Forgotten

Amnesia [Oneshot]

 

“Jonginniepoo!! It’s time to get up for school!” An overly cheery, aged feminine voice traveled through the crack of said boy’s door and echoed in his darkened room. A slight groan could be heard as a tired body turned over, trying to rid his ears of the voice that seemed more annoying simply because it was so early in the morning. The voice was unfamiliar to him, and because of that, it frightened him to say the least. Why would some strange woman come to wake him up?
 
 
With wide eyes and a slight rush of adrenaline, he jumped out of bed and the light. He looked around the room, not recognizing the unfamiliar place. His eyes soon fell on a book that rested on an oak desk.
 
 
“Your name is Kim JongIn, you have severe amnesia, please open me!” The still sleepy boy’s groggy voice scratched as he read those words aloud.
 
 
Is this for me? He asked himself.
 
 
His fingertips tentatively traced the outer edges of the book, carefully tilting the cover.
 
 
“This is you.” The boy read the cover page and looked at the photo under it. He looked in the mirror, studied his face, and then studied the photo. According to that, it was him. He looked through the rest of the pages and found some basic information:
 
 
His name was Kim JongIn, he suffered from amnesia, he was home schooled, he had his own personal butler, and his mother was now the only living parent he had, the other suffering from a fatal cardiac arrest.
 
 
 
×
 
 
 
I closed the book with a heavy heart, feeling guilty for not remembering that last fact. Part of me was disappointed that I remembered nothing about him, yet the other part knew it was none of my fault, and tried to cheer me up. Not knowing what to feel, I simply decided to put those thoughts aside.
 
 
Staring in the mirror didn’t help me remember anything. My whole face seemed unfamiliar; I couldn’t recognize my own body.
 
 
I guess this was what every day felt like.
 
 
But I wouldn’t know that- every day was a new day.
 
 
I walked out of the room I assumed to be mine and took cautious steps towards what looked to be the kitchen. There stood a woman, looking to be about fifty years old, stirring what seemed to be some sort of soup. I made a move to sit in one of the chairs, but almost scared the woman as feet of the chair scraped against the linoleum. She jumped around and revealed her wrinkled, smiling face.
 
 
“My baby!” The woman came over and squished my cheeks, to which I backed away with wide eyes. “Aww, come on, let your mumma squish you!!”
 
 
And to that, a slow stream of crimson brushed unto my cheeks.
 
 
Her palms cupped my cheeks, sudden warmth and comfort somehow flooding my frame. It made me… smile. A fat kiss landed on my forehead, and although extremely slobbery, it made me feel even more loved.
 
 
Why did I have to forget this?
 
 
 
×
 
 
 
I drove up to the Kim’s house per usual. The drive today was fast considering there was little traffic. Cloudy skies and rainy weather drove everyone off the road as they lost the desire to go anywhere. Lucky me. My job was to serve a boy as a butler. I was only two years older than he, giving me the simple nickname ‘hyung’, but he wouldn’t realize that until halfway through the day each day.
 
 
Scattered raindrops started to form on the windshield as the wipers were now off, so I turned the engine off and gathered my belongings. I didn’t live here, so I commuted about 10 minutes every day. I didn’t mind, though. Socializing with him made me happy. He had a smile that lit up the room, and a laugh that made me blush.
 
 
I got out of the car and walked up to the door, knocking on the heavy wood. It took a minute or so before it opened with a creak and Mrs. Kim stood on the other end with a warm and inviting smile.
 
 
“You’re here~” She let me in and led me to the kitchen. It held a certain bronze boy, head down as he ate his meal peacefully. When he heard my footsteps, he slowly looked up from his meal. Eyes wide and panic evident, I had to hurry before he ran off again.
 
 
“My name is Do Kyungsoo and I’m your butler.” I placed my hands at the sides of my slacks and bowed 90˚. When I looked back up, his eyes had resumed to normal size. What a relief. A few times I hadn’t introduced myself early enough and he had run off into his room. A locksmith would need to be called to get the poor boy out.
 
 
Before I got the chance to blink Mrs. Kim was already leaving out the door for work. She worked 12 hours a day, and although that may sound extreme, she enjoyed her job. She also forbid JongIn to get a job while he was still in school, so he couldn’t support her even though he wanted to. 
 
