Final

The Elevator

 

tumblr_mcv7x4Agjl1qzyjtyo2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mc4ex2Jrcw1ry3zl4o1_500.png

 

From the entrance, he sees the steel gray doors starting to slide close. Frantically rushing forward, he mutters to himself, "Today is just not my day..."

It had started with a call late last night from his one and only brother Yunho, seeking comfort after breaking up with his most recent girlfriend. As a prosecutor, Yunho was usually very discreet about his relationships, so he knew something was wrong and couldn't turn down the invitation to come out and drink. Eight shots later and he had uncovered more than he ever wanted to know about his hyung's and this girl's - Yuri was her name? - love lives. He was finally able to get Yunho home at 2 am and passed out on his brother's couch, too tired to make the trek back home. 

This morning, he woke up disoriented and late. Luckily, Yunho was about the same size as him so he borrowed a dark, pinstripe suit and a slightly ill-fitting dress shirt. Skipping breakfast, he opted for a quick cup of coffee only to burn his tongue in his haste to gulp it down. Somehow, after a mad dash through traffic, he managed to make it to his office building at 9:05. 

Truthfully, Shim Changmin was someone who could afford to be late. As senior vice president of marketing for Shim Electronics, the fact that his father built the multi-billion dollar enterprise from the ground up had some sway. But what Changmin despised most was the type of guy who leeched off of others' hard work; instead he strove to maintain the image of a dedicated employee, always being the first to arrive and the last to leave. As a result, his staff view him as an admirable but strict and unapproachable manager, often commenting that he was "married to his work".

With his office on the 59th floor, waiting for the next one was out of the question. 

"Hold the elevator!" he exclaims, and just manages to stop it by jamming his foot between the doors.

He sighs in relief as they obligingly open for him - but instead of entering, he pauses and stares straight ahead.  

Staring back at him are two large, dark brown eyes belonging to a young woman with long, wavy bronze hair and adorably chubby cheeks. He momentarily forgets that he's had possibly one of the worst mornings in recent memory, and just stands there appreciating her beauty. 

She seems startled by his sudden intrusion but collects herself and asks,  "... Are you coming in, sir?"

"Ah! Yes, sorry." he apologizes and quickly steps in, noticing there is no one else in the elevator.

She smiles politely and moves to make room for him.  Internally, he curses himself for looking like a complete slob in front of this girl. 

He glances down - she has selected the 56th floor. 

Sighing, he prepares himself for an awkward next 2 minutes and 28 seconds (yes, he's timed it). 

For the first eight floors, he is determined to not stare at her and fixes his gaze on the slowly advancing numbers marking what floor they've reached. However, for some reason today, the compartment feels smaller and smaller and his eyes slowly shift towards her despite his efforts.   

She is waiting patiently with her hands clasped in front of her. As he is standing a little behind her, he notices that her hair is gathered to rest on one shoulder, exposing her neck. 

"Changmin! Get a hold of yourself!" he mentally berates himself before he does something idiotic. Honestly, he's never been this affected by a girl - he blames his lack of sleep. 

By the 33rd floor, he begins to tap his feet to distract himself and fill up the silence. She notices and turns towards him with an amused smile.

"Elevators are never fun are they, " she comments, sympathsizing with him. 

"Ahem, no I guess not." is all Changmin can manage, but immediately decides to forgo his tap dancing routine. 

Grasping for something to say, he blurts out "So what's on the 56th floor?"

She looks surprised -  "My office?"

"Ah of course, it was a silly question." he admits.

Giggling, she adds, "No, I know what you mean. That floor is a mish-mash of a lot of departments since I guess they didn't know where else to stick us. I'm in Technical Writing."

"We have a Technical Writing department?" 

She laughs again, "Yes. It's surprising but there is a use for literature majors in an electronics company. I do a lot with customer service and language translations."

Changmin is impressed, "What languages do you know?"

She scrunches her face cutely as she thinks, "Hm let's see, Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, English, and French. I only know conversational Spanish and Italian. Oh! And I suppose there's Korean too."

"Wow that's quite a list."

"Yes, during college I wanted to become a foreign ambassador." she says seriously.

He's not sure how to respond to this; he's never met someone whose made him feel so completely in awe of them. 

"Oh, this is my stop. Have a good day!" she says brightly. She exits and gives him a polite bow as the doors slides close, leaving behind a dazed Shim Changmin, who almost forgets to get off 3 floors later.

Belatedly, he realizes he's forgotten to ask for her name and wonders how he's been ignorant of this female employee's existence. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Changmin stiffles a yawn as he checks his watch. 

6:38 pm.

Looking outside his large glass windows, he discovers that the sun has already set on Seoul, and the city's neon lights are blinking to life and glowing back at him.

