Chapter 4

Alpaca Affection

This was his name as a child. But he can't remember when it was switched to Kris and doesn't know why. 

Kris and Kevin quietly sat next to each other. No words had been exchanged between the two of them for a few minutes. Kevin just kept playing with Alpaca.

Tao was taking a walk when he suddenly spotted Kris on the opposite side sitting on the curb of the road.

"Kris! Hey! What are you doing here? It's almost 5:30," Tao yelled as he was jogging over to Kris.

Kris did not respond. 

"What are you sitting all lone here for?" asked Tao.

"Oh, I'm actually not alone. I found this little kid while I was walking home." said Kris.

Tao's eyebrows lowered in confusion. "Um, Kris. What little kid?"

"He is sitting right next to me can't you see? He is holding a stuffed animal. His name is Kevin."

"Kris, I don't know what your talking about, man. I only see you. Have you gone mad? I really hope you didn't buy any drugs from that Park kid."

Chanyeol Park was the biggest drug dealer at school. The second day of senior year, Tao and Kris were walking to class. Chanyeol came up to them and insisted that they buy his drugs. If not he would shoot both of them if he ever saw them in public. Chanyeol was always in desperate need of money for some reason. Tao and Kris never purchased his drugs. Luckily, a few days later Chanyeol Park was arrested and had never been seen since then.

"Why in the hell would I even do that you fool. I'm not crazy. There is a small child sitting next to me." said Kris.

A middle-aged man walking his dog was approaching them. 

"Excuse me sir, is this your child?" Kris asked as he put his arm around Kevin. 

The man stopped. "I'm sorry, but I don't see a child. Maybe you should see your doctor. Have a nice day." He continued his walk.

Kris was in shock. Nobody was able to see Kevin. Could he have been a ghost? 

Tao had his hand on his forehead. "Kris, I'm sorry but I think he may be right. You should see a doctor or something. Or at least get some extra sleep tonight. You are not well. I got to go. See you tomorrow."

Kris's eyes widened. He pinched himself hard hoping that this was just his mind playing tricks on him again. It wasn't. He still saw little Kevin next to him playing with the Alpaca. 

A car drove by and splashed him and Kevin with the dirty water that was in front of them. Kevin burst into tears. 

"Hey Kevin, you don't have to cry. Alpaca can be cleaned."

Kevin was still crying. Kris was digging in his backpack hoping to find an extra towel from gym class. 

He found a small face towel and gently dried the cute, stuffed alpaca. He realized that Kevin had disappeared. Kris stood up looking in all directions.

"Little buddy? I mean Kevin? Kevin! Kevin where are you?" Kris yelled. 

He was panicking becuase he still had the stuffed alpaca in his hands. It was Kevin's best friend and he didn't want the child to be lonely. 

Kris started to run down the sidewalk looking behind bushes and trees. He spotted a lady sitting on a bench. 

"Good evening ma'am. Have you happened to see a small child run by?" asked Kris.

"No I'm sorry I haven't," the lady replied.

Kris continued running with the alpaca cuddled in his arms. He realized there was no point to ask that question.

The sun had already set and street lights were coming on, one by one. Kris was walking on the sidewalk panting. He had been looking for Kevin for about an hour and a half now. He sat down to rest.

The sky turned black. No stars. No clouds. Just the moon. And weather was quite chilly. Kris took the gym towel out of his backpack and rapped it around Alpaca. Kris was thinking about Kevin. Where had he run off to? Did he find his parents? He was frightened by the dark night. Kris cuddled with Alpaca even more whenever he heard a small sound. Tears spilled from his eyes. 

He heard the same mysterious voice in his mind again, but this time he wasn't asleep.

"Kris...my one true love...we finally found each other again. Let us not be seperated."

Kris was smiling. The tears of fear had turned to tears of happiness.

He finally knew where the voice was coming from.