Vodka

Café

 

Subin’s knees shook slightly as she stared at the building of her school. Because of that incident, she dropped out for two weeks in fear of Seohyun.

It’s okay, she comforted herself as she set out for her classroom. You have everyone you need close to you. They taught you how to protect yourself.

Subin’s pace was much more confident as she held her precious interview in one hand and clutched her cellphone in the other. She realized she was late by the absence of bodies in the hall, making her quicken her pace. She stopped before the classroom door, collecting her thoughts and taking a deep breath.

“Let’s do this.” She muttered under her breath as she knocked before opening the door.

Professor Kang ceased in his talk as he stared at the newcomer with wide eyes. Subin bowed deeply first to him and then to the similarly dumbstruck classmates.

“Good morning…” she called out nervously, eyeing each face.

“I’m sorry I came late…I…uh…” she searched for something to say.

“I had my last check up at the doctors…” she ended awkwardly, staring at her teacher with expectation. Kang looked at her as if she had been a ghost, before snapping back into reality.

“It’s quite alright, Kim! Quite alright!” despite being shocked at her appearance, he seemed happy to see her. Subin smiled at him, handing in her report with 2PM.

“I’m sorry I handed it in so late…I wasn’t in town.” She made up another quick apology, bowing to him again. The teacher bowed while receiving the assignment and then motioned her to sit. Subin passed the empty space that belonged to Seohyun and smiled.

Luck was on her side today.

-

“Omo~! It’s so cold out here!” a manly voice whined next to Jimin, making her eyes roll as she looked up at the snowy sky.

“It’s beautiful.” Jimin retorted, turning to smile at the whine faced Taecyeon. His arms wrapped around her waist gently, pulling her closer, still mindful of her injuries.

It has been a week since Jimin was let out of the hospital, but Taecyeon was still very careful- never hugging her tightly, always watching her in case of some complications that Jimin would totally hide from him. He became even more considerate, it seemed impossible to her.

“It still doesn’t change the fact that it’s freezing…” Taecyeon muttered under his breath, kissing Jimin’s ear affectionately. Jimin chuckled, turning in his arms to face him with a smile on her face. Her arms wrapped around his neck and his hands brought her closer. Jimin rested her forehead against his and smiled.

“What?” he asked, noticing her perky mood. Jimin shook her head.

“It’s nothing, it’s just I’m happy to be out again…with you.” She continued. That continuation made Taecyeon smile.

“I know that feel, jagi.” He said and his hands disappeared from her waist to cup her face, as he gently pulled her closer and kissed her.

Oh, how she missed that feeling. She was never able to kiss him in the hospital- every time they got closer to kissing, they got interrupted by somebody- be it Subin, Wooyoung, doctor, nurses, cleaning ladies…they had so much luck in this, Jimin first thought she got cursed. But now, feeling his soft lips press against hers, the curse fell off and everything was how it was supposed to be. Taecyeon felt her smile so he pressed his forehead against hers, breaking the kiss.

“What are you laughing at?” he asked, a smile adorning his face.

“It’s good to kiss you after such a long time.” Jimin simply said and Taecyeon groaned.

“Oh God, RIGHT?! I thought the same thing just now!” he groaned out, making Jimin burst out laughing.

“You’re such a dork.” Jimin giggled, pecking his nose.

“You’re a dork, too, then.” Taecyeon told her cheekily, pecking her nose back.

“And now, shh! I’m not done kissing you yet.” He quieted her, pulling her closer. Jimin was about to tell him something, but he covered her lips with his.

Taecyeon kissed her with so much heart; she forgot they were standing in a crowded street in the middle of Seoul. She was completely oblivious to everything.

-

Oh no, no, no, no.

This isn’t happening.

This isn’t true…Subin thought, as she stared at the computer screen. She could see Seohyun’s smirk in the background and wondered if she would be able to spill the contents of her drink on the laptop and destroy the evidence before she could do anything.

“Don’t even think about it. I have them backed up on an USB key.” Seohyun almost read her mind. Subin’s heart felt as if it was about to burst.

“These…aren’t real.” She said, trying to calm herself. Seohyun chuckled, sipping on her drink.

“Oh yeah? Go ahead, look at all of them. They are so not photoshopped.” Subin clicked through the ten photos on the computer. She felt physically ill, as she realized this was the payback for what happened at the restrooms in the JYP headquarters.

“What do you want for them?” she finally asked. Seohyun knew that Subin would do anything to protect them.

“I knew you would ask. You’re a clever girl, after all.” Subin bit her tongue to swallow the itchy comment that went up . Seohyun fished out a couple of papers, before sliding them over to Subin with a pen.

“You know your…friend gave a lot of trouble, you know that, right?”

“She protected me.” Subin hissed, making Seohyun glare.

“Oh, you want to be snappy?  It can be in the news tomorrow.” Seohyun reached out for the computer, but Subin snatched it away from her.

WHAT do you want?” Subin desperately yelled, her eyes filled with tears. That’s when Seohyun grinned.

“Sign this.” She pushed the papers over to Subin. She flew over the paper, quickly reading its content.

“Wait…what?”

Seeing Subin blink, Seohyun rolled her eyes.

“Drop out school, and never come back, you . I never wanna see your face again.”

Subin felt as if someone spilled boiling water over her. Why did these things happen to her? Journalism was her dream. And now, what to choose? If she saved her dream, she would shatter the dreams of two of her best friends.

With shaky hands, Subin signed the pull out papers and when her hand was retreating she grabbed at the shot they had ordered.

Vodka burned all the way down as Seohyun plugged the USB key into the laptop and while Subin watched, she put all the photos of Jimin and Taecyeon kissing in the street on the key and then deleted the ones that stayed in the computer.

With a flick of her wrist, Seohyun the key on the table.

“Thank you for your cooperation. You can keep the key. Don’t need it.” She continued speaking as she packed up. Subin barely heard her; she stared at the small key holding 10 photos that crushed her future.

Hastily, she wiped away the tears that managed to fall, before she stood up from the counter and sped out of the bar, the key in her hand cut into her palm, but she didn’t even feel it. This wasn’t fair.

Just when everything was going so well…

Luck was definitely not on her side today.