He wants to finish marking up the project draft in front of him, but decides he can take it home and work on it after dinner. As he waits for the elevator, he debates whether to have take out again this week. Some chicken sounded good and he hates cooking just for himself. 

Only a few moments after getting on, the elevator stops again. 

"Hm, who else is working at this hour?" he thinks. 

The door slides open and his sleepiness evaporates.

"Oh! Hello, I didn't expect to see anyone else still here." she says cheerfully.

"I didn't either," Changmin smiles and makes way for her.  "Are you often working so late?"

She shakes her head in response. "Not until recently. I've gained a lot of responsibilities since my manager left the company last month."

"Ah, so I'll see you more often now?"

She pauses, and he suddenly realizes what his question could insinuate. 

"Are you here late every night then?" she asks instead, looking curious. 

He's a little surprised at this inquiry as his reputation often preceeds him. But perhaps it was better that she doesn't know who he is. It was getting tiresome fending off the affections of the female staff who want to be friendlier with the heir to Shim Electronics. 

"Er... yes, I guess I let time get away from me."

She looks down and notices the papers in his hands. 

"Hm, or you're a hopeless workaholic." she observes.

Sheepishly, he laughs, "Yup, I"ve been caught."

She joins in and says with a grin, "Hey it takes one to know one."

Ding! 

Without realizing it, they've arrived at the main lobby. 

"Oh, we're here. Well, have a good night!" she says.

"Thanks, you too."

They go their separate ways - him to retrieve his car and her to catch the bus.

As he walks away, he realizes how dark it is.

"Wait! Would you like a ride?" he calls to her.

She turns, waving her hand. "I'll be ok, it's only a short ride to my house."

"But it's late, you shouldn't be going by yourself..."

She just grins and reassures him. "I'm a big girl, don't worry. See you tomorrow!"

"See you..." he smiles back at her retreating form. 

"Shoot, I forgot to ask for her name again..." he remembers once in the car. "Well, maybe tomorrow then Elevator Girl". 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Despite having only 5 hours of sleep the night before, Changmin is up at 6 am the next morning. He's not sure why, but he's tense and his whole body feels like a nervous ball of energy. Thoughts about Elevator Girl flit through his head and he decides he needs to see her to make sure she got home ok last night. 

So, 30 minutes later, he's sitting in his car in the company's parking garage, eye's watching the entrance like a hawk. 

He hears a group of giggling females walking towards the building and carefully looks for her in the crowd, but without success. One of the girls points at his car, and he quickly ducks down before he's noticed. 

"Shim Changmin, just what are you doing right now?!" he wonders to himself and winces as his long legs bang against the steering wheel. "This is equivalent to stalking...."

One hour passes, and he's about ready to give up when he suddenly spots a flash of long bronze hair. He watches, captivated as she gracefully walks up alone, a cup of coffee in one hand and the other balancing her laptop. 

He spurs himself into action and follows her quickly into the building. Luckily, the elevator is too full to accommodate any more, so just the two of them are stuck waiting for the next one. 

"Good morning!" he greets her, a little too loudly.

She jumps, but upon seeing him, breaks into a breathtaking smile. 

"Oh, good morning! Fancing seeing you here." she jokes.

"Did you make it home alright last night?"

She blushes. "Yes, of course."

"That's good."

There is an unexpected silence and neither can meet the other's gaze.

"Ah, I forgot to ask - I don't know your name."

"Oh, of course. I'm Seo Joohyun, but everyone calls me Seohyun."

Changmin nods, thinking to himself that he likes the name Joohyun and then realizes she is looking at him expectantly.

"Oh! Right, I'm Changmin.... er Cho Changmin." He decides to borrow his best friend's surname. 

"Well, it's nice to meet you Changmin-ssi" she jokes with twinkling eyes and extends her hand for a handshake.

"Nice to meet you too Seohyun-ssi." He tries to ignore the tingling feeling in his hand as he grasps her's briefly.

The elevator arrives and he courteously says, "After you."

 
------------------------------------------------------
 
It has been a week now since he's first met her and, due to Changmin's diligence, he and Seohyun have ridden on the elevator together at least once every day. He unconciously has her schedule memorzied, and even knows her coffee preferences - caramel macchiato with a shot of hazelnut - as she's always carrying one in the mornings.
 
He's relieved that she doesn't question the frequency of their meetings and always seems happy to see him. During their 3 minute trips, they chat about almost any topic that comes up - politics, favorite books (her list is quite long, and he now has several of her recommendations to read), the advantages of eating sweet potatoes instead of hamburgers.
 
But it's frustrating since he only gets to be in her presence for such short periods of time. And although he finds it adorable that she's started to call him her "Elevator Buddy", he wants to be more and wonders when he'll be able to see her outside of work.
 
