full album. Bestfriends! Please vote for Boyfriend's Janus on Mnet! They were in the lead on Friday but TVXQ's fans are a bit more influential. VOTE VOTE VOTE! Let's give Boyfriend their well deserved 1st place!!! Voting ends Monday~~ Anyways, thank you for reading!! ~ Kii-chan <3