The Accident

Soul Sister

 

Unknown sub-division of Paradise; 

 

Min passed the fiery beacon of mellow orange lanterns in the dark river of Paradise and stopped walking once she reached two pillars with large silver coins rotating in slow motion. The light flickered in her soulless eyes as she examined the encrypted symbols engraved into the walls and her lips parted and subconsciously her brain processed them and a revelation crept into her mind but was soon interrupted with an alien pitched voice.

 

“There you are!” A cheerful voice purred.

 

“H-Hey excuse me… what is this place? I just opened my eyes and I-I don’t understand.” Min looke around to see shadow waving a finger in the dim light.

 

“Haha!” The shadow’s finger almost replicated a skeletal bone. “Aiyoo, I’m getting too old for this, oh wait I’m not sure I even have the right to say that! But what I can confirm is ma’am, you’re dead.” She ended, peacefully sipping in her hot mug of Americano.

 

“W-what d-did you—w-what?” Min cursed desperately.

 

“It is exactly what I said.”

 

"Stop teasing her, Bom." A light wood coloured hooded figure walked in and stood beside the other female shadow, his hood emphasized the transparent glow that made it him look as stiff as Bom.

 

"Ah, Sunggyu-ah you came back early. Well she is sort of dead," Bom replied with a huff, turning her head to slightly face her beloved. Sunggyu softly squeezed Bom's lifeless shoulder and whispered into her ear, "Don't be too harsh on her, jagiya."  

 

“But this must be all my imagination.” Min could feel her apprehension increasing as the seconds went by, and she felt like she was close to hyperventilating.

 

“Well I guess I can patrol death in the imaginative world too.” Bom threw her hands up in the air sardonically. “Child, you have to understand, it is what it is and everything else is what it isn’t.”

 

“That’s nonsense!” She blurted out. Her eyebrows were knitted together so deeply it almost seemed like a gun-shot was blasted through her forehead. “Like h-how are you drinking that if you claim to be dead?” Min pointed at the coffee mug in Bom's hand and Bom mimicked her action.

 

“Oh this? Well if your high-strung theory is correct then the answer to your question will be nonsense anyway, child,” she calmly replied.

 

“Stop calling me child,” Min said through gritted teeth. She fought the temptation to cuss at the dark hooded skeleton for there was a large scythe in her right hand. “I’m eighteen.”

 

“And so was the girl who was supposed to die.”

 

Min was just about to go forward and knock the hood off of Bom, when a cold and damp hand felt the pulse side of her neck. Sunggyu was checking for any bruises.

 

“Was she asphyxiated?” Bom questioned authoritatively.

 

“Not visible,” answered Sunggyu.

 

Min barely moved a muscle other than contorting her lips. Bom walked, well, hovered towards Min. Min tensed up a bit when she saw that the shadow didn't exactly breathe when she talked to her. It was only dead air. 

 

Bom her inanimate chin with a bony finger and speculated: “Then what did you do?” 

 

“Some guy in leather pants lured me into his lamborghini. I shut down after that, but shouldn’t you know this anyway? Isn’t the Grim Reaper supposed to witness a person’s death?” Her adolescent attitude was now percolating out of her scared state.

 

“I didn't know valets could do that. Ugh and don’t call me that, that’s my unholy father’s title and secondly, how do you expect me to travel between worlds and around Earth to every single dead body into Paradise? I’m not Jesus.”

 

Min looked at her confused; like it was something out of an old Korean Shaman folk-comedy. “This still all feels like nonsense.”

 

"I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living," recited Bom with a broad smile. 

 

“Who said that, Plato?” asked Min, listing the first Philosopher that came to her mind. 

 

“No, Dr.Seuss did,” Bom replied lightly, then her face turned solemn and she sternly said: "You prevented a natural death from happening, Min-ssi. That car was supposed to hit another girl, and so you've interrupted the circle of life."