He is at home late one night, contemplating this when he recieves a call from an unfamiliar number.
 
"Min! Guess what? I'm back in Korea." 
 
"Kyu? Is that you?"
 
"Of course, or are you expecting someone else this late at night?"
 
"No, I wasn't expecting anyone."
 
"Righhhttt. Look if I'm interrupting something, just give the signal - " his best friend teases mercilessly.
 
"Ya! Cho Kyuhyun!"
 
"Alright alright, we'll get into your love life later. Hey, I know it's late but do you have time to get a drink tonight? Promise I won't keep you out too long."
 
Changmin hesitates. Going out now might jeporadize his chance of seeing Seohyun tomorrow morning. But he hasn't seen Kyuhyun in 6 months...
 
"Sure, where at?" he replies.
 
"Nice, I knew you weren't an old man yet Minnie. How 'bout our old hang out, Ryewook's bar?
 
"Ok, see you in 15 then."
 
"I'll be the tall, dark and handsome one." Kyuhyun quips.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
"... he's yelling something, probably curse words, but we grab the totem and escape on this guy's motorcycle. And that is why I am no longer welcome in Argentina."  Kyuhyun concludes his heroic tale with a flourish.
 
Changmin shakes his head in amusement. Kyuhyun's career as an international journalist never ceased to amaze him. When they were young, his best friend always had a flair for the dramatic and now it was as if his life was an Indiana Jones movie.  
 
"You're not exhausted after all of that?" he asks.
 
"How can I be? I have so many stories to write up now. Get ready for it Min, I'm going to featured on the front page for sure this week." 
 
"I'll drink to that," Changmin says, and pours them each a shot.
 
They clank glasses and throw back their heads in unison. 
 
"Ah, nothing beats soju," Kyuhyun says, satisfied. "So, enough about me. What have you been up to this whole time? Any new girls?"
 
"Kyu, you know I hate dating just for the sake of dating."
 
"I know, I know. But please tell me you at least have some prospects?"
 
Changmin sighs. Anyone else and he would have no problem telling a bare-faced lie. But he figures he'll save himself the trouble since Kyuhyun somehow always finds out in the end.
 
"... there might be one," he cautiously admits.
 
"Really? Oh wow. What's she like?"
 
"She's a girl at my office. But she's not one of those ditzy secretary types, she works in the technical writing department."
 
"You have a technical writing department?"
 
Changmin laughs, "That's what I thought too. But yeah, she's quite smart."
 
Kyuhyun nods. "Ok, and looks wise?"
 
"Well, she's tall, slender. Has long, bronze colored hair."
 
"Hm so far so good. So what's wrong?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"By all accounts, she seems great. Why haven't you made your move yet?"
 
"I don't know, Kyu. It just seems like we're only friends right now. I've actually only known her for a week."
 
"A week's plenty of time! Changmin, you've got to make the move soon or you'll be friend zoned forever."
 
"What should I do then?"
 
"You have to at least start dropping hints. Compliment her, ask her out to lunch, bring her presents. Girls, Minnie, are like flowers -"
 
Changmin rolls his eyes as Kyuhyun starts to wax poetic. But his best friend ignores him and continues with his love advice. 
 
"Yes, flowers. They blossom only when given proper care and attention. Water them daily with perfume, provide sunlight with jewelry -"
 
"Aish, you are so cheesy sometimes Kyu."
 
"But in all seriousness Min, you've got to make her feel special. And if she's as great as you say, then you'll have to hurry before someone else does."
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
"... before someone else does..."
 
Changmin can't help but replay Kyuhyun's advice over and over in his head the next morning. Taking a deep breath, he decides to go through with his plan before his nerves get the best of him.
 
He spies her in the lobby of the building, but unfortunately, the morning crowd of workers surrounds them. He takes a moment to appreciate how stunning she looks in her white, knee length dress and matching white suite jacket. She seems to be distracted as her eyes scan the area for something and Changmin feels a bubble of hope that it could be him. Weaving through the other employees, he gently taps her on the shoulder to get her attention.
 
"Changmin-ssi! I was worried you'd be late today." she says, turning and smiling up at him.
 
He knows she loves to about his punctuality, and since it's her, he doesn't mind for once.
 
"We both know I would never let that happen," he responds, half serious, half joking. 
 
She laughs brightly and the tinkling sound draws the attention of some of their neighbors as they board the elevator. Since they have an audience today, they stand in the back together and only exchange glances. Changmin tries not to over-react as her hands repeatedly brush his as more people squeeze in. It would be so easy to grab her hand and thread her fingers between his...
 
