Little Things

Take Me Home

 

"Did you pay the rent?" Krystal asked, using her elbow  to move some old magazines out of the way.  Fortunately, she managed to find some instant noodles in the pantry after forgetting to go grocery shopping. It was her turn, but all her professors seemed to think it was a great idea to make everything due at the same time. She had honestly forgotten to stop by after leaving the library.

Amber made an uncommitted noise and pushed her glasses up, rubbing the bridge of her nose. Eventually, she just took them off and ran her hands down her face. Her headache had increased to a full-fledged migraine somewhere around fifteen minutes ago."Was that due today?"

"You know it was. I reminded you before I left this morning," Krystal said, pointing her chopsticks at the other girl. Rolling her eyes, Amber pushed them away from her face and stood up to search the fridge again. Maybe it had magically refilled itself in the past thirty minutes. "Must have forgot. I'll do it tomorrow, okay?"

"Amber, you know Ms. Song isn't going to keep giving us extensions," she said, sighing as her noodles were already gone, and, discounting the apple this morning, she hadn't eaten anything else all day.

"I know, I know. Which why I'll do it first thing. Tomorrow." The refrigerator quest was a bust, seeing as neither she nor Krystal possessed secret food powers. Amber sat back down at the table and put her head in her hands. Just great - her head was killing her, no food in sight, and her presentation was due in two days. "Do we have any Tylenol?"

Krystal shook her head and placed a hand on Amber's shoulder, "You used it all last night. Do you want me go get you some?"

Sighing, Amber shook her head and dropped her shoulders. She patted Krystal's hand before pushing away from the table and standing up. "No, it's late. I'll just go lay down for a bit."

"You sure?" Krystal asked, getting up from the table and walking towards the trash, which needed to be taken out now that she looked at it. She grimaced as she tried to find space for the cup. After disposing of it, she washed her hands. "The store's right around the corner."

Amber groaned as she had already collapsed onto the couch and pulled the blanket over herself. Krystal managed to hear a mumbled "Yeah."

Krystal sighed and walked over to the couch. Sitting on the ground, she ran a hand through the other girl's hair. While Amber had always been prone to headaches, recently it seemed like it was happening almost every day. Amber told her not to worry about it - that it was just the stress from work, but how could she not? She ran a finger over the creased forehead and frowned. "Babe, it's literally right down the street. Don't be stupid."

Amber opened her eyes and, despite the African rain dance going on in her head, smiled. She captured the wondering finger, bringing it to her lips and kissing it. Krystal felt a corner of quirk up at the action. "If anyone's stupid, it's you."

She rolled her eyes before replacing her finger with her lips. The kiss was short as Amber wasn't in the condition to deepen it and Krystal could feel the three papers due Monday and monologue the day after catching up to her. Krystal kissed Amber's forehead and pulled back, running a hand down the other girl's back. After patting Amber's because it was there, she stood up.

"Whatever, be dumb. It's your head." She'd just wait until Amber clocked out enough before making the trip. While she knew that the time and neighborhood played some part in Amber's reluctance to let her go out alone, Krystal figured that it probably had more to do with the actual act of spending money. Sure, they were broke college students (well, former-college student in Amber's case) with more bills than friends, but they certainly could afford a $4 off-brand.

Amber started to laugh, but quickly stopped because it caused her head to explode. Settling for burying her head under the blanket, she muttered a sarcastic "love you, too."

"Of course you do," Krystal replied, taking the hair band off her wrist and putting her hair in a low ponytail. She was tired, but the apartment needed cleaning and taking out the trash was the perfect excuse to run to the convenience store.

Starting with the dishes in the sink, she worked until everything that needed to be clean was clean and anything thrown away was in the trash. After washing her hands, she sparred a quick glance at the clock. In just forty-three minutes, she had upgraded the kitchen from truly abysmal to not-a-complete-train-wreck. Krystal put the towel back on the rack and walked towards the bedroom. She quickly laid out some clothes before walking out and over to the couch.

She smiled as she looked at her girlfriend.

