Time Machine

Time Machine

I sat there, my head in my hands. What had I done? Why had this happened? I need a time machine. I want to go back to the day we met. I want to redo every moment with him. I need to. I need this to be fixed. I love him. I need him. I don’t know what to do!

As I sat there, memories flashed by. I remembered everything: our first conversation, our first date, the first time he held my hand, our first kiss. I remembered it all. I grabbed my jacket and left the apartment.

I began walking along the street. Before I knew it, I was standing by a bench in the park: the bench. I just stood there and stared at it. This was the last place I saw him: where my last mistake came to haunt me. The last place we sat together before he left, not even bothering to say goodbye. I sat in the very same spot as I did that day. I sat and watched the road as cars drove past. Sudenly there was a loud crash and the rain poured. I remained there; unmoving as the rain fell over me and drenched me. I did nothing; just remained there, thinking.

Eventually I stood and continued walking. I arrived under a tree, not too far away. I looked up at its branches. Funny. Before, I always thought that it looked so beautiful and majestic, but now it seemed to be drooping and crying with me. I suppose it’s the rain. I stood there, in the very same poition I did that day. I reached out and touched the back as I did then.  I vividly remember everything. I reached up to thouch my lips, as though I can even feel that first kiss. I dropped my hands and quickly tore my eyes from the tree.

I started moving on.

I went a few blocks, arriving outside of a nice restauant. I stood before the window, pearing in. There was the table: our table. I watched as another couple sat there, eating happily. I wonder: Is it their first date too? Doubtful. I turned my head away and began walking.

I was beginning to get hungry now. I was cold, and wet and barely noticed as I opened the café doors. Once I was inside, I paused to remember. This was it. This was the beginning. I looked over to the counter where we had stood in line together. I wiped my hair out of my face, Right there. This is where we met. I slowly stepped forward. I found myself standing in the very spot that I did on that day. I dragged my hand along the counter.

“Miss? Miss?” I looked up to see the concerned gaze of the worker behind the counter. I smiled sadly and walked on, not having the energy to speak.

I continued walking along, not knowing where to go from here. I arrived back on my front steps and sighed. I sat as the rain continued to pour down over me.

I suppose that’s as close to a time machine I’ll ever get.