He notices that she seems to be in a playful mood today, and is silently challenging him to a staring contest. He decides to unleash the full force of his charismatic gaze on her, causing her eyes to widen and she blinks, surprised. He smirks, proudly declaring himself victor. Her response is to exaggeratedly roll her eyes. Their eyes then meet again and they both have to hold back their laughter at how childish they are being.
 
Finally, on the 45th floor, the last person they are sharing the elevator with gets off and Changmin has her all to himself.
 
"You seem very cheerful today," he remarks.
 
She smiles, "I know. I just have a feeling something good will happen today."
 
He catches his breath - "Me too."
 
The 56th floor rolls around almost too soon. She makes a move to leave, but he grabs her hand before she even has a chance to say her goodbyes.
 
Ignoring that he's just changed the entire dynamic of their relationship, Changmin ploughs ahead determindly.
 
"Seohyun-ssi, are you free for lunch today? I ... I'd like to get to know you better, outside of work."  
 
She is speechless at first, but to his relief, eventually nods her consent.
 
"Lunch would be great." 
 
He's never been happier to hear these four words and can't help but grin as he says, "Ok, then I"ll come down and pick you up at 12?"
 
She is smiling again, but the bold girl from before is replaced with a blushing girl who is unable to meet his gaze for longer than a second.
 
"Yes, I'll be waiting," she answers shyly and finally exits the elevator.
 
Giddy, Changmin enters his office and tries to check the grin that has yet to disappear from his face since she accepted his invitation. 
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
He decides that he doesn't want to overwhelm her by choosing a fancy, 5 star restaurant where the atmosphere may be too stiff for them to even enjoy themselves. He has a gut feeling that although her immaculate and graceful manners would make her fit in at any of those high society places, she was the kind of girl who would appreciate a family style restaurant too.
 
For the first time, he gets to see the 56th floor where she always disappears too. Wandering around, Changmin realizes he has no idea where she sits and decides to ask a girl standing by the copier. 
 
"Excuse me, do you know where I can find Seohyun-ssi?" 
 
"Seohyun-ssi? Oh sure, you can follow me - I was just about to drop these copies off at her desk." 
 
He thanks her and she grins, her eyes turning into crescent moons.
 
As they make their way through the maze of cubicles, she chatters happily.
 
"Don't you think these turned out nice? I finally got the pink stationary I requested. And it's not just any pink, this is rose pink. My favorite!"
 
Changmin is unsure how to respond to this pink onslaught and just nods.
 
She stops suddenly at a corner office and knocks twice on the door.
 
"Come in" a familiar voice calls.
 
"Hyunnie, I have your legal letters ready to mail out. Oh, and I brought you another present! Look!"
 
"Oh thanks Tiffany unnie. What do you mean -" Seohyun looks up from her computer and notices Changmin standing there at the door.
 
Tiffany dashes forward and whispers excitedly, "This is him isn't it?! Your Elevator Hottie?"
 
Seohyun's face turns crimson and whispers back, "Unnie! He can hear you!"
 
She walks over and says, "Changmin-ssi! Let me just grab my purse. It wasn't too hard to find me was it?"
 
Changmin hids a smirk and says "Of course and no, it wasn't too hard since I had Tiffany-ssi's help."
 
Tiffany grins and says "So what's going on between you two?"
 
"Unnie!"
 
"Chill Seo, I just meant what are you guys planning for lunch today? Or is it a secret?"
 
Changmin decides to rescue Seohyun from her teasing unnie and says, "Actually, it is a surprise. And we should get going since it's a little far away."
 
"Aw, that sounds nice. Ok, take good care of her then Changmin-ssi. It was nice meeting you." Tiffany replies.
 
"Don't worry, I will. It was nice meeting you too Tiffany-ssi." 
 
"Unnie, when I get back later we can go over those reports." Seohyun says as they head towards the elevator.
 
"Don't worry about that Hyunnie, just go and have a good time. Take as long as you like!" Tiffany winks and turns the corner before Seohyun can respond.
 
"Sorry about that Changmin-ssi, Tiffany unnie can get too excited sometimes."
 
He laughs and tries to put her at ease. "No worries, she was very nice. So, are you hungry?"
 
"Yes, and really curious. Where are we going?"
 
"It's a surprise remember? I can't give it away yet."
 
She pouts a little, puffing out her cheeks and he almost caves immediately.
 
"Hey, no underhanded tactics." he says and pokes one cheek gently so it deflates.
 
She laughs, "But I want to know."

"You will, soon enough," he promises.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
In his car, she does her best to guess their mystery destination.
 
"Is it Chinese?"
 
"Nope."
 
"Italian?"
 
"Not even close."
 
"American?"
 
Laughing, he takes his eyes off the road for a second to look at her and says, "Maybe."
 