 
I bid her farewell and stood next to JongIn. I didn’t want to make him feel uncomfortable, but I did have a job to do and sitting with him was incredibly informal.
 
 
“Is there anything I can get you, sir?” 
 
 
I watched the boy finish his last bite of food before answering.
 
 
“Play videogames with me.” He said simply.
 
 
“W-what? You’re tutor is supposed to come soon.” I answered his unexpected question.
 
 
JongIn frowned. He didn’t respond to the statement and instead stood up and went to sit on the plush carpet in front of the entertainment system. The boy sat with his legs straight out and stared at the carpet, plucking small pieces of it off.
 
 
My heart skipped a beat. The sight was quite cute, really. Some part of me couldn’t stand seeing him like this though. I walked over to the room and stood beside him.
 
 
“Okay. One game. But I could get fired for this, so make it quick, arraseo?” JongIn looked up with that killer smile of his and my heart nearly stopped at the sight.
 
 
Why was the room getting so hot?
 
 
 
×
 
 
 
I sat there on the carpet, clutching the remote and tapping the buttons furiously as I battled my butler. We were tied in the last leg of this racing game, and this final round would determine our fate. I had successfully convinced him to play with me, which was nice as I could relax before a day of studying which I didn’t want to do. Although this was the first time I met him (or not, as my book says otherwise), it feels good to interact with him. It kind of warms my heart. When he would win a round, his smile would come out. 
 
 
So would my blush.
 
 
When I would win a round, his smile would show up again. As if he was happy I was winning. He seemed so sweet.
 
 
We ended the game with a full out tie, neither one of us screaming in victory nor crying in defeat.
 
 
“Alright. It’s time for your schoolwork now.” He spared me a sympathetic glance and patted my shoulder. 
 
 
I watched him get up and answer the door, letting a man in. My frown further fell when I saw it was an old man who looked strict.
 
 
“JongIn!” A strained voice came from the entrance hall and I have to admit, I winced.
 
 
He said he was my teacher. I guess I was homeschooled because of my amnesia. In the second hour of his lesson things started to get complicated.
 
 
“You put x here, and divide y there. Then you test the points to see if it’s true or not. If it’s true you shade…” Anything else he had to say went in one ear and out the other. I rubbed my temples in frustration at not understanding it. The teacher tried for another half hour to explain it to me, but it was no use. It was time for him to leave, so he let himself out.
 
 
I was beginning to think he wasn’t such a good tutor after all.
 
 
“Can I sit with you JongIn?” A voice came from behind me and surprised me, making me jump. I sighed and nodded my head.
 
 
“Not getting it, huh?” He asked hesitantly.
 
 
I shook my head.
 
 
“Mind if I help?” Kyungsoo smiled hopefully.
 
 
I cocked an eyebrow.
 
 
“Good luck.”
 
 
“Here,” he slipped the paper from under me and took it in his hand, pointing to different things. I watched him as words flowed from his mouth, seemingly creating a melody- yet he was only speaking. His voice soon mesmerized me, distracted me, but every word he was saying made sense. After ten minutes of thorough explaining, I understood it.
 
 
He saw the smile on my face and smiled himself, proud that he was able to help me.
 
 
“You should be my new tutor.” I told him as I looked at the paper, trying to understand why I got it so quickly when he taught me.
 
 
Kyungsoo smiled for the nth time that day. It was perfect and beautiful, and somehow, I wanted to make it mine. This thought gave me a sense of dejavu, but I ignored it.
 
 
“Stay there.” I told him.
 
 
I brought my right hand up to his cheek and lightly cupped it in my hand. I brushed the pad of my thumb over the apple of his cheek, feeling the temperature rise as a flood of crimson raided his skin. I leaned in and tilted my head, curiously watching his expression until his eyes closed. Mine followed, and I closed the gap between our lips. My heart rate rose tenfold, sparks of who-knows-what shooting through my system; it was all so perfect that it was nearly unbearable. I wanted it to last forever. I could feel Kyungsoo’s heartbeat race as well, as my other hand rested lightly on his chest. Our lips molded perfectly together, and I know he thought the same too.
 
 
 
×
 
 
 
I didn’t stop JongIn when I saw him lean closer. I knew what he was going to do, as he's done it everyday before today. When he connected our lips, my heart caught fire. The sensation of two fitting pieces becoming complete- it was perfect. 
 
 
How must it feel for him to forget this moment every single day?