Apparently, Amber had moved so much that the blanket became twisted around her feet and her arms  were a mess as one arm was hanging off the couch onto the floor and the other thrown over her eyes.

Tossing her ponytail over her shoulder, Krystal kneeled down in front of the couch. She gently shook the other girl's shoulder. "Amber, wake up and go to bed."

Groaning lightly, Amber turned away from her and tried to swat Krystal's hand away. "No, go away."

Notoriously difficult to wake up, Amber's grouchiness only amplified when she wasn't feeling well. While she would usually just let her sleep on the couch until Amber woke up and went to the bedroom, Krystal couldn't just leave the other girl feeling as she did.

Krystal frowned at the pitiful tone and tried again. "Amber, babe. Go get changed and sleep on the bed."

Letting out a large breath escape through her teeth, Amber finally removed her arm from her face. With a furrowed brow, she pouted up at Krystal. "I don't feel good."

Krystal nodded, offering a soft smile and poking Amber's nose. "I know. Which is why I need you to get changed and go to sleep."

Making a disgruntled nose in the back of , Amber kicked off the blanket and held out her hands. "Help, please."

"But you're so heavy…" Krystal playfully complained as she grasped the outstretched hands. She carefully pulled the other girl up, placing one of Amber's arms around her shoulders and her own around Amber's back. Slowly walking around the coffee table, she led them to the bedroom.

"I don't feel good, and you're calling me fat," Amber whined, cradling her head with her free hand. Normally, she'd fire back a comeback of her own, but the rain dance had evolved into a typhoon festival and she could barely walk in a straight line. "Krys…"

Krystal hummed in the affirmative as she sat Amber on the bed. Amber made to fall back on the bed, but Krystal grabbed her shoulder to keep her upright. As this wasn't her first time changing the other girl out of her clothes, Krystal quickly changed Amber from her work clothes and into the pajamas she laid out earlier. After getting Amber to scoot up the bed and under the covers, Krystal pushed Amber's hair out the way and kissed her forehead.

With her eyes closed, Amber smiled slightly and puckered her lips. Krystal promptly obliged, kissing her once followed by two quick pecks on each cheek. She normally wasn't so affectionate with Amber, especially considering they were well past the honeymoon phase, but they hadn't seen much of each other lately. Amber, who had been asked to work on a new project, was working overtime the past two weeks. The long nights and stress were taking a toll on the girl, causing her to usually pass out as soon as she got home and become a zombie if woken up before ten. The fact that Amber was awake yesterday morning surprised her.

So, sue her. If Krystal was honest - which, among the many things she prided herself on, she considered herself being - she missed Amber. They hadn't spent any real amount of time together these past weeks, and damn it - she was going to take what she could get.

"You know, since I'm taking such good care of you, you have to take me out on a date, okay?"

Making an affirmative noise, Amber rubbed noses with the other girl. "After Tuesday."

Despite them being together almost two years, Krystal figured she'd never get used to Amber's surprising cuteness. Turning away to hide her smile, she stood up and patted the other girl's shoulder. "Hmm, that's what you said that week. You promise?"

"Extortion," Amber mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut as a particularly strong wave hit her.

Krystal rolled her eyes and looked at the clock on the night stand. Frowning, she realized that the store closed in twenty minutes. She'd have to hurry if she wanted to make it before closing time.

"Call it what you want. I'm going to run to the disposal, okay? I'll be right back."

While Amber didn't reply, she could see the other nod her head. Satisfied, Krystal turned to walk out of the bedroom. However, before she made it out the door, she heard Amber call her name.

"What?" she asked, pausing at the threshold. Muffled by the blankets and pillows, she didn't understand what Amber called out. "Repeat that?"

Looking like a turtle sticking it's head out of its shell, Amber moved the blanket and pillow off her head. "Wallet's in my jacket."

Laughing slightly, Krystal shook her head.

"I'm just taking out the trash," she sing-songed, walking out the bedroom.

"Liar," Amber mumbled into the pillow, pulling the blankets tight around her.

"Heard that!"