"Changmin-ssi!"
 
But he just shakes his head, grinning and expertly navigates them through streets she is unfamiliar with.
 
Finally, they stop in a quiet street with rows of blooming magnolia trees lining the sidewalk.
 
"Oh, how lovely" Seohyun murmurs as she steps out of the car. "Where are we? I don't think I've ever seen this part of Seoul."
 
"Yes, not many people know about this area. I used to come here all the time as a child with my friends from school. We'd play in that park over there and then when we were hungry, get snacks at this place."
 
She smiles at these sweet memories and follows him to a small restaurant with delicious smells wafting through the door.
 
"Hey, there's our boy Changmin. We were worried that all this food will be going to waste without your frequent visits!" Seohyun watches as a friendly looking man in his forties comes over and embraces her date in a hug.
 
"You know I can't stay away long, hyung." Changmin says as he hugs him back. "Let me introduce you to someone. Junsu, this is Seo Joo hyun; Seo, this is my good friend and owner of the best restaurant in Seoul, Kim Junsu."
 
"Aish, listen to this kid - always trying to flatter me. But it's about time you brought a pretty friend with you here, Changmin!" Junsu exclaims merrily. "Too often you come alone and sulk in that corner by yourself."
 
Before Changmin can defend himself, Seohyun steps up and bows.
 
"It's great to meet you, I actually go by Seohyun. You have a lovely restaurant."
 
Junsu seems completely charmed by her and says, "Why thank you Miss Seohyun. Come, let me show you to our best table." He then pulls her chair out for her and carefully explains the menu, saying "Only the best for Changmin's girl."
 
Amused, Changmin just shakes his head at his hyung's actions. 
 
After he's left to take care of their order, Seohyun grins at Changmin.

"I see why you keep this place a secret now."
 
"Just wait until you taste the food." he replies.
 
Their meal turns out to be as delicious as promised and the two are completely at ease as they eat and chat away happily. He admires how she digs into her food without mentioning a diet. The other girls he's dated or been set up with all seem to only want salad and water.
 
"So wait, you used to watch Keroro too when you were little?" Seohyun exclaims, between a bite of kimchi.
 
"Of course, it was the best show out there. Actually, probably still is."
 
She gasps, "I totally agree. Last weekend, I wanted to reminisce and I ended up watching 20 episodes in a row. But I thought it came out after your generation?"
 
He laughs at her enthusiasm, "I was still in school when it came out. I'm an '88."
 
"Oooh I see. I'm a '91 liner actually. Hey, that makes you my oppa." she realizes. Trying it out she says, "Chagmin oppa."
 
She blushes, "Is it ok that I call you oppa?"
 
He is delighted and wants to tell her it is more than ok but restrains himself and nods, "Of course."
 
They are both awkwardly happy and can't meet each other's eyes again. 
 
Suddenly, they are interrupted by a voice - "Changmin, you beat me here! Did you at least save any food for your favorite starving reporter?"
 
Changmin looks up and sees Kyuhyun walking towards them with a wide grin on his face. 

"Ah, Kyu - I didn't realize you'd be here today."
 
"Hey, after 6 months away I'm amazed I didn't camp out here this morning. Oh, sorry, you have company?"
 
"Right, Seohyun, this is Cho Kyuhyun." Changmin says, making the introductions again.

"Oh, are you two brothers?" Seohyun asks innocently.
 
Changmin's eyes widen - he's completely forgotten that he's hidden his identity from her! Glancing at Kyuhyun, he silently and desperately tries to communicate to his friend that he needs to play along and not ask questions.
 
Said friend saw this look and mercifully only raised a surprised eyebrow.
 
"Actually," Kyuhyun starts, "Minnie here is not my brother...." At this, Changmin moves to elbow Kyuhyun swiftly in the side, but the slippery journalist anticipates his reaction and neatly dodges the attack. 
 
Kyuhyun grins, "We're cousins."
 
Changmin sighs in relief, but almost too soon because upon realizing who she must be, Kyuhyun mischievously kneels down and takes Seohyun's hand, kissing the back lightly. "And this muy bonita senorita must be the girl Changmin keeps telling me about from his office."
 
Seohyun blushes and looks flustered. Changmin grabs Kyuhyun and pulls him up roughly. 
 
"Kyu, behave!"
 
"Esta bien. Habla usted espanol?  (It's ok. Do you speak Spanish?) " Seohyun responds in Spanish, momentarily shocking both boys.
 
Kyuhyun recovers and laughs. "Si, un poco. Acabo de regresar de Argentina. Donde aprendio espanol? (Yes, a little. I just returned from Argentina. Where did you learn Spanish?) "
 
"En la universidad. Pero esta es la primera vez que he llegado a usarlo en una conversacion. Es maravilloso econtrar a alguien que habla tambien. (In college. But this is the first time that I've gotten to use it in a conversation. It's wonderful to find someone who also speaks.)
 
