Chapter 1

The Me Time Bakery

 

I literally hopped out of the retailer’s car and ran to the worn down building. This is it. This what I had always imagined. To have my bakery situated right in the city and a great one too! Seoul! Never would I had imagined that I would be able to fulfill my life's dream so soon! Well actually for the last few months but that doesn't’ matter. I walked up to the building and poked the door. I coughed instinctively as I cloud of dust arose from the inside. It’s almost perfect I silently thought as I made my way into the building. The door opened once again, only the retailer came in.

“So? What do you think?” The small plump woman asked. She kept her distance from all the mess and made disgusted faces in the process.

“It’s exactly how I’d always imagined it.” I said with a great smile. I explored every single part of the room.

“Really? Exactly like this?” The woman asked with a hint of sarcasm. I chuckled.

“Not necessarily but almost,” I replied. The woman looked at me like I was crazy. “I’m just pulling your tail. With a some renovations, It will become perfect.”

“Okay well, I can do all the paperwork for you, Ms. What was your name again?” She pulled out a clipboard with a pen in hand.

“Minju. Kang Minju.” I said quietly.

“What an interesting name. Are you from here, Minju?” She asked with an eyebrow raised.

“I was born in Korea but raised in Mexico. My father is Korean and my mother is Mexican.”

“Mexico!? Really? That’s a very strange place for a Korean to go to,” The woman remarked. I nodded in agreement. “And you know Korean and Spanish?”

“I also know English and Japanese. But I use English the most because for the last two years I’ve lived in America” I smiled proudly. The woman’s eyes widened.

“You're quite the package,” She exclaimed. “And may I ask what you are doing in Korea?”

“I wanted to change lifestyles. All my life I’ve lived in Mexico and in America so I kind of wanted to spice up my life. My father strongly encouraged me too.” I answered her politely.

“How old are you?” This lady is quite the asker.

“17.” I answered.

“Where are your parents?”

“They’re in America.”

“So you came all alone?” I nodded to what seemed her fiftieth question.

“And why in the world would you come here for?”

“I wanted to run my own business here. I’ve heard that not much bakeries are in Korea so that gave me the excuse to come to Korea alone. You know, living independently.” The woman nodded at my answer.

“Yes it is true that not much bakeries are present especially foreign ones. This’ll be interesting.”

“A good life experience in my opinion,” I beamed her a smile.

“Yahh. You're cute. You remind me of my daughter. And that's saying something since she’s only four.” I laughed along with her. “I’m sure she will love your bakery.”

“Oh yes, she will.”

“Well, let’s get this show on the road. Let’s get you started.” I followed her out through the front door. I caught a glimpse of all the vivid life in beautiful Seoul. The interaction between the people, the lights that seemed to light up every corner. I will surely love it here. Without a doubt.