The Cafe

The Unbearable Cold

It's Cold... <


The cold.

It was unbearable. An earnest type of cold, that didn't eventually numb you. It stayed, getting deeper, intensely colder until you swore you would do anything to get rid of this cold. You'd rather be numb that feel this concentrated chill. This chill that wasn't really a physical chill, more like a emotional one. This feeling, this cold, could also be called...

Loneliness.

A raw hunger for someone, anyone, anything. The longing to be loved. To feel their warmth slowly penetrate your skin and reach deep into your soul, and save you from the ice.

Daehyun wandered the streets aimlessly, drunk with this emotional chill. Looking around, all he saw were happy couples, young and old, holding hands and laughing. Everyone looked so damn happy, and yet he wasn't. His stomach growled. Checking his watch, Daehyun realized it was close to dinner time. He looked for a restaurant, a cafe, heck, even a fast food restaurant would do. But every restaurant he looked in was fully occupied by loving couples. He gave up looking for a place without couples, and eventually entered a small cafe. It wasn't as busy as other places, but Daehyun appreciated this. He wanted some quiet, without the piercing giggles of happy females with their boyfriends stabbing his heart.

Sighing, he ordered a cappuccino and a dark chocolate cake. The waitress smiled as she took down his order. As Daehyun watched her figure walk away, he felt something stir within his heart. The waitress had a beautiful smile, but Daehyun shook this thought away. Although he was so incredibly lonely, he wouldn't date someone just so that he could feel less lonely. Pretending to like someone is worse than cheating on a woman. He pulled out a mirror and stared at himself in it. He was handsome, wasn't he? Even though he was suffering from a severe case of loneliness, it didn't show on his face. He still looked confident and beautiful.

“I'm beautiful, aren't I?” He murmured, doubting himself for the first time in his life. “Girls should be flocking to me and sending me millions of confession letters per day, right?”

“BUAHAHHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!”

The waitress put down his order and continued to laugh her head off. The whole cafe was staring at her weirdly, but she took no notice of this.

Daehyun frowned. “Miss, are you alright?” He asked the waitress.

The waitress was literally crying now, while clutching her stomach. Daehyun now knew the true definition of ROFL; the waitress was demonstrating it.

Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, the girl finished laughing. Her face was flushed. She smiled, unembarrassed, at Daehyun.

“May I sit?” The waitress asked.

“Can I say no?” Daehyun asked back, as the waitress sat down across from him.

“I'm JinHee!” The waitressed introduced herself eagerly.

“So?” Daehyun raised a brow.

“I HEARD WHAT YOU WERE SAYING INTO THE MIRROR!” She said in a loud whisper. She immediately started giggling. Daehyun felt his face go warm. So the cute waitress heard what he said? Argh, this is embarrassing.

JinHee grinned at him. “I'll be the mirror and tell you: You are VERY handsome, and girls SHOULD be flocking to you.”

He smiled a bit, warmed by her compliment.

“BUT,” the waitress continued. “You've got to be the cockiest, most self-centered guy I've ever served.”

Daehyun deflated a bit.

“But I'm still handsome, aren't I?” He asked earnestly, needed a praise.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA” The waitress started laughing again. Daehyun suddenly clasped her hands in his, causing her to abruptly stop laughing. Daehyun looked seriously into her eyes.

Jinhee gave him a nervous, yet beautiful, smile, and met his eyes unwaveringly.

Daehyun took a deep breath, unable to stand his loneliness. He was ready to ruin this girls life by asking her out. She was good enough, right? Pretty, bright, and comical.

“I LIKE....”Daehyun started.

...............

.................

...................

.........................

................................

.........................................

.......................................................

......................................................................

..............................................................................................

..............................................................................................................

“I like...........CHEESECAKE.” Daehyun found himself blurting.

She blinked at him. Oh no, Daehyun, what did you just say. What the heck, are you possessed or something? OH MAH GAWD, WHAT DID I JUST SAY? Daehyun immediately pulled away, and felt his face turn as red as a tomato.

She smiled softly. “I'll go get you a cheesecake.” She went and spoke to the lady at the counter, and returned with a slice of cheesecake.

As she sat down and pushed the plate towards him, she said, “I like cheesecake too.”

Those random words unlocked Daehyun. Then came the healing process for him. He talked to this cheerful waitress, poured his heart out to her in a matter of hours. She was a bit dense, but she was exactly what he needed at that moment.

It became late too quickly. The cafe manager lady came and informed them it was closing time. JinHee stood up and packed his cakes in a box. As Daehyun walked her to the bus stop, he realized the cold has disappeared, replaced by the warmth of this girl whom he had just met. She stopped and looked at him. Ahhh, what a pretty eyesmile she has. Suddenly, she hugged him, snuggling into his chest comfortably.

“I hope you feel warmer now,” She says. After a small pause, she continues. “Eat the cheesecake right when you get home, arasso?”

“Arasso.” He finds himself saying. She pushes away from him and waves, running the rest of the block up to the bus stop. He had a dumb smile on his face as he walked in the opposite direction as her. After driving home, he immediately opens the box and pulls out the cheesecake. He didn't notice earlier, because he was too occupied in his thoughts, but there was a chocolate sign thing on top of his cheesecake. He soon found himself smiling dumbly yet again.

The sign had her phone number on it.

 


 

HI~~~~

I'm BACK. :)

Happy dance!!!!!!

Sorry if this story is so damn boring and doesn't make sense at all. D:

Anyways.

This oneshot is dedicated to my friend, KWANDROJEN~~~

She's the one who I thought of for“JinHee” in this story.

Hohohohohoho.... I hope she doesn't get bored reading this story.

Until next year, maybe. XD

-Bonana Tang