Kyuhyun looks impressed. "Senorita, es un placer. (Miss, it is my pleasure)"
 
Meanwhile, Changmin is looking back and forth between the two suspiciously. 
 
"Seohyun-ah, do I need to remove this guy?"
 
"Ah, sorry Changmin oppa! No, I was just saying how nice it is to find someone else who speaks Spanish. I don't think your cousin needs to leave - "
 
"Min, don't worry. Third wheeling is not my style." Kyuhyun interupts and pats Changmin on the back reassuringly. He then turns to Seohyun and winking, says "Senorita, if Changmin had not met you first ... well, let's just leave it at that." he laughs. Saluting them both, Kyuhyun is thankfully gone before he wrecks more havoc.
 
"Sorry Seohyun-ah, he can go a little overboard sometimes..."
 
"It's ok oppa. I'm glad I got to meet him and learn more about you today." she says.
 
He looks at her and decides he can't regret any of it. "How about next time, you choose the place then?"
 
She grins, "Deal."
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
"Seohyun-ah, I'm driving you home tonight - no arguing."
 
"But Oppa - "
 
"No arguing." He is smiling, but not giving an inch.
 
She sighs and nods, knowing how stubborn he can be about things like this. It has been 2 weeks now since they've unofficially began seeing each other. Truthfully, it has been a blissful 2 weeks - she feels like her life before meeting him is a dim and colorless memory. She knows she hasn't shared everything with him yet, but she thinks she's ready to tonight.
 
"See, this really isn't out of my way at all. And it makes me worry a lot less if I can see you safely home." he says, as they pull up to her apartment.
 
She smiles, "Thank you, Changmin Oppa."
 
He grins and leans forward, kissing her gently on the forehead. "Good night Seo"
 
She hesitates - "Actually, Oppa, would you like to come in for a little bit?"
 
He raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure? It's pretty late."
 
She blushes and then explains, "There's someone I want you to meet."
 
Behind her, he suddenly notices that there is already a light shining through her kitchen window. Changmin is now curious and concerned at the same time but willingly locks his car and follows her up the stairs. 
 
She unlocks the door quietly, and then calls out "Omma! I'm home and I've brought a friend."
 
"Her Omma?" he wonders internally.
 
A moment later, shuffling feet can be heard and a thin, frail woman with the same almond-shaped eyes as his Seohyun enters. 
 
"Joohyun-ah, how was work? Oh, and who is this handsome gentleman?"
 
"Omma, this Cho Changmin, my friend from work. He drove me home tonight."
 
"It's very nice to meet you Ma'am." Changmin says, bowing respectfully. 
 
"Oh, it was very nice of you to take care of my Joohyun. Please come sit."
 
Changmin sits down on an elegant white leather sofa as Seohyun hangs up their jackets and goes to make tea. Looking around, he notices how the apartment has been very tastefully decorated with modern, expensive looking furniture. This is strange though, because Seohyun doesn't even drive a car. He had always assumed she needed to save on the cost, but that didn't seem to be the case judging by how they lived.
 
"You must be tired, young man. Young people are always working too late these days."
 
"Ah, thank you Ma'am, but I will be fine after a good night's rest."
 
Mrs. Seo nods tranquilly. 
 
"Omma, how was your day?" Seohyun asks as she enters with the drinks.
 
"It was lovely dear. I made improvements to the garden. You know how your father loves my homegrown vegetables."
 
Seohyun agrees, but with a pained look on her face.
 
"Well, I'll let you two stay up and talk. I'm afraid I'm already feeling tired."
 
"Ah, I'm sorry for visiting at such a late hour..." Changmin says, as he stands.
 
"Oh no, Joohyun knows I don't like visitors during the day. This was very nice." Patting his hand, Mrs. Seo takes her leave.
 
After they hear the door close upstairs, Seohyun sinks into the sofa. 
 
"I'm sorry Oppa, maybe this wasn't a good idea."
 
"No, Seohyun, your Omma was very kind and I'm glad you let me meet her. But what's wrong? You can tell me."
 
She smiles, and takes his hand into hers. 
 
"I don't usually share this part of me, because I must protect her you see. But, I ... I trust you Changmin Oppa."
 
He nods and soothingly her hand.
 
"My Appa was an international lawyer. He and my mother fell in love and married during law school. A few years later, he won a landmark case against a foreign company in Korea and became very successful. We saw less and less of him due to his busy schedule, but he tried his best to be a part of our lives. One day - "
 
Her voice shakes, and Changmin grasps her hand tighter, with a sinking feeling that this story would not have a happy ending.
 
Breathing deeply, Seohyun continues. "One day, he was rushing back because I had a ballet recital that he promised to attend. But there was snow on the ground and he didn't see the other car until too late. After... after the funeral, my Omma was never the same again. Some days, she remembers what happens, but most of the time, she believes he is just away on one of his business trips. The one thing she does remember is the car - she refuses to drive or let me drive one. She prefers seeing people at night because she tires herself out during the day so she doesn't have to think too hard about it and can sleep more peacefully."
 
He now understands - he understands why Seohyun has refused his offers to drive her home everytime before today. He understands why she was so excited to talk to Kyuhyun in Spanish that day. He understands why this bright, hardworking girl with so many talents is stuck working as a translator for an electronics company when her dream is clearly to follow in her father's footsteps.
 
What he doesn't understand is how she has been able to go to work and continue with life so cheerfully every day.
 
"Seohyun-ah." his voice is too full of emotion, so instead, he reaches out and grasps her in a tight hug.
 
"Oppa," she says softly, as he her back and they rock back and forth.
 
He tightens their embrace.
 
"Thank you, Oppa."
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
One week later:
 
 
"Oppa, you didn't have to -"
 
"I know. I wanted to."
 
"They're very beautiful."
 
"Yes" he says, but his eyes are on her and not the flowers in her hands.
 
Her large eyes look up into his and he decides to throw caution to the wind. Leaning down, he gently brushes his lips against hers. She gasps when he deepens the kiss, his arms moving to embrace her waist.
 
"Changmin - " she says, breathless. 
 
Kiss.
 
"We shouldn't - "
 
Kiss.
 
"At work -"
 
Kiss.
 
Ding.
 
"Ok, you win for now Hyunnie."
 
"I'll see you for lunch, Oppa. Work hard!"
 
He smiles and runs his fingers through her hair, tucking some of the coppery strands behind her ear. 
 
"See you soon, Seohyun-ah"
 
She steps off the elevator and beams at him.
 
They wave to each other until he disappears from view behind the metal doors.
 
Changmin shakes his head. "How am I going to concentrate, Seohyun-ah, when I know you are so close?"
 
 
 -------------------------------------------------
 
"Oppa, I think there is something we need to discuss."
 
"What do you mean Hyunnie?"
 
They are getting coffee one afternoon during their break. She gives him an inscrutable look as he pays and hands her the caramel macchiato.
 
"I was talking with Tiffany unnie yesterday. It was strange - she was saying that she swore she saw your picture in the latest company newsletter."
 
Changmin winces, knowing where this is going.
 
"The caption had your name listed. Well, not really your name, right Oppa?"
 
He takes a gulp of his drink and wonders how the sweet girl he has been dating can be so intimidating right now. 
 
"Seohyun-ah ... this is going to sound silly."
 
She arches one delicate eyebrow. "Try me."
 
He sighs, "I may have, when I met you, tried to keep my identity a secret."
 
He takes a peek at her - nope, still scary.
 
"I wanted to get to know you, but without all of the complicated tags that come with being Shim Changmin."
 
Taking her hand in his, he looks her in the eyes and says, "I've dated a lot of women Seohyun, whether by choice or through some pre-made match. You're the first one whose opinion I truly cared about and who I feel most comfortable with. Does that make sense?"
 
She nods slowly, and then asks, "When were you going to tell me?"
 
"If there is one thing I regret about this, it is not telling you myself. But lately, it didn't seem important anymore - I wasn't trying to hide anything from you."
 
She says thoughtfully, "I suppose we all have things we don't want to share with people immediately. But Oppa, you have to promise me no secrets in the future."
 
"I promise."
 
"Pinky swear."
 
"Pinky swear."
 
She smiles, and everything is right in his world again.
 
"I should have known, there's no way you and Kyuhyun could be related."
 
"Hey! What is that supposed to mean?"
 
Her only response is to shrug and drink her coffee.
 
"Seo Joo Hyun!"
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
For the first time in a long time, she feels like she can literally touch the sky. Waving her arms above her head, she imagines she is a bird, soaring away through the clouds.
 
"Enjoying the view up there?"
 
"Oppa, the sky is so beautiful." She proclaims and throws her arms around his neck.
 
"Umph, that's good Hyunnie, but remember that Oppa needs to breathe still."
 
"Ah, sorry!" She loosens her grip slightly but remains drapped across his back.
 
He grins, "Don't worry, your noble steed is still very capable."
 
The two are making the best of a crisp autumn day by strolling through the park. Well, it had begun as a stroll, but Changmin wanted to give his girl a piggyback after watching a father and daughter do the same ahead of them.
 
She feels as light as a feather and he wants her this close to him all fo the time. But today, he is going to set her free.
 
Seeing a park bench, he sets her down gently on it and turns to look up at her. "What a glorious view, " he thinks as he admires her twinkling eyes, loose bronze ringlets, and sweet smile. She bends down and kisses him on the lips saying, "This is a new angle."
 
He gently rubs his nose against hers. 
 
 "Seo Joo Hyun, I love you."
 
"I love you too Shim Changmin."
 
"So I have to let you fly."
 
"What? Oppa?"
 
"Seohyun, here - read this letter."
 
She furrows her brows and sits down to read it. He takes a seat next to her, waiting.
 
"This... this says that I've been accepted to Harvard University's foreign diplomacy program. How? I didn't apply for this - "
 
"I applied for you" he says.
 
"What?!"
 
"They wanted 3 writing samples and 3 professional recommendations. It was easy since you're a fantastic writer. I only collected a few of your memos from work and asked for recommendations from your college professors. They still remember you Seo, you're brilliant and everyone wants you to succeed."
 
"But, but Oppa.... this is too much. I can't."
 
"No." he says, his hands grasping her shoulders. "Stop denying yourself this - you deserve to fulfill your dreams Seohyun."
 
"What about Omma? Changmin you know why -"
 
"Yes, I do. I've talked to your Omma, and Seohyun, the best thing you can do is to allow both of you to move on. If you would like, I have found a pension for her to stay at in the countryside, only 1 hour from Seoul. The owner is also an older woman who would like some help with the property. Your Omma will have an active, independent life - a fresh start. We can visit the place this weekend and you can see for yourself."
 
She knows that everything he is saying makes sense, and the once far off dream of studying abroad never seemed closer to coming true. But there is still one thing holding her back.
 
"What about you, Oppa? What about us?" Seohyun asks very quietly.
 
"I don't want to let you go Hyunnie - " he says.
 
"Then don't." she interrupts and hugs him as tight as she can, burying her face in his chest.
 
"But that wouldn't be fair." He tilts her chin up and looks into her eyes. "This is an amazing opportunity for you my dear girl. Go and meet your potential Seohyun-ah. I'll be here waiting for you."
 
The tears are now threatening to spill out from her eyes. She blinks and one slides down her cheek. Ever so gently, he leans forward and kisses it away. 
 
"I'll study hard then Oppa, and make you proud."
 
He tucks her under his chin, committing this moment to memory - the moment he was brave enough to let her go.
 
-------------------------------------------------
 
In the following weeks before her departure, they spend as much time together as possible. He doesn't want to let her out of his sight for even a minute, to the point where she has started bringing her laptop upstairs to his office so they can work together. One night, she decides to cook dinner for him at his apartment, her excuse being that she needs to show him how to eat healthier before she leaves. He gives her free reign, only realizing his colossal mistake after she makes a four course meal with one main ingredient: sweet potoato. Afterwards, they watch a movie on his sofa, but end up falling asleep together, his head on her lap.
 
On the weekends, they visit her favorite places in Seoul so she can take copious pictures. And in every one of them, Seohyun makes sure to include her favorite model.
 
The night before her flight, they hold a party at Junsu's restaurant. Everyone she is close to is there - Tiffany, Kyuhyun, even her Omma, who is already looking stronger after moving to the countryside - laughing and showering her with words of encouragement and love.
 
After dinner, Changmin takes her aside.
 
"Hyunnie, I have a present for you."
 
"Oppa, another present? They won't let me into America once they see how much I'm bringing."
 
It's true - over the past week, he has shamelessly given her present after present. 
 
"This is something you won't have to pack."
 
She opens the envelope he hands her with curiousity.
 
"Two plane tickets - to Paris?!"
 
He grins. "I checked your school calendar- you have 3 weeks off for winter break. I figure we should spend it in style."
 
He watches as the emotions flit across her face from shock to understanding to unmitigated joy. 
 
"Then I'll get to see you? So soon?"
 
"For Christmas." he promises.
 
She launches herself into his arms, disregarding the fact that all of their friends are watching them with amusement and he spins her around joyfully.
 
"Oppa, there's one place we have to see in Paris."
 
"Where's that?"
 
"The Eiffel Tower."
 
"Really? I thought you would want to avoid touristy places like that."
 
"... But I hear they have this great elevator..."
 
His lips crash into hers before she can finish.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Author's note: Sorry everyone! Somehow, my update got deleted.... I had to rewrite some of this from memory. So if the wording seems a little off, it's because I'm spending my lunch trying to remember what I wrote last night.
 
Thanks for all of the lovely comments ^^
 
And yes, I think I will write that epilogue.